Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May the country kindly bend over catch their ankles and receive what is coming...

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-2011-double-the-pain-2384774.html
    Budget 2011: Double the pain
    By Aine Kerr, Fionnan Sheahan and Maeve Dineen
    Tuesday October 19 2010
    THE hole in the Government's finances is heading for €15bn -- double the previous worst estimate -- and that means families face four years of savage spending cuts and tax hikes.
    They will face four draconian Budgets because the economy is failing to recover in line with expectations.
    The revelation emerged as opposition finance spokespersons were briefed yesterday on the challenges facing the Exchequer over the next four years.
    Savage cutbacks of at least €10bn are definitely on the cards up to 2014.
    But Finance Minister Brian Lenihan's officials disclosed the worst-case scenario was an adjustment of €15bn as a result of lower predictions on the rate of growth in the economy.
    The Government is now under intense pressure to come clean with the public on the full scale of the Exchequer crisis. The deficit reduction will not be spread evenly over the four years -- and that means the worst hit will come in December.
    Rather than a €3bn package of cuts and taxes, the adjustment will certainly be as high as €4.5bn and could break the €6bn mark.
    Based on the worst-case scenario of a €15bn hole in the finances, if the Government wants to get the deficit below 10pc next year, it would have to make an adjustment of anything up to €7bn.
    The Department of Finance's projections indicate economic growth may be as little as half the previous estimate, with the cost of servicing the national debt also rising.
    The knock-on effect will be higher spending on social welfare and greater dependency on public services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think I'm ready, I just hope they lube up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

i hope they dont ask me to squeal like a pig...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the funny thing is that those ***** in the government still claimed expenses while they were on hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

The tight-asses will feel the pain most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Maybe if we stopped bending over they'd stop ****ing us in the ass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

short, sharp and getting the big load out of the way first before going at you again...getting rode by the goverment, there's never much romance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nice thread title just above the catholic one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What about if everybody just started charging less for everything? As in, from 1st January everything costs 10% of what it did previously. I can't see any flaws in this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Ouch, straight in, no lube ;) its a good thing I'm beginning to acquire a taste for Koka noodles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

What about if everybody just started charging less for everything? As in, from 1st January everything costs 10% of what it did previously. I can't see any flaws in this plan.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with the "I can't see any flaws with this plan".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Pookah wrote: »
    The tight-asses will feel the pain most.

Indeed. Their spincters will be decimated. Still they may be surpised and enjoy their first experience of rough anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Have the Department of Finance EVER got their estimates right? They never seem to have the correct figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

gazzer wrote: »
    Have the Department of Finance EVER got their estimates right? They never seem to have the correct figures.

I heard from my mother's brother's uncle's sister's fiance's nephew's monkey's aunt who knows the inside tracks says we owe €1685 quadrillion............and that we're changing from the Euro to potatoes as currency!

gazzer wrote: »

they're the dept of FINANCE....that term in itself practically defines lies and dodgy accounting by now. best changed to the department of whatever the ecb want imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Up the bum, no harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Up the bum, no harm done

Bar the occasional severe anal prolapse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

KungPao wrote: »
    I think I'm ready, I just hope they lube up.

Lube? You would be lucky if these pri*ks in government spit on it nevermind lube up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Lube? You would be lucky if these pri*ks in government spit on it nevermind lube up

What's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/Runs with prevalent AH zeitgeist and runs hands together thinking of further corrections in the property market and an abundace of cheaper houses as families get thrown out on the street.

stovelid wrote: »
    /Runs with prevalent AH zeitgeist and runs hands together thinking of further corrections in the property market and an abundace of cheaper houses as families get thrown out on the street.

further AH responses to come:

we're all f'uckin screwed

em

i can think of any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I have applied the vasoline to the rim and is ready to take the entire load in the anus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

If the current worst case scenario is currently placed at 14-15 Billion, then what will the "estimate" be next year? 30 Billion? Maybe 40?

Let's be realistic. If 14 Billion (say, 5 Billion this year?) is taken from low to middle income families, we will be in a depression well before 2014.

Meanwhile, we can afford up to 34 Billion for the super-rich Anglo bondholders, and a further 11 Billion in tax writeoffs for the super rich. (and I'm not talking about people who earn up to 150,000 a year, here!)

Seriously, you couldn't make this up in your wildest nightmares!!

Anyone who says FF/FG are centre right parties is seriously deluded. Their policies are extreme right. Savage the sheep to keep the lovely wolves in their cosy cartels.:mad: And we should be grateful to those wolves for stealing our futures.:mad::mad:

Well, I'm not grateful! I'm seriously ticked off!
    Would all those groups who support justice, and equality in Ireland please get together, and form a political party.
    There is room for a party who support the low to middle income families, right up to Small/Medium Enterprise owners. Responsible policies are needed like never before - we just don't have a political party who can/will implement them.
    We do, however, have plenty of good people working in groups that seek social justice. It's time for them to get into politics!!

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Got a job? If so, your salary is a cost to your employer. Fancy getting paid 10% of your current salary? If you take one zero off of all costs, then nothing changes, just the numbers.

If there was a time for "protests", it was five or so years ago, when people lost their financial sense and bought in to the property bubble. If there was ever going to be an argument that "the people" as a group were wiser than the government or bankers, that was the time to make it, by not buying in to the hype. That was how I "protested" - by staying away from it all.

After how "the people" acted in the last decade, please don't try and tell me "people power" is the answer today. You, "the people", were stupid then, and I have no reason to believe you're any wiser now. The politicians are a mere reflection of the will of the people: you broke Ireland, and now you own it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I wish I could tell you that Paddy Irishman fought the good fight, and the FF sisters let him be.
    I wish I could tell you that, but Ireland is no fairy-tale world. He never said who did it...but we all knew.
    Things went on like that for a while. Irish life consists of routine, and then more routine.

Every so often, Paddy Irishman would show up with fresh bruises. The FF sisters kept at him. Sometimes he was able to fight them off... sometimes not.
    He always fought, that's what I remember.
    He fought because he knew if he didn't fight, it would make it that much easier not to fight the next time.
    Half the time it landed him in the infirmary... the other half, it landed him in solitary. Warden Harneys "grain & drain" vacation. Bread, water, and all the privacy you could want.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

It would seem that the retailers are the only ones who are doing anything to help out with the way things are, finally they're being a bit more realistic in the pricing. Now why couldn't they do this during the tiger years. Perhaps then we'd all have a bit more moolah in the bank so that we could spend our way out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Meh. Saw this coming. We've been a low tax economy for so long that it had to be adjusted upward so we could have a proper un-inflated economy like the rest of the normal EU countries.

I work in public transport and we've been told to expect about 10% of a cut in wages/hours around budget time along with whatever the Dept of Finance has planned. Annoying, but i'll be ok because i had it pretty good for so long and i was always 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' so i have a decent amount of savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I wouldnt believe any of those estimates or what figures they come up with. Last years budget we were told at the time would be the end of the pain. Then we had estimate after estimate of the cost of the banks bailout, all wrong.
    I dont trust any of the self serving filth in government or finance departments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I wouldnt believe any of those estimates or what figures they come up with. Last years budget we were told at the time would be the end of the pain. Then we had estimate after estimate of the cost of the banks bailout, all wrong.

+1. We were told it was going to be the cheapest Bank Bailout in History.
    I've lost count of the number of times we've "turned the corner".

Every single "estimate" produced has been seriously flawed.

At this point in time, two years after the crash, the only thing "Joe Public" knows for sure is that the super-rich are going to be protected - at all costs!
    Neither we, nor our children, matter one jot to the people we elected to serve us. (I did not vote for FF, by the way.)
    All that matters is tugging the forelock to bondholders, and our EU overlords.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that I am being treated like a serf - and I don't like it one little bit!:mad:

We used to live in a society where social justice and equality were aspired to, alas, no longer.:(

I've always believed Capitalism was good for the economy. I still believe that SME's (Small/Medium Enterprise) will be the foundation on which Ireland will be re-built - but not if they are taxed into the ground, and denied working capital by the very banks they are being heavily taxed to bail out.
    Neither can SME's survive if Joe Public has no disposable income, which is precisely the route our Government seems determined to take.

We need a party that puts people first - people being the Irish citizens - not the Golden Circle.

If it was possible to create such a party, would you support it?
    I would!

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭twinytwo

And we were told voting yes to lisbon was good for us
    contraception was evil
    Bertie wasnt crooked
    and bono was god........

see how these things go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Noreen1 wrote: »

We need a party that puts people first - people being the Irish citizens - not the Golden Circle.

If it was possible to create such a party, would you support it?
    I would!

Noreen

Not that we shouldn't try, but as soon as people get into power they start doing tiny favours for people in the locality and larger favours eventually, till you get a cesspit of hateful evil like Fianna Fail. And people still vote for them.

We need to redraw the electoral map so doing a favour for one family doesn't really help your reelection. Not even in the largely inbred areas.

That and get past the GPO idea of political allegiance.

Advertisement