Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay electricity meters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

Sparksfly who is your energy supplier?
    Is it possible to install Energy monitor with Board gais.
    Would like to buy Owl Micro + Plus Electricity Monitor.
    It is only €43.

Prepay power is charging €11,65/month what is €139year
    €139 big prize for a energy monitor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Energy monitors can be installed with any electric supplier, you just clamp the sensor onto the wire going into the meter and this transmits to to your monitoring unit,

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭geoweb2k14

Prepay power charge .37c per day x 30 days is 10.10 per month. Do the maths before assumptions.

Prepay power charge .37c per day x 30 days is 10.10 per month. Do the maths before assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

geoweb2k14 wrote: »

Which assumptions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

€136.71 per year = €0.3745/day or €11.39/month

foggy_lad wrote: »
    €136.71 per year = €0.3745/day or €11.39/month

Spot on foggy but people don't seem to realise that they pay this charge on a normal monthly bill coming through the door.

Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say. Not all months have 30 days. It's the annual charge that matters. Are you confirming that they are expensive or trying to say they are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Spot on foggy but people don't seem to realise that they pay this charge on a normal monthly bill coming through the door.

People with a monthly bill don't pay the prepayment service charge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Only people using prepaid elec pay this prepay meter fee.

"Normal" bills don't include this 137 euro annual fee.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say. Not all months have 30 days. It's the annual charge that matters. Are you confirming that they are expensive or trying to say they are not?

Yes in reality they are expensive I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the standard ESB/Electric Ireland standing charge which works out at around €119.84 per year. Then there is the Prepay Power additional standing charge of €136.71. This is Prepay Power's margin

http://www.bonkers.ie/boards/gas-electricity/prepay-power-standing-charges/309/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

NO WE DON'T!

That charge is ON TOP OF the standing charges and other mandatory charges and you are not allowed chose any different price plan that will give you much cheaper electricity!

two customers with meters using exactly the same amount of electricity, one with an electric ireland meter and one on prepay power, the prepay power customer will pay a lot more per year/month/week for their electricity!

the standard ESB/Electric Ireland standing charge which works out at around €119.84 per year. Then there is the Prepay Power additional standing charge of €136.71. This is Prepay Power's margin

That's good clarity saw and simply clears up a lot of confusion. Cheers

That's good clarity saw and simply clears up a lot of confusion. Cheers

Yes in reality they are expensive I suppose

Then I still don't get what your post was saying. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Someone in my family has one of these and contract is just up. Shes keen to have it out asap. I warned her a year ago that how could you possibly think that someone would install and rate your service at no middlem an charge...i mean its not like you would treat yourself to some extra electricity and restrict it other times. Anyway, she wants out now.
    Anyone know what she has to do? Anyone been through the process? What are turnaround times and costs associated?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Someone in my family has one of these and contract is just up. Shes keen to have it out asap. I warned her a year ago that how could you possibly think that someone would install and rate your service at no middlem an charge...i mean its not like you would treat yourself to some extra electricity and restrict it other times. Anyway, she wants out now.
    Anyone know what she has to do? Anyone been through the process? What are turnaround times and costs associated?

Thanks

First, make absolutely certain that she is out of contract.
    Then contact any of the other suppliers and sign up to switch. You can do a price comparison on bonkers.ie. SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO NOTIFY PPP TO DO THIS.
    Only Keep a small amount of credit on the meter until the changeover. If you have a lot of credit, I'm not sure how you get it back.
    PPP will make arrangements to remove the meter after the switch. You should not have to pay for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

That is great news. Thanks for that folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would highly recommend paying the 5 euro for a paper bill to prove that you paid in full for all electricity used during the contact, following on from the other ppp thread.

if you don't do this and ppp decide you still owe money for whatever reason, you have no proof of what you paid except for the meter.

Can you link the other thread. Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168623
    You have 2 meters.

You still have your ESB meter which is read regularly by ESB Networks, these readings are passed to PPP.

You then have the PPP budget controller which is connected to your consumer unit.

The ESB never come to you asking for money. PPP check the readings from ESB and compare them to what credit the consumer has purchased. If there is a huge discrepancy it may indicate issues of the electricity usage being underpaid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89785153&postcount=40

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Martina82

If it looks too good to be true......

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

Old thread but same issue..

I just bought a house that has a prepaid electricity and a prepaid gas meter with Electric Ireland. I obviously don't want them but they want to charge €200 each to remove them!!

As I never had a contract with them, what are my rights? Is there a regulator I can contact?

I called Energia and tried to switch but they said Elec Ireland will need to take them out! I can't afford €400 after buying a house in Dublin!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yopy wrote: »
    Old thread but same issue..

I just bought a house that has a prepaid electricity and a prepaid gas meter with Electric Ireland. I obviously don't want them but they want to charge €200 each to remove them!!

As I never had a contract with them, what are my rights? Is there a regulator I can contact?

I called Energia and tried to switch but they said Elec Ireland will need to take them out! I can't afford €400 after buying a house in Dublin!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have no contract with either. Just switch providers. You dont even have to notify them of the switch. The new providers will do that.

Edit: A tenant of mine had no problem switching from pre pay to another provider. Don't know what Energia are going on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

emeldc wrote: »
    You have no contract with either. Just switch providers. You dont even have to notify them of the switch. The new providers will do that.

Energia told me that I couldn't switch though.. That I need to have them removed by Elec Ireland.. Do you think this is incorrect?

I'm not sure if this is any help, but I have an electric Ireland metre, there are now no arrears left on the bill, so I am not required to pre pay.

I asked if I could switch, they said yes they would just supply me with a code to bypass the meter.

It was one of the conditions of supplying the meter that one the arrears were gone I could just have a normal meter.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is any help, but I have an electric Ireland metre, there are now no arrears left on the bill, so I am not required to pre pay.

I asked if I could switch, they said yes they would just supply me with a code to bypass the meter.

It was one of the conditions of supplying the meter that one the arrears were gone I could just have a normal meter.

^^ this sounds right

Advertisement