Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He is an excellent fielder but he isnt the type of lad who can take the point over his shoulder tbf. He probably doesnt give the same amount of time to hurling as he does to football. That said it would be unfair to single him out as the whole team were sloppy tonight apart from Breen. I thought Hamill wasnt too bad also. John Mcgrath looked in no way fit too play either.

To be fair also the fact he is juggling two different codes within two days is a factor.
    Perhaps and I don't think I was singling him out and tbh I don't think many were singling him out. IMO he shouldn't have played considering he has the football at the weekend and 2 high intensity games in short period is too much

Perhaps and I don't think I was singling him out and tbh I don't think many were singling him out. IMO he shouldn't have played considering he has the football at the weekend and 2 high intensity games in short period is too much

I wasnt accusing you or anyone else of. Im just playing devils advocat with my own argument. I tend to agree with you after tonight. The day of the dual player is dead and gone id say. In the old system perhaps it had a place but in a modern day system a crossroads probably has to be reached after minor

Xenophile wrote: »
    Having said that Tipp played too much of a tippy tappy game without being nearly direct enough. First goal for Limerick was a good example.

I take nothing from Limerick, Munster needs them up there, their minors were probably the better team on Sunday and they were robbed of time if nothing else!

I dont think their minors can have too much to complain of Sunday to be honest. Tipp wanted it more on the day and were victim to some absolutely dreadful calls.

I agree with you completely on the highlighted part though. Far too guilty of overplaying it. Our touch was off tonight and John Mcgrath didnt look any way match fit. Surely Sam Conlan could have been given a run?

I wasnt accusing you or anyone else of. Im just playing devils advocat with my own argument. I tend to agree with you after tonight. The day of the dual player is dead and gone id say. In the old system perhaps it had a place but in a modern day system a crossroads probably has to be reached after minor
    I know you weren't accusing me,
    Im not sure on day of dual player being over. When guys are finished age grade and third level there is still the possibilities of combining both but that will be rare. Maybe after minor but it will depend on individual cases and what each player has to play in terms of club(strength of their club sides etc), 3rd level(same as club)

Is there a bit of a Mexican standoff developing between hurling and football management?

Riordan played the full 70 the other day despite the game being all but over at half time. No need for it whatsoever. The players welfare completely lost in the madness. And i wouldnt say it is one side. If the boot was on the other side the hurlers would have probably done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This tipping and tapping the ball when coming out of the defence has to stop. It's slowly getting into our game at all levels. Paudie Maher gave an exhibition of it at the weekend, I lost count of the amount of times he lost possession or gave a hospital pass!

Any defender in space with the ball let it into the forwards, don't try to flick it over your shoulder to a player 5 yards away. Almost cost us on Sunday and arguably cost us tonight. Kilkenny would slaughter us if tried that. By all means a hand pass to a player in a better position but this flicking doesn't suit us and it's easy to become too lackadaisical in possession.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

P Maher picked up a shoulder injury early- AC joint - which contributed towards his poor distribution

P Maher picked up a shoulder injury early- AC joint - which contributed towards his poor distribution

Why the hell didnt the manager take him off? Madness. Ok to be fair it would have given Waterford a gee up, but surely at some stage player welfare has to come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely should have been taken off then. Liability at the back if he was that badly injured.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd imagine P Maher is in a senior position now where he dicates whether he is fit enough to go on... - But, in saying that taking him off would have been huge for Waterford. Plus a one-armed Paudie is better than most of our reserves...He has a massive presence and is our leader in the backs.

As with my earlier posts - consensus seems to be he needs three to four weeks to recover

• Advertisement

I know it's easy to say now but I didn't expect Tipp to win tonight.

Connolly doesn't impress me. Neither does Liam Cahill with the minors. Good honest men but do not possess the tactical nous to be inter-county managers... - do we want to use these position to bring on managers or players? Or both? I just wonder what selection process goes on - what's taken into account by the county board...

We'll struggle to get a player out of that starting 15 for senior level - apart from R. Maher, Breen, and J. McGrath who had already advanced beyond this level.

But, winning is not everything at this level - it's about bringing on players to perform at senior - getting a taste for winning is great. But, players must be improved - winning does not guarantee improvement as we've seen with alot of underage success in Galway and Limerick. Looking at some of the decision making, passing, and shot-selection tonight - was baffling - choosing to pass ball across the field in the half and full back line...sometimes across opposition players - you'd be savaged at any decent club for that kind of that...

That save form the Limerick Keeper was top drawer stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn8YdExMx2g

That save form the Limerick Keeper was top drawer stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn8YdExMx2g

That in fairness, was a savage save. It hit a wet ground just before the goalie saved it, was hit low with power, and the goalie had too go full stretch.

John Mcgraths made it too easy for him in the first half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hard luck tonight lads, ye'll hardly begrudge us that one after beating us the minor & hammering us in the senior.

To be quite honest, I thought ye were bad in the first half. Touch was way off, players fumbling balls, etc- Conditions didn't help, no doubt, but you'd still expect a lot better. But just before the break, ye tightened up and started winning a lot of breaking ball that had been going our way. I thought Heffernan & Maher were very good, Heffernan in particular was superb. O'Riordan got two goals despite not having his best game.

Ye have some serious players there but I'm not sure your forwards in general were a good enough unit and ye hit a lot of bad wides.

So did we tbh, and after we went 12 points up, that should have been it. In the end, we were a bit lucky, I was sure ye were going to do it but Colin Ryan in particular made a huge difference from the bench. Ye already have a good few seniors from that team, I expect a few of them might step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Tipp may have won the minor in 2012 but changes over three years can be huge...
    demands on players at u21 are so different... the dual player issue can be looked at. should how the guys who want to play both be looked at differently?

When you say "he doesn't have the hurling in him" what would you have done differently? Were some of our key guys looking slightly over cooked? As they did to me. As in trying to do too much... How do we change that so the players have better, their teams do better as a result etc
    O Riordan clearly is a very good hurler but most likely this weekends game for footballers would have been on his mind

He looked like a footballer playing hurling. There was no fluidity, no natural flair in his striking of the ball. I had read on this thread about how talented this guy was. I couldn't believe how poor a hurler he was. I know nothing about his footballing ability.

TYRONE (SFQ v Tipperary): Niall Morgan; Aidan McCrory, Ronan McNamee, Cathal McCarron; Ronan McNabb, Joe McMahon, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Matthew Donnelly; Tiernan McCann, Mark Bradley, Rory Brennan; Darren McCurry, Seán Cavanagh (capt.), Connor McAliskey. Subs: Seán Fox, Mark Bradley, Conor Clarke, Richard Donnelly, Peter Hughes, Danny McBride, Conall McCann, Pádraig McNulty, Cathal McShane, Conor Meyler, Ronan O’Neill, Barry Tierney.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hard luck tonight lads, ye'll hardly begrudge us that one after beating us the minor & hammering us in the senior.

To be quite honest, I thought ye were bad in the first half. Touch was way off, players fumbling balls, etc- Conditions didn't help, no doubt, but you'd still expect a lot better. But just before the break, ye tightened up and started winning a lot of breaking ball that had been going our way. I thought Heffernan & Maher were very good, Heffernan in particular was superb. O'Riordan got two goals despite not having his best game.

Ye have some serious players there but I'm not sure your forwards in general were a good enough unit and ye hit a lot of bad wides.

So did we tbh, and after we went 12 points up, that should have been it. In the end, we were a bit lucky, I was sure ye were going to do it but Colin Ryan in particular made a huge difference from the bench. Ye already have a good few seniors from that team, I expect a few of them might step up.
    I think there is quite a few guys who will go on and play senior but didnt see much at all from Heffernan and certainly wasn't very good. IMO he was off the pace and lackadaisical in his movement for large parts of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I know it's easy to say now but I didn't expect Tipp to win tonight.

Connolly doesn't impress me. Neither does Liam Cahill with the minors. Good honest men but do not possess the tactical nous to be inter-county managers... - do we want to use these position to bring on managers or players? Or both? I just wonder what selection process goes on - what's taken into account by the county board...

We'll struggle to get a player out of that starting 15 for senior level - apart from R. Maher, Breen, and J. McGrath who had already advanced beyond this level.

But, winning is not everything at this level - it's about bringing on players to perform at senior - getting a taste for winning is great. But, players must be improved - winning does not guarantee improvement as we've seen with alot of underage success in Galway and Limerick. Looking at some of the decision making, passing, and shot-selection tonight - was baffling - choosing to pass ball across the field in the half and full back line...sometimes across opposition players - you'd be savaged at any decent club for that kind of that...

I spoke to a friend who played U21 for a few years when Connolly was selector, he said he's all "hard hurling" talk but had no real tactical understanding for the game. He was shocked to see him get the U21 job in 2014. Cahill is also meant to be cut from a similar cloth.

That's what I've heard too...

And, the proof is in the pudding...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think there is quite a few guys who will go on and play senior but didnt see much at all from Heffernan and certainly wasn't very good. IMO he was off the pace and lackadaisical in his movement for large parts of the game

I just watched the game back and have realised a lot of what I thought was good by Heffernan was actually Ronan Maher. Breen also had a serious game, although his indiscretion at the end was probably deserving of a red card.

Some really bad shooting from the likes of Bill Maher in the second half, definitely cost ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

citykat wrote: »
    He looked like a footballer playing hurling. There was no fluidity, no natural flair in his striking of the ball. I had read on this thread about how talented this guy was. I couldn't believe how poor a hurler he was. I know nothing about his footballing ability.

I think that is what he has been this year. With the football U21 and seniors going so well this year I cant imagine he has played much hurling. His athleticism and determination and heart last night was excellent but his hurling touch looked quite a bit off. I have seen him hurl much better though. I don't think you can turn it on at county level though if you are not also training to an extent at that level.

Tipperary

1. Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    2. Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow)
    3. Paddy Codd (Captain) (Killenaule)
    4. Jimmy Feehan (Killenaule)
    5. Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    6. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
    7. Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers)
    8. Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    9. Martin Dunne (Moyle Rovers)
    10. Brian Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    11. Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)
    12. Liam Casey (Cahir)
    13. Kevin O’Halloran (Portroe)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)
    15. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Tipperary

1. Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    2. Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow)
    3. Paddy Codd (Captain) (Killenaule)
    4. Jimmy Feehan (Killenaule)
    5. Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    6. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
    7. Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers)
    8. Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    9. Martin Dunne (Moyle Rovers)
    10. Brian Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    11. Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)
    12. Liam Casey (Cahir)
    13. Kevin O’Halloran (Portroe)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)
    15. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)

Martin Dunne is an interesting selection , in instead of Ger Mulhair . Stylish Player but very light , wouldn`t have the same Physical presence as Mulhair !

Picking someone with a pass to unlock the Tyrone defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

What ever happened to Maloney from Rockwell rovers

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

What ever happened to Maloney from Rockwell rovers

Suffered a bad leg break couple of years ago , hasn`t been on the Panel since he recovered . On the Intermediate Hurley Panel this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just flicked on Sky Sports there. Is Liam Casey not starting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just flicked on Sky Sports there. Is Liam Casey not starting now?

O'Brien has started, doesn't seem right at all though and will likely have to go off before too long.

Robbie Kiely is in for Jimmy Feehan at left corner-back, Steven O'Brien replaces Martin Dunne at midfield and Ger Mulhair comes in for Liam Casey in the half-forwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big Ears wrote: »
    O'Brien has started, doesn't seem right at all though and will likely have to go off before too long.

Hate that O'Brien shouldn't have been starting in the first place just getting passed fit at the last minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement