Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

colossus-x wrote: »
    The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.
    Not if the rest of the public has such a silly opinion it won't.

Well maybe silly is a bit strong, but turning down your TV for a bit of music? That would be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pighead wrote: »
    Judd playing the best snooker of the tournament so far and will probably start favourite against Ronnie.

No chance of this although prices will be tighter than they would have been pre tournament.

It'll be about this id imagine

Ronnie 2/5
    Judd 7/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

not caught any of the Robertson Hawkins match but it seems to be a close battle. currently 8-8 with Hawkins in control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Bingham really putting it up to Ronnie here.

Looking for a 147.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Bingham really putting it up to Ronnie here.

Looking for a 147.

It's looking like Bingham has the upper hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

Looks like Ronnie is on his way out, he's not in the zone at all whereas in fairness to Bingham, he's got stuck right in there and has the bit between his teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'd be awful slow to right off ROS this early. SB just one frame ahead at the moment. Ronnie could come out and win two very quick frames and its still all to play for.

I can't believe BBC have just done that for a bloody cooking show :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

CFlat wrote: »

Madness alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I'd be awful slow to right off ROS this early. SB just one frame ahead at the moment. Ronnie could come out and win two very quick frames and its still all to play for.

Their coverage is beyond terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

It has to be the most ridiculous thing ever to not be able to continue watching the televised match on the red button.

How is that possibly suiting anyone, even those in the uk with PC access?

Bloody joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's one thing, but breaking live coverage for a rerun of Dad's Army took the proverbial

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's one thing, but breaking live coverage for a rerun of Dad's Army took the proverbial

Don't panic Mr. Myrddin, don't panic....

Don't panic Mr. Myrddin, don't panic....

I'm grand Cb :P

Okay, so we're back on the red button. I even have that on Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

It looks like Ronnie has thrown in the towel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great red to the right middle by Bingham, it looked like he made a balls of it, hard to see Ronnie coming back from this.

looks like Bingham has the bit between his teeth. wants it more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

tanko wrote: »
    It looks like Ronnie has thrown in the towel.

He hasn't really looked happy in any match. Has he parted company with the sports psychologist he was seeing?

Put it down to the Bingham Stare !!:eek:

He hasn't really looked happy in any match. Has he parted company with the sports psychologist he was seeing?

Nope, he's still with Steve Peters. It's been obvious that Ronnie's head just hasn't been there this year

• Advertisement

Another awful break from Ronnie

He doesn't look to be playing well enough to rattle off 4 frames.

Looks like Ronnie won't be going much further this year. Queue the inevitable retirement talk from him....groan.

Looks like Ronnie won't be going much further this year. Queue the inevitable retirement talk from him....groan.

He hasn't mentioned retiring for some time now

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Gutted. Was really looking forward to a certain semi.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

One positive to Ronnie going out, at least we won't have eejits roaring their heads off every time his opponent misses a shot, that was very irritating in last year's final.

Hope Bingham plays like that again, but Trump might have it all wrapped with a session to spare.

GeneralC wrote: »
    He hasn't mentioned retiring for some time now

I've a feeling it might rear its head again now, and no doubt will be dispelled again next year if so.

On that note, I actually think we've seen the passing of the guard re Ronnie. I think he has peaked, and will start on a downward slope now for the next while. I can't see him lifting the world championship again either. He was a league unto himself there for years, but probably around last year that started to change. I think Trump will take his place for the next few years, much the same as when Hendry peaked and Ronnie started to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

One positive to Ronnie going out, at least we won't have eejits roaring their heads off every time his opponent misses a shot, that was very irritating in last year's final.

Hope Bingham plays like that again, but Trump might have it all wrapped with a session to spare.

True and I'm glad for Stuart, but would have loved to see Trump and O'Sullivan play (when they're both on form). Ah well, it was not to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Meanwhile, Robertson looked like going 12-10 up on Hawkins. Got a bad break when he tried to break up the reds and Hawkins has levelled it at 11-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Robertson v Hawkins game is superb.

• Advertisement

Century for Hawkins, 11-11 now, brilliant match.

Eight centuries in twenty-two frames, that is mental, I know people bemoan the lack of 'characters' in this sport, but when the standard is this high I don't give a f*ck how colourful they are away from the table.

Aye, probably game of the tournament so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair play to Hawkins, he held his nerve really well in the end. I didn't think he had it in him. It was Robertson who cracked under the pressure eventually. Brilliant match.

What a game. Hawkins probably just about edged it overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Absolutely superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great match. Had everything. Had more century breaks than the entire tournament had in 1977, which was the first year at The Crucible.

I've a feeling it might rear its head again now, and no doubt will be dispelled again next year if so.

On that note, I actually think we've seen the passing of the guard re Ronnie. I think he has peaked, and will start on a downward slope now for the next while. I can't see him lifting the world championship again either. He was a league unto himself there for years, but probably around last year that started to change. I think Trump will take his place for the next few years, much the same as when Hendry peaked and Ronnie started to dominate.

I agree with that. Ronnie looks disinterested and he isn't practicing as much these days. He use to have his opponents beaten before they even had the match started, that's how much they feared him. He is indeed one of the greats, even not the greatest, but his days of being a force are on a decline. He will probably win another few tournaments, but not the World Championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Passenger wrote: »
    What a game. Hawkins probably just about edged it overall.

Yeah he did... 13-12! :p

i know it's a bit early to say this with the semis and final to come, but apart from the Hawkins/Robbo match, does anyone think this years WC is mediocre? If so, do you think that's due to the amount of snooker being played? I feel the WC has lost its prestige slightly. The players also look very tired and you can tell they're playing too much, imo. I even find myself taking it for granted, like I am not as excited watching it as previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Is it just me, or does Bingham look like Avram Grant's lovechild...

Is it just me, or does Bingham look like Avram Grant's lovechild...

It's just you! :pac:

Some match, go on the Hawk.

Love to see him win it.

Won't fear anyone after beating Robertson in that kind of form.

semi2015.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mdwexford wrote: »
    Some match, go on the Hawk.

Love to see him win it.

Won't fear anyone after beating Robertson in that kind of form.

Match of the tournament for sure. No offence to Murphy but would love to see a first timer when it this year, whoever that might be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yeah he did... 13-12! :p

Boom, and indeed boom!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As well as all the final 4 are playing, its hard to look past Murphy now. Experience of having done it all before could be all important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hoping for Trump v Murphy final now. I'm not sure the prospect of Hawkins v Bingham would set too many pulses racing, especially among casual fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Delighted for Bingham and Hawkins. Great performances last night. Snooker really is very open nowadays, nobody is guaranteed of winning not like the Davis & Hendry days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement