Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graveyards.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oink wrote: »
    When I was a kid they removed bones from the grave, to make space for my grandmother. They put them respectfully in a garden bin type of container. So much for eternal rest.

I only realised recently that it must have been my grandad. Dont know what my mam thought of that.

I would go to my granny's grave but I don't know what bin she's in now.

Wish I hadn't seen that.

Man I don't read AH to to hear about sh!t like that ffs!!!

That's quite normal In old graveyards. The artefacts are re-buried afterwards, treated with the utmost respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I like going to graveyards,Pere lachaise in Paris,Skogskyrkagård in Stockholm and The one in Boston common are my favourites.Hippies and ghouls had taken away the bust of Jim morrison all that remained was a greek inscription and lots of Candles,Wilde had too many drawings of erect penis' and kisses to be enjoyed.

I have worked on graveyards in Sweden and perhaps it would be nice to take a few inspirations from how it's done there,they all tend to have areas of reflection and meditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No I never go. I feel it's pointless. When/if I am responsible for upkeep of a grave I will go to ensure it is kept nice to respect familiy members' wishes though.

I'd like to be cremated and scattered so as nobody needs to worry about any of that but I'm not sure on the legalities of ash scattering here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kneemos wrote: »
    Are you a graveyard visitor?
    Not casting dispersion on it just curious as to the normal protocol.
    Is it visit for a while and gradually forget about it?Is there a benefit to be gained?or is it just expected?
    I've visited graves but am never really sure as to what I'm doing there. I often see people attending graves but again what is it you're meant to do?

A Daily Visitor to my Late Loving Dads grave. Dad passed away on 20th Dec 2013 and all but 3-days since Dad passed away, I have visited his graveside.

~ some days I'm in tears before I reach Dads grave
    ~ some days I only stay to ensure all okay with flowers and arrangements on Dads grave
    ~ some days I go and sit/kneel and the time goes so fast as my mind just wanders

I've kept a candle lighting everynight, started out as an artificial candle with batteries but more recently I light a new candle every second day. Truly like the idea of some light on Dads grave, so as not always in darkness! Dad would always light a room with laughter and conversations so keeping some light going now seems right to me :o

Regularly visit other graveyards also out of habit tbh.

You said you not sure what you're doing there:
    ~ pondering about the times past perhaps?
    ~ pondering about your current life and what the person you're visiting would say to you?
    ~ pondering about everything that person has done for you in the past and everything they endured throughout their life?

Everyone would be different. I visit as I miss my Late Loving Dad terribly and to keep a candle lit.

Just my thoughts,
    I tend to think alot!
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

kerry4sam wrote: »
    A Daily Visitor to my Late Loving Dads grave. Dad passed away on 20th Dec 2013 and all but 3-days since Dad passed away, I have visited his graveside.

~ some days I'm in tears before I reach Dads grave
    ~ some days I only stay to ensure all okay with flowers and arrangements on Dads grave
    ~ some days I go and sit/kneel and the time goes so fast as my mind just wanders

I've kept a candle lighting everynight, started out as an artificial candle with batteries but more recently I light a new candle every second day. Truly like the idea of some light on Dads grave, so as not always in darkness! Dad would always light a room with laughter and conversations so keeping some light going now seems right to me :o

Regularly visit other graveyards also out of habit tbh.

You said you not sure what you're doing there:
    ~ pondering about the times past perhaps?
    ~ pondering about your current life and what the person you're visiting would say to you?
    ~ pondering about everything that person has done for you in the past and everything they endured throughout their life?

Everyone would be different. I visit as I miss my Late Loving Dad terribly and to keep a candle lit.

Just my thoughts,
    I tend to think alot!
    kerry4sam

Lovely sentiments there. I hope you get comfort, and it seems you do. Condolences on the loss of your Dad, I know what it's like believe me.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Only from time to time and usually around any anniversaries or at christmas to bring in fresh flowers or if the weather had been unusually wet or dry and I knew the flowers would need replacing. All our family graves are a distance away so might take a notion to drop in if I was around there an extra time in the summer.

Advertisement