Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

J C wrote: »
    I am not conceding that the original quote is incorrect ... I don't have access to the book 'Determinism and Finality' ... so I can't confirm or deny whether Bounoure or the even more eminent Rostand actually pronounced Evolution to be a fairy tale ...
    ... in any event, it is a moot point, as far as the ultimate validity of Evolution is concerned, whether it was Bounoure or Rostand who actually pronounced Evolution to be a fairy tale !!!
    Talk about 'sweating the small stuff'!!!

BTW your silence is deafening on all of the other equally devastating quotes on Evolution by Evolutionists ... you could start here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68179370&postcount=1010

It is not a moot point. The point is quite clear and relevant. You have said that someone said something that they didn't. I have no interest in debating creationist rubbish with you. I am interested in demonstrating your dishonesty (which is clear for all to see Professor Plumb).

You say that you don't have a copy of the source. I notice that you never mentioned that when you misrepresented and misquoted the person initially. I guess it didn't matter to you then

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

... the Rayleigh scattering results in an observed shifting of the emission spectra ... and you are correct that nobody attributes this to a Doppler Effect ... because we know this is not true ... so why do we attribute much smaller stellar spectral shifts to doppler effects?

JC nobody attributed the doppler effect to to the atmosphere....ARE YOU COMPLETELY LOST? You are deliberately trying to confuse the matter now (just like your creationist science sources).

JC doppler effect is attributed to light sources which are very close to us (ie distance has had very little effect on the observed red shift) because they are much closer, the expansion of spacetime effects the light alot less than it would from objects which are further away and therefore the redshift is MOSTLY attributed to recessional velocities!!! (NOT ATTRIBUTED BECAUSE THEY ARE SMALLER JC BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE CLOSER) Just like sponsored walk said Jc you are once again being accused of lying.
    By the way J C very few shifted spectra are attributed to doppler effect. For the better part doppler effect is all but ignored because most objects we measure are too far away to only consider doppler effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

It is not a moot point. The point is quite clear and relevant. You have said that someone said something that they didn't. I have no interest in debating creationist rubbish with you. I am interested in demonstrating your dishonesty (which is clear for all to see Professor Plumb).

You say that you don't have a copy of the source. I notice that you never mentioned that when you misrepresented and misquoted the person initially. I guess it didn't matter to you then
    Could I gently remind you that the I quoted the quote originally out of John May's book (pages 48-50 to be precise)!!!

The bottom line is that these type of quotes are 'two a penny' amongst top Evolutionists ...

See what Prof Paul Lemoine had to say about this here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68177160&postcount=991

or how about what Dr Lynn Margulis had to say here:-

or how about what Prof George Wald had to say here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68184808&postcount=1026

or how about the other six quotes here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68164359&postcount=971

... and your only response is to stick your head in the sands of denial ... while calling me a liar!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

... and your only response is to stick your head in the sands of denial ... while calling me a liar!!!:)

Mostly cause you are.
    You lied about have mathematical proof that evolution can't possibly happen.

You pretty much admitted that when you ignored my posts asking you to supply this.

So JC why do you have to lie to spread the truth?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

King Mob wrote: »

Is that like warring for peace?
    Or fu... nvm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

What does any of this have to do with a man writing a book about a subject he is unqualified to criticise?

Mostly cause you are.
    You lied about have mathematical proof that evolution can't possibly happen.

You pretty much admitted that when you ignored my posts asking you to supply this.
    ... all in its own good time!!

Improbable wrote: »
    What does any of this have to do with a man writing a book about a subject he is unqualified to criticise?
    John May isn't scientifically qualified ... but I am ... and even if you discount what I say ... what have you to say about the quotes in the links posted here?:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68192794&postcount=1055

... all in its own good time!!

So not only are you lying about having this proof as well as ignoring questions you're now mis-quoting people.

Why exactly did you edit out this line:

Why don't you forget the mathematical proof (cause we all well know you're lying about that) and answer those questions?
    Cause I would really like to know how someone can be so intellectually dishonest.

but I am

Oooh another lie.
    I doubt you'd be able to pass the junior cert let alone any thing that would let you be qualified.

• Advertisement

John May isn't scientifically qualified ... but I am ... and even if you discount what I say ... what have you to say about the quotes in the links posted here?:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68192794&postcount=1055

I'll start reading that now. In the meantime, could you explain what qualifications you have in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Could I gently remind you that the I quoted the quote originally out of John May's book (pages 48-50 to be precise)!!!

The bottom line is that these type of quotes are 'two a penny' amongst top Evolutionists ... they just don't want the 'great unwashed' to know it is a load of baloney.

See what Prof Paul Lemoine had to say about this here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68177160&postcount=991

or how about what Dr Lynn Margulis had to say here:-

or how about what Prof George Wald had to say here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68184808&postcount=1026

or how about the other six quotes here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68164359&postcount=971

Still trying to do a bit of research into the above, however from the bit I have done it would appear that Dr. Margulis does not dismiss evolution but contests the mechanism. She argues that symbiosis may be more of a driver than competition. Though I do not have access to her literature, I do know that it is generally thought that mitochondria could be the remnant of a single celled organism that had a symbiotic relationship with our predecessors. I did not know the Dr. Margulis was the first to publish this, thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Non-scientists do seem to struggle with the fact that evolution is a theory, which it most definitely is, though supported by quite a bit of evidence, such as the fossil record and comparative DNA. There are very few facts in science and this allows for debate and realignment of theory as new evidence appears. One could argue that gravity is a theory since its existence can only be demonstrated, ie inferred from the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Lads, I don't know if it's worth it. I don't think J C has a properly formed concept of what truth is. He's decided that the highest authority on this matter is the text of the Bible, and as such it doesn't matter to him how much evidence is heaped before him or how many of his crackpot ideas are debunked.

Sure, he'll argue the creationist case for the sake of it, but no matter what is said, the Bible exists for him in a different realm of truth to anything else — something in the Bible could be shown to be false in reality, where everyone else operates, but for J C the Bible wins every time. Something as trivial as reality can't compete with the Bible.

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Lads, I don't know if it's worth it. I don't think J C has a properly formed concept of what truth is. He's decided that the highest authority on this matter is the text of the Bible, and as such it doesn't matter to him how much evidence is heaped before him or how many of his crackpot ideas are debunked.

Sure, he'll argue the creationist case for the sake of it, but no matter what is said, the Bible exists for him in a different realm of truth to anything else — something in the Bible could be shown to be false in reality, where everyone else operates, but for J C the Bible wins every time. Something as trivial as reality can't compete with the Bible.
    ... like I have previously said ... don't worry about me ... try convincing yourselves of the validity of Evolution!!!!

We see evidence of very significant speciation (recently and rapidly) within Created Kinds all around us. The Cattle Kind has over 100 different species with different degrees of cross-fertility between them ... ditto the Horse Kind, the Cat Kind, the Dog Kind, etc.

Most of the major speciatiation appears to have already occurred and speciation is now very limited in its extent.

J C Im shocked at your persistent efforts to avoid giving any relevant answer to ghostbusters questionwink.gifwink.gif

You were clearly asked to explain how creation and the flood explained the existence of introns?
    Now what you have done is just gone a rant about cats, dogs, cows and horses and how there are 100's of types of them yada yada....this is all recent..rapid...... shoot creationist video!

J C not once did you or your video mention the word INTRON.
    This video, you will notice explains absolutely nothing and uses the same tactic you are using (schpeel out some scientific words and try to bamboozle people).

J C all these types of dogs cats ... they're all just subspecies. Of course they can interbreed.
    the offspring of horses and donkeys/zebra are sterile and are not very common! Due to the fact that most or all interspecies offspring are sterile it pretty much blows your idea of so called "rapid speciation" out of the water.
    J C in all the time that weve been breeding dogs and cats and the like,we have still not even produced an animal that is neither a dog nor a cat. So how could such a short time line of 6000yrs produce so many differnt types of species:rolleyes:

once again J C please answer ghostbusters question with an answer thats releventmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

... like I have previously said ... don't worry about me ... try convincing yourselves of the validity of Evolution!!!!

Dude we've given up trying to convince you that evolution is true when it became clear you can't understand basic concepts.
    Now we're just trying to tease out where your dishonesty arises and how far it extends.
    But it seems that you are even too dishonest or too dense to even answer those questions.

Par for the course with creationism and other bull**** like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Even if evolution were false it wouldn't mean creationism is true.
    Which is yet another reason that it's all a tad pointless.

You can gently point out what ever you like - its still a load of rubbish.

Repeating a lie is still a lie, even if someone else said it initially. I am surprised it took you this long to try and weasel your way out of taking responsibility for the lie by claiming that it was Mr May's mistake and not yours. Of course, a few posts ago you were hailing him as a literary giant. Now when you are caught out (yet again) in a lie, you are quick to point the finger and cry 'it was him, not me'. A liar and a coward - charming.

Improbable wrote: »

This thread went off that topic a long time ago - that tends to happen when creationists get involved

bluewolf wrote: »
    Even if evolution were false it wouldn't mean creationism is true.
    Which is yet another reason that it's all a tad pointless.
    Like I have said ... don't worry about Creationism ... just concentrate on Evolution ... and try to really think it through!!!

To 'prime your pump' ... here are a few thoughts from Philip Skell Evan Pugh Professor at Pennsylvania State University

Certainly, my own research with antibiotics during World War II received no guidance from insights provided by Darwinian evolution. Nor did Alexander Fleming's discovery of bacterial inhibition by penicillin. I recently asked more than 70 eminent researchers if they would have done their work differently if they had thought Darwin's theory was wrong. The responses were all the same: No.

I also examined the outstanding biodiscoveries of the past century: the discovery of the double helix; the characterization of the ribosome; the mapping of genomes; research on medications and drug reactions; improvements in food production and sanitation; the development of new surgeries; and others. I even queried biologists working in areas where one would expect the Darwinian paradigm to have most benefited research, such as the emergence of resistance to antibiotics and pesticides. Here, as elsewhere, I found that Darwin's theory had provided no discernible guidance, but was brought in, after the breakthroughs, as an interesting narrative gloss.
    Why Do We Invoke Darwin? August 29, 2005

Darwinian explanations for such things are often too supple: Natural selection makes humans self-centered and aggressive – except when it makes them altruistic and peaceable. Or natural selection produces virile men who eagerly spread their seed – except when it prefers men who are faithful protectors and providers. When an explanation is so supple that it can explain any behavior, it is difficult to test it experimentally, much less use it as a catalyst for scientific discovery.

Examining the major advances in biological knowledge, one fails to find any real connection between biological history and the experimental designs that have produced today's cornucopia of knowledge of how the great variety of living organisms perform their functions. It is our knowledge of how these organisms actually operate, not speculations about how they may have arisen millions of years ago, that is essential to doctors, veterinarians, farmers and other practitioners of biological science.
    The Dangers of Overselling Evolution February 23 2009

The public should view with profound alarm this unnecessary and misguided reintroduction of speculative historical, philosophical and religious ideas into the realms of experimental science.
    Through the writings of neo-Darwinian biologists, they have subsumed many of the biological experimental discoveries of the 20th century. This is so despite the fact that those discoveries were neither predicted nor heuristically guided by evolutionary theory.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/23/evolution-creation-debate-biology-opinions-contributors_darwin.html

• Advertisement

This thread went off that topic a long time ago - that tends to happen when creationists get involved
    It was derailed by unfounded Evolutionist accusations of lying against me ... when I simply quoted from John May's book!!!

It was derailed by unfounded Evolutionist accusations of lying against me ... when I simply quoted from John May's book!!!
    I'm accusing you of lying about a claim you made but can't back up.

And has been pointed out that if you repeat a lie, it's still lying.
    But good to see you realise that May was lying...

keppler wrote: »
    J C Im shocked at your persistent efforts to avoid giving any relevant answer to ghostbusters questionwink.gifwink.gif

You were clearly asked to explain how creation and the flood explained the existence of introns?
    Now what you have done is just gone a rant about cats, dogs, cows and horses and how there are 100's of types of them yada yada....this is all recent..rapid...... shoot creationist video!

J C not once did you or your video mention the word INTRON.
    This video, you will notice explains absolutely nothing and uses the same tactic you are using (schpeel out some scientific words and try to bamboozle people).

J C all these types of dogs cats ... they're all just subspecies. Of course they can interbreed.
    the offspring of horses and donkeys/zebra are sterile and are not very common! Due to the fact that most or all interspecies offspring are sterile it pretty much blows your idea of so called "rapid speciation" out of the water.
    J C in all the time that weve been breeding dogs and cats and the like,we have still not even produced an animal that is neither a dog nor a cat. So how could such a short time line of 6000yrs produce so many differnt types of species:rolleyes:

once again J C please answer ghostbusters question with an answer thats relevent[IMG]http://b- I was just about to say the same, the Zedonk (Zebra X donkey) is sterile as are most of the examples in the video. My understanding is that different species if they breed, cannot produce fertile offspring. The different types of cats and dogs are more akin to strains, not species, and as such can breed and produce fertile young - hence moggies and mongrels.[/img]

I'm accusing you of lying about a claim you made but can't back up.

And has been pointed out that if you repeat a lie, it's still lying.
    But good to see you realise that May was lying...
    ... nobody is lying ...!!!

... we have a difference of opinion ... and so far the evidence is stacking up in my favour.

Please note that when I disagree with you guys ... I provide reasons as to why I am right and you are wrong ... and I would suggest that you try to do likewise!!!

... making unfounded allegations of lying gets you ... and your argument nowhere!!

keppler wrote: »
    OH and J C you still have not answered my previous simple question. Are you argueing that redshift is not a viable means for calculating distances to other galaxies and therefore implying that our estimated age of the universe at 13.5 billion years incorrect and therefore implying that god did make the heavens in one day 6000 years ago????
    IT'S A YES OR NO ANSWER mad.gif

Some of the distances my be even greater ... but redshift isn't a fool-proof way of measuing these distances.

J C read my question "YES OR NO"
    by stating that "Some of the distances my be even greater..." tells me that your understanding of physics is non-existant as you do not realize the implication distance has on your 'house of cards idea' called creation.

on the other hand JC your statement has implied that some of the distances may be smaller
    Jc your technique of spinning your answers is not going to work on me!

You have now stated that you do not believe using redshift to calculate distance is fool-proof (by fool-proof I will assume you mean accurate).......THIS IS ONLY HALF THE ANSWER

Now J C you must fully answer the question! Do you think it's inaccuracy implies that it is possible god made the heavens in one day 6000years ago?????....answer itmad.gif

... we have a difference of opinion ... and so far the evidence is stacking up in my favour.

Please note that when I disagree with you guys ... I provide reasons as to why I am right and you are wrong ... and I would suggest that you try to do likewise!!!

... making unfounded allegations of lying gets you ... and your argument nowhere!!

J C you have not given one reason or piece of evidence to explain ghostbusters question
    INTRONS JC .....INTRONS

Like I have said ... don't worry about Creationism ... just concentrate on Evolution ... and try to really think it through!!!

To 'prime your pump' ... here are a few thoughts from Philip Skell Evan Pugh Professor at Pennsylvania State University

Certainly, my own research with antibiotics during World War II received no guidance from insights provided by Darwinian evolution. Nor did Alexander Fleming's discovery of bacterial inhibition by penicillin. I recently asked more than 70 eminent researchers if they would have done their work differently if they had thought Darwin's theory was wrong. The responses were all the same: No.

I also examined the outstanding biodiscoveries of the past century: the discovery of the double helix; the characterization of the ribosome; the mapping of genomes; research on medications and drug reactions; improvements in food production and sanitation; the development of new surgeries; and others. I even queried biologists working in areas where one would expect the Darwinian paradigm to have most benefited research, such as the emergence of resistance to antibiotics and pesticides. Here, as elsewhere, I found that Darwin's theory had provided no discernible guidance, but was brought in, after the breakthroughs, as an interesting narrative gloss.

Darwinian explanations for such things are often too supple: Natural selection makes humans self-centered and aggressive – except when it makes them altruistic and peaceable. Or natural selection produces virile men who eagerly spread their seed – except when it prefers men who are faithful protectors and providers. When an explanation is so supple that it can explain any behavior, it is difficult to test it experimentally, much less use it as a catalyst for scientific discovery.

Examining the major advances in biological knowledge, one fails to find any real connection between biological history and the experimental designs that have produced today's cornucopia of knowledge of how the great variety of living organisms perform their functions. It is our knowledge of how these organisms actually operate, not speculations about how they may have arisen millions of years ago, that is essential to doctors, veterinarians, farmers and other practitioners of biological science.

The public should view with profound alarm this unnecessary and misguided reintroduction of speculative historical, philosophical and religious ideas into the realms of experimental science.
    Through the writings of neo-Darwinian biologists, they have subsumed many of the biological experimental discoveries of the 20th century. This is so despite the fact that those discoveries were neither predicted nor heuristically guided by evolutionary theory.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/23/evolution-creation-debate-biology-opinions-contributors_darwin.html

Prof. Pugh is talking about the fact that evolution has little or no role in scientific discoveries. He is not saying that evolution is not a valid explaination for how species have arisen. I would have to agree with him, evolution has virtually no role in scientific research (except in evolutionary research).

I pointed to a link that indicates that you were misquoting and misrepresenting. The accusation of lying is not unfounded and you well know it. You have essentially defamed another person and then subsequently spent several posts trying to divert attention from that fact and/or weasel your way out of taking responsibility for your own posts.

I point this out so that any casual reader should be aware that any information or quotes that you post should not be afforded the normal amount of trust that might be expected on an internet discussion group. You have a long track record of this type of behaviour (i.e. quote mining/misrepresenting) on the BCP thread.

You claimed to have mathematical proof. (amoung other stuff you've failed to provide) You have failed, despite two pages of me asking for it, to provide any such proof.

So can you show this proof or not?

And since you no doubt intend to ignore this question, there's a stipulation.
    If your next post doesn't contain the proof you said you have, it means that you where lying when you said you had it.

• Advertisement

You know J C, for every scientist you claim does not agree with evolution, I'm fairly sure I can find a lot more in the world that do agree with it. Did you have a point to make or not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement