Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay electricity meters

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is any help, but I have an electric Ireland metre, there are now no arrears left on the bill, so I am not required to pre pay.

I asked if I could switch, they said yes they would just supply me with a code to bypass the meter.

It was one of the conditions of supplying the meter that one the arrears were gone I could just have a normal meter.

Thanks for that. Did they supply the meter do an accumulation of arrears or was it your decision to install it? It might have a different outcome for both scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

So I rang Electric Ireland and asked about using the code to bypass the meters. This can be done for electricity but not for gas. Elec Ire took no responsibility for the gas meter because Bord Gais would have to remove it at a cost of almost €200.

Where the hell do I stand now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

yopy wrote: »
    So I rang Electric Ireland and asked about using the code to bypass the meters. This can be done for electricity but not for gas. Elec Ire took no responsibility for the gas meter because Bord Gais would have to remove it at a cost of almost €200.

Where the hell do I stand now?!

Maybe talk nicely to BG and tell them you'll switch back to them on a 12-18 month contract if they take the meter out.
    Also you could check if an RGI man could take it out or disconnect it. I'm sure it wouldn't cost €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

emeldc wrote: »
    Maybe talk nicely to BG and tell them you'll switch back to them on a 12-18 month contract if they take the meter out.
    Also you could check if an RGI man could take it out or disconnect it. I'm sure it wouldn't cost €200.

Bord Gais Energy are a supplier just like Electric Ireland and Energia. They did not fit the meter. It was Bord Gais Networks. In reality OP, you will have to pay the money to get the meter removed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

yopy wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did they supply the meter do an accumulation of arrears or was it your decision to install it? It might have a different outcome for both scenarios.

It wasn't my decision to install it, they arrived to cut me off unless I paid what was owed. , this was the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It wasn't my decision to install it, they arrived to cut me off unless I paid what was owed. , this was the only option.
    Ah here...

Advertisement