Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

dgt wrote: »
    Badger lovers avoid this post!

A badger ran out infront of my 406 one night.... There was an unholy bang and a huge thud as I ran over it.... Stone dead! Got out, not a mark on the bumper or car :cool:

front of that must be strong, badgers are know to **** up many a car and live to tell the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

@dgt I do like those Italian plates :D Pity, if they were even half road legal i'd take them :p

If I do decide to put the plates to the side like an Alfa i'll have to get a debadged grill :) Great job on the 406 , i'm still keeping an eye on the road for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

rizzee wrote: »
    @dgt I do like those Italian plates :D Pity, if they were even half road legal i'd take them :p

If I do decide to put the plates to the side like an Alfa i'll have to get a debadged grill :) Great job on the 406 , i'm still keeping an eye on the road for you!

Just look for a plume of smoke

Went for front centre. Tidy

9vl9ut.jpg

10fxnur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Thats the shtuff! :D Looks great!

• Advertisement

Cheers man! They're only plastic ones but suprisingly good quality, I didn't want to be drilling holes so got them sticky pads with them. 25 quid delivered can't go wrong really! Now to get a debadged grill...

Cheers man! They're only plastic ones but suprisingly good quality, I didn't want to be drilling holes so got them sticky pads with them. 25 quid delivered can't go wrong really! Now to get a debadged grill...

Didn't know you can get sticky pads? I won't be getting any nice things for a while now, I've to pay my mechanic 100 quid for fixing my ignition and then 110 going to the lovely people at the tax office too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Went for front centre. Tidy

9vl9ut.jpg

10fxnur.jpg

What's with the German plates? Is it in honour of the Corsa platform? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Today I had a go at my car because my brakes started to squeak !

So onto a ramp I whipped off all the wheels , front brake pads and discs could do with a change over the next few weeks, rear pads about 40% and discs perfect. Used a brake cleaner all round to help for the moment but probably wont do a lot to help it tbh.

All 4 wheels were stripped down from all weights cos there were fecking loads of them ! So I balanced all 4 wheels myself and rotated them to put more thread at front. Torqued all nuts correctly too !

But I want to burn through these tyres quickly so I can replace them all with the same tyre rather than 4 odds.

Yes I did all this myself with no help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Today my first time i worked on my car i changed a cracked fuel line and changed a parking light bulb which was awkward to get out put worked out in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Busy today, finally getting through my list of bits - today is mechanical stuff, got to the gearbox oil (and changed engine oil while I was at it). The history is a bit patchy on the MR2 - I doubt the gearbox oil has ever been done and many are on the fence whether it needs to be done at all, but it cost €80 for some top shelf US gearbox oil (this stuff comes highly recommended for the MR2)

Overall, not sure if its the placebo effect but I found the changes are smoother especially between second and third, it was always a nice and tight gearbox but no harm done in changing it, it wont be done again while I own it anyway ;)

...a few uninteresting pics, my hands were destroyed so I took very few pics. Thats all my mechanical list of serviceable bits sorted now.

Todays bag of Tricks:

Redline MT90

3vrv.jpg

1obi.jpg

Castrol 10w40 & Genuine Toyota Filter

ry71.jpg

Next changed the gearbox Oil:

Bolts came off surprisgly easy -

0h0h.jpg

Warmed up the oil and it came out nice and easy

vocn.jpg

I ordered 2 washers for the gearbox plugs, could have gotten away without them I reckon - they are only 1.10 each anyway:

ubvl.jpg

old one was a bit battered but usable

0tvb.jpg

one of these yokes is fierce handy to get the new stuff in the gearbox.

urz5.jpg

....while the car was jacked up I decided to change the oil, the oil that came out was good for another couple
    of thousand (6000mls since last change but for the price of an oil change you'd be mad not too, 3rd Oil chnage since getting her.

..next change 120,000 mls (or 1 year) whichevers first

1yvl.jpg

......the aftermath:

jw4g.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What's with the German plates? Is it in honour of the Corsa platform? :D

Haha feck off :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You in Dunboyne rizzee? Where'd ya order the plates?

deccurley wrote: »
    You in Dunboyne rizzee? Where'd ya order the plates?

Close, Dunshaughlin! Off a lad on adverts irishnumberplates.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

eringobragh- nice MR2. No harm in the gearbox oil. I had a change done in my z recently I doubt it was ever done either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Overall, not sure if its the placebo effect but I found the changes are smoother especially between second and third, it was always a nice and tight gearbox but no harm done in changing it, it wont be done again while I own it anyway ;)

I used MT90 on the Rx8 and found that shifts got progressively better after a while. A flush wuld take care of this better but that would be a bit pricey with redline oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some bastard of a bird flew out of a hedge earlier, destroyed my n/s headlight. Externally all is ok, internally cosmetically the chrome bit has fallen off, but worse mechanically a part of the levelling system (as far as I can tell) snapped... can't take them apart without baking either...

Bollix. :(

So... this had to get fixed ASAP. Obviously driving with one arseholed light is a no-no, and I've the NCT at the end of the week too...

So... first a look at the cosmetic damage visible...

EGYszqn.jpg

IwsGX9j.jpg

Unfortunately that wasn't the only problem, you can see the droop in the photo if you look close.... also as they're a sealed unit.... :(

Off to MicksGarage, and after relieving yourself of €230 you get this:

3Sgse1H.jpg

k86i7Oj.jpg

WCp2069.jpg

Fantastic... everything looks perfect so far!

So out with the old one

SdvuXRZ.jpg

transfer all the bulbs... grand... here's where the fun started. The new depo light came with a new mounting bracket, so I obviously swapped that over first. Tried fitting the light.... nope

Out again, refit the old bracket, try again... nope.. rinse/repeat for about 1 hour trying to figure out what was out of place/catching. Finally after some minor modification to the part for clearance and using the old bracket, it's in! Might not be 100% perfect in terms of every nut and bolt as intended, but it's in the perfect position and 100% secured

4mWkkPu.jpg

9Xco5rh.jpg

Aaaaand... breathe

Now, onto another little niggle. For some reason my N/S rear anti-rattle clip tends to go walk-a-bye every now and again. Was replaced recently when I noticed it gone, that one disappeared too after a few weeks. Wasn't me that put it on either before someone suggests it wasn't on right! :p Dgt was kind enough to find one for me from his local breakers yard. Quick 5 minute job, jack up the car, wheel off, rattle clip on, wheel on and sorted

3Zev8kj.jpg

Not bad over all :) Old headlight strip down will be done for the craic when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice work kiid! 230 isn't bad at all for the whole unit but it's just a pity that such an annoying little bastard of a thing happened it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

No engines were removed in the repair of that light? :p

I must dig out the other clip out! :D

dgt wrote: »
    No engines were removed in the repair of that light? :p

I must dig out the other clip out! :D

Nope, no engines were harmed removed in the repair :D If there was anything to be thankful for, it's that it was the n/s one. Plenty of space behind the light on that side, where on the other side there's the washer bottle etc. :)

• Advertisement

Got one of these:

$(KGrHqYOKo0FH,tDVjshBR4U9g3Ni!~~60_35.JPG

And the Dashcommand app for the iphone:

dashcmd_spread.png

Then reset any error codes from the blocked cat I replaced and had a play with all the features. It basically displays anything it can pick up from the ECU in any OBD II compliant car (revs/speed/mpg/maf/map/g-forces/0-60/AFR's etc.). I was amazed by it to be honest.

One negative is that it confirmed that the car is getting 20mpg on average, mostly won't be looking at that function then.

Care to elaborate a bit on the first picture? I'm half asleep so I'm guessing it's a wifi thingymabob?

I could use one of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Yep, its an Wifi OBD II scanner. If you get one make sure that it is compatible with your device. Android phones can use bluetooth and a free app called Torque.
    dh0011 wrote: »
    DOes this look like the app you installed on the i phone?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

Yep, thats it. pricey at 45quid though. If I'd had an android phone i'd have gone with Torque.

Care to elaborate a bit on the first picture? I'm half asleep so I'm guessing it's a wifi thingymabob?

I could use one of those

It's an OBD2 connector with wifi transmission. Usually the ELM327 devices are bluetooth, and rather cheap because of that. Unfortunately apple handicapped the iPhone with restricted bluetooth that doesn't work with these bluetooth OBD2 devices, so it's a wifi capable one to be able to work with the iPhone.

Basically you connect it to your cars OBD2 port (if it has one), power on, it creates its own wifi hotspot which you connect the phone to. It then streams all available OBD data via that wifi connection.

Bluetooth version is fine for android!

It's an OBD2 connector with wifi transmission. Usually the ELM327 devices are bluetooth, and rather cheap because of that. Unfortunately apple handicapped the iPhone with restricted bluetooth that doesn't work with these bluetooth OBD2 devices, so it's a wifi capable one to be able to work with the iPhone.

Basically you connect it to your cars OBD2 port (if it has one), power on, it creates its own wifi hotspot which you connect the phone to. It then streams all available OBD data via that wifi connection.

You are a wealth of information to me lately, I must buy one of you also :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

WiFi connection should be a lot faster and stable than BT though.

Quick question folks, I've currently 205/45/17s on the car at the moment and theres a bigger gap between the wheel and the arch than there was when I had 15s on it! My question is, instead of getting the car on lowering springs would it be possible to change to a different tyre height/width to make it look lower than it is now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

CJackson wrote: »

I'm almost tempted to order one to a friend in the states and get it shipped to here. Really nice app and interface.

Advertisement