Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CyanogenMod Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

On the latest nightly version. All good, no glitches, and nice to have 4.4.3 and it's dialer app.

Only snag is, I can't see any way to hide apps in the drawer, the way you can on the m7 snapshot version.

I've had a good look around the settings and can't see how it's done.

Am I missing something here or have they done away with that function? I can live with it on a nightly, but if it's a sign of things to come on the next stable release.....
    Preference remains for me:

Settings > Home > Trebuchet (Settings) > Drawer > Hidden Apps

Alternatively, I suggest Nova Launcher - it's really very excellent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

advertsfox wrote: »
    Preference remains for me:

Settings > Home > Trebuchet (Settings) > Drawer > Hidden Apps

Alternatively, I suggest Nova Launcher - it's really very excellent ;)

Just spotted something. The "Home" settings are hidden unless you have more than just one launcher! I tried out Terrain Home last night, and because that's on there now, the "Home" setting appears in the Personalisation tab of Settings. When I click on Trebuchet, though, a further "settings" option does not appear. It used to, on the snapshot version, but it's not showing up for me now.

Nova is fine, if anything there are too many options! I like the simplicity of Trebuchet, but I really want to hide apps in the drawer!

Just spotted something. The "Home" settings are hidden unless you have more than just one launcher! I tried out Terrain Home last night, and because that's on there now, the "Home" setting appears in the Personalisation tab of Settings. When I click on Trebuchet, though, a further "settings" option does not appear. It used to, on the snapshot version, but it's not showing up for me now.

Nova is fine, if anything there are too many options! I like the simplicity of Trebuchet, but I really want to hide apps in the drawer!

Try this out - http://goo.im/devs/0xD34D/Trebuchet.apk

Thanks, but that apk won't open after install. Might have to look at nova again...

Check the nightly and snapshot change logs, it may say something about changes being made to Trebuchet. What phone do you have?

• Advertisement

Check the nightly and snapshot change logs, it may say something about changes being made to Trebuchet. What phone do you have?

HTC One M7

HTC One M7
    Ok well I checked the changelogs and it seems more Trebuchet changes are available in the nightlies. It seems that with the newer theme engine being implemented, Trebuchet has got some necessary updates.

Add a custom home screen to Trebuchet. (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Trebuchet: custom home (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Revert font change support (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Replace ugly Drawer setting (Sort Mode) (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)

I always use nightlies (Xperia Z1) and have very little bugs in comparison to snapshot builds. I just update weekly as opposed to daily, you should too.

http://www.cmxlog.com/11/m7/

Ok well I checked the changelogs and it seems more Trebuchet changes are available in the nightlies. It seems that with the newer theme engine being implemented, Trebuchet has got some necessary updates.

Add a custom home screen to Trebuchet. (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Trebuchet: custom home (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Revert font change support (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)
    Replace ugly Drawer setting (Sort Mode) (android_packages_apps_Trebuchet)

I always use nightlies (Xperia Z1) and have very little bugs in comparison to snapshot builds. I just update weekly as opposed to daily and all is good.

http://www.cmxlog.com/11/m7/

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the nightlies and hopefully they will revert to being able to hide apps from the drawer. I just think it's a bit awkward to have apps visible there that you already have on the homescreens. I like to keep the app drawer for trying out new apps and for apps that I rarely use.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the nightlies and hopefully they will revert to being able to hide apps from the drawer. I just think it's a bit awkward to have apps visible there that you already have on the homescreens. I like to keep the app drawer for trying out new apps and for apps that I rarely use.
    Same here, I hide all the unnecessary stuff that I don't need an icon for or have shortcuts / toggles already setup for (such as Torch).

The latest nightly (18th June) still won't allow hiding of apps :(

I found a decent little launcher which I've been playing around with for the last day or so, called KK Launcher. It has just enough customisation options for me, not as overwhelming as Nova, and it allows hidden apps.

• Advertisement

I found a decent little launcher which I've been playing around with for the last day or so, called KK Launcher. It has just enough customisation options for me, not as overwhelming as Nova, and it allows hidden apps.
    That looks nice, OEM style with the few essential extras - great find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Any opinion on the 4.4.3 dialer? I'm holding back on moving on to a new nightly at the moment.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Any opinion on the 4.4.3 dialer? I'm holding back on moving on to a new nightly at the moment.

No major opinion, really. It's nice, it looks better than the older one, and it works. One of the main reasons I swapped Sense for CM was because the dialer on Sense was very dark. I much prefer the brighter appearance of contacts and dialer on CM. Whether switching to a nightly is worth it just for the new dialer is hard to know. If you're happy with the dialer/contacts app on the stable build, then it's probably not worth changing. As I posted already, one of the biggest problems I had with the nightly was that you can't hide apps in the drawer on Trebuchet on the nightly.

No major opinion, really. It's nice, it looks better than the older one, and it works. One of the main reasons I swapped Sense for CM was because the dialer on Sense was very dark. I much prefer the brighter appearance of contacts and dialer on CM. Whether switching to a nightly is worth it just for the new dialer is hard to know. If you're happy with the dialer/contacts app on the stable build, then it's probably not worth changing. As I posted already, one of the biggest problems I had with the nightly was that you can't hide apps in the drawer on Trebuchet on the nightly.

Updated to Jun 18th nightly anyway and i have to say it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have an S2 ( My wifes actually )that I installed cynaogenmod 10 and it runs flawlessly for her.

I have a Nexus phone ( Same era as the S2 ) and was considering upgrading to a nexus but some people said my one was just as good.
    Though I have no issues with it, wonder would it be worth putting Cyanogenmod on it?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

does skype work for her on the S2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

does skype work for her on the S2 ?

Never checked as we done use skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Updated my Galaxy S3 to the latest stable version via the app/auto installer. Ran into problems at first because I wasn't using the orig cable that came with it. I was using the one that plugs into my logitech wireless mouse to charge it. Clearly it wasn't good enough since it kept on dropping connection during the installation. Was worried that I was possibly going to brick my phone.

After I rooted out the cable it worked no problem. I'm seeing the benefits too. Normally my battery would have dropped to about 20% after about 8/9 hours of mild usage, wifi on al the time but only using it on my hour/hour and a half break in work. Was disappointed with it for a while and it began to stuffer/freeze up on my quite regularly.

Since I updated it the battery only drops to about 60% after those 8/9 hours. Much faster. Some really nice features built in there too. Freezes have stopped. Loving it.

One gripe though. Everytime I enter recovery and then attempt to reboot the phone I get CWM telling me that root may have been lost and should I attempt to repair it. Annoying but isn't the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

I installed it today and honestly I'm not hugely convinced by it. It's neat, but I foolishly had everything backed up to the HTC cloud as opposed to Google and now I've lost everything. I own a HTC One M7 and I liked the layout of HTC Sense. Is there anyway back for me? I'm on Vodafone. Seems to be hugely complicated.

Lynk wrote: »
    I installed it today and honestly I'm not hugely convinced by it. It's neat, but I foolishly had everything backed up to the HTC cloud as opposed to Google and now I've lost everything. I own a HTC One M7 and I liked the layout of HTC Sense. Is there anyway back for me? I'm on Vodafone. Seems to be hugely complicated.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine replacing everything that you lost by not backing up to Google first would probably be a bigger pain in the ass than reverting to sense. I've had cyanogen for about a month now and there's nothing that I miss from sense. The only real sense specific stuff that cyanogen can't do might be something like the TV app. Things like blinkfeed can easily be replaced with Flipboard.

Just saying, it might be worth spending a few days with the mod before embarking on reverting. Of all the smartphones that I've used, sense is just about the nicest OEM skin, so I was reluctant to get rid of it. In the end it came down to aesthetics for me, I just found elements of it to be too dark.

• Advertisement

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine replacing everything that you lost by not backing up to Google first would probably be a bigger pain in the ass than reverting to sense. I've had cyanogen for about a month now and there's nothing that I miss from sense. The only real sense specific stuff that cyanogen can't do might be something like the TV app. Things like blinkfeed can easily be replaced with Flipboard.

Just saying, it might be worth spending a few days with the mod before embarking on reverting. Of all the smartphones that I've used, sense is just about the nicest OEM skin, so I was reluctant to get rid of it. In the end it came down to aesthetics for me, I just found elements of it to be too dark.
    Yeah, I guess that's true. I've had to do a few resets prior to this and I was a little jaded at having to reinstall everything manually again. I miss the little things like the double home click to close apps as opposed to holding down, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I'd quite like to know how to reset to sense for warrantys sake rather than anything at this stage. Still got well over 14 months left on my contract

Yeah, I guess that's true. I've had to do a few resets prior to this and I was a little jaded at having to reinstall everything manually again. I miss the little things like the double home click to close apps as opposed to holding down, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I'd quite like to know how to reset to sense for warrantys sake rather than anything at this stage. Still got well over 14 months left on my contract

You can set it up so that double tap on home brings up recent apps, and what's handy is you can close them all in one step from there instead of one by one like in sense.

I'm with you on wanting to know how to revert, just so I could do if I had to, but I can't see myself doing it any time soon.

There's a grey area on warranty support for modded phones anyway. If it develops a hardware fault I don't think they can refuse warranty work just because you changed the software.

You can set it up so that double tap on home brings up recent apps, and what's handy is you can close them all in one step from there instead of one by one like in sense.

In with you on wanting to know how to revert, just so I could do if I had to, but I can't see myself doing it any time soon.

There's a grey area on warranty support for modded phones anyway. If it develops a hardware fault I don't think they can refuse warranty work just because you changed the software.
    Oh sweet! Thanks man, that's a help. How have you found battery life since switching over? I admit I had mine permanently on power saving mode on HTC Sense, I usually could get 16-18 hours out of it.

Oh sweet! Thanks man, that's a help. How have you found battery life since switching over? I admit I had mine permanently on power saving mode on HTC Sense, I usually could get 16-18 hours out of it.

With location services turned off, I can easily get 24 hours out of it. That's with about 3.5 hours screen time. On days where I'm too busy to be checking my phone all the time, I've squeezed 36 hours out of it. I find that on standby it's very good. I can easily go to bed with 100% battery and wake up to see 98 or 99 after 7 hours. Power save in sense was very good at managing data connections, and on CM I use an app called Lean Data to control how things like 3g and Wi-Fi behave when I turn off the screen. With data turned off at night, it hardly uses any battery at all.

It all comes down to what you do with the phone really. Location services and graphic intensive games will chew the battery no matter what software you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Hi can anyone help me I have a moto g rooted I tried to flash a new rom done a back up started downloading and stopped abruptly went to backup and of course it didn't work I can still get into recovery i have wiped the cache and data and dalvik cache plus factory reset no joy .
    I have CWM v6.0.4.6 can anyone point me in the right direction or know of someone who could reflash for me thanks i live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Just a quick update I got my phone back working after trying nearly everything happy days

Just tried installing the latest stable build into my HTC one m7.I was using a nightly build from the middle of last week, but thought it might be a good idea to go to the stable version now that it's at 4.4.4

Anyhow, cleared dalvik and cache partitions before upgrading. When it installed the upgrade, it kept crashing when I went to the settings menu. Tried loads of times, no joy.

As a way to go back a few steps and try again, I decided to boot into recovery and flash an earlier version of CM, hoping that once that's up and running I could use the built in installer to come up to the nightly version from last week.

Problem now is it's stuck on the boot animation. Tried doing soft rest and booting into recovery and reflashing the zip. Still getting stuck at boot animation.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

I went back to 10.1.3 from CM11 on my galaxy s2. I back u all my texts with titanium but ebcause the messenger on CM11 was different whenevr I go to restore them the phone goes bananas and won't work and I have to do complete data wipe and reflash cm10.1.3 again. any ideas?

Just tried installing the latest stable build into my HTC one m7.I was using a nightly build from the middle of last week, but thought it might be a good idea to go to the stable version now that it's at 4.4.4

Anyhow, cleared dalvik and cache partitions before upgrading. When it installed the upgrade, it kept crashing when I went to the settings menu. Tried loads of times, no joy.

As a way to go back a few steps and try again, I decided to boot into recovery and flash an earlier version of CM, hoping that once that's up and running I could use the built in installer to come up to the nightly version from last week.

Problem now is it's stuck on the boot animation. Tried doing soft rest and booting into recovery and reflashing the zip. Still getting stuck at boot animation.

Any suggestions?

Solved.

I had to do a full factory reset, clear cache and then install the older version of cm from zip file. Then I updated to nightly using the built in installer. It's a bit disappointing that the latest stable build doesn't work. I haven't the time to try it again in case I have to go through the whole reset thing again. I might try a nightly based on the latest stable to see of that works.

• Advertisement

Solved.

I had to do a full factory reset, clear cache and then install the older version of cm from zip file. Then I updated to nightly using the built in installer. It's a bit disappointing that the latest stable build doesn't work. I haven't the time to try it again in case I have to go through the whole reset thing again. I might try a nightly based on the latest stable to see of that works.

Not sure if its any good to you as i'm on a S4 but i'm on the 4th July nightly and its working great for me. Was going to put M8 on and stop updating regularly but read about the updating from a newer nightly problem and just left it. Might leave the 4th July one on now for the foreseeable future as its very solid for me.

Advertisement