Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuum [Showcase - CA] *Spoilers!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

iguana wrote: »
    Think they were called transponders.

Transducers, and I really, really wanted one.

Hadn't heard of Continuum until now, so must check it out. Looks like it could be good, and the positive posts about episode 1 are always encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

I love time travel related shows and movies too, so I'll admit to bias - but just watched the pilot episode and it was very enjoyable.
    It had a really good pace for a show and laid the groundwork for plenty of backstory and plot development.
    Definitely on my to-watch list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just watched the pilot there. Quite liked it actually. Some really promising stuff. I'll be watching it no doubt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thought it was a bit meh overall. I found 3 big flaws with it. The first was that it needs a bigger music budget. They obviously have no rights to anything original and their composer is terrible. Music plays an important role in mood setting but the mood set by this screamed cheap and lazy. It was like it was put together by a film student in 1992 on his $200 Casio keyboard. I could have overlooked it if the plot was good enough but t wasn't.

A lot of this episode relied on extreme contrivance. Like handsome contemporary cop would leave some stranger claiming to be a cop alone in a room with a suspect without seeing her badge. And even if he was stupid enough to do that he would have been straight back in that room the instant the CCTV went out. Then we have the very convenient phonecall that interrupts his boss from asking for her supervisor's details, followed by him being so upset after the attack on the precinct that he just tells her to transfer herself. It was extremely lazy writing, which I could have glossed over if the main plot had been good enough but it just wasn't.

We didn't see enough of 2077 at all. I know that the device of her recalling events she never paid proper attention to at the time will keep sending us back there but we needed a bit more set up. The little bit we saw of the future made it seem like little more than a future version of now. We got a tiny smidge of debate with Keira's lone friend lamenting the loss of democracy but even he didn't seem that bothered and none of the rest of the group gave a damn. Why are Liber8 so pissed off? A corporate society relies on a reasonably libertarian society of consumers who are always becoming slightly more affluent so they can keep consuming and allow the corporations to keep expanding. If people are poor and can't consume they are of little use to corporations, unless of course they are producers working in sweatshops. Presumably then the world of 2077 is two tier and those two tiers are no longer kept so far apart by geography as they are now. We needed to see more of that so we could understand why Liber8 are trying to so hard to change things that they think little of killing 10s of 1000s as collateral damage.

Worst of all is that most of the Liber8 people who are back in 2012 a bunch of psychopaths instead of terrorists/guerilla fighters who believe in a genuine political cause. They just seem like nutters trying to destroy a nice enough society because they are bad. It would be a lot more interesting if they were ordinary people hardened by living in a tough producer society, with certain members of the group, like the tech guy, former members of the consumer society who couldn't live with the loss of personal freedoms and the inequalities he'd stopped turning a blind eye to.

I'll give it a few more episodes because what I read about the show made it seem like it was a lot smarter than it was and I'm holding out a hope that the next few episodes will start into that direction. That and it's nice to see the Cigarette Smoking Man again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd guess that most of those things were deliberate and will be explained as the show progresses, they can't give away everything in the pilot :)

I enjoyed it, it was a pretty solid opener. I'm a little worried that the bad guys will split up and it will be a case of chasing one down each week, with lots of cuts to the future, like Alcatraz. I hope they have something more imaginative in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

well to be fair to her iguana she has just touched down in 2012 and weaved a lie out of noting so she could gain access to the suspect, i doubt very much shell know how to sort her identity that quick,

music can always make a episode feel better than it actually is, maybe they should get onto the crew who scored Stargate Universe (sure they probably live across the road), they had some great music on that show,

and the main problem you would have with showing to much of the future is continuity, making X relate to Y but 60 years apart,

also even with corporations running the world war most likely still exists, some of the liber8 people was ex soldiers, if the world is run by corporations why do they need armies???

an interesting start so far anyway, i though the CSM would be the kid alright, and was it me or did he seem very happy when he met Kiera at the end, i knew he was happy she got sent back in time, but was it because he wants to change things in the past or make things work out for himself in the future,

i loved it anyway, a great start to to a show i hope runs for a few years,

EDIT: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/28/sci-fi-drama-continuum-crushes-the-competition-in-canada-in-its-premiere/135945/

1.7 million over 2 airings, supposedly great rating and crushed the competition,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyway now weve all agreed its awesome :P, lets get onto speculation.

What do people make of the husbands reaction to her suddenly being inside the execution chamber? Is he involved with libr8?

Also promo for next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ it broke records in Canada....i thought the pilot was excellent, i'm in....fuller review at the weekend, this is akin to The Walking Dead in the US, in terms of ratings.

Eppy 2 tonight....this show has garner alot of publicity stateside + global :)

Continuum Episode 1.03 - Wasting Time
    Murder victims with holes bored in their heads show up; Kiera and Carlos try to find out why the victims are being killed.

confirmed, im in this for the long haul,

superb 2nd episode, i like that we get flashbacks to the future, means we should find out exactly why liber8 went back,

great how her identity was sorted out, and at least we don't have to remember both her names now:)

i want one of them suits :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I much preferred the second episode! Liked the musical montage at the end, reminded me of SGU and sure Jennifer Spence played Dr. Park in that and random analyst in this. And like how they mentioned TOR instead of giving some CSI Technobabble line.

What's up with the weird field of view shots where only the very center of the shot is in focus? I though that was really annoying.

Your man going in to the bank with a duffel bag full of money probably looks really suspicious too.

Anyone get an ad for Fido in the middle of this?

Conor108 wrote: »
    I much preferred the second episode! Liked the musical montage at the end, reminded me of SGU and sure Jennifer Spence played Dr. Park in that and random analyst in this. And like how they mentioned TOR instead of giving some CSI Technobabble line.

What's up with the weird field of view shots where only the very center of the shot is in focus? I though that was really annoying.

Your man going in to the bank with a duffel bag full of money probably looks really suspicious too.

Anyone get an ad for Fido in the middle of this?
    yes im thinking of switching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've only watched the pilot so far, but I'm not too impressed... I expected more than a procedural cop fish-out-of-water drama. Plus the acting from the lead is dodgy at best. I'll stick with it to see if it improves; wouldn't be the first time I've been less than impressed and stuck it out until it improved (or didn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's getting a little better but there are all sorts of stupid things in it. Like why did they use a machine that could tear a hole in time to execute people? What happened to the injection?

It looks like it intends to be an action show and the plot will only be a way of linking certain action scenes together.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's getting a little better but there are all sorts of stupid things in it. Like why did they use a machine that could tear a hole in time to execute people? What happened to the injection?

It looks like it intends to be an action show and the plot will only be a way of linking certain action scenes together.

It looked like the machine was simply an energy source designed to kill people and they hijacked that energy with the little ball thing to open the hole

ScumLord wrote: »

wha:confused::confused:, it was more than likely suppose to electrocute them, but instead they used it to power that ball device that sent them back in time, how did you think the machine tore a hole in time,

Week 3 sees another ratings drop, but still a hit for Showcase: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/06/continuum-episode-3-ratings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Blah blah ratings blah blah. :o

Just enjoy the flippin' show.

Mr E wrote: »
    Blah blah ratings blah blah. :o

Just enjoy the flippin' show.

LOL Richard doesnt watch shows, just the ratings

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL Richard doesnt watch shows, just the ratings

I do watch them....but not every show i post about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thoroughly enjoying this! But in the back of my mind it seems like the 3rd season for Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes that they never went on to write? Not a bad thing at all!

Agreed, fourth episode really sealed this show as a keeper on the summer lineup for me.

I hope we start seeing a lot more of Kagame. He's a much more interesting character to me than Keira. Watching him plan his war in the present and seeing the flashbacks to the future and how he is driven from idealist to Machiavellian seem like the better story than Keira's crime of the week and flashbacks to her Protector/Mom days.

Are we not supposed to prefer the terrorists? Or is that just me?

Thats whats kind of interesting about this, i dont think they are telling us to prefer either side, yes Keira is obviously the main character but it looks like they are gonna make apoint to show her the flaws in the form of society she has chosen to defend as a protector.
    Likewise i hope they show the Liber8 crew the flaws in our society and how their solution may not be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

VinLieger wrote: »
    It looked like the machine was simply an energy source designed to kill people and they hijacked that energy with the little ball thing to open the hole
    Simply a giant room sized electricity spitting machine. T'was a bit of a ridiculous contraption what's wrong with needles?

Show is getting better, I do like the fact it's not exactly clear who's side you should be on. I don't want to support the corporate pig main character.

I think it's meant to be a grey area. Obviously a modern day audience is far more likely to understand where a movement to remove the world from complete corporate control is coming from. But they do seem utterly fine with killing anyone who stands even remotely in their way which isn't something an audience will easily sympathise with. Some of the Liber8 people are sympathetic, Kellog who just wants to enjoy the pleasures he didn't have in his own time, Lucas who is obviously intelligent and likely has good reason for joining them but doesn't take pleasure in inflicting pain and Kagame. On the other hand Sonya, despite her medical background and extreme intelligence is still too one dimensional while Travis and Garza haven't been developed at all except as somewhat psychopathic, while Curtis was almost moustache twirlingly evil. But if they were developed better their different approaches and ideas of what to achieve in 2012 would be an interesting story all by itself, with no need for Keira's input at all initially. I also think that the first three are all played by better actors than Nicholls and would carry the show better.

so if kagama didnt arrive till 4 eps in which i assume is probably 3 or 4 weeks in the show, and that fella said it was probably due to his distance from the ball yoke, would that mean well be seeing more arrivals soon, probably that guy who gave them the pieces and maybe one or two guards (who im gonna say now will die within each of the episodes they arrive in)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that was a hell of lot of shooting at kitchen furniture, yerman had 3 or 4 clips just non stop shooting, but of course he needed to run out so they could fight

• Advertisement

1 week hiatus coming up: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/06/continuum-hiatus-after-episode-5.html

Continuum will not be airing a new episode on July 1st as it will be Canada Day.

Advertisement