Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Irish hotel you ever stayed in.

• 04-10-2014 1:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I don't get away often, I like to save up a have a decent hotel even if its for one night.
    Myself and the OH are in Killarney, there is a jucuzzi in our bedroom ( in the actual room, not bathroom) with a lovely view if the mountains out the window
    So tell us, your posh get aways....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Doom wrote: »
    I don't get away often, I like to save up a have a decent hotel even if its for one night.
    Myself and the OH are in Killarney, there is a jucuzzi in our bedroom ( in the actual room, not bathroom) with a lovely view if the mountains out the window

And you're posting on Boards :confused: Tut Tut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Had a posh w?nk once. Nice get away from the standard every now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Your obviously having a great time so..Since you have the time to post on here;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Chucken wrote: »
    And you're posting on Boards :confused: Tut Tut

Even stallions need a break....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

The slive donnard or any of the Hastings group.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

The facilities have been put to good use....I'm a night owl :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Europe hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Id be riding mad in the jacuzzi before i be posting on boards about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

The G in Galway is hard to beat ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Donegal

Lough Eske Castle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Premier inn Dublin airport.

When I stay there it means I'm going somewhere the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Premier inn Dublin airport.

When I stay there it means I'm going somewhere the next day.

If you camped in a tent at knock airport would you give it similar appraisal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you camped in a tent at knock airport would you give it similar appraisal?

Charlestown Airport you mean? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The Brehon in Killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hayfield Manor in Cork is easily the nicest hotel we've stayed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Caybar

Ashford castle

Lake Hotel, Killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Itd be a toss up between Premier Inn - Hotel St George - The Westin, all incrdable places, lovely rooms, relaxing and plenty of awesome movieage on tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Btw what hotel are you staying in in Kilkenny? Sounds nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

In my experience the 'best' facilities don't always equate to the 'best' hotel.

Best hotel I've stayed in is the Quality in Clonakilty - facilities are so-so (good gym) but the staff are brilliant - consistently the best I've met.

Wineport Lodge was probably the nicest in terms of location and rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

The Twelve in Barna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Killashee in Naas has to be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

Stayed in it a good few times now, had my wedding reception there also.

Heads up lads.... There's a bath in the middle of the bridal suite. (in case your bride stinks)

Powerscourt House Hotel. Just, wow. The most stunning hotel, room as big as a house, fantastic spa, and beautiful food.

The Four Seasons in dublin would be a close second (though I head it's not what it once was).

Other noteable mentions; Radisson Farnham Estate Cavan, Druids Glen Wicklow, Lyrath Estate in Wicklow for the cinema and breakfast, and brook lodge for the cosines and the food.

(I like food).

Best B&B Desmond House in Kinsale!

I really want to stay in Lough Eske. Have that on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Has to be either The Westbury in Dublin or Castlemartyer Estate Cork....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I found the G in Galway a great room but the service lacking the night we stayed.

Stayed in the marker in Dublin the night of the AI hurling replay last year and I found it to be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Anno Santo in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We are working our way thru the Bluebook. Not hotels in the strictest definition of the word, but a massive WOW factor.
    Highly recommended if you have a few quid to burn....or generous family at christmas time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Is it the Lake Hotel? Europe? I'm from Killarney and worked in a few of the hotels when I was in school/college. Only ever stayed in about 3 hotels in Ireland though...all pretty basic! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Castle martyr in cork and the europe in killarney are the two that blew me away. Think they are also rated one and two in the country afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Europe Hotel in Killarney is something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Is it the lake hotel?

I've stayed in the dunboyne castle hotel, that was nice.
    Will be staying in mount Juliet new years eve and I think that may be my winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't really like the Europe for some reason. It's a bit much. It doesn't seem very Irish or something (maybe because it's run by Germans). It's like being in a different country in there. Views are amazing, but something a bit off for me! Worked there with an agency once in the restaurant years ago...cleanest kitchen I've ever been in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I found the G in Galway a great room but the service lacking the night we stayed.

I've been there a good few times and the service has always been excellent. Things like that do put you off though. We thought Lyrath was lovely but we were really put off by all the screaming kids running around when we stayed there.

Best hotel that I've stayed in in terms of staff is a toss up between the Killarney Park and the Maryborough in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The Osprey in Naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Best - Cliff House Hotel.
    Name I'd like to get out there for just being brilliant - http://www.newforgehouse.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Never could understand paying out assloads of money for a very posh hotel.
    Adequate has always done me.
    A warm, quiet, clean room with a good comfortable bed and a good shower is a must though.
    Even if I won the lotto I doubt I'd alter much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Caybar wrote: »
    Ashford castle
    That may be one of the most luxurious hotels in the country but would it be the best?
    I mean the idea of having to wear a dinner jacket just to walk into a room, then you take it off is silly imo, plus getting a wagon wheel sized plate with a 3 inch slice of pork in the middle is silly, again imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara, no contest.

Was slightly appalled when I heard Denis O'Brien has bought it, but he's apparently sworn that he won't change it.

He'd better not :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Maples guest house ,Glasnevin ,Dublin .Suited me fine ,breakfast included.I only splurge on Hotels in Asia where you get great value and are treated like a king .

Any of the suites at Dromoland Castle, or the Princess Grace Suite at the Shelbourne Hotel, would be my own favourites. Really luxurious special feel )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Heading to The Shelbourne next saturday for the wife's birthday...will report back on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

kryogen wrote: »
    Donegal

Lough Eske Castle

Harvey's point at lough eske is nicer. The biggest hotel rooms (and beds) I've ever stayed in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Kilmurvey House (B&B, but still) on the Aran Islands was very nice. Haven't stayed in many Irish hotels.

I loved the lake hotel in kerry, and radisson farnham is amazing too.
    Wasn't pushed on druids glen
    Dying to go to monart and that 5* place in kerry and powerscourt R-C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

The Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The River Court hotel in Kilkenny with castle view rooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kelly's in Rosslare is superb - food, service, everything.

Honestly though - and no criticism of Kellys - I would rather have a few days in somewhere simpler but with character and interesting atmosphere and things to do. I really like the ringfort in the Irish National Heritage park for example...no service, basic accommodation and make your own food over an open fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

DLMA23 wrote: »
    The Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, Waterford

Fierce fancy that place. I had a mate who worked there put me up there when I was cycling from London to Kerry. I reckon they had a double think when my unwashed smelly self rocked in through the front door in cycle shorts. 20 minutes later I had my washing strung across the room. Made me smile. Nice brekkie as well. I even swiped the scones the people on the table next to me left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Fierce fancy that place. I had a mate who worked there put me up there when I was cycling from London to Kerry. I reckon they had a double think when my unwashed smelly self rocked in through the front door in cycle shorts. 20 minutes later I had my washing strung across the room. Made me smile. Nice brekkie as well. I even swiped the scones the people on the table next to me left behind.

Isn't your friend lucky :rolleyes: to have a friend like you!
    Honestly I cannot stand this type of bog Irish attitude.
    You couldn't just enjoy the hotel and be grateful to your friend, could you?
    No... you had to act the smart, cute hoor, entitled, "shure every loves us and will let us away with it", Paddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Kelly's in Rosslare, love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement