Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kissing on the cheeks as a greeting

Options
  • 25-10-2014 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Not the bum cheeks.

You know, like the continentals do. I can't ****ing stand it. A complete stranger kissing me on the face. Give me a firm hand shake any day.

What are your views on this abhorrent greeting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It's a cultural thing. Don't like it, stay holed up in Cavan all your life. Ce la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't have a problem with it.
    They don't actually kiss you,but they put there cheek to your cheek, twice maybe three times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

realies wrote: »
    Don't have a problem with it.
    They don't actually kiss you,but they put there cheek to your cheek, twice maybe three times...

Maybe four, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I only do it if im really drunk and she is really good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Saipanne wrote: »
    Not the bum cheeks.

You know, like the continentals do. I can't ****ing stand it. A complete stranger kissing me on the face. Give me a firm hand shake any day.

What are your views on this abhorrent greeting?

But you're OK with bum cheeks? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

But you're OK with bum cheeks? :p

Oh yeah.

Mena wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing. Don't like it, stay holed up in Cavan all your life. Ce la vie.

Guess again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My only issue is knowing how many kisses they're going for. Sometimes I've pulled away after two and they're like "No, it's three kisses in this region. Hahahahaha, silly Irish girl."*

*May be paraphrased :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'd rather two wet, sloppy cheek kisses than a weak assed handshake!

Some people are fcuking crap at handshakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not the bum cheeks

Thanks for clearing that one up.

• Advertisement

I'd rather two wet, sloppy cheek kisses than a weak assed handshake!

Some people are fcuking crap and handshakes.

That is true. A weak handshake is horrible. Like a hand, dissolving in yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My favourite is when people try to be cool and attempt an intricate "urban" hand greeting but they cant quite manage it and it just gets awkward.

My favourite is when people try to be cool and attempt an intricate "urban" hand greeting but they cant quite manage it and it just gets awkward.

Yeah. They never quite know when to pull away. This is why you can't beat the old classic handshake. None of this airy fairy Euro kissy crap. No hippity hoppity street bollix. Just good old fashioned Victorian sensibilities.

Yeah. They never quite know when to pull away. This is why you can't beat the old classic handshake. None of this airy fairy Euro kissy crap. No hippity hoppity street bollix. Just good old fashioned Victorian sensibilities.
    I usually just drop the hand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't mind the kisses, but as someone else pointed out it's sometimes not easy to tell just how many... one, two, three?
    Hugs are good as well.

Handshakes I find rather awkward. The only time I'd shake someone's hand would be when I go for a job interview.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I don't mind the kisses, but as someone else pointed out it's sometimes not easy to tell just how many... one, two, three?
    Hugs are good as well.

Handshakes I find rather awkward. The only time I'd shake someone's hand would be when I go for a job interview.
    But why would you hug someone you never met?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Just say Hello ffs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Maybe four, who knows.

It's defo 3. I kissed my French penpal twice on the cheek and she told me it has to be 3. She wasn't lying because she really didn't like me. Maybe because I was only a two timer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

But why would you hug someone you never met?

Why would you shake the hand of someone you never met?

Back home if you're being introduced to someone in a social setting (as in, among friends and family), you usually hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

It can get very awkward with the kisses when you go in for 2 and the other person is only expecting one. They are pulling away and you land one straight on their lips. This is especially awkward with relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I dislike it. Ridiculous affectation.
    I don't shake hands, either (unless someone offers their hand, and I am obliged to offer mine back, but I really prefer not to do it at all). A smile and a friendly greeting is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Three times is the done thing over here. Everyone I know has learned that I am too short and too repressed for that ****.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Lived in quite a few countries where that was the standard greeting - between men as well as women. Don't see an issue with it TBH. Always good to figure out the number of kisses and side to go to first though, saves on awkward moments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

mike_ie wrote: »
    Lived in quite a few countries where that was the standard greeting - between men as well as women. Don't see an issue with it TBH. Always good to figure out the number of kisses and side to go to first though, saves on awkward moments...

Like where you meet lips :o

Used to have a French uncle. Well he always said he was French :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

It's not just continental. Kissing one cheek is fairly common in Ireland, and has been all my life anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I certainly hope no one would greet me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's not just continental. Kissing one cheek is fairly common in Ireland, and has been all my life anyway.

Yes, my mum and all her sisters have been greeting like this for a long time. What seems to have happened is that we have lost our way to what was normally doen in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

People I know, absolutely fine!! Complete strangers..... Naaaah. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I remember going to mass when we were on holidays in Portugal when I was 9 and when it came to offering a sign of peace it was a big smacker on each cheek! I was horrified!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What about if the other person has a full grown beard?

Advertisement