Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

In fairness, first time i've heard of the site or any of the events but have to say its a great idea. Obviously they could have a lot more going on but tis a start.

I'd say a few business or pubs will have their own events going on closer to D-Day Xmas day, so we can expect a bit more.

All in all, alot of people have and will just shop in limerick, free parking, more stores, later opening hours.... it's a given really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

whats up with indicators on the roundabouts as well?

In fairness, first time i've heard of the site or any of the events but have to say its a great idea. Obviously they could have a lot more going on but tis a start.

I'd say a few business or pubs will have their own events going on closer to D-Day Xmas day, so we can expect a bit more.

All in all, alot of people have and will just shop in limerick, free parking, more stores, later opening hours.... it's a given really :rolleyes:

Yeah but what stores? Look at Dooradoyle-
    HMV = Xtravision/gamestop
    Bookshop=Easons and the Bookshop is crap in limerick
    All phones shops there are here
    nicer food places here

The only thing in Limerick thats better is clothes shops. Limerick city centre is crap for shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Downtown over the weekend

Summerhill is looking even more run down then usual :(

And still nothing done with the old army barracks.
    Nearly a decade ago they were talking about building a business park with modern offices and that was before the Celtic Tiger. And also preserve some of the grounds to make it interesting.

It's a great site and just laying idle. Well it may be another decade before anyone looks at it again

mrsR2011 wrote: »
    railway bar (not sure if its still open)

Yep, as said that place hasn't been open is about a decade now.
    It's not a bad location, just the end of Kenyon St and it used to do good business. I'm not sure what went wrong and why nobody will give it a go
    jprboy wrote: »
    That tiny place is Una Powell's. She sold it a few years ago but the new owners kept the name AFAIK.

I will visit one day
    Just from the outside it look like there in room for about ten customers standing.
    I assume there is more room out the back. Otherwise it must be going for smallest pub in Ireland

• Advertisement

Anybody notice that new 'old time sweet shop' on Kenyon st beside Hungry Harry's (frydays)?

Only spotted it Monday, didnt see nor hear anything about it prior. Oh and and they're looking for staff too, drop a CV into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Anybody notice that new 'old time sweet shop' on Kenyon st beside Hungry Harry's (frydays)?

Only spotted it Monday, didnt see nor hear anything about it prior. Oh and and they're looking for staff too, drop a CV into them.

I've noticed a new one in Cork too, and there was one in Clonmel until recently. They seem to be a fairly new phenomenon.

Tremelo wrote: »
    I've noticed a new one in Cork too, and there was one in Clonmel until recently. They seem to be a fairly new phenomenon.

One in Limerick awhile too (Mr. Simms). Guess I can say goodbye to my teeth.

In other news, ended up in Maximus New years eve and to my surprise, it wasn't similar to a cattle mart. Had room to breath :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    whats up with indicators on the roundabouts as well?

Do you mean the lack of indicator use by motorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I will visit one day
    Just from the outside it look like there in room for about ten customers standing.
    I assume there is more room out the back. Otherwise it must be going for smallest pub in Ireland

Una Powell's - Yes, a few years since I was there but they had a covered area at the back which was a bit rough and ready but it was pretty busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Nenagh is a town that is going nowhere pretty fast i'm afraid. The life blood is been sucked out of it with Tesco,Lidle,Aldi(going in where supervalue was by all accounts),Boots are coming in as well and will finish off all the chemists(too many anyways).

I know, i know it's good for jobs, but not in the right way, if you know what i mean. Impossible for local business to grow.

Also there is very little in Nenagh, if we take Thurles which is only over the road for e.g, semple stadium,greyhound track,horse track and a third level college just to name a few.

Also the drinking scene is very quiet, apart from a few pubs or the kenyon at 11 o clock on a sat night, i know ppl have less money and all that but imo it has alot to do with the worryingly amount of 20-40 year old's who have packed their bags for Oz, Canada etc. I think it's fair to say everybody in nenagh know's not just 1 but a load of ppl who have up'd sticks.

Sorry for been all doom and gloom but it's the reality of living in nenagh.

Nenagh is a town that is going nowhere pretty fast i'm afraid. The life blood is been sucked out of it with Tesco,Lidle,Aldi(going in where supervalue was by all accounts),Boots are coming in as well and will finish off all the chemists(too many anyways).

I know, i know it's good for jobs, but not in the right way, if you know what i mean. Impossible for local business to grow.

Also there is very little in Nenagh, if we take Thurles which is only over the road for e.g, semple stadium,greyhound track,horse track and a third level college just to name a few.

Also the drinking scene is very quiet, apart from a few pubs or the kenyon at 11 o clock on a sat night, i know ppl have less money and all that but imo it has alot to do with the worryingly amount of 20-40 year old's who have packed their bags for Oz, Canada etc. I think it's fair to say everybody in nenagh know's not just 1 but a load of ppl who have up'd sticks.

Sorry for been all doom and gloom but it's the reality of living in nenagh.

That is I'm afraid the reality of living in small towns in Ireland. Tesco et al are terrible for towns. Good for low paid jobs, bad for town center and for small businesses. Butchers, homeward, electronic, food, pubs, off license, entertainment stores, etc. all up against a competitor that doesn't have to worry about prices.
    Jobs created is an illusion as well. How many people there are from Nenagh? There's a few from Roscrea and Thurles. That don't live in town so won't spend their money in town.
    I didn't know boots where coming. That's about 6 local shop under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I wish people would realise that Aldi & Lidl don't threaten small businesses as much as they take away some of the customers from the likes of Dunnes & Tesco, who have already shut down the mid-sized family run supermarkets like O'Connors. I mostly shop in Tesco and Aldi. If there was an Aldi in Nenagh, I'd do 100% of my shopping in the town. Instead I have to trek in to Limerick and end up doing any other business I need to do there too. I'd much prefer to do my shopping in Nenagh than Limerick - traffic is easier to handle and there are plenty of good quality small shops in the town that are all within walking distance of each other. When you've kids in tow, being able to park up just once or twice is a huge factor. I did most of my Christmas shopping online but what I did buy in the shops I got in Nenagh. It's not a bad town, it just needs a couple more big names to lure people in from the hinterland.

'It's a euro cheaper in tesco, let's get it there.'
    I've heard a good few times over the years. Tesco do petrol in other towns. Tesco is bad for business.

Town centre is dying and it's dead and depressing up around Summerhill

Anyone ever visit the Heritage Centre? It's fantastic, a real credit to the town. You can even visit the condemned cells and they have a wax statue of a man getting tied up before being led out. Realy good but it's badly advertised and I doubt many even know about.
    They could even renovate the old jail, do something with it and open up the old tunnel that went from the jail to the courthouse if the court is not in session. I'd pay as a tourist to see that even if as a local :)

Yeah Boots may be coming but tbh, Nenagh doesn't lack for chemists. There must be some money in that game if there are so many still going

Can the welfare office find a new office? Sure the council have fantastic new offices on Limerick Rd which cost twenty seven million, no expense spared. Surely there is office space in town somewhere?

The welfare office is tiny and it's humiliating to have people queing out in the wind and rain and all the students looking at them as they pass by
    Maybe this makes no sense, I just think it's a bit sad :(

Never even heard of the heritage centre :confused: where is it located??

The town has a lot of potential, they just need to get thier arse in gear and do something about it.

Oh ya, there beside the courthouse. Didnt realise you could actually head in there, assumed it was part of the courthouse property.

They turned the governors building into a school last century so you can see what an old classroom looked like

Has a big stick too :eek:

Right underneath the statue inside the gate there are stairs leading up to the condemed cells
    And they have displays on the walls about capital punishment and about being transported to Van Dieman's Land as it was known back then

Realy needs to be advertised better

Actually sounds half decent, remember going to the old prison in Wicklow town and it was class. Must check it out some weekend, assuming it's free in yea?

• Advertisement

Free alright, probably best to ring ahead to check they're open if you're heading in

067 33850

Cheers bud, should get onto them about advertising more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Town centre is dying and it's dead and depressing up around Summerhill

Anyone ever visit the Heritage Centre? It's fantastic, a real credit to the town. You can even visit the condemned cells and they have a wax statue of a man getting tied up before being led out. Realy good but it's badly advertised and I doubt many even know about.
    They could even renovate the old jail, do something with it and open up the old tunnel that went from the jail to the courthouse if the court is not in session. I'd pay as a tourist to see that even if as a local :)

Yeah Boots may be coming but tbh, Nenagh doesn't lack for chemists. There must be some money in that game if there are so many still going

Can the welfare office find a new office? Sure the council have fantastic new offices on Limerick Rd which cost twenty seven million, no expense spared. Surely there is office space in town somewhere?

The welfare office is tiny and it's humiliating to have people queing out in the wind and rain and all the students looking at them as they pass by
    Maybe this makes no sense, I just think it's a bit sad :(

Hi Folks,

I had the pleasure of viewing this old tunnel last March.

If you walk around to the back of the courthouse there is a stairs that leads down to part of the tunnel.

Chat nicely to the caretaker of the courthouse (Tony the REF ), if you're from Nenagh you'll know who that is.

He opened the gates and let me walk the tunnel and pointed out where you could see on the cut stone the different standards of workmanship of the stonemasons.

Once you get under the courthouse you can actually look through a portcullis and see one of the main floors of the courthouse.

In times past this tunnel ran to the Gaol to bring prisoners directly to the court.

He also alluded to the fact that it also continued towards the old military barracks in Summerhill as an escape route for Judges in case of unpopular decisions.

I also concur that the Heritage centre is well worth a visit and I think they can now do genealogy research there for you too.

Is there a computer repair guy/gal around town anymore? There used to be a guy down by the back of Joey O'Connors, is he still around?

Need to price a repair on my cracked laptop screen :cool:

Hi Folks,

I had the pleasure of viewing this old tunnel last March.

If you walk around to the back of the courthouse there is a stairs that leads down to part of the tunnel.

Chat nicely to the caretaker of the courthouse (Tony the REF ), if you're from Nenagh you'll know who that is.

He opened the gates and let me walk the tunnel and pointed out where you could see on the cut stone the different standards of workmanship of the stonemasons.

Once you get under the courthouse you can actually look through a portcullis and see one of the main floors of the courthouse.

In times past this tunnel ran to the Gaol to bring prisoners directly to the court.

He also alluded to the fact that it also continued towards the old military barracks in Summerhill as an escape route for Judges in case of unpopular decisions.

I also concur that the Heritage centre is well worth a visit and I think they can now do genealogy research there for you too.

Very, very interesting

Though he's having a laugh with Summerhill :D

The genealogy center there is well established and going years and from what I've heard they do a great job
    Is there a computer repair guy/gal around town anymore? There used to be a guy down by the back of Joey O'Connors, is he still around?

Need to price a repair on my cracked laptop screen :cool:

Not sure if he's around anymore

Page twelve of the Guardian has a guy advertising, maybe give him a buzz

You can read the Guardian online
    http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

Found it and rang him, a nice fella, said it'd be about 200-300 to fix as its outside the warranty.

Thanks though Mike

Very, very interesting

Though he's having a laugh with Summerhill :D

The genealogy center there is well established and going years and from what I've heard they do a great job

Not sure if he's around anymore

the guys in cecil walk are quite good irish computing i think they are called

the guys in cecil walk are quite good irish computing i think they are called

Found them, Irish Computers based in Cecils Walk. Will try them in awhile, cheers mate.

Never heard of them before, any ideas how long they've been around?

Found them, Irish Computers based in Cecils Walk. Will try them in awhile, cheers mate.

Never heard of them before, any ideas how long they've been around?

At least a year and a half as far as I know.

• Advertisement

At least a year and a half as far as I know.

Are they in there instead of Moynans bike shop?? Amount of times I've walked through that area (drunk) and never took notice of 'em.

Advertisement