Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Van M1

Options
  • 29-09-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Its there since 8:30am this morning

Just Heads up for the GATSO parked behind roadwork sign just after the M50 slip and before the airport exit its in the 80K wouldn't you know. I spotted it and slowed alright but i can see a pile up happening....so much for road safety :rolleyes:

If only they'd this much enthusiasm and creativity catching real criminals.

gatso2ew9.jpg

gatso1zc6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

you shouldn't be taking pictures while driving, I've forwarded your IP address to An Garda Suiochana
    just kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That really is a stupid place for a gatso van ...he's blocking the line of sight of the people trying to merge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

My god, you wonder what makes them think ah sure i'll just park the old gatso here, ejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

*Tripper* wrote: »
    them think....

I admire your optimism that some thought went into that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

^ Ha! It's funny cause it's true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

peasant wrote: »
    That really is a stupid place for a gatso van ...he's blocking the line of sight of the people trying to merge

It's behind the roadworks sign so it's not blocking much more than that was already in fairness.

I predict no accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I joined the M1 at this slip road this morning and the Gatso van was there. I was aware it was there but it did not block my view. Had no problem with it there. Good place for a Gatso as there are a lot of merging lanes here and speeders would pose a danger. I really can't see the problem with it or any speed camera being there, or almost anywhere for that matter. If you are observing the speed limit, then it will NEVER be an issue with you. They can put 1000's of cameras around the country and it won't bother me one bit. Average speed cameras would be better though, I'll admit. The only reason for people being against the cameras is that those same people are speeders and they feel they are being denied their "right" to pose a danger to normal road users. Saying it's an infringement on privacy or a money making scheme is a load of bo$$ocks!!! Grow up, don't speed and we all might live a little bit longer.

As for the Gatso van causing a pile up, the only way I can see it happening is if people are taking photographs of the van while they're driving. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

you shouldn't be taking pictures while driving, I've forwarded your IP address to An Garda Suiochana
    just kidding!
    No need to, the Gatso van has a sophisticated Infra red camera with zoom in ANPR capabilities, They already has his number plate logged. He will receive a summons in due course for holding a hand held device while driving and also obstructing justice by posting advanced warnings of the speed check. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

highdef wrote: »
    I joined the M1 at this slip road this morning and the Gatso van was there. I was aware it was there but it did not block my view. Had no problem with it there. Good place for a Gatso as there are a lot of merging lanes here and speeders would pose a danger. I really can't see the problem with it or any speed camera being there, or almost anywhere for that matter. If you are observing the speed limit, then it will NEVER be an issue with you. They can put 1000's of cameras around the country and it won't bother me one bit. Average speed cameras would be better though, I'll admit. The only reason for people being against the cameras is that those same people are speeders and they feel they are being denied their "right" to pose a danger to normal road users. Saying it's an infringement on privacy or a money making scheme is a load of bo$$ocks!!! Grow up, don't speed and we all might live a little bit longer.

As for the Gatso van causing a pile up, the only way I can see it happening is if people are taking photographs of the van while they're driving. :rolleyes:

Let he without sin, cast the first stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

thanks for the warning but i think its to late haha

• Advertisement

lol. And I'm not on a high horse before someone says that.
    I really can't see what the gripe is with the safety/speed cameras. Should I think more along the lines of "How dare I be punished for breaking the law" or "How dare I be punished for driving without due care and attention". Why is everyone obsessed with speed cameras? Seriously........WHY???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Sorry who was taking photos?? I've a camera in my car on constant record. Usual high and mighty attitude. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

The op has a dash camera, so I don't think he was using a hand held camera

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

lol. And I'm not on a high horse before someone says that.
    I really can't see what the gripe is with the safety/speed cameras. Should I think more along the lines of "How dare I be punished for breaking the law" or "How dare I be punished for driving without due care and attention". Why is everyone obsessed with speed cameras? Seriously........WHY???

Because the speed limit there is too low (as it is almost everywhere in this country). The cameras aren't placed in accident prone areas and are placed in areas where the speed limit is too low, and that's why people have a gripe with them.

eringobragh, I apologise for assuming you had been taking photographs with a hand held camera. I should have known from the quality of the pics that they were stills from video. Sorry.

bman, I don't think the speed limit at this point is too low at all. The merge beside the Gatso van in the photos is very short and even at 80 KMH, it can be quite difficult to merge when traffic is anything but light. Just after this, there is a lot more merging with people trying to get on and off the airport bound lane. I have seen a Gatso van slightly further north literally just before the 120 KMH signs. I'm sure a lot of people would see this as being unfair, however the new limit does not actually start until you pass these signs. But I can see how people can see it as being a little bit "sneaky".

Of course, if we had good drivers more prevelant in the country, things would be much better. We need less of the "I drive at the same speed all the time, no matter what the limit may be". For example, I sometimes drive the on the R154 to Trim from Dublin and countless times, I will be driving at the posted limit and will need to overtake a car going about 60 or 70. Then when I get to Batterstown, I slow to 50 and the car will suddenly catch up on me, overtake me near the far end of the village and then when the limit goes back to 80, I catch back up and overtake when/if safe and the process is repeated again at Kiltale.

Anyway, I've gone OT....sorry. :)

eringobragh, I apologise for assuming you had been taking photographs with a hand held camera. I should have known from the quality of the pics that they were stills from video. Sorry.

No problem ;)
    But I can see how people can see it as being a little bit "sneaky".

Certainly is lLucky i was joining off the slip just before it and was merging but i can see plenty being reefed!!

@ eringobragh, going slightly off topic, what type of camera set-up have you got installed in your car? Where is it mounted?

skibum wrote: »
    @ eringobragh, going slightly off topic, what type of camera set-up have you got installed in your car? Where is it mounted?

The answers below should help you ;)
    cormie wrote:
    Howdy, saw your youtube link, is that your profile? Where did you get the cam? Was it pricey? Would be good to have incase anything happened. Is it complicated to set up, what does it record to, how long can it record for? can it loop over what you've already recorded if no incidents happen etc?

Regards,
    Corm :)

Hi Cormie,

Wow alot of questions lol
    cormie wrote:
    Howdy, saw your youtube link, is that your profile?

It is
    cormie wrote:
    Where did you get the cam? Was it pricey?

Cameras cheapest part the DVR is the most expensive but even thats pretty cheap

The cameras an outdoor one . Its a Sony CCD important to get a good one as theres alot of shiite minicams out there! I removed the casing from and IR array and its about the size of a large stamp and mounted it on the RVM stalkwith auto molding tape (very neat and stealth)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/S51-CCTV-Outdoor-SONY-1-3-CCD-Security-Camera-36-IR_W0QQitemZ360086293001QQihZ023QQcategoryZ48632QQss
    cormie wrote:
    Would be good to have incase anything happened.

Definately
    cormie wrote:
    Is it complicated to set up

Well it depends on how good you are with car electrics i found it pretty easy. Its a matter of removing the A pillar and getting a few 12v power leads. I hardwired a cig lighter socker with one of these (www.accessafuse.com) and powered the mic and camera. The DVR needs a inverter to drop it to 5v.
    cormie wrote:
    Is it complicated to set up, what does it record to, how long can it record for?

The Recorder is a small DVR which i coupled in a 2GB SD Card it gets a couple of days driving before it loops over the first clips

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Portable-DVR-Audio-Video-Recorder-MOTION-ACTIVATED_W0QQitemZ290258062783QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The DVR needs 5v so a maplins car adapter does the trick and I've hardwired and hidden the system so no ugly wires everywhere you'd have to show someone the camera o they wouldn't see it
    cormie wrote:
    can it loop over what you've already recorded if no incidents happen etc?

Yes!! You'll need a 12v mic as well there only 10$ or so on ebay as well and a converter BNC to RCA (Female) for the camera!!

Any more q's ill be happy to help

Thanks for the info, looks good, will give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I would love someone to go and put a hidden camera in your car tonight while you are asleep in your postman pat PJ's and then review how consistent you are with the speed limit over a few days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh, I'd love that Sizzler :) After reading the installation for eringobragh's set-up, I'm being tempted to fit one myself. So please, do come over and fit one. It'll save me money and time.

I'd even post the footage up here if it qualms any fears that I'm lying about my driving.

I'd say you'd hate to be driving in my proximity Sizzler. If there is a bus lane (not open to public vehicles) and it has a line of cars in it, I will drive all the way to where the bus lane ends in the normal right lane and then indicate and stop to wait to get into the left lane, if I do actually need to get into that left lane of course. Unfortunately, it blocks traffic on the main lane but then again, it's not my fault at all. Some people have said that I should just join the line of traffic in the bus lane but I don't want points in my licence and I also don't want to be delaying possibly 100 or more people on one or more buses. So by obeying the rules of the road, I get to pass out a load of cars and I save time.

Oh, and I don't wear Postman Pat pyjamas in bed - I sleep naked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

more than we wanted to know :eek: :eek: :eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

51319_m.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Pretty cool idea to have the camera. Definally gonna install one on my new car.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Pretty cool idea to have the camera. Definally gonna install one on my new car.

Its worth every penny to be honest. I got it because of a few shady incidents. If you've the patience to source all the bits and are handy at DIY you should get a nice stealth install.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 horsenaughton

people complain when they see no guards then when they do see guards they say they sud be away catching criminals there no pleasing the irish

people complain when they see no guards then when they do see guards they say they sud be away catching criminals there no pleasing the irish

Can you try and type that in English??????

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Oh, I'd love that Sizzler :) After reading the installation for eringobragh's set-up, I'm being tempted to fit one myself. So please, do come over and fit one. It'll save me money and time.

I'd even post the footage up here if it qualms any fears that I'm lying about my driving.

I'd say you'd hate to be driving in my proximity Sizzler. If there is a bus lane (not open to public vehicles) and it has a line of cars in it, I will drive all the way to where the bus lane ends in the normal right lane and then indicate and stop to wait to get into the left lane, if I do actually need to get into that left lane of course. Unfortunately, it blocks traffic on the main lane but then again, it's not my fault at all. Some people have said that I should just join the line of traffic in the bus lane but I don't want points in my licence and I also don't want to be delaying possibly 100 or more people on one or more buses. So by obeying the rules of the road, I get to pass out a load of cars and I save time.

God, people like you make me angry. here is my opinion- stopping in a moving lane like that rather than joining the que is dangerous and is asking to be rear ended!
    Its worth every penny to be honest. I got it because of a few shady incidents. If you've the patience to source all the bits and are handy at DIY you should get a nice stealth install.
    I would love to have this setup. there has been so many times i have wished i had a camera when idiots are doing STUPID THINGS!!
    Out of interest, are many questions raised when you are stopped at checkpoints with regards to the purpose of the camera?

I would love to have this setup. there has been so many times i have wished i had a camera when idiots are doing STUPID THINGS!!
    Out of interest, are many questions raised when you are stopped at checkpoints with regards to the purpose of the camera?

Its a pinhole camera mate, It can't be seen, no lie!!! It's a about the size of a large postage stamp. Only down side is that sunlight can effect it the picture as the cameras no iris correction but we don't set to much of that over here :D

As for your checkpoint question.

See for yourself ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yMUUXiLPY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Its a pinhole camera mate, It can't be seen, no lie!!! It's a about the size of a large postage stamp. Only down side is that sunlight can effect it the picture as the cameras no iris correction but we don't set to much of that over here :D

As for your checkpoint question.

See for yourself ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yMUUXiLPY
    That is really cool- and seems like it can be done for relatively cheap also! Will certainly look into a similar setup for myself. There should be an incentive of lower premiums from insurance companies if you have it installed.

Advertisement