Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vasectomy at 25

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know someone who recently got her tubes tied at the grand old age of 26.... after having her fifth child! It was difficult enough for them to agree to do it.

I remember my mam telling me that she had to have my dad's permission for the hospital to tie her tubes after baby number 6. They tried to talk her out of it, and it was days after my brother's birth when she actually found out it was done. They were mad secretive about it. That was only 24 yrs ago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Personally I think anyone who has a child before 25, and doesn't have the financial capability to take care it, is an idiot. You should have used contraception. We're all human (I hope), we should all have the mental capacity to plan ahead. If you want children, create an adequate financial base so that you can feed them and give them a decent education in the future. Why should society have sympathy on someone who doesn't use the head, as they say "It's your baby". Sorry if I'm offending some people by speaking so bluntly on the matter but it's just my opinion.

The lad I mentioned was working and had the money to look after the babies at 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The lad I mentioned was working and had the money to look after the babies at 18.

At 18? Get up out of that.

At 18? Get up out of that.

Yea, he was working as a plumber since 15 years old. The mother works as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Sure at 18 he's only stopped being a child himself.

• Advertisement

Yea, he was working as a plumber since 15 years old. The mother works as well.

I've known a few people who've had children fairly early. One person I know had a child at 19 and was in a similar situation, he had been working full time for a number of year. However, he still wasn't able to cope by the time the child reached 3 y/o and started school. He got assistance from his own parents.

Your friend had twins at 18, which would have been be double the pressure. I find he hard to believe that he wasn't or isn't at present struggling to take care of the 4 children he has. I also doubt that your friend was mature enough at age 18 to have children, or anyone at that age for that matter.

I've known a few people who've had children fairly early. One person I know had a child at 19 and was in a similar situation, he had been working full time for a number of year. However, he still wasn't able to cope by the time the child reached 3 y/o and started school. He got assistance from his own parents.

Your friend had twins at 18, which would have been be double the pressure. I find he hard to believe that he wasn't or isn't at present struggling to take care of the 4 children he has. I also doubt that your friend was mature enough at age 18 to have children, or anyone at that age for that matter.

I don't know whether he was getting money from parents, I know money is tight but they get by. I didn't know him when he was 18 so don't know how mature he was back then.

I don't know whether he was getting money from parents, I know money is tight but they get by. I didn't know him when he was 18 so don't know how mature he was back then.

I say we can make a fair few assumptions on how mature he was ... the fact that he didn't use contraception would be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fails in 1 out of every 2000 procedures. Just saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My daughter was born when i was 21 and i worked two jobs to support her,having children at a young age makes you grow up very fast,well it did for me anyway

• Advertisement

I say we can make a fair few assumptions on how mature he was ... the fact that he didn't use contraception would be one.

Maybe he used contraception but it failed. I'll ask him and find out. All sorts of people don't use contracrption who otherwise you'd never say they were immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Would be great if it was a five minute job and easily reversible. Then every teenager could have it done and reversed when they decided they actually wanted to start a family. It would solve a hell of a lot of problems in society.

Maybe he used contraception but it failed. I'll ask him and find out. All sorts of people don't use contracrption who otherwise you'd never say they were immature.

Hmmm, he has 4 children. Must have failed a lot for him ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I do DIY vasectomys for cheap no counciling requird. Two bricks and a sharp pain but its worth it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Would be great if it was a five minute job and easily reversible. Then every teenager could have it done and reversed when they decided they actually wanted to start a family. It would solve a hell of a lot of problems in society.

What about the dramatic rise in STIs and HIV as people won't use protection? The British govenment realised a decade ago the economic cost of an STI is very much greater than a child born and parents on benefits.

Hmmm, he has 4 children. Must have failed a lot for him ....

Or maybe the girlfriend decides to trick him and not take her pill.

Or maybe the girlfriend decides to trick him and not take her pill.

Is that unmarried mother syndrome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's hardly major surgery, I don't think you're even put to sleep for it, and it's reversible.

You could be describing contraception there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

smk89 wrote: »
    What about the dramatic rise in STIs and HIV as people won't use protection? The British govenment realised a decade ago the economic cost of an STI is very much greater than a child born and parents on benefits.

They'll soon learn to cover up after a dose of knob rot.

Is that unmarried mother syndrome?

I don't know the details of what went on in their relationship so I won't assume anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement