Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Wind blows away fossil power in the Nordics..."

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ireland should continue to expand wind farms.

Off shore is a good option, low noise and attracts marine growth attracting fish.

There should also be a small nuclear plant built to remove the need for imports of fossile fuels to power the existing plants.

Should something arise to prevent imports, or if the cost of imported fuel becomes super expensive, there would be the wind farms and nuclear power to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why isn't Europe more of a common energy market? Put the wind turbines where it's windy, the solar where it's sunny, and the nuclear where there's the skill and expertise? Then just sell power to each other. Build proper backbone energy inter-connectors, build many more pumped storage facilities to utilise otherwise wasted surplus in solar/wind/nuclear and use these to offset expensive Russian gas. Incinerators too should be a priority as waste management and secondary power generation.

The obsession of nations to each have a complete portfolio of power is a folly and should be discouraged for efficiency and safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Actually what happens in the real world is that both wind and nuclear are backedup by idling gas turbines because they can ramp up in seconds.

If a nuclear power plant has to be scramed because of a transformer failure , sensor failure or jellyfish* then you have very short window of time to get it back on line before xenon poisoning means you have to stay offline for at least three days.

Gas is about the only thing that can backup unpredictable nuclear. Korea , UK and Belgium currently have reactors offline for extended unplanned outages. I'd nearly say unpredictable but it's the same old story of nuclear industry cost cutting / mis management.

Gas turbines are cheap , but the fuel is expensive so every watt you can get out of wind results in less fuel to buy. Anyway here we have way loads of gas turbines already.

You can't mix wind and nuclear because the costs of nuclear mean you can't invest in wind too. You can't mix them because nuclear takes hours to change the power output up and down , and even then you need to design a different and slightly inefficient reactor. So even though you can forecast wind 5 days in advance, nuclear can't efficiently follow the load.

Our minimum demand is 1/3rd of peak demand and nuclear can't follow that change or even the difference between night and day

*Korea , UK, Sweden, South Africa, California, Florida and IIRC Japan.

Sure, gas is the most responsive and can change load profile quickly and easily. Of course you can use Nuclear and Wind power.....as per the French and Germans?!

You are incorrect about base v peak demand, peak is approx 40% more than base, not 200% more as you assert.

1.5GW of nuke in Ireland could run at full output all the time and not have to ramp up or down to meat the fluctuating demand curve.

What's required is a sensible mix of nuclear, thermal and renewables not just one in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd rather a badly built wind farm than nuclear plant. I like the idea of fusion but I wouldn't trust our government to oversee a nuclear plant properly. There was far too much cronyism during the boom to ensure good quality construction all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If decision makers are serious about reducing our dependence on fossil fuels then nuclear power should be seriously considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I vote for a Thorium Reactor

Lets experiment. Pop it in the "knowledge box"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the UK just for a day and due to a coincidence of factors, wind turbines produced more electricity than nuclear. It has to be one of major elements of future energy supplies. Like other technologies it will probably improve as time goes by. And offshore installations will not offend people as much as those on land.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29715796

The UK's wind farms generated more power than its nuclear power stations on Tuesday, the National Grid says.

The energy network operator said it was caused by a combination of high winds and faults in nuclear plants.

But for a 24-hour period yesterday, spinning blades produced more energy than splitting atoms.

Wind made up 14.2% of all generation and nuclear offered 13.2%.

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/1202906/rwe-innogy/sites/wind-offshore/under-construction/gwynt-y-mr/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Xios wrote: »
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/nordicpower-windfarm-idUSL6N0S530M20141015

I just don't understand why we're not the leading investor/innovators in wind energy, like just look at this wind map and compare the wind off our coasts with the wind on mainland europe and the nordics.
    Not sure that it's been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that Norway's renewables success has largely been built on subsidies provided by the money they get from their fossil fuel operations in the North Sea.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Nuclear reactors are cheaper, make less noise and produce way more energy. They've also become much safer over the past number of decades.

Then why has Japan shut down all of its nuke plants? Germany too?

I'll bet the farm that you wouldn't live within 50 miles of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Egginacup wrote: »
    Then why has Japan shut down all of its nuke plants? Germany too?

I'll bet the farm that you wouldn't live within 50 miles of one.

Populism in the case of Germany.

It's a huge blow to the fight against climate change.

Replacing all their nuclear plants with coal plants is reactionary, mindless, selfish nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Nuclear reactors are cheaper, make less noise and produce way more energy. They've also become much safer over the past number of decades.

Nuclear waste will never be safe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Well after a few million years it would be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Would I F**k trust anyone in any position of power linked to this government with nuclear powerstations. We'd be dead within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

As it stands coal power plants kill about 100,000 times more people than nuclear power plants do each year.

Is there a safer form of power generation than nuclear?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

False.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_waste
    It can range from a few days for very short-lived isotopes to millions of years if one choses to waste the unspent portions of "spent nuclear fuel".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr_Red wrote: »
    I vote for a Thorium Reactor

Lets experiment. Pop it in the "knowledge box"
    Oddly enough there's enough of them built and decommissioned to debunk the question of " why don't they build thorium reactors ?" The answer is they did and they had technical and economic problems

shipping port - very low conversion rate and lots of extra labour
    thtr-300 / avr - pebble bed reactors, which jammed
    and that one in the america mid-west that was converted to a gas power plant because of economics

thorium has been tried in reactors since the 1940's so the physics is well understood, a lifetime later and the engineers still haven't delivered the promise.

to get the thorium cycle working you need to breed a lot of extra fuel and breeder reactors aren't commercially viable, even though we've been doing it in multiple reactors since 1944

Advertisement