Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Are you joking? If people have extra knowledge of the show or the books then they are OBVIOUSLY going to speculate much more accurately/differently because they know things and can speculate the right things much better.....
    Well as someone who has read the books (and has just started to re-read).....
    seeing the reactions to the events of the first 2 episodes I am aching to see the viseral reaction to some of the future events, but I can't comment on them as it is unfair to the non-readers.

I have deliberately not commented on a small number of posts precisely as I have 'future knowledge'. I can definitely say that this is one of the few books that really gave me a emotional moment at certain points, so much that I had to put the book down and/or re-read with disbelief. ('The Lies of Locke Lamora' was another)

So far it promises great things, just keep going as you have so far and the next few series will be great.

Just watching Ep2 again, Had missed the credits before. Love how they have changed the locations, Pentos not focused on this time, now focussed on the Dothraki camp. Hope to see this nifty device used over the course of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

^ so are we not allowed to speculate then?...about future/possible events?...like i could speculate that at some point in the future XXXX could possibly die, i'm not basing this speculation on anything nor books/spoilers etc.

I mean within the realm of what we've seen thus far, the tone and feel of the show you could speculate this could be a possibilty, is that allowed?

There is nothing wrong with speculation, Richard. The post that kicked off the last round of deletions was your "Someone dies in episode X" post (which definitely isn't speculation).

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Ah now let's not exaggerate, how could that be?.... :rolleyes: .

How could that be? Because its, you know, it's just, like, my opinion dude! ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ive been tempted to write my opinion but then again I will only get carried away and start referrencing things about to happen or thigns happening at the same time in different parts of the world.

Its actually impossible for me to speculate or contemplate to speculate because I would just be cheating the people havent read the book! Grr!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just go to the fantasy forum and talk about it!

• Advertisement

just go to the fantasy forum and talk about it!

Well I could.... but this forum is busier so ill have to hold my tongue here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Second episode was brilliant. Really hooked on this series. Hopefully the direction will be so good throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Its only the second ep in and i can feel the pace start to pick up extremely quickly and i get the distinct impression its just gonna keep getting better and better. I knew this show would be good but it has me absolutely gripped at the moment.

Heres a little pressie i came across for those who are interested, a 2 minute clip from the next episode. Stark v Lanister in a seriously tense scene.

GoT Clip

This show is so good it makes my eyes water. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I get a joygasm everytime i watch GOT!

30mins... don don

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Excellent 3rd Ep. Lot of tense scenes and heavy on the dialogue. Hope it didn't discourage the Spartacus fans!

Gotta love Syrio, just so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

'War is easier then daughters' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good episode,I am liking it a lot,especially now that I am getting to know the characters a bit more and their history,as well as the history of each family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that was so-so I thought, some of the acting was... flat. Didn't take to littlefinger at all, and snow's nightwatch uncle just didn't impress me. Neddard, snow, tyrion and arya were fantastic as always but the rest... hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Absolutely love this series, haven't been this gripped by a show since Mad Men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Was not as good as last week. Thought the character development was poor for some characters. The storyline with the Targaryens and the Dothraki is very rushed, seems like a lot of scenes were cut that showed the change in character of Daenery.
    The episode was let down by no standout performances as it was focussed on too many characters without letting one character have a chance to shine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tonight's episode felt a bit like filler to be honest: not necessarily in a bad way, just that it was a case of "as you were", giving us a chance to flesh out some of the characters; their thoughts, motivations & so on. Adrian Gillan's (sp) character was a bit too 2 dimensional though, it's fairly obvious what his thoughts are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I absolutely loved that episode, it was near perfect I thought. I completely disagree about the character development, I thought it covered huge ground with each character

We see a much deeper darker side to Robert in his "first kill" monologue and the scene following with Jamie.

We see Ned trying to mend his relationship with both his daughters and succeeding/failing.

We see Arya is exceptional with a sword and seems to even shock Ned.

We learned loads in the short scene between Cersei and Joffey. Joffreys character especially is explored alot more. The Starks are also referred to as "enemies".

We see Catelyn becoming more obsessed with finding out the Lannisters.

We learn so much more about the Wall throughout the episode, and there's a lot more talk of the Whitewalkers.

We see Viserys is starting to play 2nd fiddle to Daenerys and he isn't happy.

All in all I thinks that's an impressive episode. The only thing I didn't like was Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger. Dull, one note performance. Never rated him as an actor

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Was not as good as last week. Thought the character development was poor for some characters. The storyline with the Targaryens and the Dothraki is very rushed, seems like a lot of scenes were cut that showed the change in character of Daenery.
    The episode was let down by no standout performances as it was focussed on too many characters without letting one character have a chance to shine.

My only issue with the ep. - the very jarring role reversal and swift powerplay by the blonde preggers wan, her brother reduced to dufus status WAY too quickly, like in a single scene he's a loser and she's calling the shots.

I thought the ep. was just as good as last week, loved Aiya (it's Aiya this week....last week it was Arya, and week one it was Aiya :rolleyes:) training with the Spanish swishy dude...great scene + fat king jolly and Jaime Lanister facing off, talking first kills. etc.

loved Aiya (it's Aiya this week....last week it was Arya, and week one it was Aiya :rolleyes:)

It's Ar-yah but there's different accents so it ain't also going to sound the same all the time.

Personally I always had it as Ar-ee-ah in my head and I'm sticking with that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Arya's sword training Chapters were some of my favourite in the books, the waterdance is something that should be explored in more detail.

Overall I thought the characters were developed rather nicely, its not so much a case of Visery becoming a weaker character, he is often referred to as the Beggar King in the books, but dany developing as a Khalisi/Queen in her own right and finally seeing him for what he is.

When does Theon Greyjoy pop up??????

My only issue with the ep. - the very jarring role reversal and swift powerplay by the blonde preggers wan, her brother reduced to dufus status WAY too quickly, like in a single scene he's a loser and she's calling the shots.

Gonna politely disagree with ya there, I thought the rapid change of dynamic was what was brilliant about that scene. The blonde dude (apologies, bad with character names) along with the audience are completely blindsided by this unforeseen but amazing dynamic shift.

I see why people might think of this episode as slightly weaker but i have to say that it was fantastic in a whole other way to last weeks, the characters are being fleshed out a lot more. For example the prince last week was nothing more then a sniveling despicable scumbag, this week however theres alot more depth to him after seeing his conversation with the mother.

When does Theon Greyjoy pop up??????

He was in the 1st two Eps. Was there when they found the pups and also the weirwood scene where he offered his support to Robb.
    theon-greyjoy-1024.jpg

I see everyone chilled and waited until the Sky broadcast, ahh....how peaceful this thread is now, well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 King Kenny

For me Joffrey, Snow and the imp are the standout performances in the first three eps.

Whats with Joffrey's accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Carcetti's acting is baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Orizio wrote: »

Ah obligatory Irish actor. Yeh hes not great tbh, he was ok as Carcetti though i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Snow is f*ckin badass!! :D I really like that character. He and Tyrion (sp?) are excellent.
    I also loved Robert and the Lannister's "first kill" scene.
    I did not like Little Finger one bit. (Not sure if I'm supposed to?)

In the scene where they are discussing finances... In saying the Kingdom is in 6 million debt. Did they say it was to the Lannister's? If not, then to whom? and If so, then with the king being married to a Lannister, is it really a debt?

Overall another brilliant episode. I LOVE this!! I'm almost annoyed there's only 7 left for the year.

• Advertisement

Who was that again?

Who was that again?

Littlefinger.

This show very much lives and dies on the acting, which is itself very mixed. Robert, Benjen, Jon, the two daughters, Daenerys, Jonah, Tyrion etc are pretty good, Cersei, Littlefinger etc are pretty woeful. The others are pretty middling, including Ned and Cat.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Ah obligatory Irish actor. Yeh hes not great tbh, he was ok as Carcetti though i thought.

He was excellent in The Wire, not sure what his problem is here.

Aiden Gillen is his name is it not? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

In the scene where they are discussing finances... In saying the Kingdom is in 6 million debt. Did they say it was to the Lannister's? If not, then to whom? and If so, then with the king being married to a Lannister, is it really a debt?

They said half of it was to the Lannisters. Presumably they have other loans with other houses, but they've mentioned that the Lannisters are known for being particularly wealthy.

If you loan money to your second cousin's husband, it's possible to still consider it a loan and expect eventual repayment. Just because you're related doesn't mean you all share a single bank account. Especially since all the nobles have some sort of family connection with each other. In medieval Europe, many of the kings were related in some way, but it didn't stop them from behaving independently and even going to war with one another.

Why is Syrio Italian?

• Advertisement

Why is Syrio Italian?

He's from an island city off the Eastern Continent, which is a bit like Venice. He was chosen specifically to teach her a different fighting style that emphasizes speed over strength, to suit her small stature.

Anachrony wrote: »
    He's from an island city off the Eastern Continent, which is a bit like Venice. He was chosen specifically to teach her a different fighting style that emphasizes speed over strength, to suit her small stature.

...I've read the first book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

confused about what happened to old king and how one killed the other and there still hanging around together

confused about what happened to old king and how one killed the other and there still hanging around together

Robert and Ned fought a rebellion against the old "mad" king (father of Daenerys and Viserys). Jamie was a member of the Kingsguard, sworn to protect the king, a role he still holds under Robert. At the end of that war, he broke his oath and was the one to kill the king. He chose the winning side and has a very influential family, so people tolerate him, but even many of the people who fought against the old king still distrust or despise him for breaking the oath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Aiden Gillen is his name is it not? :confused:

It is - he played Tommy Carcetti in season 4 of The Wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Daith

Agreed, much quieter episode this week but still enjoyable.

Highlights for me

Jon Snow and the Wall. Looks great as a visual. I like the fact that no one really believes that the whitewalkers are out there but I'm assuming we saw them in the first episode. Given how shoddy the Watch are (sans one or two people) it'll be interesting to see how they can fight them.

Arya: Actress is perfect for the role. You can already see that she's trying to figure out how to kill the entire royal family. Sansa comes across as so..wet in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Aidan Gillen is proving to be an awful actor.

He was rubbish in Love / Hate also.

But to be fair to him he didn't stink so bad in The Wire. I guess it was down to the high quality of actors around him.

Anachrony wrote: »
    Robert and Ned fought a rebellion against the old "mad" king (father of Daenerys and Viserys). Jamie was a member of the Kingsguard, sworn to protect the king, a role he still holds under Robert. At the end of that war, he broke his oath and was the one to kill the king. He chose the winning side and has a very influential family, so people tolerate him, but even many of the people who fought against the old king still distrust or despise him for breaking the oath.

and the old king burned down some place with the kings first wife and ned's sister inside, what was "mr master race"'s part in that and a what point did robert marry sarah conner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and the old king burned down some place wit the kings first wife and ned's sister inside, what was "mr master race"'s part in that and a what point did robert marry sarah conner?

pretty sure we're not allowed discuss the books at all in here
    just buy book 1 and read it :)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Game-Thrones-George-Martin/9780553593716

Being owed a huge vast amount by the King means that they are an 'untouchable' they will see themselves above the crown and wear there superiority on their sleeves, they know their own values monetary and in the roles they play this gives them an advantage in being able to call on the crown if they need it. Also the Lannister's are only in the Throne as marriage through Robert Baratheon, the crown is under the Baratheon banner.
    Why is Syrio Italian?

Just guess Braavos must have that Mediteranean vibe to it, as Pentos and Qartheen seem to have that North African vibe.

pretty sure we're not allowed discuss the books at all in here
    just buy book 1 and read it :)

well its the tv show i was trying to understand not the book.

well its the tv show i was trying to understand not the book.
    I'd say wait until the tv show presents you with the history. A lot of the history from the book is given to you very directly while reading. However on the tv show your going to have to pay close attention to the dialogue.

Like the Jaime and Ned scene in front on the throne. This is an added scene intended to give some of backdrop to the rebellion for the non-readers.

I'd recommend re-watching in blocks after your familiar with some of the characters and the world.

Also bookmark the following site. It gives some more background without revealing anything you're not supposed to be aware of at this point. It's great for seeing how the families are related and also to give more of an overview on the geography:
    http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I'm completely captivated by Dany's storyline. Can't wait to see where her character goes.

DeWitt wrote: »
    I'm completely captivated by Dany's storyline. Can't wait to see where her character goes.

Can't wait to see where her character goes.

Ad infinitum...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

That was BRILLIANT!!!! Much better than last week. I give this a 10/10 just like the first (I gave the last one 9/10). :)

* I really liked nearly all of the Petyr Bailish scenes, in particular the part where he brings Ned to a house of pleasure and then looks up and does a double-take to see Catelyn.
    * I loved the scene with Joffrey and his mother, and the line "Everyone who'se not us is our enemy". I'm so glad they showed Joffrey talking a bit honestly to his mother, other series would have him something like: "Grrrr, I'm the treacherous Prince Joffrey, grrrr, I can't tell the truth".... but GoT is so much more realistic and instead of black and white characters, sometimes things are many shades of gray.
    * Why was Robert like that? He wasn't really like that in the book, I found that scene unbelievable.
    * I think the scenes with Snow were good but they were too "deadly". They were using steel swords, and a person would get badly injured or death every 20 minutes if they kept going like that. It didn't seem very realistic. - (though Alliser Thorne did mention they weren't real swords).
    * Old Nan could have been better. I don't understand why Rob just told her to go for her supper and she just jumped up immediately and flew out the door. The Old Nan I knew knew was slow and not able to climb stairs, also didn't she have very little hair and I think a red face. Old women don't like to be ordered about like that. Also, I would have LOVED to see her "stupid little smile" when she spoke about knowing a story about a boy who hated stories.
    * I think Varys could have been explained and cast a bit better. I always imagined him as some crazy guy who spoke in a really strange and mysterious and devious way.
    * I liked Ned's talk with Arya but I liked it much better in the book. It didn't emotionally engage me here like it did in the book.
    * LOL @ Syrio. That was a really well done final scene. I thought the last "clip" as well was perfect, this did emotionally engage me.

Everything else was amazing. The acting, the locale, the scenes with Viserys, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement