Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

linguist wrote: »

There are hundreds if not thousands of non-permanent teachers needlessly worrying at the moment because there is nobody on the panel looking to redeploy to their area with their subject combination. .

Looking to redeploy? There may be some people who want to redeploy, but for the vast majority it is a dread that is hanging over them every year, no matter how long they have been teaching.

I teach in FE. I could be redeployed to second level, where I haven't taught for twenty three years. It is something I worry about all the time, as I love teaching in FE and would find second level impossible. Apart from the fact that I don't want to have to drive eighty kilometres at day at my own expense to do my job when I deliberately bought a home near my work so I could balance my work and my home life.

gaiscioch wrote: »

In two important respects (potential hostility in the new school and no choice in your school once you've put your 50km radius down), I'd prefer to get voluntary redundancy (tax free once every ten years) than to be redeployed. Is that an option?

It's not an option for many people, financially. So they are forced into extra travel costs, extra time costs, having to adapt to a new environment and colleagues, some of whom resent you, and in some cases, to work in a totally different sector.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I know teachers in the ETB system that have been redeployed into further education colleges.
    And the other direction, from FE to second level. Very unfair, as it's a totally different working environment. A different job, basically.

Jamfa wrote: »
    If your employer is an ETB then it's probably only possible to be redeployed into an ETB which offers further ed. I don't think any other type of 3rd level would qualify.
    Further Ed isn't third level

Don't know why you are ranting at the OP at this stage. S/he has'nt posted in almost a year and probably gotten on with life.:rolleyes:
    I didn't notice that it was an old post! I just saw red at his/her arrogance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

katydid wrote: »
    Further Ed isn't third level

Thanks I know that and it was part of a reply to a previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

katydid wrote: »
    I didn't notice that it was an old post! I just saw red at his/her arrogance!

Ok Cool the jets KD, you have to appreciate the stress some teachers are under fighting for 'hours' and wondering where the next paycheck is coming from. Last thing teachers need is to be pitted against each other. Just address the post rather than the poster.

member warned

Do not respond to this post

Jamfa wrote: »
    Thanks I know that and it was part of a reply to a previous post.

It's the phrase "any other kind of 3rd level" I was responding to. Maybe it's only me, but to me that suggests that FE is a kind of 3rd level... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Hi there,

I'm teaching maths in the UK for the last 2 years. I'm taking the brave step of trying to find work at home. I'm from the north east, is there anyone out there who could share their experiences of recruitment this year.
    I have applied for a few jobs. Received acknowledgement from a few schools that they at least got my application.

Thanks
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I did this last year and it was pretty terrifying turning down a job in UK before I had anything in Ireland. I ended up getting a Maternity Leave position here. It wasn't ideal but it got me back into the system and my school in England were very good about giving me time off. Schools were not put off by the fact I was applying while working in England.

The jobs market is still very competitive and new rules for CID mean all RPT contracts have to be re-advertised after first year. So you could be applying for a job that someone else was doing last year, and they will be applying for it too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Aunt Aggie,

I have told my school in the UK that I'm leaving in the summer. They are quite sad to see me go but they understand my situation. I love my job but my life realistically is in Ireland. I haven't heard of the new rules for CID thats quite scary. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes but I love teaching and I really want a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lulufinn90 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm teaching maths in the UK for the last 2 years. I'm taking the brave step of trying to find work at home. I'm from the north east, is there anyone out there who could share their experiences of recruitment this year.
    I have applied for a few jobs. Received acknowledgement from a few schools that they at least got my application.

Thanks
    L

GRETB advertised for about 20 different subjects over the last two weeks, the closing date was Monday. They will be forming panels for each subject and then filling the vacancies from them. The CEO was in my school this evening and said that they will be filling 60 positions (two are new schools) over the summer, but that they had over 1000 applications in the past fortnight at there was a queue outside the ETB offices on Monday evening before the deadline to hand in applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

lulufinn90 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks
    L

Like rainbowtrout our etb has advertised and shortlisted. Depending on subjects there were varying levels of interest from what I've heard.

I would say that anywhere at home is better than the UK. get back to here first and then try to work your way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

GRETB advertised for about 20 different subjects over the last two weeks, the closing date was Monday. They will be forming panels for each subject and then filling the vacancies from them. The CEO was in my school this evening and said that they will be filling 60 positions (two are new schools) over the summer, but that they had over 1000 applications in the past fortnight at there was a queue outside the ETB offices on Monday evening before the deadline to hand in applications.

I applied for this - a bit strange applying for a job that 'may' occur during the academic year. And to make matters worse - 4 copies of everything. May I ask where the new schools are? I know there will be positions in the schools that opened last year but I didn't hear of any new schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I applied for this - a bit strange applying for a job that 'may' occur during the academic year. And to make matters worse - 4 copies of everything. May I ask where the new schools are? I know there will be positions in the schools that opened last year but I didn't hear of any new schools.

I should have been clearer, they are already open but only have first years, so a new year will be added every year. Claregalway and Merlin College, Galway.

It said on the ad that a panel would be form and interview valid until Nov 1st. I suppose it covers maternity leaves and also if schools get any extra concessions at the start of the school year and need to hire.

Interesting as the deadline had previously been the last Wednesday. Why extend it if they now think they got too many applications?

I should have been clearer, they are already open but only have first years, so a new year will be added every year. Claregalway and Merlin College, Galway.

It said on the ad that a panel would be form and interview valid until Nov 1st. I suppose it covers maternity leaves and also if schools get any extra concessions at the start of the school year and need to hire.

I was thinking it was those two especially with the expected numbers for Claregalway.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Interesting as the deadline had previously been the last Wednesday. Why extend it if they now think they got too many applications?

Well I think they were on the new GRETB website for a few days/weeks before people would see them. They only put the ads on edposts about three/four days before closing date and they only put notice on county Galway website to view vacancies on GRETB website so deadline had to be extended.

Well I think they were on the new GRETB website for a few days/weeks before people would see them. They only put the ads on edposts about three/four days before closing date and they only put notice on county Galway website to view vacancies on GRETB website so deadline had to be extended.

The advertisement was on edposts more than a week in advance of the original deadline. The extension is understandable though if the vacancies weren't up on both websites.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    The advertisement was on edposts more than a week in advance of the original deadline. The extension is understandable though if the vacancies weren't up on both websites.

The ads were def on gretb website a week or so before edposts because I rang them to enquire.

• Advertisement

Got a job in Ireland, delighted only had to do one interview. One year substitute in a very good school. I really didn't think I would get this lucky. All I can say is make sure you do your research and prepare to give the interview of your life. Coming home and cant wait.

Advertisement