Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do teachers do when schools are off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Macavity. wrote: »
    In some European countries people aspire to be teachers like someone aspires to be a doctor. In my experience, over here it would seem a huge percentage of our teachers did poorly in Arts degrees and then decided to teach (genuinely not dissing Arts), not trying to be a dick to teachers, this is just something I have noticed.

Ye a huge percentage, in fact that is the majority of teachers you genius. Your statistics and facts that you took from your hole are spot on. Well done.

As for those that think teachers finish and 3 or 4, think again. The few that don't care might,on the other hand the ones that run several teams, or free after school lessons or anything else extra are in there until 6pm most days.

And of course the huge amount of young teachers who are on part time contracts and don't get paid for "holidays" (or as someone pointed it out, its the salary spread over the year instead of the 9 months for living purposes.

It is such a handy easy job of course, would love to see some of you lot try a few weeks, I mean if it is so handy and easy, why don't you do it?

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

tvnutz wrote: »
    Ye a huge percentage, in fact that is the majority of teachers you genius. Your statistics and facts that you took from your hole are spot on. Well done.

As for those that think teachers finish and 3 or 4, think again. The few that don't care might,on the other hand the ones that run several teams, or free after school lessons or anything else extra are in there until 6pm most days.

And of course the huge amount of young teachers who are on part time contracts and don't get paid for "holidays" (or as someone pointed it out, its the salary spread over the year instead of the 9 months for living purposes.

It is such a handy easy job of course, would love to see some of you lot try a few weeks, I mean if it is so handy and easy, why don't you do it?

Pathetic.

Should you not be asleep at this hour?, have to in early and all for class in the mor..

Oh yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Pathetic.

You are clearly a very angry and bitter individual. I hope some day you can come to terms with your demons.

I love you. xoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Us in the uk system only get six weeks holidays..........it's a disgrace, Joe!!

FYP

wazky wrote: »
    Should you not be asleep at this hour?, have to in early and all for class in the mor..

Oh yeah...

Actually up quite early, I run summer camps at my soccer club during my free time. Why are you not a teacher?

• Advertisement

You are clearly a very angry and bitter individual. I hope some day you can come to terms with your demons.

I love you. xoxo

haha, I think the only bitter people on here are individuals like yourself. Such a handy job sure, why did you not become a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Why are you not a teacher?

My parole officer wouldn't approve of the career change sadly.

haha, I think the only bitter people on here are individuals like yourself. Such a handy job sure, why did you not become a teacher?

Don't have a passion for teaching tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Probably feel very happy in the knowledge that they made a career choice that matches up with their work life balance wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Probably feel very happy in the knowledge that they made a career choice that matches up with their work life balance wants.

pity about it not matching up with income over expenditure!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

If all goes to plan it'll be part time farming during the school year, then full time farming and silage contracting for the 3 months off.

Can't. Fricking. Wait. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Behind the Fence

To quote a fellow teacher friend of mine "We all got a CAO form to fill in.... It's not my fault you didn't fill it in right"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The ones I know go on week long drug and drink benders.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People who complain about teachers always remind me of those crying gits on Masterchef, "its been my lifelong dream to be a chef".

"Oh yeah, then why did you study town planning ya muppet".

If teaching is a stroll in the park, why didn't everyone apply for it when heading off to university? So you made the wrong choice and are stuck in a job you don't like? Get over it.

I don't think anyone who's complaining about teachers would actually like to be one. I merely pointed out something that I had noticed and then people started getting defensive. Also, nobody is saying this applies to all teachers. Just a significant portion, unfortunately.

The person who responded to me didn't have very good punctuation, nor did they articulate themselves very well. They were also quite rude and insulting. Note how none of these things are ideal traits for a teacher of children/teens to have. This is also quite worrying.

Anyway, as a matter of interest. How many of the teachers on here did Arts and got less than a 2.1? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Everyone should have a 3 months off per year.
    marie12 wrote: »
    Week 1- get over the mentalness that is june and get those ringing bells out of head
    Week 2- get over the mentalness that was the whole year
    Week 3- sleep in and frolic in the garden in my bikini. Plus eat when I want to, not when a bell bursts my eardrum
    Week 4- watch daytime tv and listen to radio as we miss all the good stuff
    Week 5- do a course so we can get 3 more days off wahoo!!
    Week 6- spend a load going on hols as we miss all the cheapest flights
    Week 7-walk and wander around, taking in the wonders of the world and try get all the creatures to be quieter (oh yard duty how I miss you and that extra dosh)
    Week 8-go shopping for stuff to cover my legs that aren't jeans, dresses that don't ride up and tops that have high small neck holes, ahem boobage and bra straps
    Week 9- prepare myself mentally and buy a new lunch box

A/S/L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Having a career in the building industry if i were a teacher of construction studies or woodwork i would spend my holidays knocking it out watching sarah beeny selling houses or selling houses with amanda lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

NIMAN wrote: »
    People who complain about teachers always remind me of those crying gits on Masterchef, "its been my lifelong dream to be a chef".

"Oh yeah, then why did you study town planning ya muppet".

If teaching is a stroll in the park, why didn't everyone apply for it when heading off to university? So you made the wrong choice and are stuck in a job you don't like? Get over it.

But thats the problem you see. Everyone has bloody applied for it!

Very few people with lifelong ambitions from a young age of being a teacher. I know so many who develop this "love of teaching" after sampling a few years of the 9-5 grind.

Its only then that the prospect of 2-3 months holidays becomes very appealing again.

Love of teaching me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Holidays = travelling time.

See the world etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Everyone should have a 3 months off per year.

A/S/L

30 years from retirement/hmmm/sa leaba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

What do school teachers do when schools are off? And why do they get paid the full wage if they're not working?

a teacher's salary is spread out over 12 months not the academic year.

some babysit students doing exams others do feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

I dont think I could ever be a teacher. Imagine doing 6 years of secondary school, a few years in college, then going back to secondary school for the rest of your life?
    I'd go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

hairybelly wrote: »
    I dont think I could ever be a teacher. Imagine doing 6 years of secondary school, a few years in college, then going back to secondary school for the rest of your life?
    I'd go insane.

a fair few 2nd level teachers do have nervous breakdowns during their career

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

a fair few 2nd level teachers do have nervous breakdowns during their career

I know. I've seen quite a few have one in class.
    Couldnt control our school no matter who the teacher was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

marie12 wrote: »
    Week 6- spend a load going on hols as we miss all the cheapest flights

How much are those flights around Halloween, Christmas ,Easter , Mid terms ? Surely a bargain or 2 to be pick up then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In some European countries people aspire to be teachers like someone aspires to be a doctor. In my experience, over here it would seem a huge percentage of our teachers did poorly in Arts degrees and then decided to teach (genuinely not dissing Arts), not trying to be a dick to teachers, this is just something I have noticed.

To get into the Dip since the early 2000s you needed a first in an Arts degree. The standard has decreased recently due to lack of applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Teachers graduating now or who have graduated in the last few years have a tough time of it. When they get full time jobs I can confidently say they've earned them and deserve all the perks that go with it. They've done their time with 12 hour a week jobs and no holiday pay - and if they stick with it then fair play.

Teachers who have been teaching for 5+ years now that walked into jobs back in the boom are by and large a joke. 100% job security regardless of your ineptitude unless you manage to somehow punch or molest a student. 3 months holidays + Christmas, Easter, mid-terms. Absolutely zero performance review measures, once you're in you're in, if a kid fails it's because he's thick. If he does brilliantly it's because you nurtured his creative instincts. Zero chance of being "relocated" as a result of streamlining.

I appreciate that teachers have a tough job but the whining ye do is an absolute joke. You have the most secure, comfortable job going that simply is not subject to the risks that 90% of other jobs out there have to deal with, and ye have the nerve to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

price690 wrote: »
    But thats the problem you see. Everyone has bloody applied for it!

Very few people with lifelong ambitions from a young age of being a teacher. I know so many who develop this "love of teaching" after sampling a few years of the 9-5 grind.

Its only then that the prospect of 2-3 months holidays becomes very appealing again.

Love of teaching me hole.

Many students are pushed into teaching by there parents(teachers) because they know it's a relatively easy number with great pay, pension,holidays and family friendly lifestyle. Not many 18 year olds after finishing school contemplate spending another 30/35/40 years in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Teachers graduating now or who have graduated in the last few years have a tough time of it. When they get full time jobs I can confidently say they've earned them and deserve all the perks that go with it. They've done their time with 12 hour a week jobs and no holiday pay - and if they stick with it then fair play.

Teachers who have been teaching for 5+ years now that walked into jobs back in the boom are by and large a joke. 100% job security regardless of your ineptitude unless you manage to somehow punch or molest a student. 3 months holidays + Christmas, Easter, mid-terms. Absolutely zero performance review measures, once you're in you're in, if a kid fails it's because he's thick. If he does brilliantly it's because you nurtured his creative instincts. Zero chance of being "relocated" as a result of streamlining.

I appreciate that teachers have a tough job but the whining ye do is an absolute joke. You have the most secure, comfortable, job going that simply is not subject to the risks that 90% of other jobs out there have to deal with, and ye have the nerve to complain.

I missed said boom. Try an abundance of jobs 10 years ago and even ten not everyone was hired as permanent. My staffroom has quite few subs, temps and hoping for CID in their late 20s, early 30s. More than 5+ years teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wasn't very clear!

If you're temporary, you don't get paid for the 2 or 3 months of the summer. If you're permanent, you do.

Temporary workers not getting paid when they're not working? This too, is not abnormal I would have thought.

Advertisement