Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost 500 cases of female genital mutilation identified in just one month in England

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I dont agree with it but if she was found to be sexually active or have a child the family would have to support her. So its more case of god forbid she becomes a burden on the family. You have to see this from their cultural perspective no matter how much you dont like it.

If a woman was to get pregnant outside of marriage then in all likelihood she would be disowned by a family so I really don't get where you are coming from. Disownment is fairly common in many cultures that carry out this. So no matter how I look at fgm, it cannot be rationalised.

She gets disowned by the family for incontinence after childbirth as a result of fgm too! There's no good reasoning for it, it's all "this is to get them a husband" (per an article by a fellow in the irish times who said this of his own daughters) and "because we've always done it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

shalalala wrote: »
    If a woman was to get pregnant outside of marriage then in all likelihood she would be disowned by a family so I really don't get where you are coming from. Disownment is fairly common in many cultures that carry out this. So no matter how I look at fgm, it cannot be rationalised.

It would still reflect on the family though. I dont agree with it and you would need to get an answer from someone that preforms it for real insight into motives but criticism from western cultures seems steeped in its own mindset.

As I said earlier its easier to argue across cultures on grounds of ethics as they are universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    in science there is a study for everything, and much depends on how, by whom and for what purpose a study is done...there are studies that link the spread of aids to fgm...like these guys or that article...and the who (probably the most authoritative source here) would negate any positive effects of fgm as well...
    That's kind of my point. We shouldn't be chopping bits off kids pretty much full stop. Todays words of wisdom turns out to be tomorrows shame.

Edit: Specifically in the case of HIV transmission, for both mgm and fgm afair it's linked to the reduction of bodily fluid generated by the respective organ. Guess what cheap, non-surgical method is available to reduce the exchange of bodily fluids during intercourse? Of course, condoms. HIV reduction by chopping the bits off boys or girls (one of which the WHO heartily endorses) sort of ignores the non-surgical options.

Advertisement