Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Authoress? Harry Pothead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I had that on in the background there, just wondering if he would say anything meaningful and he did.

Nice little catholic hate there at 6:20, Christian love and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

LmCy4ql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I swear that priest looks like Alucard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I swear that priest looks like Alucard.

Hmm, not sure I see it myself :confused:

hellsing-ultimate-jpg.13312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Cabaal wrote: »
    US Pastor who hosts a radio talkshow falls for Waterford Whispers story, here's the story

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/01/21/church-hires-jk-rowling-to-rewrite-the-bible/

Here's the talkshow

sighhh

It is sad he has to explain "parody" to his listeners..

..oh and the bit he name drops Mail.co.uk as a respected news source
    tumblr_mtbzwdcPbP1qgeokxo1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Sin city no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

This woman believes she's cured 38 kids of autism by giving them bleach enemas. Yes, bleach enemas. Seems to have given some kids bleach baths too.

http://www.autismone.org/content/38-children-recovered-20-months-mms

More on her here:

http://io9.com/5916354/the-awful-inhumanity-of-using-bleach-enemas-to-treat-autistic-children

Haven't had the stomach to read it through to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I cannot look at that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OldBones

Holy crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's pretty anal of her. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    This woman believes she's cured 38 kids of autism by giving them bleach enemas. Yes, bleach enemas. Seems to have given some kids bleach baths too.

More on her here:

http://io9.com/5916354/the-awful-inhumanity-of-using-bleach-enemas-to-treat-autistic-children

I think the worst is that that Autism One crowd are supposed to be a support group for families with members suffering from autism. I honestly think there is no punishment too cruel to be refused for these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Just a follow up on this, the ****es behind the "bleach the autism out cure", the Genesis II church (a non-religious religion!) are coming to Wicklow this weekend.

If anyone is free I would urge them to picket these retards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,456 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS. These people need to be locked up.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

When Sodium Chlorite is Activated you can remove Dis-eases as wide ranging as; Cancers, Heart disease, Diabetes Malaria and Autoimmune Dysfunctions and many others.
    No doubt big pharma are suppressing these amazing cures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can always spot nutters by their use of the term dis-ease instead of disease. A sure sign that they're likely to tell you that your diabetes can be cured by cider vinegar, or some similar nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »

More on her here:

That there is where my usual plea to use the legal system would fail to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There will be Minister(s) at hand to guide you through. Once completed you are certified as a registered Health Minister and your name will be displayed as Reverend. I.e. Rev June Smith
    A whole weekend of quackology and you also get a Certificate of Ordination into the loon church as a Health Minister too. Seems like a bargain to me. But why are they only drinking tea at the event? They must be saving all the bleach for autistic kids.

Well, they'd be better Health Ministers than Mary Harney...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SRC
    Roughly 25 taxi drivers dispatched to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport are refusing to drive cabs adorned with advertising for the region’s upcoming Gay Games, citing religious reasons.

Ann Gynn, a spokeswoman for the Gay Games, said she believes the protest is an “isolated” case and not indicative of the beliefs held by most residents in Cleveland and Akron, where the Gay Games will be held on Aug. 9-16.

“What’s surprising is that the Gay Games are about inclusion,” she continued. “The Gay Games are open to everybody. This is about inclusiveness on sporting fields and welcoming people as they are.”

The affected taxicab companies will now backfill the airport’s fleet with metered vehicles until each company can hire replacement drivers. That process is expected to take up to three weeks, Mayo said.

Buddhists? Shinto? Mormons? Amish?
    Nope, again it's the religion of love and peace...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure the same taxi drivers will be more the happy to take the money from the thousands of people that will go to the gay games though, funny that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Buddhists doesn't like religious tattoos, deport brit.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/22/sri-lanka-deport-british-tourist-buddha-tattoo

Snippet
    The statement said she had an image of the Buddha seated on a lotus flower tattooed on her right arm.

...Sri Lanka barred another British tourist from entering the island in March last year for showing disrespect to Buddhism by having a Buddha tattooed on his arm.

Sri Lanka, a majority Buddhist nation, is highly sensitive to perceived threats to the religion.

In August 2012, three French tourists were sentenced to six months in jail, which was suspended for five years, for kissing a Buddha statue in what the authorities considered was a sign of disrespect.

"Fox guest: Promoting church-state separation at Easter is as bad as Westboro Baptist"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/18/fox-guest-promoting-church-state-separation-at-easter-like-carrying-god-hates-fgs-sign
    Raw Story wrote:
    In a Fox News segment called The Unholy War on Easter, a field director from Faith and Freedom Foundation decried the lack of “class” exhibited by a separation of church and state group, comparing them to the infamous anti-gay Westboro church. At issue is a display being set up in Chicago’s Daley Plaza of two 8 foot banners featuring the secular views of Thomas Jefferson and President John Adams, with one banner reading ‘In reason, we trust,’ the other reading ‘Keep state and religion separate.’ According to host Anna Kooiman, the banners are being erected to “counter the Jesus” in the plaza; a ten foot tall image of “the resurrected Jesus” and a 19-foot Christian cross, both already on display.

Joining the host was Freedom from Religion Foundation Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor and Faith and Freedom Foundation Deputy National Field Director Virginia Galloway. After wondering if Easter has “evolved into an occasion to demean religious beliefs and Christianity,” Kooiman asked Gaylor, “If you don’t believe in life after death, if you don’t believe in all of this stuff….why do you care? Why do this?” “We believe, if our public square is being taken over by a religion, we should be there too,” Gaylor replied. Turning to Galloway, Kooiman asked, “Virginia, as a Christian, what’s your reaction?”

“Well, I think it is kind of sad, on the week that Christians are celebrating the most significant part of their religion, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, and Jewish people are celebrating Passover, that we are attacked and denigrated, it doesn’t feel right,” Galloway said. She goes on to say that, “They have a right to express their opinion, a Constitutional right…” before adding, “It seems without class, like the Westboro crowd and the things that they did.” Kooiman then turned to Gaylor and asks, “What about bad manners here?’ Gaylor replied, “There is no bad manners in celebrating our secular Constitution.”

Galloway later complained “It’s not okay to say Christians can’t say anything in the public square. You can’t lock us in a building and say we can’t speak anywhere else.” Host Kooiman closed the segment telling the two women, “We love you both. God bless you both.”

It helps Murdoch's laissez-faire plans to keep America stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Apparently, getting baptised can be risky, if you do it in the sea and you can't swim ..!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,456 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will Sunday be called off?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27145931

John Paul II crucifix crushes man in northern Italy

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Will Sunday be called off?
    If only there were a chance of a real miracle... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This is horrific:

http://www.alternet.org/how-christian-purity-culture-enabled-my-step-dad-sexually-abuse-me?paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark
    To better understand the role that Purity Culture played in my step-father’s abuse, I would ask that you bear with me while I explain a little about the beliefs and practices of that culture.
    I should distinguish first the difference between the emphasis placed on purity in mainline Christian circles, and the hardcore Purity Community. The latter is best known for their the icky tradition of Purity Balls.
    At these annual events, daughters as young as five dress in elaborate white gowns and “gift” their virginities to their fathers for safekeeping.

I will grant you that purity balls are indeed cringe-worthy. But it is important that we not stop our examination of the culture at that point because the Purity Culture is far more troubling, and the relationship between father and daughter becomes far more enmeshed and emotionally incestuous than most articles about purity culture expose.

For starters, the balls are celebrations of the vow that these girls have made and the contract that they sign. They are agreeing to being spiritually married to their father and to God until such time as their father sees fit to give her to a husband.
    For their part, fathers pledge to protect their daughters’ virginity, which is the “most precious gift that she can offer her future husband.”

The whole control that religions have over sex is just the creepiest **** in the world. It's why people who have the attitude "sure what harm does religion do" piss me off so much.
    You can't challenge one part of it and not the others and the sort of revolting scumbaggery that occurs in the article is pretty much guaranteed at some point if you have these backwards and unchallengable beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

ninja900 wrote: »
    Will Sunday be called off?...
    John Paul II crucifix crushes man in northern Italy

JPII (that supporter and very close friend of Benny the paedo protector) already has one miracle to his name. He only needs two and he becomes a saint.. In the old days before he changed the rule this would have counted against him as it is clearly God saying a big thumbs down. So are they going to insist of a 2 goal lead or are they going to ignore this own goal?

My guess is the latter. Well why not...? They made Caligula a god!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

Gbear wrote: »
    The whole control that religions have over sex is just the creepiest **** in the world.

I suspect that it is because sex is so important to humans, and such a primal force, that is is so often tied up with religion. Some (many?) religions may have evolved as a response to human sexuality.

I wonder if it's only our relatively recent understanding of sex and psychology, and access to reliable contraception, that has demystified sex enough for most people to be willing to be willing to ignore much of the religious dogma on the subject.

So I'm never surprised when religions seem obsessed with sex, because I think religion has evolved (in part) as a mechanism to try to understand and control it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement