Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping grave diggers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Deminiman

A little advice needed please - a friend mine told me that it is customary to give a tip to a grave digger. Where I am the undertaker pays the grave digger. Has anyone come across this practise? How much would a reasonable tip be?

In some areas it is customary to give a bottle of whiskey/brandy, or 100 cigarettes I've seen also. Your undertaker will let you know anyway if you ask. It would be nice to give something if you had it to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Much more than €200 in some places.

From the Tipperary Star in 2008, probably more now.

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/thurles-estimates-briefs-1-2267403

The charge for opening and filling in graves ranges from E475.00 to E750.00

I can't find where I saw the charges listed before, but it costs more at weekends and public holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Much more than €200 in some places.

From the Tipperary Star in 2008, probably more now.

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/thurles-estimates-briefs-1-2267403

I can't find where I saw the charges listed before, but it costs more at weekends and public holidays.
    That would more than cover their costs, sounds very expensive to me. The undertaker takes care of all the bills around here and charges the customer I wonder do they mark up prices here and there?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

I use to dig graves with another man for years , just using picks and shovels and spades, we never got any tips ,we got paid for our work and were happy with that , so no need to tip anyone unless you want to .We got paid 100 each for old graves and 150 each for new graves .The new graves you would earn every cent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

That would more than cover their costs, sounds very expensive to me. The undertaker takes care of all the bills around here and charges the customer I wonder do they mark up prices here and there?

I always find posts like this strange, do you know exactly what the costs associated with a job are? Do you know how much the repayments on a digger are? Do you know how much insurance costs are? Transport costs? Do you know value a service provider puts on a days labour? If not, how do you know if €200 covers the costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

davo10 wrote: »
    Srameen a quick google of "grave digging regulations" shows there are health &safety guidelines and certification required for grave diggers in county council run graveyards. In fact a scan of the articles seems to show that undertakers can only engage the services of diggers who have that certification. Mad isn't it?

You are right, €200 is €200 whether it's gross or net, but payment due is payment due regardless of the circumstances.

County council run graveyards. By no means the majority of graveyards so. Of course co co graveyards are different. In fact in the town near us the gravediggers are council employees with their own council diggers. But again only one graveyard among dozens in the county.

County council run graveyards. By no means the majority of graveyards so. Of course co co graveyards are different. In fact in the town near us the gravediggers are council employees with their own council diggers. But again only one graveyard among dozens in the county.

Who owns the majority of grave yards? Who do you pay to buy a plot?

From Citizens Advice Website:

Burial grounds (cemeteries) in Ireland are the responsibility of the local authorities, who operate many of them and appoint a registrar or caretaker for each of their burial ground to manage the sale of plots in that site, and in some cases to maintain the burial ground. Parishes operate some burial grounds

I always find posts like this strange, do you know exactly what the costs associated with a job are? Do you know how much the repayments on a digger are? Do you know how much insurance costs are? Transport costs? Do you know value a service provider puts on a days labour? If not, how do you know if €200 covers the costs?

You find my post strange then ask 20 questions when you could have asked with one. Owning and operating farm machinery and diggers I know very well the costs involved. €200 is what was said they charge on here if it doesn't pay just up the charge.

You find my post strange then ask 20 questions when you could have asked with one. Owning and operating farm machinery and diggers I know very well the costs involved. €200 is what was said they charge on here if it doesn't pay just up the charge.

You said €200 should cover the costs, ok my one question is, do you know how much the costs are? And my next question would be, if you do know, can you give us a breakdown to validate your statement that the costs are covered?

I find it strange as you don't work in the industry, that you sure that €200 should cover all costs and that in fact you feel that €200 is on the expensive side. Assuming the grave opener charges for a days labour with costs on top, I don't see how you would know whether €200 covers it or not.

Another poster said he dug it by hand with another person, they are paid €100 - €150 each and that they earn every cent.

• Advertisement

You said €200 should cover the costs, ok my one question is, do you know how much the costs are? And my next question would be, if you do know, can you give us a breakdown to validate your statement that the costs are covered?

Ok you are being childish now. A poster put up a link where gravedigging costs are between 475 and 750 I said those prices would more than cover the cost.

Who owns the majority of grave yards? Who do you pay to buy a plot?

From Citizens Advice Website:

Burial grounds (cemeteries) in Ireland are the responsibility of the local authorities, who operate many of them and appoint a registrar or caretaker for each of their burial ground to manage the sale of plots in that site, and in some cases to maintain the burial ground. Parishes operate some burial grounds
    I'm not sure what your issue is but most graveyards are parish owned and operated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Around here the neighbours dig the grave and a bottle of whisky is brought down when at the job.

On the day of the burial they are given the dinner afterwards.

I'm not sure what your issue is but most graveyards are parish owned and operated.

My issue is, according to the info above most grave yards are the responsibity of local authorities, you said that "by no means" is this the case, in order to work there as grave openers with diggers training/certification and insurance is needed, you contended in an earlier post that it was not needed.

My issue is, according to the info above most grave yards are the responsibity of local authorities, you said that "by no means" is this the case, in order to work there as grave openers with diggers training/certification and insurance is needed, you contended in an earlier post that it was not needed.

Look, read the post I quoted and my reply. My point was that the certification etc is " by no means" widespread. The quoted piece maintained it was a standard, which it plainly is not.
    But I'm done here as you seem to just want to nitpick.

Advertisement