Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right to Die debate: Belgian murderer granted euthanasia in prison

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What difference does it make to anyone how much he suffers? How does it affect your life or the lives of his victims' families?

do you have family members who were raped and murdered? Im sure the criminals treatment would make a big difference to a lot of people actually. If it were my daughter/mother/sister who had suffered at his hands I would want him to rot in jail for the rest of his days, death is much too easy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Jesus, yet another edge case involving profound moral choices to be discussed. This one is a tough one to call. Far-right reactionary, or limp-wristed meh masquerading as liberalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There's an awful lot of high-falutin talk going on here about this bag of scum.

The only reason he's in the news is because he has nothing better to do all day than pull the belly off himself (probably whilst fantasizing about his victims) and the perverse lunatics running the penitentiaries there have nothing better to do than to cement their liberalistic wankeries in their own navel-gazing eyes by bending over backwards to facilitate his whims.

If this guy were put to hard-labour 20 hours a day, breaking rocks or digging holes or whatever, I'm sure he'd have a lot less time to think about his "psychological pain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'm OK with it as long as he's raped to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

I'm OK with it as long as he's raped to death.
    Congratulations! You won the random draw, and get to, "Bang a Belgian to DEATH"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It seems to me that some people may be combining two separate issues:

First, that this man is a prisoner, serving a sentence for particularly serious crimes.

Secondly, that this man has been found to have a right to die, in a country which permits euthanasia.

Van den Bleeken's punishment is imprisonment. Loss of liberty is the extent of it, really. The punishment isn't working the salt mines, and it isn't a diet of stale bread and water, and it isn't denial of euthanasia.

As the man is imprisoned in a country which already permits euthanasia, I don't see why he should be denied euthanasia simply because he is a prisoner. Would people say the same thing if he was in a Belgian prison for not paying a parking fine?

From his perspective, he would end his own suffering.

From society's perspective, he'd never leave prison alive, and the taxpayers would be saved the cost of his care and upkeep.

Might be a bit macabre to say it, but it seems like it would be a win-win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

what a cowardice thing to do,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭con___manx1

OscarXC7 wrote: »
    He is a murderer. He should be made serve the full sentence for the crimes he committed. He does not deserve to be allowed to die just because he is suffering. He clearly did not care about the suffering of his victim(s) while he raped and murdered them.

Totally agree the more psychological anguish that murderer has the better . He should be left to rot in his sell for eternity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

krudler wrote: »
    I'm going to play a drinking game today, a shot for every time "liberal" "bleeding heart" or the double points accumulator "pc brigade" are used on this thread, I expect to be dead by page 5, send my widow a ham.
    catallus wrote: »
    The only reason he's in the news is because he has nothing better to do all day than pull the belly off himself (probably whilst fantasizing about his victims) and the perverse lunatics running the penitentiaries there have nothing better to do than to cement their liberalistic wankeries in their own navel-gazing eyes by bending over backwards to facilitate his whims.

Drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The man is clearly mentally unstable, he himself declares he has uncontrollable urges to cause harm which gives him great mental anguish. Doctors agree. It actually strengthens his case when it should probably weaken it.Sound in mind and all that.

Is it a condition that can be controlled long term? I don't know, but it is probably worth a shot.

It would be interesting to know if he is an organ donor, maybe his death will save others. Redemption may be forth coming after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He should be allowed to die after he has served his sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Totally agree the more psychological anguish that murderer has the better . He should be left to rot in his sell for eternity
    How does this benefit society?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

RobertKK wrote: »
    He did the crimes and now wants to end the punishment?

He should be given mental healthcare treatment, not an early release from his sentence for murder and rape.

Great idea. Cost the taxpayer another fortune instead of spending the money on someone who actually needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Billy86 wrote: »
    How does this benefit society?

I never mentioned anything about it benefiting society. if I was one of his murder victims relatives I would be very annoyed they are even considering this. he didnt care about the people he killed so why should anyone care about him or give him a mercy killing. did he give his victims mercy? i doubt it.

Advertisement