Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

J o e wrote: »
    Any advice for finding accommodation for a group of 10? Everything in Killarney seems to be booked up already so I'm guessing we'll have to look at a nearby town.

Pack a tent or hire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Really new to cycling, as in only started in January, is it too much to think I could do the ROK? Only up as far as 60k so far, any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

FP15 wrote: »
    Really new to cycling, as in only started in January, is it too much to think I could do the ROK? Only up as far as 60k so far, any advice appreciated.

Not at all. It's not 180kms all together. It's killarney to glenbeigh, mini break. Then caherciveen for breakfast then a short spin to Waterville, little break. Climb to Coomakishta, break, cycle to sneem, break, Kenmare; break and massage then the last climb to Molls and back to Killarney.

Basically it's well broken up, plus you'll be way fitter and have more done by July. It's not a tough cycle, it's enjoyable.

You don't need to have done massive training spins at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You're doing fine just build up the distances gradually and with the longer daylight hours maybe 3 spins per week. There's a very good training programme on the Rok website. On the day itself just pace yourself and you'll get there, it's a long slog and remember both mountain climbs are in the second half of the route, if possible travel in a group as this saves a lot of energy and the craic as you cycle is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

If you can out in the time 3/4 times a week to build up you will be fine. I only started cycling in April last year, had never even cycled 20k. There is a really good training programme on the website and if you manage to do 2-3 short spins and one long spin a week you will be fine. The longest route I did before the big day was only 80k and I made it round no problem even carrying an extra 3 stone (I don't advise that!). Ty find a local club or leisure group to get out with, and try go on a few advertised charity cycles beforehand. There are a lot this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Btw the local papers in Kerry are advertising Tuesday 1pm for registrations to open, with an entry of 85 euro, up from the 70 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It's official: 1.00pm on Tuesday.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Btw the local papers in Kerry are advertising Tuesday 1pm for registrations to open, with an entry of 85 euro, up from the 70 last year.

That increase is really a bit much, does nothing for goodwill towards the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I read earlier in thread that it was going to be €80!!! Slipped an extra €5 on to the fee over 2 weeks!!!!

Talk about moving the goal posts. Naughty naughty....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

That increase is really a bit much, does nothing for goodwill towards the event.

Yip, doing it this year with a friend who hasn't done it yet and thats it for me, plenty of other events at more reasonable prices to choose from. Between registration, accommodation and travelling its too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford in August is a far better experience (top class organisation and souvenir Jersey included @ €40). Have the accommodation booked for ROK but It would not bother me to miss it given the information out there right now. Might take a stroll in the national park instead :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    ...It's not 180kms all together. It's killarney to glenbeigh, mini break. Then caherciveen for breakfast then a short spin to Waterville, little break. Climb to Coomakishta, break, cycle to sneem, break, Kenmare; break and massage then the last climb to Molls and back to Killarney...
    It's not even 180k when broken up either! Why do they keep advertising it as 180k when it's about 170k? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Masala wrote: »
    I read earlier in thread that it was going to be €80!!! Slipped an extra €5 on to the fee over 2 weeks!!!!

Talk about moving the goal posts. Naughty naughty....

Don't forget there'll more than likely be a transaction fee of €2.50 or similar thrown in at checkout aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Thanks for the advice, did 55k yesterday and found it very tough but did 25k today to loosen up and felt grand, think the wind hurt me yesterday - will just have to toughen up & hope for the best on Tuesday when registration opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Contacted St. John of God's and St. Francis's Special School today and got automatic replies to say all their places are gone. I've also emailed Down Syndrome Ireland I mean Kerry but no response yet.

I hate raising money too, but that is the reason for the whole event so I just grimaced and went for it last time (2013) and had no bother at all raising over €100 (can't remember the final figure but that was the minimum.)

I haven't done many sportives, but I've done a few (including the Tour of Waterford) and the ROK was hands down no bother no question or doubt about it THE best day I've ever had on my bike. It is just magical. Started at 6am and I'll never forget coming into the first food stop (Cahirciveen? Waterville?) at about 8 or 8:30 and coming round the back of the clubhouse to see two GAA pitches jammed with thousands of bikes and people. Wonderful experience, not to be missed IMHO.

*Disclaimer: I cycled with a pal from the area so had no accommodation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Was thinking of getting tickets tomorrow, rang a few places for accommodation. Rumour is nothing going inside 30k from killarney.

tickets are available now folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Can't see the attraction this year, for the total cost for the ROK incl accommodation you could probably grab a week in Majorca off season

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

mamax wrote: »
    Can't see the attraction this year, for the total cost for the ROK incl accommodation you could probably grab a week in Majorca off season

Could you travel home after the cycle?

And the registration system has fouled itself :(

• Advertisement

mamax wrote: »

Seriously? Didn't take long for this..

ronoc wrote: »
    And the registration system has fouled itself :(

What's up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 creamcracker30

Why is the registration for the Ring of Kerry cycle so expensive?? It's €85 which I wasn't expecting!! The website doesn't say what you get for that money.

jon1981 wrote: »
    What's up?

The eventmaster site has crashed.

ronoc wrote: »
    The eventmaster site has crashed.

Jaysus... it's in demand this year!

Why is the registration for the Ring of Kerry cycle so expensive?? It's €85 which I wasn't expecting!! The website doesn't say what you get for that money.

Yeah it is expensive to be fair, you dont get much for the money other than a cert at the end. No jersey only some free food at the stops. Though, when would you get the chance to cycle some these roads closed off to traffic...i guess that's the other appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

:eek: Thats a bit steep tbf. I don't think I will be going now.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Yeah it is expensive to be fair, you dont get much for the money other than a cert at the end. No jersey only some free food at the stops. Though, when would you get the chance to cycle some these roads closed off to traffic...i guess that's the other appeal

When there is traffic is it dangerous and/or busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Every year the same complaints , its too expensive :D
    Well if you dont want to pay a premium for a charity cycle with 9000 other lycra clad eejits , cycle the ROK any other day of the year , or do one of the many many other events in the country which range from €10 to €40 .

€85 is quiet expensive compared to other events but its for charity and its a great day out . What is really shocking is the price of accommodation in Killarney :eek:

Nemanrio wrote: »
    :eek: Thats a bit steep tbf. I don't think I will be going now.

When there is traffic is it dangerous and/or busy?

Id imagine so with some of the descents on the route. You'd be coming down at speed with oncoming traffic otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Haven't seen a ticket website run this slow since Garth Brooks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement