Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cheers for the offers, lads. Still ring around as of yet. How big is that flat bed? :p

Aviva gave me a heavily discounted quote of €3300 TPFT, it's high because it has a big engine. :pac:
    At least they didn't need NCT I guess. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

CianRyan wrote: »
    Cheers for the offers, lads. Still ring around as of yet. How big is that flat b5ed? :p

Aviva gave me a heavily discounted quote of €3300 TPFT, it's high because it has a big engine. :pac:

Sure she's a Japanese touge monster, no way you'll get a better quote :pac:
    That's a ridiculous quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Cheers for the offers, lads. Still ring around as of yet. How big is that flat bed? :p

you could try XS direct, I am sure you could get a quote for around €1000 or less.

I've been trying to stay away from them but I think I will give them a go, I'll just try hard not to crash my little hair dresser touge monster. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I've been trying to stay away from them but I think I will give them a go, I'll just try hard not to crash my little hair dresser touge monster. :p
    Sure the excess with XS direct is 3-4k, if that is the sort of quote you are getting anyway, makes sense to go with XS direct

Or try Britton Insurance, I always found them cheap (that's who I'm with for the bmw @750 p/a with 1 year NCB and a previous claim in the past 3 years)
    Although I am old!

YbFocus wrote: »
    To hell with it you could probably bring it in the truck!

I think with a ramp up she would fit in the flat bed! Certainly would have in the f350 but this one is a bit smaller so I am not positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I went with XSDirect for the E38, I took the 3K excess, and with just named driver experience (Zero NCB) I was fully comp. insured for €690.

I was finding the same, 3-4K with other insurers, so for me it made sense to take the excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Well I must say the Dutch seem to like their cars, have spotted 2 Audi R8's, Jag XK, Bentley which I must say took my breath away and some sexy Astra's :D I must post up a pic of a beautiful Volvo I spotted earlier today a pure classic :)

P.S Avenged Sevenfold are brilliant CianRyan :P

Autosport wrote: »
    P.S Avenged Sevenfold are brilliant CianRyan :P

I don't appreciate pseudo metal. ;)

Going to throw a breaking ad up for the Almera, don't sure how to word it exactly.
    I've not got the tools to break it myself so it's a come and take the part you need off yourself deal... Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't appreciate pseudo metal. ;)

Going to throw a breaking ad up for the Almera, don't sure how to word it exactly.
    I've not got the tools to break it myself so it's a come and take the part you need off yourself deal... Hmm.

Tbh you'll probably be a while trying to sell it like that. Best to just weigh if in as is

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Tbh you'll probably be a while trying to sell it like that. Best to just weigh if in as is

If someone wants to bring it down on a trailer I'll go halfs with them on weight, I just feel bad about scrapping it, everything from the front suspension back is perfect, engine included. :(

If someone wants to bring it down on a trailer I'll go halfs with them on weight, I just feel bad about scrapping it, everything from the front suspension back is perfect, engine included. :(

It's unfortunate but not many people will be trawling donedeal for Almera bits. You could try ringing a local scrappie, tgey may come and collect it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Find out how much you'll get scrap for it and how much you'd get scrap for just the shell. DGT is probably the man to ask about scrap prices, he's had a few go recently.

Is the engine bolixed?

It's unfortunate but not many people will be trawling donedeal for Almera bits. You could try ringing a local scrappie, tgey may come and collect it

Must make sure tomorrow by calling them but my brother in law said when he asked them before they wanted him to pay for collection. :eek:
    Scortho wrote: »
    Find out how much you'll get scrap for it and how much you'd get scrap for just the shell. DGT is probably the man to ask about scrap prices, he's had a few go recently.

Is the engine bolixed?

Engine is perfect, only thing stopping it from running is a lack of petrol and a battery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

seen my car on a photography blog site with 55 likes last night, then further shared by UK starlet owners and got 69 likes there... chuffed :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=544952862264266&set=a.326123250813896.75031.326118237481064&type=1&theater

• Advertisement

Must make sure tomorrow by calling them but my brother in law said when he asked them before they wanted him to pay for collection. :eek:

Engine is perfect, only thing stopping it from running is a lack of petrol and a battery!

It all depends how long your willing to wait really. You saw how long it took me with the alfa ones I wasn't using, but at the same time theres a load more nissans than alfa v6's around

Yeah, it's not too much harm out there, my narky neighbour has been sweeping leaves from under it lately so I think he's getting a bit annoyed at it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

seen my car on a photography blog site with 55 likes last night, then further shared by UK starlet owners and got 69 likes there... chuffed :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=544952862264266&set=a.326123250813896.75031.326118237481064&type=1&theater

Added another one for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I swear, that term should be a perms bannable offence, especially when the poster owns a diesel BMW. :p

You'd hate to be me, imagine what I have to put up with.... :o

This lack of power steering isn't so bad, just means I can't manouvre the car as fast in the car park...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That high speed chase in dublin today ?

Right in the middle of it I was !

I was in front of the garda hiding behind his car throwing the spike strip out in front of the car !

Didn't work. ......

We're lucky a few cars didn't get hit the way the lads were driving !

• Advertisement

That high speed chase in dublin today ?

Right in the middle of it I was !

I was in front of the garda hiding behind his car throwing the spike strip out in front of the car !

Didn't work. ......

We're lucky a few cars didn't get hit the way the lads were driving !

About 2pm ish? Explains all the cars tearing through the city centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=544952862264266&set=a.326123250813896.75031.326118237481064&typ
    e=1&theater

Added another one :D nice car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

dgt wrote: »
    About 2pm ish? Explains all the cars tearing through the city centre!

I was sitting in traffic along the canal on the south side near portabello / Griffith college and a Garda car came from the front booting down the middle with sirens on.

there was another garda car with 2 lads on the part of the road i was on and tbh it just looked like they were setting up a checkpoint because there was one on each side of the road but they were looking up and down the road, then one was behind their garda car and threw the spike strip.... bounced back at him and missed the car !

a mazda 636 ? booting down the wrong side of the road, 2 garda cars behind it. up to the junction of portabello and left. que more garda cars and bikes chasing him one !

as he was booting up the middle of the road he did clip the mirror of one guy sitting in his avensis .... he wasnt too happy

I was sitting in traffic along the canal on the south side near portabello / Griffith college and a Garda car came from the front booting down the middle with sirens on.

there was another garda car with 2 lads on the part of the road i was on and tbh it just looked like they were setting up a checkpoint because there was one on each side of the road but they were looking up and down the road, then one was behind their garda car and threw the spike strip.... bounced back at him and missed the car !

a mazda 636 ? booting down the wrong side of the road, 2 garda cars behind it. up to the junction of portabello and left. que more garda cars and bikes chasing him one !

as he was booting up the middle of the road he did clip the mirror of one guy sitting in his avensis .... he wasnt too happy

Didn't see any speeding Mazdas. I lost count of the amount of unmarked cars flying up Georges st. Traffic corps blocked the road at the top of Kevin st.... Plenty of action to the bystanders anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Didn't see any speeding Mazdas. I lost count of the amount of unmarked cars flying up Georges st. Traffic corps blocked the road at the top of Kevin st.... Plenty of action to the bystanders anyway!

Awww I missed it all! :(

Awww I missed it all! :(

You had those junkies in the clamped Astra sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

You had those junkies in the clamped Astra sure!

Ach that's no car chase though! :pac: sure I see that every day :P only difference with today was, they got busted :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Took a pic of the car outside work today, looking forward to getting stuck into it, but going to do very little as I already think she looks great, here she is

1395878_10152038987420540_722742356_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Lads, staying in the Maldron Cardiff Lane for next two nights,anyone have any ideas of where i could park my car? the q-park will cost nearly 50e for the duration of the stay even with a discount for staying in the hotel

Lads, staying in the Maldron Cardiff Lane for next two nights,anyone have any ideas of where i could park my car? the q-park will cost nearly 50e for the duration of the stay even with a discount for staying in the hotel

Use the dit discount?
    One of the dit lads will be able to tell you more and whether overnights are included but I know it's 6 quid a day for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Lots of the streets around there will be free parking after 6pm. I'll be parked on Benson street this evening to go to a friends if you fancy a mini meet :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone used the Halford extreme brilliance headlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Stheno wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Halford extreme brilliance headlights?

Yep there not as good at all as the osram nightbreakers. We've used them halfords extreme brilliance in vans in the past and they made a small enough difference. Micks garage sells the nightbreakers for about 20 best bulbs for the money IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yep there not as good at all as the osram nightbreakers. We've used them halfords extreme brilliance in vans in the past and they made a small enough difference. Micks garage sells the nightbreakers for about 20 best bulbs for the money IMO.

Hmmph I have them now, the motor factors was shut so I went to halfords.

Can't be as bad as the original headlights in my car they were dreadful

Maybe it's the lenses Stheno?

Ah they will be an improvement alright just not as big as the nightbreakers going from what we replaced them in. It's was probably 3 years ago we last bought the halfords brilliance ones so they could be a lot better now. I don't have nightbreakers in my focus as the bulbs or came with are fairly good but when one blows ill change them both to nightbreakers. Let us know how you get on with the halfords one as I said it was a few years ago since We used them.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Maybe it's the lenses Stheno?

No the original headlights were just diabolical, I put nightbreakers in and it was about 300% better, with the original ones you literally couldn't see more than about 10 feet in front of you
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Ah they will be an improvement alright just not as big as the nightbreakers going from what we replaced them in. It's was probably 3 years ago we last bought the halfords brilliance ones so they could be a lot better now. I don't have nightbreakers in my focus as the bulbs or came with are fairly good but when one blows ill change them both to nightbreakers. Let us know how you get on with the halfords one as I said it was a few years ago since We used them.

Yeah I will, will be interesting to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I seen this on Kilkenny people yesterday thats a seriously narrow street I've only driven it once or twice. Beyond me what a truck was doing driving down it as I don't think it leads anywhere.

• Advertisement

Just filled up the truck for the first time from empty. 120 Euro, not bad I was expecting worse tbh!
    That was 80 liters into a 20 (imperial) gallon tank so from bone dry.

Won't get you far though. :p

About 20 imperial miles I reckon! :D

Just filled up the truck for the first time from empty. 120 Euro, not bad I was expecting worse tbh!
    That was 80 liters into a 20 (imperial) gallon tank so from bone dry.

That doesn't seem to bad for a big truck. My dads master van would have took more. Interesting to see how many kms you get from the tank. I've yet to put more than 50 euro in my focus to fill it. But I don't let it run down that much. Any idea what the truck would do mpg wise I know there not designed to return good mpg but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Smiles Per Gallon lads. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think the BMW GT may be the expensive equivalent of the Toyota Yaris. I was stuck behind a 5 GT this morning. The driver kept randomly braking. I didn't see what the driver looked like because the uglyness of the GT hid them. :pac:

• Advertisement

Won't get you far though. :p

Arah sure I got it back from athlone on not even an eighth of a tank.

@ bpmull I think it does 18-20 mpg.
    I've reset the trip computer so Ill do a brim to brim test. Not that I care, if it gets 8 mpg it still has infinity spg :P

The noise from the v8 is epic, this alone may have someone converted me into a petrolhead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Arah sure I got it back from athlone on not even an eighth of a tank.

@ bpmull I think it does 18-20 mpg.
    I've reset the trip computer so Ill do a brim to brim test. Not that I care, if it gets 8 mpg it still has infinity spg :P

The noise from the v8 is epic, this alone may have someone converted me into a petrolhead!

20mpg would be quite respectable for something that size i think. :)

Is that an ls1 in the truck?

No, it is a Generation 1 vortec 5.7 v8 (so basically the chevy small block ~240 bhp)

Chevy small block afaik.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement