Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CyanogenMod Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

KK Launcher. Brilliant alternative to Nova. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kk.launcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beyond a joke now, freezing/crashing at least 5 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Was this a clean install or upgrade from CM10? Where did you source your files and what versions? Something is obviously incorrect with your configuration or permissions that may need fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What stock rom were you on before going to CM.
    I know some of the older 4.1.2 roms often froze. I speak from experience. wrecked my head trying everything to get it sorted. Only thing in the end was to flash an updated stock rom before flashing CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What phone? I have cm11 on galaxy S4 and it's _rock_ stable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

SGS3, used the CM installer.

why does the previous ROM matter, if the installer wipes it and puts on CM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

SGS3, used the CM installer.

why does the previous ROM matter, if the installer wipes it and puts on CM

I wish I knew that. It's the only thing that stopped the freezes I use to get.

Even tried all the following tips.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/general/ultimate-galaxy-s3-unusual-freezing-t2133401

Only thing that stopped it was the updating of the stock rom.
    Make sure to make backups first, including your EFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Ironically enough it's the OP here :rolleyes:

I flashed 10.2 on my Samsung Note II via the app installer and all was fine but I couldn't set a white list of callers during quiet hours so I flashed CM11 Nightly and the relevant Gapps manually via CWM but started getting problems so restored to 10.2 via my Nandroid backup but that also had problems so I ended up biting the bullet, wiped the phone and installed CM11 Nightly + Gapps from scratch and since then I've had two problems:-

1. Random freezes 2-3 times a day
    2. This is the BIG one - My phone app freezes. to be precise what happens is one minute I'm making and receiving calls fine and then suddenly when I either make or receive a call I can't hear anything and the people on the other end can't hear me. It's not a mic/speaker issue as I can make and receive Skype calls and it's not a signal issue as I can receive emails and make Skype calls on the 3G network. I tried re-booting the device but that doesn't fix the problem and I tried re-flashing CM11 on it's own and with Gapps but those actions don't fix it either. The only thing which seems to fix it is a factory wipe and re-flash of CM11 + Gapps but although the phone app works after that process it seems temporary as it has stopped working within a day or two requiring a full re-wipe and flash etc which is obviously a nightmare to have to do all the time.

Has anyone any knowledge of this issue? Is it a CM11/Note II problem? Should I re-flash 10.2 via the Installer App or (heaven forbid) flash some other ROM which is more compatible with the Note II?

I'm mega confused AND mega frustrated so would appreciate some guidance on what to do next!!!

Ben

1. Try wiping dalvik cache
    2. Instal some logging software and see if there is anything interesting in the logs
    3. Settings and click 7 times on build number. Go to Developer menu and there are quite a few options that might help you. Kill app with long back button
    4. Install Dialer2 and check if it has the same problem

5. Go to settings and click fast on CM version 4 times (that won't help I'm sure) :eek:

Cheers PrzemoF,
    PrzemoF wrote: »
    1. Try wiping dalvik cache
    - Had tried that several times without success. also tried fixing permissions in Rom Manager without success.
    2. Instal some logging software and see if there is anything interesting in the logs
    Something like this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=orbin.boot_logs
    3. Settings and click 7 times on build number. Go to Developer menu and there are quite a few options that might help you. Kill app with long back button
    Wow!! Lot's of (potentially dangerous looking) utilities there. I'll have a play with some to see if they shed any light.
    4. Install Dialer2 and check if it has the same problem
    the problem exists with and without Dialer2 installed/used.
    5. Go to settings and click fast on CM version 4 times (that won't help I'm sure) :eek:
    That doesn't seem to do anything.

Ben

• Advertisement

2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

3. Yes, it's power and danger menu

5. Shows big letters "CM" if you keep clicking it will show "kitkatted" logo of cyanogenmod (it's just a distraction, that won't solve any of your problems)

Thanks, installed Catlog. Lots of lines with various colors, all meaningless to me I'm afraid 😑

FYI I flashed the new CM11 Nightly (April 24th) and the changelog mentions some fixes to network settings so hopefully that might fix my phone app issue. So good so far after 18 hours but it's early days yet........

Ben

What phone? I have cm11 on galaxy S4 and it's _rock_ stable.

Since I posted the above the sky has fallen. I'm experiencing camera problems, barcode scanner died completely, youtoube as well, firefox just crashed and I just got a sudden unexpected phone reboot :confused::confused::confused:

P.S. P.S. Looks like uninstalling Open Panel helped with some problems

Well my latest installation of CM11 didn't last long. Was out all day but around 10:30am the phone app suddenly stopped working i.e. I could make and receive calls but I couldn't hear the person at the other end and they couldn't hear me. Minor panic stations when a reboot didn't do the trick so I ended up going back to a two week old 10.2 Nandroid backup which itself had various issues but at leat the phone app worked or so I thought!! It worked OK for an hour or so and then stopped working all together. I ended up calling people back from colleagues phones which isn't exactly ideal :confused:

I am near the end of my tether with CM on the Note II but I'm going to give it one more go via the following:-

1. Format the internal SD card.
    2. Do a factory reset.
    3. Flash the latest nightly CM11 and 4.4 Gapps
    4. Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    5. Reboot
    6. Pray that will do the trick.

If the above process (which I think is about as clean an install as you can do) doesn't do the trick I'm going to have to ditch CM for now and go with something like OmegaRom which I believe runs on the Note II without any issues or perhaps I'll flash the Note II version of Ressurection Remix which I used to be a big fan of. Anyone got any other suggestions? (Odd that the OP of this CM help group thread may have to flash a non CM ROM :o )

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Well my latest installation of CM11 didn't last long. Was out all day but around 10:30am the phone app suddenly stopped working i.e. I could make and receive calls but I couldn't hear the person at the other end and they couldn't hear me. Minor panic stations when a reboot didn't do the trick so I ended up going back to a two week old 10.2 Nandroid backup which itself had various issues but at leat the phone app worked or so I thought!! It worked OK for an hour or so and then stopped working all together. I ended up calling people back from colleagues phones which isn't exactly ideal :confused:

I am near the end of my tether with CM on the Note II but I'm going to give it one more go via the following:-

1. Format the internal SD card.
    2. Do a factory reset.
    3. Flash the latest nightly CM11 and 4.4 Gapps
    4. Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    5. Reboot
    6. Pray that will do the trick.

If the above process (which I think is about as clean an install as you can do) doesn't do the trick I'm going to have to ditch CM for now and go with something like OmegaRom which I believe runs on the Note II without any issues or perhaps I'll flash the Note II version of Ressurection Remix which I used to be a big fan of. Anyone got any other suggestions? (Odd that the OP of this CM help group thread may have to flash a non CM ROM :o )

Ben

Well that didn't work :mad:

Formatting the phone internal SD card and doing such a clean install seemed to really make the phone fly but the phone app soon failed. I suspect the problem is bluetooth related as anecdotally the app seems to fail when connected to bluetooth but even if I disconnect bluetooth, turn off bluetooth all together and reboot it still doesn't revert to a working phone app.

I really don't think I have any alternative but to either flash a different custom ROM all together or revert back to Samsung Stock :(

I'm depressed.

Ben

Now on Resurrection Remix V 5.1.0 which is KitKat 4.4.2 - http://forum.resurrectionremix.com/index.php?topic=2037.new#new

Bye for now CM :(

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

On the nightly from last night and having issues updating apps. I was having this before installing the nightly mind.

I have cleared cache and definitely have storage available but updating certain apps (Facebook, Spotify etc.) returns an insufficient memory error. Galaxy S3 if that makes any difference.

Anyone else having these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

On the nightly from last night and having issues updating apps. I was having this before installing the nightly mind.

I have cleared cache and definitely have storage available but updating certain apps (Facebook, Spotify etc.) returns an insufficient memory error. Galaxy S3 if that makes any difference.

Anyone else having these issues?

Not them issues but I was having 'freezing' issues and lags with stock CM11
    I switched to SlimKat for the S3 and it's great.
    Little problem with auto focus not working on camera but I just got a camera app called ProCapture from the market and thats perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

G1032 wrote: »
    Not them issues but I was having 'freezing' issues and lags with stock CM11
    I switched to SlimKat for the S3 and it's great.
    Little problem with auto focus not working on camera but I just got a camera app called ProCapture from the market and thats perfect

If my S3 was running CM11 smoothly would it still be worth checking out slimkat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Can anyone help with this problem? I installed CM11 using the steps involved here but there is no network when it rebooted. For some reason the nandroid backup that I put on the external sd card didn't save so I can't backup to my stock OS either. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s3 mini. Am I screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Smarmy wrote: »
    Can anyone help with this problem? I installed CM11 using the steps involved here but there is no network when it rebooted. For some reason the nandroid backup that I put on the external sd card didn't save so I can't backup to my stock OS either. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s3 mini. Am I screwed?

On my s3 mini I got the stock rom off sammobile I think and used odin to flash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

On my s3 mini I got the stock rom off sammobile I think and used odin to flash it.

Thanks that worked for me, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Presume I'm not the only one that has got the cm11 update today. (nexus 4) My problem is I press install now, the phone reboots into recovery but then fails. The phone then reboots again before I can see an error message. It boots up as normal then again but it hasn't updated. Tried about 5 times but same result each time. Any ideas? Would prefer not to have to wipe my phone.

Had you flashed your N4 with Cyanogemod yourself, or had you used the installer app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

corwill wrote: »
    Had you flashed your N4 with Cyanogemod yourself, or had you used the installer app?

I used the installer, I sorted myself out last night, I wiped and installed the latest nightly. Going well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Installed M7 cyanogenmod11 on samsung galaxy s2 last night, seems to be working ok, shame all my text messages got deleted even though I backed them up to titanium.new phone app seems a bit better.

Don't see any major changes though from 10.2 to 11, or is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Installed M7 cyanogenmod11 on samsung galaxy s2 last night, seems to be working ok, shame all my text messages got deleted even though I backed them up to titanium.new phone app seems a bit better.

Don't see any major changes though from 10.2 to 11, or is there something I'm missing?

Android 4.2 vs 4.3 vs 4.4 is all fairly incremental progress, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

I used Superbackup to save the SMS and call logs before installing CM11 M6. Doesn't require root. Restore worked well.

CM11 restored system memory to over 1GB from around 200MB before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Are you sure they are gone? I had to fix problem with permission before mine worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

On the latest nightly version. All good, no glitches, and nice to have 4.4.3 and it's dialer app.

Only snag is, I can't see any way to hide apps in the drawer, the way you can on the m7 snapshot version.

I've had a good look around the settings and can't see how it's done.

Am I missing something here or have they done away with that function? I can live with it on a nightly, but if it's a sign of things to come on the next stable release.....

Advertisement