Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Capri

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

kbannon wrote: »
    I wonder will GM produce a modern equivalent of the Manta?

Well, if Ford do put this car into production, no doubt GM will also jump on the bandwagon, as they have done in the past, following Ford's lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Vegeta wrote: »
    the two hikers in the background must have got a nice surprise to see a blonde lady prancing around in her undies.

How the hell did you notice the two hikers????????? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Agreed, the rear side windows are about the only thing that hint at the real Capri.

As an aside, a bloke I went to school with (many years ago) insisted on pronouncing it "caparee", which we all reckoned was the Irish for 'sandwiches' (ceapairí); therefore, to a small group of lads who went to a certain school back in the '70s, this classic car is known as the 'Ford Sandwiches'. :D

Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To echoe others, it's not a capri. It's just a new car that Ford decided to attache the Capri name to. The should have just modernised the design but kept it as similar as possible.

Or better still, built it exactly as before with no changes. :)

It looks ike an Alfa to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Nice car but have to agree with some of the others, it is not a good example of how a modern capri should look.

Any one of the attached is a good example of modern take on retro cars.

Not mention what Fiat, Mini and VW have produced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Nice car but have to agree with some of the others, it is not a good example of how a modern capri should look.

Any one of the attached is a good example of modern take on retro cars.

Not mention what Fiat, Mini and VW have produced.

Exactly, the four headlight, long bonnet, aggressive front end is what defined the Capri. The new one is very stylish, but is no capri.

But damn, how gorgeous are the retro Camaro and concept Miura?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nice looking car, but more hot hatch than coupe to me.

I also thought Volvo / Brera as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I had to look twice to convince myself it wasn't a re-badged Volvo. I really can't understand those who say it looks good. Whilst the Volvo and new Scirocco have a certain 'something', this is really mediocre and totally lacking in originality.

Also they'd have some neck to call it a 'Capri' - almost zero Capri styling cues...

Anyway, back in the 70s Capris were driven by hairy-chesten men. Today affordable coupes are for platinum-blonde builders'molls and metro-men/gaysters...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Looks very Austrian to me- that is to say, halfway between Germany and Italy. I must admit I let out a PHWOAR when I saw the photos. Don't like the lack of fifth stud. It trivialises it a little IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Onkle wrote: »
    At least when VW did the new Beetle it just looked like a modern Beetle
    Nope, the New Beetle dose not resemble anything of a Beetle, it is more a tribute to the more recent Mazda 121. The only thing Capri about that new Ford is the rear passenger side windows which is copied by heaps of modern cars other than that it is just like any other Ford.

1191006652_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote: »
    Anyway, back in the 70s Capris were driven by hairy-chesten men. Today affordable coupes are for platinum-blonde builders'molls and metro-men/gaysters...

The Hyundai Coupe captures the spirit of the Capri better than anything else on the market. Cheap, cheerful, good looking, and available with some rather pedestrian engines.

Maybe the new Genesis coupe will be driven by hairy chested men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

mike65 wrote: »
    Capri my arse.

Mike.

Agreed 100%

It's an insult to the Capri name.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

They may as well call it a Model T for all the resemblence it bears to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

kbannon wrote: »
    (ignore the tart beside the car!)
    c12.jpg

The back of the new one is too high. The bonnet isn't long enough

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I thought it was a hyundai i30 or a kia c'eed at first look

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

1-Ford_Capri.JPG
    Now how does the new one bear any resemblence to that?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    1-Ford_Capri.JPG
    Now how does the new one bear any resemblence to that?? :confused:

Nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

That's nothing like a Capri. It needs a longer bonnet, a V6 engine, rear wheel drive and a bloody live axle at the rear. The styling is nothing like a Capri, Mk1 or Mk111! It doesn't even look like a Consul Capri!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I like it. It is not a Capri though. Also why are the exhausts on the front?

Advertisement