Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Kerry Hospice has announced that all their allocation of entries have been taken up

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

St Josephs home just looking for E80 registration. No sponsorship requested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thank you kindly.
    I got my mate and myself registered with St. Joseph's.
    I rang them. They were prepared to accept 80 Euro, but pushed a little. We settled on 100 Euro each.
    I have a feeling, they're running out of places, quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Signed up with Console [another of the official charities]. I have no bother with raising the €200 required, only needed to give €30 up front, which is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Signed up with St Joseph's this morning. €80. Given the current asking prices from other charities that is very decent of them and when it comes to paying I'll probably put in a little extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Rathmore Social Action Group is €80 to cover the registration fee plus whatever you can give/collect on top, no minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Are places likely to fill up on the opening day of registration or does it generally take a few days to fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Are places likely to fill up on the opening day of registration or does it generally take a few days to fill up

It usually takes a few weeks but this year the nominated charities have sold out of their allocated spaces so I wouldn't leave it too long as there's less to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

cavan4sam wrote: »

It was open for around 3 weeks last year. This year could be different. I'd say a few days so no immediate Garth Brooks sell out in 60seconds type rush but don't hang around too long. The charities seem to have a lot of the tickets and there seems to be much more buzz about it. I know several people who want to do it for the first time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Signed up with them today myself, sent down my postal order this morning and received an entry email this evening from Ring of Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

touts wrote: »
    there seems to be much more buzz about it.

Would say the opposite. I've no doubt it will sell out again, but most cyclists I know are staying away this year, including some who have done it for several years now. Maybe it's just different circles, but there is a lot more focus on other events this year. The gloss has come off the rok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

mossym wrote: »
    Would say the opposite. I've no doubt it will sell out again, but most cyclists I know are staying away this year, including some who have done it for several years now. Maybe it's just different circles, but there is a lot more focus on other events this year. The gloss has come off the rok

Ya.... that's the feeling I get as well. My mates wont pay €200 and if they don't get in on Opening Day Registration... they not arsed either way.

My priority this year is the Rebel Tour in Sept.... have done this last 3 years and a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I've never done the rok,and was thinking off doing it this year.So I know a group of lads who've done it the last 3 years and asked them about joining up with then to ride it this year as they know the ropes regarding signing up,plus info on the route itself,lenght of climds,road surface,feed stops etc etc.And none of them are entering this year.Reasons given were cost of entry,cost of hotel room,pressure from the charitys to raise above what the charitys have listed as the minimum figure.To an outsider like me,to enter the rok seems a lot harder,more confusing with the 2 different dates to sign up by (either with a charity or as an individual) than other sportive events. Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200,its just a case off signing up on the opening online date,paying a slightly over the odds fee and any charity money you wish to raise is up to yourself to sort out. The rok cycle itself I'll manage,but all the signing up charity stuff has me worn out trying to follow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I've never done the rok,and was thinking off doing it this year.So I know a group of lads who've done it the last 3 years and asked them about joining up with then to ride it this year as they know the ropes regarding signing up,plus info on the route itself,lenght of climds,road surface,feed stops etc etc.And none of them are entering this year.Reasons given were cost of entry,cost of hotel room,pressure from the charitys to raise above what the charitys have listed as the minimum figure.To an outsider like me,to enter the rok seems a lot harder,more confusing with the 2 different dates to sign up by (either with a charity or as an individual) than other sportive events. Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200,its just a case off signing up on the opening online date,paying a slightly over the odds fee and any charity money you wish to raise is up to yourself to sort out. The rok cycle itself I'll manage,but all the signing up charity stuff has me worn out trying to follow!!

Easiest way sign up on the Tuesday 7th of April on the ROK website for €80 no extra sponsorship needed as far as i know.
    If you don't get that entry look at the charity route you may have to raise sponsorship,
    If you do get a direct entry and you want to contribute a little more buy a jersey.
    Ring around for accommodation now as that is harder to secure. Dealing direct with the hotel they will give you a better deal. We booked 2 months ago and we are securing it money wise start of June.
    You can stop where you want and there is plenty of towns it passes through and water stops are ample.
    The main food stops are coming out of Cahersiveen and Kenmare a lot of people dont go to the official stops they just go to the garages so bring a few bob but you might miss out on a massage in Kenmare......
    You will never be on your own its amazing 8000 to 10000 people out on their bikes
    Enjoy it is the main thing its a great weekend if you put in some decent training the cycle will be the easy bit.
    Oh and last one don't be reading this thread and worrying yourself needlessly.

Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200

plenty of other options for events around that are as big/bigger than the WW200 as well if you are looking for one. rebel tour has been mentioned, tour de burren, sean kelly are all great days out. they're probably a better day out for cyclists than the ROK which is more aimed at everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

mossym wrote: »
    plenty of other options for events around that are as big/bigger than the WW200 as well if you are looking for one. rebel tour has been mentioned, tour de burren, sean kelly are all great days out. they're probably a better day out for cyclists than the ROK which is more aimed at everyone

Dont forget the boards Evil 200.......Now thats a spin not to miss!

Dont forget the boards Evil 200.......Now thats a spin not to miss!

apologies to all events i may have missed, that list wasn't at all meant to be definitive:D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Have booked a spot and have almost €100 raised already. First year doing it, work in a kerry based bike shop so it's my turn this year to get to do it. Doing it with a good bunch so should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just announced on the ROK FB page....
    Opening of the online registration for the 2015 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle.
    The online registration for the 2015 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle will open at 1.00pm on Tuesday April 7th. To register your place online go to www.ringofkerrycycle.ie
    The 9 nominated charities have already recruited their cyclists and due to health & safety there is a limit to the number of cyclists who can participate as in previous years. The organising committee anticipate that the registration process will close in record time due to the huge interest in this year’s cycle. We would therefore encourage everyone to register as soon as possible once the online process opens. The organising committee cannot guarantee that everyone will receive a place.
    All information on the charities, the cycle and the registration process is available on www.ringofkerrycycle.ie

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This years jersey is also on sale e30 a pop. I'm not mad about the yellow on the front so i'll give it a miss. For me the first official jersey is still the nicest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Received Sponsorship form in the post today,Time to start serious training.
    Roll on July..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

You can order the ROK jersey from today, €30 plus €3 postage

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Anyone know of accommodation available in or near the town for the weekend? PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Just ordered mine.I think the red is nice on it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered mine too. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

If you register for the cycle, will a jersey be part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Nemanrio wrote: »
    If you register for the cycle, will a jersey be part of it?

No. You have to order and pay for the jersey separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No. You have to order and pay for the jersey separately.

If in any doubt, once Kerry is in title take it you'll be paying a few times... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Mods - can we consolidate all the Ring of Kerry 2015 threads into a single official one. Previous years we just had one and I think there are five going at moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone know of accommodation available in or near the town for the weekend? PM please

Any advice for finding accommodation for a group of 10? Everything in Killarney seems to be booked up already so I'm guessing we'll have to look at a nearby town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement