Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Sales 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

RedorDead wrote: »
    My point is customers must compromise when you purchase one. To gain general acceptance amongst all buyers you cannot take 14 hours to drive from Belfast to Cork. Why should you need to compromise?

Customers must currently compromise if buying diesel and avoid buying one for short journeys. It's a car being asked to take a long journey when it's not built to do so. It's perfect for people doing short trips. I'd wager most two car families who have two new vehicles would be better off having one of these and and another car rather than two conventially fuelled cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I never used the word useless. I said they are still years off general market acceptance.

True but new technology or applications can take time. This is especially true. I still know people who think Prius's are scary technology that'll never catch on and that Skodas are old commi tat. With cars people are slow to recognise a good change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Was speaking to Nissan salesman, he was saying sales are really picking up.

My point is customers must compromise when you purchase one. To gain general acceptance amongst all buyers you cannot take 14 hours to drive from Belfast to Cork. Why should you need to compromise?

The problem as I see it was in part their mistake of route option and failure to use the E-cars charge point map which shows if chargers are on-line or not.

I didn't have time to read it all yet, but I probably couldn't be bothered, it seems like these people had an agenda.....

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

Doing a "Belfast-Cork trip in 14 hours" shows 3 things:
    * This is just a negative catch phrase (he returned in 9 hours)
    * Driver didn't do well. 8 hours should be enough. And yes that's still considerably more than with a petrol/diesel car.
    * It's NOT THE PURPOSE of this car ! It's like going test driving Audi TT, to the garden center, buying some trees and saying that it's a rubbish car because it can't carry all these trees at once (same for a school run). I know that if you own a TT, you would then borrow the Jeep of a friend/family or rent something. Well you can do just the same with an electric vehicle.

It's not all beautiful because it's a new technology, but from the moment you consider an EV like what it should be (ie a commuter), then you should be fine.

PS: Yes I own an EV, yet it's my one and only car, and no I can't charge at home (I rely on public charging infrastructure) though never been stranded. With all the money saved, I'll happily rent a car if I need to go to Belfast sometime :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Maybe I'm missing something but...

Distance from Larne to Dublin by road is 202km, according to Google maps. You'd hope that they had the wit to charge the car before they set off.

From the article:

"With a 30-minute charge typically allowing for 130km on the road, the car was charged four times before it reached Dublin — in Belfast, Newry, and then on both Apple Green stops on the M1 south of the border."

Larne to Belfast is 41km - the car needed to be charged after that distance?

And then:

"The car was also charged in Dublin and at Junction 14 on the M7 in Kildare."

Distance from Dublin to J14 on the M7 is in the region of 60km.

Edit:

The article was light on detail/badly written (apart from the poor performance of the car) but it seems that four people and their luggage were carried in the car. A bit more detail on the driving style/EV driving experience would be a big help in explaining the approx 60km range of the car

Maybe I'm missing something but...

Distance from Larne to Dublin by road is 202km, according to Google maps. You'd hope that they had the wit to charge the car before they set off.

From the article:

"With a 30-minute charge typically allowing for 130km on the road, the car was charged four times before it reached Dublin — in Belfast, Newry, and then on both Apple Green stops on the M1 south of the border."

Larne to Belfast is 41km - the car needed to be charged after that distance?

And then:

"The car was also charged in Dublin and at Junction 14 on the M7 in Kildare."

Distance from Dublin to J14 on the M7 is in the region of 60km.

Edit:

The article was light on detail/badly written (apart from the poor performance of the car) but it seems that four people and their luggage were carried in the car. A bit more detail on the driving style/EV driving experience would be a big help in explaining the approx 60km range of the car

People can print what they want, it's up to the people reading to do their own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I never used the word useless. I said they are still years off general market acceptance.

You'll have a hard time convincing MadLad of that though, god knows I've tried for some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

People can print what they want, it's up to the people reading to do their own research.

Absolutely. I'm surprised that such a journey was undertaken by people who seem to have had little understanding of what they were driving. If you look at the mileage between stops you'll notice that the range improved significantly after the Mayfield stop. Even allowing for other variables it looks like either they finally learned how to drive more efficiently or swapped to a more insightful driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Personally i love the whole 'concept car made reality' look of most EV's. I guess its a matter of personal taste, but it always turns my head when a car goes by that looks a little different from the rest of the herd.

• Advertisement

262 miles Dublin to Belfast, Leaf average 70 miles per 100% charge, so 30 mins empty to full average perhaps 20-30 mins per charge on a QC.

My maths isn;t fantastic but that's about 3.7 QC's, about 2 hrs extra, not exactly impossible. Pain in the arse maybe, that's why i wouldn't bother do it in a leaf, I'd take the Prius or get a loan of an old type ICE car.

It's my understanding they did not use the e-car charge point app to find out which chargers were on line or not. And they also took a wrong route.

It's within the boundaries of the Model S 85 kwh on one charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I didn't have time to read it all yet, but I probably couldn't be bothered, it seems like these people had an agenda.....

They didnt - they were from a Belfast based renewable energy company called Action Renewables.
    Lutecia wrote: »
    Doing a "Belfast-Cork trip in 14 hours" shows 3 things:
    * This is just a negative catch phrase (he returned in 9 hours)
    * Driver didn't do well. 8 hours should be enough. And yes that's still considerably more than with a petrol/diesel car.
    * It's NOT THE PURPOSE of this car ! It's like going test driving Audi TT, to the garden center, buying some trees and saying that it's a rubbish car because it can't carry all these trees at once (same for a school run). I know that if you own a TT, you would then borrow the Jeep of a friend/family or rent something. Well you can do just the same with an electric vehicle.

It's not all beautiful because it's a new technology, but from the moment you consider an EV like what it should be (ie a commuter), then you should be fine.

PS: Yes I own an EV, yet it's my one and only car, and no I can't charge at home (I rely on public charging infrastructure) though never been stranded. With all the money saved, I'll happily rent a car if I need to go to Belfast sometime :)

Agreed - but my point is never to criticise the car and what its used for, its to point out that as long as stories like this occur mass market acceptance is years away for EVs. PHEVs offer much more immediate potential.

Agreed, informing readers of numbers in the car and luggage and driving conditions (air con etc) is key here. It was poorly presented.
    262 miles Dublin to Belfast, Leaf average 70 miles per 100% charge, so 30 mins empty to full average perhaps 20-30 mins per charge on a QC.

My maths isn;t fantastic but that's about 3.7 QC's, about 2 hrs extra, not exactly impossible.

Indeed its not - its approx 100 miles or 160 km. Are you confusing it with Belfast to Cork distance?

Indeed its not - its approx 100 miles or 160 km. Are you confusing it with Belfast to Cork distance?

Yeah Belfast to Cork, oops ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Just a simple graph showing BMW I3 and Nissan Leaf sales this year compared to last year. The vast majority are Nissan Leaf sales though and the I3 wasn't for sale last year.

317655.JPG

This one breaks down July in more detail. Nice to see one Tesla sold in Ireland :)

10536919_10202555744886076_2764536197031632502_n.jpg?oh=8c2f3f9a928a8474efa680e518e02b2a&oe=54670A0C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

How does one calculate the price to pay for importing a new Tesla from the UK or another EU country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

One car in a thousand sold in UK is Electric. BBC "Costing the Earth".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Sabre Man wrote: »
    How does one calculate the price to pay for importing a new Tesla from the UK or another EU country?

You'll need to find out what VRT you have to pay (14% of OMSP - €5000) then you'll need to pay VAT if it's less than 6 months old or has less than 6000kms.

Advertisement