Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomb of christ

Options
  • 21-03-2008 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Has anyone seen the documentary yet?
    http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html
    Apparently, there is a family tree mapped out as well as his wife and what looks like childrens tombs there.
    I missed it when it was on but I was hoping someone had seen it, I have always believed in jesus, but I have no belief in mysticism, but I have always idolized the idea of a selfless teacher of peace, and would like to know what peoples opinions on it were like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The tomb of Christ is in the Church of the Holy Selpuchre in Jerusalem. These guys are trying to pull something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tomb_of_christ_sepulchre.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dunno about that Jackass, having watched the documentary previously I tend to believe they found it.

either way it is a very interesting program

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

All the names found on the ossaries were extremely common in Jerusalem at the time, I reckon they just hit upon a lucky find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Ah, my favorite subject.

There is a second Tomb of Christ.
    There exists a considerable volume of documentation referring to the missing years of Jesus and the years after the crucifixion. The documentation is in the form of Buddhist scrolls found in a monastery in Ladakh and are quite detailed. They document 17 years of Jesus' life travailing throughout Nepal, Ladakh and Tibet as a student and teacher, and his return in later years. There is also a reference in the often discredited Gospel of Thomas in which Jesus is reputed to have said it was not he who died on the cross. Could there have been two people with the same name?

In local Kashmir folklore Jesus is known as St Issa. For me, since I am a Buddhist, these documents are just as valid as any of the Christian writings. Could it also no accident that much of the teachings accorded to Jesus are directly paralleled in Buddhist teachings which pre-date his time on earth? Buddhism is open on the question of his existence. I have no doubt that a person called Jesus did exist. I believe from reading these Buddhist scrolls and other christian documents that he was a very wise teacher and that there is a great deal of good in what is accorded to his teachings, but I don't think there will ever be definitive proof acceptable by all paths that he is God. It will always be a personal decision, and I for one respected the choices of others. When it comes to the various organizations established in his name, I have very fixed opinions, but that is not something I wish to debate here. Each to there own, just don't try to push the rules of these organizations down my throat, and don't try to dictate how I live my life, I am happy with mine. St Issa is reportedly buried in Kashmir in a place called Rozabel http://www.tombofjesus.com/2007/index.html.

I would tend to agree with Depeche Mode's post. Its all too neatly wrapped up for me in that documentary. And these names were very common at that time. One interesting point here to consider is that in the entire history of archeology, there is only one recorded discovery of a person that had been crucified, and that was through the heel of the foot straddling the upright. I believe that the normal practice was to refuse to allow the body to be taken away and buried. We also have a similar controversy with the bones of Saint Peter that are supposed to be not buried in Rome, but are here http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm. Apparently Peter never visited rome once in his life.
    It always comes down to a personal belief. What ever path gets you there.

*with your new powers you can cross swords with me PDN. I am your servent in this Forum:)*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Anyone ever ask themselves why Jesus' tomb was lost to history in the first place? Common sense will tell you why. You can still find much older tombs in that land today. Abraham's, Sarah's, David's and many others. Why was Jesus' much newer tomb lost? Why are two sites debated as being the actually site for Jesus' tomb? Charles Gordon's Calvary and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre? Because the first message of the New Testament Church was a resurrected living Christ, nobody really cared about the tomb. It wasn't until later centuries when the church councils debated over the icons and the importance of specific material objects becoming a foci of worship that they begin to get interested in the tomb and by that time it was lost to history and they’ve been fighting ever since over where it is? More evidence that the tomb was actually empty when they started to preach that He rose. If His body was still in the tomb then the powers that be would have produced the body in moment in order to shut up the preachers of this new resurrection from the dead doctrine. The tomb was empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Soul Winner: I'm far far more likely to take the Church of the Holy Sepulchre one more seriously due to actual evidence that Christians met at the site for centuries after the Ascension of Christ to remember His Passion and Crucifixion there. Notable Christian authors such as Eusebius told us even when the Roman temple to Venus was constructed on the site Christians still came there to remember Christ. I have very little doubt about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jakkass wrote: »
    ...due to actual evidence that Christians met at the site for centuries after the Ascension of Christ to remember His Passion and Crucifixion there.
    FWIW, I was in North Korea a couple of years ago where I visited a rather nice traditional Korean peasant's farmhouse, with water well, byre and what-have-you, where I learned that Kim Il Sung, the Dear Leader, was born and grew up (actually, he seems to have been born in the Russian Far East, to parents who were christian missionaries). A day or two later, we saw his corpse lying in his massive mausoleum, but he looked like he was made of polystyrene to me. Weirdest of all, we saw the strange blob of whatever-it-was that were told was the solidified salt of the tears of the citizens who had spontaneously burst out weeping when they heard of his death.

Simply because a tradition exists, or one hears that a tradition existed, does not always mean that any part of the tradition is actually true.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Soul Winner: I'm far far more likely to take the Church of the Holy Sepulchre one more seriously due to actual evidence that Christians met at the site for centuries after the Ascension of Christ to remember His Passion and Crucifixion there. Notable Christian authors such as Eusebius told us even when the Roman temple to Venus was constructed on the site Christians still came there to remember Christ. I have very little doubt about it.

Without trying to sound unnecessarily obtuse I personally don't care where it is. I was just making the point that had there been a body in His tomb when the preaching of His resurrection was going on then it would have been produced by the powers that be in order to refute the miraculous claims made by the disciples that He rose from the dead. For me it doesn't really matter where His tomb is. If he rose from the dead and ascended as reported then that's good enough for me. I don't need to know where His tomb is located geographically in order to be convinced of his resurrection. If you believe that the Church of Sepulchre is located where His tomb is then that's great. It probably is there. But even if you were to have unequivocal proof that it is the actually site for His tomb then I still wouldn’t see that as having any more effect on my already established faith in Christ.

Because the first message of the New Testament Church was a resurrected living Christ, nobody really cared about the tomb.

Yeah, why would the followers of Jesus care about the site of the resurrection of their Lord and the spot in which their God saved humanity from eternal damnation? Boring. Just like nobody today bothers visiting the empty tomb at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Or perhaps nobody cared about the tomb because there was no resurrection.

I think the argument that nobody visiting the tomb is in someway evidence for there being a resurrection is ridiculously flimsy and also gives a win-win position for Christians. Imagine if the exact opposite was the case and tomorrow we found a long lost document from Josephus describing massive crowds of Jews visiting an empty tomb in Jerusalem from about 30 AD onwards. Are you really saying that you would reject this because it doesn't fit with your "resurrected living Christ" hypothesis. Of course you wouldn't.

The lack of veneration of the tomb is the weakest evidence for the resurrection of the two possible outcomes and it is exactly what we would expect to find if there was no resurrection. You are trying to spin what happened to support the resurrection.
    If His body was still in the tomb then the powers that be would have produced the body in moment in order to shut up the preachers of this new resurrection from the dead doctrine.

We have gone through this already. Jewish law prohibited the permanent burial of an executed criminal, if Joseph of Arimathea did put the body in his tomb as sunset was approaching he would have been obliged to move the body at the earliest time possible to a criminal graveyard. It then becomes a question of who gets to the tomb first, Joseph or the women.

As we discovered on another thread, you are a supporter of the Wednesday crucifiction and the women discovering the tomb on the following Sunday morning. Your position, if I recall correctly, was a Thursday Sabbath and of course the Saturday Sabbath. Joseph would not have been allowed move the body during Thursday so he would have been obliged to move it first thing Friday morning. A Friday execution makes things a little tighter for Joseph getting to the tomb before the women but still in no way implausable.

The possibility that Joseph moved the body to a criminal graveyard is entirely plausable and as far as I can see has only one thing working against it. When the claims of resurrection became public why did Joseph not announce what really happened and show them where he placed the body? I can off hand think of two very credible reasons: (1) he died shortly afterwards, or (2) he left Jerusalem shortly afterwards and never became aware of the controversy. Again either of these possibilities fit perfectly with the evidence that we find in the Gospels. Joseph of Arimathea makes a very brief cameo appearance in the Bible to take the body of Jesus and is never heard of again. What happened to him?

This is an entirely plausable scenario dependent on no magical or supernatural events.

Let me recap on the three main points:

If Joseph moved the body as he would have had to do then what would we expect the women to find? An empty tomb.
    What do the women find? An empty tomb.

If Joseph died/left Jerusalem shortly after the burial would we expect him to be mentioned in events following the burial? No.
    Do we find Joseph mentioned in the Gospels after the burial? No.

If there was no resurrection would we expect veneration of the tomb? No.
    Do we find any veneration of the tomb? No.

Yeah, why would the followers of Jesus care about the site of the resurrection of their Lord and the spot in which their God saved humanity from eternal damnation? Boring. Just like nobody today bothers visiting the empty tomb at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Or perhaps nobody cared about the tomb because there was no resurrection.

So if a relative of yours rose from the dead today would you still visit their grave as often as you did before their resurrection if at all?
    I think the argument that nobody visiting the tomb is in someway evidence for there being a resurrection is ridiculously flimsy and also gives a win-win position for Christians.

But I never said that nobody visiting the tomb was evidence for the resurrection did I? Please re-read.
    Imagine if the exact opposite was the case and tomorrow we found a long lost document from Josephus describing massive crowds of Jews visiting an empty tomb in Jerusalem from about 30 AD onwards. Are you really saying that you would reject this because it doesn't fit with your "resurrected living Christ" hypothesis. Of course you wouldn't.

An extension to your imaginary argument. Please re-read my posts to see if I actually said that nobody visiting the tomb was evidence for the resurrection. If I did actally say that then this imaginary argument can then turn into a real one.
    The lack of veneration of the tomb is the weakest evidence for the resurrection of the two possible outcomes and it is exactly what we would expect to find if there was no resurrection. You are trying to spin what happened to support the resurrection.

Yaaaaaawwwnnnn!!!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

We have gone through this already. Jewish law prohibited the permanent burial of an executed criminal, if Joseph of Arimathea did put the body in his tomb as sunset was approaching he would have been obliged to move the body at the earliest time possible to a criminal graveyard. It then becomes a question of who gets to the tomb first, Joseph or the women.

As we discovered on another thread, you are a supporter of the Wednesday crucifiction and the women discovering the tomb on the following Sunday morning. Your position, if I recall correctly, was a Thursday Sabbath and of course the Saturday Sabbath. Joseph would not have been allowed move the body during Thursday so he would have been obliged to move it first thing Friday morning. A Friday execution makes things a little tighter for Joseph getting to the tomb before the women but still in no way implausable.

The possibility that Joseph moved the body to a criminal graveyard is entirely plausable and as far as I can see has only one thing working against it. When the claims of resurrection became public why did Joseph not announce what really happened and show them where he placed the body? I can off hand think of two very credible reasons: (1) he died shortly afterwards, or (2) he left Jerusalem shortly afterwards and never became aware of the controversy. Again either of these possibilities fit perfectly with the evidence that we find in the Gospels. Joseph of Arimathea makes a very brief cameo appearance in the Bible to take the body of Jesus and is never heard of again. What happened to him?

This is an entirely plausable scenario dependent on no magical or supernatural events.

Let me recap on the three main points:

If Joseph moved the body as he would have had to do then what would we expect the women to find? An empty tomb.
    What do the women find? An empty tomb.

If Joseph died/left Jerusalem shortly after the burial would we expect him to be mentioned in events following the burial? No.
    Do we find Joseph mentioned in the Gospels after the burial? No.

If there was no resurrection would we expect veneration of the tomb? No.
    Do we find any veneration of the tomb? No.

Let's assume for arguments sake that you are right and that Joseph went to the tomb and took the body on Friday evening after the first Sabbath. How did he convince the soldiers to break the seal that was supposed to be in place until at least the third day?

Or let's assume that he somehow he convinced the soldiers to break the seal and that they allowed him to take the body of Jesus from his tomb and dump it on some trash heap some where. Do you think he was able to do this alone? Or would he need help carrying the body? If he had help then why couldn’t those helpers tell the disciples and the women about Joseph taking the body? Assuming Joseph died or vanished into thin air afterwards?

In any case your story might very well explain the empty tomb but it still doesn't explain the preaching of the ascension into heaven. How do you explain that? The same source that claims an empty tomb, a resurrection also claims this. They are still either knowingly lying about the whole thing or telling the truth by merely reporting what they experienced and saw, even if your untenable story about Joseph taking the body and disappearing before he could tell anyone about it is true.

• Advertisement

Here is another interesting theory which I only came across today:

After the Jewish uprising in 70 AD the Romans carried out a massive scale crucifiction of the rebels. Josephus came across three men he knew who were being crucified. He was in good terms with the Roman commander Titus and went to him, Titus ordered the three men to be removed from the crosses. Two of the three criminals died and one lived. Josephus' Jewish name was Josef ben Matityahu (Mathias).

The Gospels (written years after this event) has a Joseph of Arimathea, who was in good terms with the Roman governor and a friend of one of three men being crucified, go to the governor and ask for the body. Two of the three criminals died and one lived. This city Arimathea is not mentioned anywhere outside the Gospels but does seem to me to sound very similar to Bar Mathias.

as I [Joseph Bar Mathias] came back, I saw many captives crucified; and remembered three of them as my former acquaintance. I was very sorry at this in my mind, and went with tears in my eyes to Titus, and told him of them; so he immediately commanded them to be taken down, and to have the greatest care taken of them, in order to their recovery; yet two of them died under the physician’s hands, while the third recovered.

The Life of Flavius Josephus

Could it be just possible that this actual event by Joseph Bar Mathias in 70 AD became a folk tale in Judea which was got mixed up with that of Jesus and the figure of Joseph of Arimathea and the entire story of one of three executed men living was born?

Here is another interesting theory which I only came across today:

After the Jewish uprising in 70 AD the Romans carried out a massive scale crucifiction of the rebels. Josephus came across three men he knew who were being crucified. He was in good terms with the Roman commander Titus and went to him, Titus ordered the three men to be removed from the crosses. Two of the three criminals died and one lived. Josephus' Jewish name was Josef ben Matityahu (Mathias).

The Gospels (written years after this event) has a Joseph of Arimathea, who was in good terms with the Roman governor and a friend of one of three men being crucified, go to the governor and ask for the body. Two of the three criminals died and one lived. This city Arimathea is not mentioned anywhere outside the Gospels but does seem to me to sound very similar to Bar Mathias.

as I [Joseph Bar Mathias] came back, I saw many captives crucified; and remembered three of them as my former acquaintance. I was very sorry at this in my mind, and went with tears in my eyes to Titus, and told him of them; so he immediately commanded them to be taken down, and to have the greatest care taken of them, in order to their recovery; yet two of them died under the physician’s hands, while the third recovered.

The Life of Flavius Josephus

Could it be just possible that this actual event by Joseph Bar Mathias in 70 AD became a folk tale in Judea which was got mixed up with that of Jesus and the figure of Joseph of Arimathea and the entire story of one of three executed men living was born?

No that actually sounds like someone grabbing at straws.

Christ died circa AD 30 – AD – 33 some 40 years before your story. So if anything your story was formulated from the original not the other way around no?

You see what nobody ever debates about Christianity is the actually power of its message. So the world is forever coming up with theories to explain the message.

So if a relative of yours rose from the dead today would you still visit their grave as often as you did before their resurrection if at all?

Without doubt I would.
    But I never said that nobody visiting the tomb was evidence for the resurrection did I? Please re-read.

Well what exactly were you saying? Why did nobody bother visiting the site of the salvation of humanity of the resurrection story was believed from the very beginning?
    Let's assume for arguments sake that you are right and that Joseph went to the tomb and took the body on Friday evening after the first Sabbath. How did he convince the soldiers to break the seal that was supposed to be in place until at least the third day?

Or let's assume that he somehow he convinced the soldiers to break the seal and that they allowed him to take the body of Jesus from his tomb and dump it on some trash heap some where. Do you think he was able to do this alone? Or would he need help carrying the body? If he had help then why couldn’t those helpers tell the disciples and the women about Joseph taking the body? Assuming Joseph died or vanished into thin air afterwards?

Neither of these points are so far fetched as to make reanimation of a dead body the most likely scenario. Maybe he did have an assistant, Nicodemus perhaps. It is possible that both died. Unlikely but possible. Maybe he had a younger son who helped him and who went with his father on his travels.
    In any case your story might very well explain the empty tomb but it still doesn't explain the preaching of the ascension into heaven. How do you explain that?

The same way you explain away Mohammed's ascension into the presence of Allah.

In any case the earliest Gospel, Mark, originally ended with the women finding the empty tomb. The original Gospel had no appearance to the eleven disciples, no appearance to the two disciples along the road and no ascention into Heaven. All these were later additions to the original. The first Gospel written finished with the women finding an empty tomb.

No that actually sounds like someone grabbing at straws.

Christ died circa AD 30 – AD – 33 some 40 years before your story. So if anything your story was formulated from the original not the other way around no?

You see what nobody ever debates about Christianity is the actually power of its message. So the world is forever coming up with theories to explain the message.

Not clutching at straws at all. Jesus died about 30 AD but the first Gospel account of a resurrection isn't found until 75-80 AD. If we accept that there were earlier Gospels knocking about before this, the illusive Quelle Gospel, then you find no evidence of a belief in resurrection was held until the early 70s AD. If Josephus is telling the truth (Christians have no bother believing the stuff he says in favour of what they believe so why should they begin to doubt him on this?) then he would have saved the life of a crucified man just prior to the emergence of written evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. The timings coincide nicely.

If there was a Gospel account of Joseph of Arimathea and the crucifiction/burial/resurrection story which could be confidently dated to prior to the Jewish uprising then I would happily say that this was just a coincidence or a lie by Josephus. It is a fierce coincidence though. Why is Arimathea not mentioned anywhere else except for the Gospels? It was supposedly a city yet there are no records of it. Where did Joseph of Arimathea disappear to? With the Josephus story things make sense. There was no Arimathea, it was a case of Chinese Whispers when word of mouth spread the story of Joseph bar Mathias taking the body of a crucified man who lived.

Nothing that he says is too improbable. He was in good terms with the Romans by this stage, he claims this took place in 70 AD and the earliest Gospels were written 5-10 years after this when, if Josephus is telling the truth, the event would have been fresh enough in the memory of people to be recalled but also there was plenty of time for the story to spread and to allow details get mixed up like Arimathea/Bar Mathias and eventually for the story to be incorporated into the Jesus myth.

Without doubt I would.

You answered that without actually taking into acount that your relative actually rose. You're unbeliving frame of refernace is unconciously governing you're thought patterns you're just not aware of it. I hate put downs do you?
    Well what exactly were you saying?

Read it again and find out.
    Why did nobody bother visiting the site of the salvation of humanity of the resurrection story was believed from the very beginning?

????? :confused: ?????? You may want to reword that.

Neither of these points are so far fetched as to make reanimation of a dead body the most likely scenario.

I never said they were. All I said was that the tomb was empty. If it wasn't then the powers that be would have produced the body in order to put a stop to the preaching.
    Maybe he did have an assistant, Nicodemus perhaps. It is possible that both died. Unlikely but possible. Maybe he had a younger son who helped him and who went with his father on his travels.

Or maybe the person who helped him was deaf and dumb and couldn't write and was trying to explain to the disciples that Jesus was actually dumped on some trash heap but they couldn't understand what he was saying so they just kept on lying.

The same way you explain away Mohammed's ascension into the presence of Allah.

How many of Mohamed's followers preached his ascension under torture and until death? Where does Mohamed prophecy of his own death and resurrection in the Quran? Did he actually die and raise again or just ascend? and what did he say his death meant for all mankind?
    In any case the earliest Gospel, Mark, originally ended with the women finding the empty tomb. The original Gospel had no appearance to the eleven disciples, no appearance to the two disciples along the road and no ascension into Heaven. All these were later additions to the original. The first Gospel written finished with the women finding an empty tomb.

But it has a record of Jesus walking on water and feeding thousands of people with five loaves of bread and two fishes, healing blind people, is states that Moses and Elijah who were dead for centuries beforehand were transfigured on the mount where He prayed and a passage where in fact Jesus talks about the resurrection as being a real happening and all this before the women went to the tomb were you say the original gospel ends.

Does the fact that these stories were included in the original gospel of Mark make these stories true? A yes or no answer will suffice. If yes then how could these things happen? And if no then why use an omission of the resurrection story in the original as proof that it didn’t happen? It works both ways don’t you think?

I must go out now I will answer your other post later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Not clutching at straws at all. Jesus died about 30 AD but the first Gospel account of a resurrection isn't found until 75-80 AD. If we accept that there were earlier Gospels knocking about before this, the illusive Quelle Gospel, then you find no evidence of a belief in resurrection was held until the early 70s AD.

I suggest you read 1 Corinthians Chapter 15 (written about 54 AD).

I never said they were. All I said was that the tomb was empty. If it wasn't then the powers that be would have produced the body in order to put a stop to the preaching.

Fine, I can agree with that. The tomb was empty, just as empty as it would be if Joseph of Arimathea removed the body.
    Or maybe the person who helped him was deaf and dumb and couldn't write and was trying to explain to the disciples that Jesus was actually dumped on some trash heap but they couldn't understand what he was saying so they just kept on lying.

You are beginning to get the hang of this. This does not break any laws of science and is entirely possible. I would be quite surprised if that was what actually happened but nowhere near as surprised as if a dead man rose back to life.
    How many of Mohamed's followers preached his ascension under torture and until death? Where does Mohamed prophecy of his own death and resurrection in the Quran? Did he actually die and raise again or just ascend? and what did he say his death meant for all mankind?

None of these matter in the slightest. Having people willing to die for their beliefs is not a good support. Christianity does not have a monopoly on religious martyrs.
    But it has a record of Jesus walking on water and feeding thousands of people with five loaves of bread and two fishes, healing blind people, is states that Moses and Elijah who were dead for centuries beforehand were transfigured on the mount where He prayed and a passage where in fact Jesus talks about the resurrection as being a real happening and all this before the women went to the tomb were you say the original gospel ends.

Does the fact that these stories were included in the original gospel of Mark make these stories true? A yes or no answer will suffice. If yes then how could these things happen? And if no then why use an omission of the resurrection story in the original as proof that it didn’t happen? It works both ways don’t you think?

Of course having these stories in the original gospel does not make them true. But what it does indicate is that when the very first account of the life and death of Jesus was being written the author finished at the discovery of an empty tomb.

As the Gospels get churned out the stories become more and more fanciful. Mark ends with a young man at the tomb saying that Jesus would be seen in Galilee, not specifying whether this would be a physical or spiritual sighting. A decade later Matthew builds on this and the young man becomes an angel descending from Heaven announcing that Jesus would be seen in Galilee. The women then meet Jesus and the author of Matthew makes sure to point out that it was a physical Jesus. A little bit after Matthew comes Luke, the author of Luke turns the one angel into two men wearing brilliantly white clothes and goes even further out of his way to clarify that it was a physical Jesus that appeared by having Jesus insist the disciples touch him and then he ate a fish. After another decade or two we get John who has turned the two men in white into two angels. John then outdoes even Luke by bringing in Doubting Thomas to make sure that there was no confusion about the physical rebirth of Jesus.

After this the proceeding Gospels get so far fetched that even the Christians decided they were unbelievable. What we do have though is a progression. A relatively simple account in Mark where there was ambiguity in whether a spiritual or physical resurrection occured, to Matthew who left a little bit of confusion, to Luke who left no confusion and then John who tries to outdo even Luke.

PDN wrote: »
    I suggest you read 1 Corinthians Chapter 15 (written about 54 AD).

I have read alternative interpretations of the writings of Paul which are not too convincing that he was referring to a physical resurrection at all but instead a spiritual one.

Paul claims there were hundreds of eye-witnesses for the resurrected Jesus. He lists himself as an eye-witness. We know that he did not see Jesus in the flesh but rather a non-physical entity, however he does not suggest anywhere that the other sightings were in any way different to his. He uses the same Greek word for "seen" (ôphthê) in his encounter as he does for every other sighting. The only account in the Gospels for a large number of people having an encounter which could in anyway coincide with Paul's claim was at Pentecost, which again was a non-physical appearance. He never refers to Joseph or Arimathea, or to the women arriving at the empty tomb, or Doubting Thomas, or any concrete reference to an event in which a physical Jesus was present. This at least implies that he considered Jesus to be resurrected in a spiritual sense only.

The amount of basic details that Paul fails to mention certainly leaves the possibility of later events getting mixed up with the story of Jesus.

None of these matter in the slightest. Having people willing to die for their beliefs is not a good support. Christianity does not have a monopoly on religious martyrs.
    This attempted rebuttal of Soulwinner's point has been presented before in previous threads on this board. Then, as now, it misunderstands the fundamental point that he is making.

No-one is arguing that willingness to die for one's beliefs makes those beliefs true. However, such willingness to die does testify to the fact that the potential martyrs themselves actually believe what they are preaching. This becomes relevant when we discuss the resurrection because it was the purported eye-witnesses who were prepared to die rather than admit that they had made it all up. This would strongly support the conclusion that they were sincere in their testimony and so were either truthful witnesses or else demented nutjobs - but not liars.

In other words, if I am prepared, 2000 years after the event, to die rather than to deny the resurrection - that in itself is no indication of whether the resurrection is fact or fiction. But if the original eye-witnesses were prepared to die for the same reason - then that is a factor that supports the view of the resurrection as a historical event.

I have read alternative interpretations of the writings of Paul which are not too convincing that he was referring to a physical resurrection at all but instead a spiritual one.

Paul claims there were hundreds of eye-witnesses for the resurrected Jesus. He lists himself as an eye-witness. We know that he did not see Jesus in the flesh but rather a non-physical entity, however he does not suggest anywhere that the other sightings were in any way different to his. He uses the same Greek word for "seen" (ôphthê) in his encounter as he does for every other sighting. The only account in the Gospels for a large number of people having an encounter which could in anyway coincide with Paul's claim was at Pentecost, which again was a non-physical appearance. He never refers to Joseph or Arimathea, or to the women arriving at the empty tomb, or Doubting Thomas, or any concrete reference to an event in which a physical Jesus was present. This at least implies that he considered Jesus to be resurrected in a spiritual sense only.

No, the fact that Paul does not see fit to record every detail of the resurrection fits well with the purpose of 1 Corinthians 15 - which was to correct a doctrinal error and not to write a detailed history of the first Easter Sunday. It certainly does not imply in the slightest that Paul was talking about anything other than a physical resurrection.

It would be almost impossible to read Paul's epistles impartially and with an open mind and then to conclude that he did not teach a physical resurrection. The only interpreters who present a 'purely spiritual resurrection' theory are those who have a vested interest in attacking the historical beliefs of Christianity. Such people love to grasp at half-baked theories to attack a Christianity that they already dislike (remember Voltaire's ahistorical and fanciful reinterpretation of the Council of Laodicea?)

Paul was a Pharisee. As such he uses the word 'resurrection' in the same way that it would be understood by Pharisees and other Jews - as a physical event. There is no warrant to suppose that Paul would take a common concept of his day and invest it with a radically different meaning without ever explaining what he is doing.

Also, in 1 Corinthians 15 (and elsewhere when he refers to the resurrection) Paul continually uses the normal Greek word for 'body' (soma). No impartial historian or literary critic could ignore such an obvious fact.

• Advertisement

In other words, if I am prepared, 2000 years after the event, to die rather than to deny the resurrection - that in itself is no indication of whether the resurrection is fact or fiction.
    Indeed.
    But if the original eye-witnesses were prepared to die for the same reason - then that is a factor that supports the view of the resurrection as a historical event.
    Now -- as it has been for millennia -- the world is full of armies who will fight to the death to preserve the ideas they've been told to preserve with their lives.

Does the fact that many of these armies are fighting to protect lies not suggest that it's a pretty lousy idea to believe something simply because somebody claims they're prepared to die to protect it?

In fact, would you not accept that, when oneself is the only thing at stake, that it's rather close to madness to claim that one is prepared to die instead of saying that something is false?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Depeche_Mode said:
    We know that he did not see Jesus in the flesh but rather a non-physical entity
    You are mistaken.

Paul saw Christ as He was - risen from the dead, in His glorified body, just as the other apostles and 500+ saw Him. Paul in fact lists his sighting as the 'last' such.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

Fine, I can agree with that. The tomb was empty, just as empty as it would be if Joseph of Arimathea removed the body.

Or if ants had eaten it.

You are beginning to get the hang of this. This does not break any laws of science and is entirely possible. I would be quite surprised if that was what actually happened but nowhere near as surprised as if a dead man rose back to life.

The Disciples were dumbfounded when they heard that He was raised. Surprised hardly says it. Look if God exists at all then He is not subject to the laws of science as it would have been He who had set them in motion in the first place. Christianity is based on a miracle. A miracle which defies the laws of science. Supernatural simply means more natural. You start out with an a-priory assumption that miracles cannot happen, so therefore to you there has to be a logical natural explanation for what took place in the New Testament, because miracles cannot happen as far as your concerned. But what if they did happen?

Of course miracles cannot happen by any method known to mankind but if all we see in our universe was set in motion by a supernatural being (what ever that menas) then miracles are natural out flowings of that being's nature. The creation of this universe is a miracle itself. Even the big bang theory is miraculous. All matter was condensened into somehtin the size of a golf ball and exploded into what we now see as the universe. The question remains, where did they golf ball sized condensed matter come from? There are many scientific explanations as to how it came into being but no really certain way of actually knowing. How can we know how it came into being when we do not even understand it yet? Raising someone from the dead is not really that much of a big deal compared to creating a universe. Coming along and slagging someone off because they believe in miracles simply because they defy the laws of science is not a very scientific behaviour. Aren’t scientists supposed to be open to any possibility that has not been disproven? Is it the scientific way to ridicule someone’s beliefs when science itself admits that it doesn’t have the answer to all the questions that are out there? Simply believing that science will one day have the answers to all these questions is not a good basis for deciding to deride others for believing in the unexplained. Science doesn’t have the answers to all the question either. You just might be right about there being no God but you still don’t actually know that you’re right. You’re as in the dark as those who profess to be right about there actually being a God. The only ones who really know are those who know.

They were not like soldiers dying in battle for their country. Or like suicide bombers dying for what they believed to be a righteous cause. They had a story to tell. Were compelled to renege on it or face painful death. If it was a lie then it is psychologically inconceivable that they would die for it. Think of it, they are liars. They don’t care about the truth. People who would endeavour to lie and deceive in that way would not have the depth of character to die for it. They would have signed any statement to escape such horrific deaths. Bartholomew had his fleshed peeled from his body with a whip in Armenia. Thomas was pierced with swords in India. Andrew (Patron saint of Scotland) was crucified and preached his testimony for two days on his cross until he eventually expired. You don’t do that if you are a liar who doesn’t care about the truth.

Of course having these stories in the original gospel does not make them true. But what it does indicate is that when the very first account of the life and death of Jesus was being written the author finished at the discovery of an empty tomb.

As the Gospels get churned out the stories become more and more fanciful. Mark ends with a young man at the tomb saying that Jesus would be seen in Galilee, not specifying whether this would be a physical or spiritual sighting.

Ok, so if they went to the tomb what where they expecting to see, a physical body or a spiritual body? It was a physical body. If the tomb was empty then where did the physical body go? If the young man said that Jesus was going to be seen in Galilee then in what form do you suggest he meant? If it was merely spiritual then why was he so convinced that they would see him? I can just see him shouting after them when he thought about it. “Oh it will only be in a spiritual sense that you will see him”. But by that time they were already legging it to Galilee. The theories you put forth as explanations for the story are more ridiculous than the story itself if you ask me. You just don’t believe in resurrections and therefore you mould any and all other possible outcomes into plausible explanations for the original story. I’m telling you the reporters are either knowingly lying or they are telling the truth about what they saw. If they were lying I think 2000 years of intricate word by word analysis of what they said would have proven it by now. This means they were telling the truth, which means He raised.

A decade later Matthew builds on this and the young man becomes an angel descending from Heaven announcing that Jesus would be seen in Galilee.

You’re suggesting that angels don’t exist simply because Mark states that it was a young man rather than an angel who spoke to the women. The word angel merely means “messenger”. Who are these that Mark is talking about in the 1st chapter whoch would be ok to use as it was in the original Gospel of Mark.

“and he was in the desert forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.” Mark 1:13

In the Old Testament Angels were often confused with men. Abraham’s visitors in Genesis 18 and 19. The man Jacob wrestled with until the breaking of the day in Genesis 32 and Gideon’s visitor in Judges 6:22 that only after he burned Gideon’s offering on the rock did Gideon realise it was an angel that was speaking with him. The Angel could have easily took the form of a young man.
    The women then meet Jesus and the author of Matthew makes sure to point out that it was a physical Jesus. A little bit after Matthew comes Luke, the author of Luke turns the one angel into two men wearing brilliantly white clothes and goes even further out of his way to clarify that it was a physical Jesus that appeared by having Jesus insist the disciples touch him and then he ate a fish. After another decade or two we get John who has turned the two men in white into two angels. John then outdoes even Luke by bringing in Doubting Thomas to make sure that there was no confusion about the physical rebirth of Jesus.

So basically what you’re saying is that they did not collaborate when they wrote their stories. People who decide to make up a lie about someone like Jesus would at least make sure that their stories were the same wouldn’t they? What you’re saying rules out collaboration at least.

After this the proceeding Gospels get so far fetched that even the Christians decided they were unbelievable. What we do have though is a progression. A relatively simple account in Mark where there was ambiguity in whether a spiritual or physical resurrection occurred, to Matthew who left a little bit of confusion, to Luke who left no confusion and then John who tries to outdo even Luke.

So do you believe that there was even a spiritual resurrection of Jesus then? If not then it wouldn’t matter what Mark wrote would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

But if the original eye-witnesses were prepared to die for the same reason - then that is a factor that supports the view of the resurrection as a historical event.

That is quite an assumption there PDN.

Consider you are simply a neutral party, would you consider the testimony of people claiming to have seen a supernatural event as support that such a supernatural event actually took place?

I find it peculiar that you classify these witnesses as either liars, nut jobs or correct in what they saw. You seem to imply that because they were prepared to die that one can rule out liars, and I imagine you rule out them all being nut jobs purely on statistics (they can't all be mad and claim the same thing), which handily enough leaves you with the only conclusion that they were correct in what they saw. Do you not think there is another, more rational, 4th option?

Would you apply that to any other non-Christian supernatural event? Would you classify every person who claimed to have witnessed a supernatural event in the same fashion?

Wicknight wrote: »
    That is quite an assumption there PDN.

Consider you are simply a neutral party, would you consider the testimony of people claiming to have seen a supernatural event as support that such a supernatural event actually took place?

I find it peculiar that you classify these witnesses as either liars, nut jobs or correct in what they saw. You seem to imply that because they were prepared to die that one can rule out liars, and I imagine you rule out them all being nut jobs purely on statistics (they can't all be mad and claim the same thing), which handily enough leaves you with the only conclusion that they were correct in what they saw. Do you not think there is another, more rational, 4th option?

Would you apply that to any other non-Christian supernatural event? Would you classify every person who claimed to have witnessed a supernatural event in the same fashion?

If those people are willing to suffer torture and die rather than deny what they claimed to witness then I would view that as strong evidence that they themselves believed their own testimony to be true.

That does of course leave the following options:
    a) They saw something else and were genuinely mistaken. That would be more plausible for some 'supernatural events' than for others. For example, UFO sightings might be a mistaken interpretation of a natural phenomena. It would be less believable that somebody made a genuine error and mistook something else for the experience of having a series of meetings (including eating meals) with someone who was dead.
    b) They were lying.
    c) They were nuts.
    d) They all suffered the same set of hallucinations - or a mass hallucination. That would be more plausible if it referred to one group of people at one specific event, rather than different groups of people in various settings both indoors and outdoors over a period of several days.

That does of course leave the following options:
    a) They saw something else and were genuinely mistaken. That would be more plausible for some 'supernatural events' than for others. For example, UFO sightings might be a mistaken interpretation of a natural phenomena. It would be less believable that somebody made a genuine error and mistook something else for the experience of having a series of meetings (including eating meals) with someone who was dead.

Well actually I would consider that more plausible, since it is grounded in something they have experience with, that something their imagination has to fill in (a UFO)

There is a lot made of the fact that a large percentage of UFO sightings describe UFO's in similar shape and appearance to those originally introduced in early sci-fi movies and comic books.

When people believe they have seen something that they actually haven't their mind fills in the blanks not from invention but from the familiar.

As for "eating meals", you are again assuming that because they claimed that happened it actually did happen (or they are lying).

Studies of Nazi holocaust survivors have detailed an interesting phenomena where the survivors are convinced certain events happened that couldn't have possibly happened, such as Hitler personally visiting the camp they were at. This unfortunately has been manipulated by Holocaust deniers to say that the Jews are basically lying (about these details and probably the whole thing), but that is not necessarily the case. They genuinely believe it happened, but it didn't.

The explanation given for why after only a few years the Jews had such difficulty telling fact from fiction of their own memories was put down the incredible stress they found themselves in

Memory is a funny thing and the mind often fills in the blanks around scenarios created by the subconscious. People also subconsciously manipulated their memories, as detailed on the recent BBC Horizon show. When a person recalls a memory it becomes "unfixed" in the persons mind and then refixed again. The memory can be slightly altered in a fashion (this is being used to treat people with stress disorders by artificially blocking this process).

So again the conclusion is not simply between it either happened as they say or they are lying about it.

How many years after the events described where the actual accounts taken down?

Now I'm not expecting you to accept this as demonstrating that they are all wrong. My point is that the assumption they are right because that is the only rational conclusion is in error. They may be right, but the fact that they genuinely believe they are isn't strong support that they are.

I might find your Holocaust analogy more convincing if all the Jews in a camp were convinced that they had seen Hitler. It would take a gigantic leap of faith to imagine the kind of false memories such as you describe as occurring simultaneously and uniformly across a group of people. I admire your faith but confess I am too much of a skeptic to share it.
    How many years after the events described where the actual accounts taken down?
    The evidence we have suggests that they were declared orally within a few days. They were referred to in a written document (1 Corinthians) 20 years later, and the earliest detailed written accounts date from 20 to 50 years later (the later dates do require a certain capacity for circular reasoning).

I might find your Holocaust analogy more convincing if all the Jews in a camp were convinced that they had seen Hitler. It would take a gigantic leap of faith to imagine the kind of false memories such as you describe as occurring simultaneously and uniformly across a group of people.
    Not in the slightest

Recent studies have shown that it is in fact relatively easy to create uniform fake memories in large population groups, you just need similar stimulus. A study from 2001 successfully implanted the memory of shaking hands with Bugs Bunny at DisneyLand (can you spot the problem with that) in nearly one third of a sample group simply by showing them an advertisement for DisneyLand showing such an event.

http://www.unisci.com/stories/20012/0613011.htm

It is not in anyway hard to imagine how stories of Jesus' resurrection could have a similar effect on people. So years later when people come to write this stuff down you have people coming out of the wood work saying "Yes, I saw it too!" They aren't necessarily lying, they may genuinely believe that they did see the risen Christ, just as the people above genuinely believe they shook hands with Bugs at DisneyLand.

The important point is that these people are not lying.

Their brain has formed a "memory" that is as real to them when they recall it as anything else in their past. This happens to everyone, and I'm sure anyone reading this can think of examples from their own past. I for one can clearly remember Mary Robinson coming to my primary school and shaking my hand. It was only recently when discussing this with my family, after I said "I met Mary Robinson once" that on explanation my mother informed me that Mary Robinson never came to my primary school. Where that "memory" came from I'm not sure, but I can clearly see in my minds eye Mary Robinson standing in the school ground with the principle as we all lined up.

Now apply that to a common claim, for example everyone who is sure, 100% sure, they heard Bob Geldolf say "Give us your f**kin' money", when in fact he didn't. Or any other example where a common memory shared among a population is both similar yet inaccurate.
    I admire your faith but confess I am too much of a skeptic to share it.
    Quite ... you do seem to be ignoring the central point though.
    The evidence we have suggests that they were declared orally within a few days.
    It does? Which evidence would this be?
    They were referred to in a written document (1 Corinthians) 20 years later, and the earliest detailed written accounts date from 20 to 50 years later (the later dates do require a certain capacity for circular reasoning).

Well there you go. It was a whole 20 years later that these oral declarations were actually ever written down.

Who held them in that period? Who made sure that 200 didn't become 500, or that through the spreading of these stories you didn't have more people come out and say "I saw it to". And those writing these declarations down, did they go back to the original eye witnesses to interview them again?

It would take a gigantic leap of faith to imagine the kind of false memories such as you describe as occurring simultaneously and uniformly across a group of people. I admire your faith but confess I am too much of a skeptic to share it.
    As Wicknight says, creating false group memories within large groups is actually quite easy.

To pick some recent examples, it was done in Rwanda by the Radio des Milles Collines at the behest of the Rwandan government, in Serbia at the behest of the Yugoslav/Serbian government, and I've no doubt that something identical happened in the anti-christian Hindu riots in India that you posted about some months ago. There are many, many other examples and I'm really surprised that you don't seem to have realized this from your extensive study of history.

Apart from the Disney research quoted above, other research seems to indicate that it's easier to implant memories if they inculcate a sense of victimhood, the existence of grand conspiracies, ingroup/outgroup division, group solidarity etc. I also believe that it becomes almost trivially easy to do if the population is trained to elevate intentional reality above physical reality, such as happens in authoritarian states driven by national or religious ideologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Mistake were Made (but not by me) is a very interesting book that deals with (amount other things) false/inaccurate memories, how memory can be manipulated, how memories change over time etc.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-Not/dp/0151010986/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206632977&sr=8-1

Well worth a read.

Advertisement