Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you're out shopping..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I work in a shop and if everyone put everything back perfectly I wouldn't have a job to do! I was in the early shift this morning and was so bored because the shop was still tidy from the night before. There are a few things though that get to me though, like when people don't even try to put stuff back on the hanger coming out of the fitting room and when someone asks me to check a size in the stock room ("I checked the floor there's none out" etc) and when I come back they're all Oh,ha I found it! The whole shop is size ordered, it should be in it's place if we have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Hahaha, you can't beat the ones that send you to the stockroom then decide to disappear the second you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ye one of my duties was to tidy up, but ffs when I offered to help at least accept!:rolleyes:

Customers aren't obliged to accept help when offered. I go into shops to browse and where I usually expect the sales assistant to ask if I need help I would decline unless I am looking for something specific. If I need help, I prefer to ask and I usually expect the sales assistant(s) to be there ready to be asked and not be nattering away ignoring everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

Hi all
    First post on Ladies Lounge (as far as I can remember!)
    I used to work part time in a toyshop for a few years, and if anyone else has worked in one before, I feel your pain! Parents used our place like a creche (sometimes leaving their kids in our shop while going to the place next door :eek:) which of course meant that the place was destroyed within a few minutes of even opening (especially Sundays).

I have noticed that women tend not to put things back in the right place. I'll never forget one incident where I saw a woman browsing and noticed she started taking the packaging off a toy to look at it. It was only a plastic bag type thing which you could just slip on and off. Anyway, I was in the middle of helping another customer so I left her to it and when I came back to the aisle 5 minutes later, the toy had been left lying on the floor (and not in the plastic). I started to tidy the aisle and I came across the packaging, rolled up into a ball and shoved into the shelf where the toy had originally been sitting! So not only did she not put the toy in the packaging again but she didn't even put it on the shelf because she just shoved the plastic back in there!! There were a lot more incidents than this but things like this annoyed me.

A lot of boxes were ripped beyond repar, toys from different aisles lying scattered across the floor, half eaten bits of food and coffee cups lying on shelves, crisps trampled into the floor and drinks spilled. Some people even let their kids urinate on the floor :eek: without even alerting a member of staff! Not only dangerous but bad hygeine and a real joy for the poor soul who has to clean it up! It takes each aisle at least an hour to tidy. Really shocking.

Rant over for now :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

half eaten bits of food and coffee cups lying on shelves, crisps trampled into the floor and drinks spilled.
    I understand your rant indeed! Sometimes when I go to market I see open packages and eaten goods hidden on the shelves. It's petty theft, and I tend to get upset about it, with us honest customers ending up paying for it, because the cost is passed on to us in the price of the goods.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I worked in the first Zara store here so I know how heartbreaking a messy shop is, all staff were made stay behond till the whole shop floor was tidied, in the first few weeks we were stuck in there till 12 after closing at 9.
    So I always return stuff to the place I got it and pick up anything that might fall.
    In general women are disgusting in shops, their behavious is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I don't do this and I make people I with clean up their mess. I just don't get why people do this. Though if I'm in a place and the staff are just rude, I wouldn't clean up my mess. It's simple kindness on both parties and if they treat me badly, I won't throw them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Hi all
    I used to work part time in a toyshop for a few years, and if anyone else has worked in one before, I feel your pain! Parents used our place like a creche (sometimes leaving their kids in our shop while going to the place next door :eek:) which of course meant that the place was destroyed within a few minutes of even opening (especially Sundays).

I have noticed that women tend not to put things back in the right place. I'll never forget one incident where I saw a woman browsing and noticed she started taking the packaging off a toy to look at it. It was only a plastic bag type thing which you could just slip on and off. Anyway, I was in the middle of helping another customer so I left her to it and when I came back to the aisle 5 minutes later, the toy had been left lying on the floor (and not in the plastic). I started to tidy the aisle and I came across the packaging, rolled up into a ball and shoved into the shelf where the toy had originally been sitting! So not only did she not put the toy in the packaging again but she didn't even put it on the shelf because she just shoved the plastic back in there!! There were a lot more incidents than this but things like this annoyed me.

A lot of boxes were ripped beyond repar, toys from different aisles lying scattered across the floor, half eaten bits of food and coffee cups lying on shelves, crisps trampled into the floor and drinks spilled. Some people even let their kids urinate on the floor :eek: without even alerting a member of staff! Not only dangerous but bad hygeine and a real joy for the poor soul who has to clean it up! It takes each aisle at least an hour to tidy. Really shocking.

Once in the clothes shop I worked in, a female customer went into the changing room to try some stuff on. She left her little boy playing in the waiting area of the changing rooms but he started going into the empty stalls and messing about. Anyway, few mins later she comes up to the till and sheepishly says that her kid has had an accident in one of the stalls. Uh-oh... turns out he'd p1ssed all over one of the changing rooms walls, mirrors and floor. She didn't even offer to help clean it up.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd always put stuff back, when I used to work in a clothes shop it used to annoy me so much when people would just leave stuff lying around on the floor, so not only do you have to pick it up and fold it again (I hate folding!), a lot of the time you'd find the garments would be damaged from being stood on etc so they'd have to be marked down, and some we couldn't sell at all.

We caught one woman deliberately running over a cream silk shirt with her buggy and then coming up to the till and asking for money off cos it was shop-soiled. The manager had seen the whole thing on CCTV, and came out and told the woman she'd be paying the full price for the shirt whether or not she decided to take it home with her :p

TBH, I can't even go into a Pennys or TK Maxx, cos the stock is always thrown around the place. Brings back horrible horrible memories :o

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Once in the clothes shop I worked in, a female customer went into the changing room to try some stuff on. She left her little boy playing in the waiting area of the changing rooms but he started going into the empty stalls and messing about. Anyway, few mins later she comes up to the till and sheepishly says that her kid has had an accident in one of the stalls. Uh-oh... turns out he'd p1ssed all over one of the changing rooms walls, mirrors and floor. She didn't even offer to help clean it up.

I used to work in a DIY chain for a while, and you'd be amazed how often parents would come up to us to tell us that their little darling had just left a present in one of the display toilets :mad: It got to the point that we used to put childlocks on the toilet seats because it was happening so often and we just said to the managers that we weren't cleaning it up anymore! The funny thing is out of all the times it happened, men would always offer to clean it up, but women never would!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

It might be because cleaning that sort of a thing is more common with women than men at home. If you're less familair with something it probably seems more alien to you.

I can't stand tk maxx either, when i walk into a store and see that sort of mess and so much stuff packed onto one unit it just gives me a massive headache. They're definitely one store who should be employing people just for cleaning up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I can't stand messy shops. It wrecks my head when stuff is just fecked around the place. That's why I can't go near the Christmas sales and stuff, they just drive me insane.

Women can be animals at times.

I always feel bad for unfolding tops that are prettily folded cos i just can't fold them that way again!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

comes into thread to give advice.

runs back to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Cremo wrote: »

runs back to safety.

My sister taught me that a few weeks ago. I keep forgetting how to do it properly though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Cremo wrote: »

runs back to safety.

What the fudge!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hi all

Ahhh the joys of a toystore employee :) I worked as cashier, in a toystore and from my position you could see every aisles and people just letting there wains run wild, what got me laughing is the ones who brought there wains with them when doing there christmas shopping and trying to buy things as they let the wains play with other toys in store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

what got me laughing is the ones who brought there wains with them when doing there christmas shopping and trying to buy things as they let the wains play with other toys in store

Or how about when they tell you to be discreet about scanning the toys through and putting them in bags so the kids don't notice!! I think they might notice the huge Santa size bags! Idiots. Don't take your kids with you if you're Christmas shopping for them!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Or how about when they tell you to be discreet about scanning the toys through and putting them in bags so the kids don't notice!! I think they might notice the huge Santa size bags! Idiots. Don't take your kids with you if you're Christmas shopping for them!! :p

Yep that has happened, or i have heard them say dont worry he is putting it through the till so Santa knows to bring it for you on Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

I've worked in shops before so I always make sure to put things back where I found them - I really feel for the people who work in Penneys, that place is a nightmare at the w/ends and the same goes with TK Maxx.

piscean wrote: »
    I've worked in shops before so I always make sure to put things back where I found them - I really feel for the people who work in Penneys, that place is a nightmare at the w/ends and the same goes with TK Maxx.

But it is a nightmare because they don't have to merchandise very well.
    Everything is just thrown together.
    It is Dunnes stores staff who deserve the pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I worked in dunnes during college, its not as bad as you'd think. Folding a few jumpers isn't too bad its the rudeness of some people thats really hard to put up with

Advertisement