Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

for apple mac 10.6.8 or older users

those who get a freezing mac

on the f1000 using a pc or windows based laptop (ipad wont work) log onto modem (192.168.1.254) admin and your wifi key as password

go to network settings > qos > class setup

modify rtsp > set interface from lan to local

click apply

modify defualt queue

change queue name to default

change interface from lan to local

click apply

go to network settings > home networking

look for lan mode setup

change ipv6 state from enabled to disable

click apply

then go to network settings> broadband

click on modify (ethwan) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only

click apply

click on modify (vdsl) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only
    click apply

your modem will drop connection and reconnect with ipv6 disabled

enjoy much better speeds both browsing and lower latency

then turn off the modem

next reboot your mac

when it boots up

go to system preferences > network

on airport/wifi click advanced then tcp/ip tab

set "configure ipv6" to off

click on dns

set dns server to 8.8.8.8

set dns search to 8.8.4.4

click ok and apply

then go back to system preferences network

click on ethernet 1 or on older versions of macosx built in ethernet

click advanced then tcp/ip tab

click on dns

click ok and apply

if your mac has more than one ethernet ports repeat the above steps for ethernet 2

if your mac gets this error when you try to configure tcp/ip "your network is being controlled by another application" then you have the mac bug where the admin account is blocked from changing network settings

a workaround for this is to go to

system preferences > security & privacy

here you need to set a master password

then you need to tick the box "require a password when making changes to this system"

then go to network settings and click on the padlock

enter your password and then follow the above steps

then restart the mac to ensure settings are saved properly

then turn on the f1000 and connect as normal

IPV6 MUST BE DISABLED ON AIRPORT/WIFI AND ALL ETHERNET CONNECTIONS otherwise it wont work (macs 10.6.8 or older cannot map ipv6 addresses in the tcp/ip stack correctly, apple have no plans to fix this

macs with 10.7 or newer dont have this issue

thank this post if it works for you..........if you have problems pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pauljude180

Yes, I also had this issue. In my case it was not just that a laptop on WiFi could not see the Iomega NAS but also that my iPad could not properly control my Naim Wifi ( UnitiQute streamer and HDX server).
    I should add I was on the eVisipn trial but no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

you dont need to delete to qos settings

just go to network settings > qos > class setup

click apply

modify defualt queue

click apply

as soon as you click apply your nas will work perfectly

this fix also applies to wireless printers and apple tv and dreamboxes

Just had to do this for a second time and I had to reset my router twice in the last 2 days. Very annoying :( Are eircom pushing through remote updates to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Its anyone elso having problems (not working) with port forwarding? Firmware 1.00(AAHA.3)D0_0820_2.
    When i first setup F1000 it was working fine, now none of the ports are beeing forwarded (ip camera, VNC and FTP).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

for apple mac 10.6.8 or older users

those who get a freezing mac

on the f1000 using a pc or windows based laptop (ipad wont work) log onto modem (192.168.1.254) admin and your wifi key as password

go to network settings > qos > class setup

click apply

modify defualt queue

click apply

go to network settings > home networking

look for lan mode setup

change ipv6 state from enabled to disable

click apply

click on modify (ethwan) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only

click apply

click on modify (vdsl) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only
    click apply

your modem will drop connection and reconnect with ipv6 disabled

enjoy much better speeds both browsing and lower latency

then turn off the modem

next reboot your mac

when it boots up

go to system preferences > network

on airport/wifi click advanced then tcp/ip tab

click on dns

click ok and apply

then go back to system preferences network

click on ethernet 1 or on older versions of macosx built in ethernet

click advanced then tcp/ip tab

click on dns

click ok and apply

if your mac has more than one ethernet ports repeat the above steps for ethernet 2

if your mac gets this error when you try to configure tcp/ip "your network is being controlled by another application" then you have the mac bug where the admin account is blocked from changing network settings

a workaround for this is to go to

system preferences > security & privacy

here you need to set a master password

then you need to tick the box "require a password when making changes to this system"

then go to network settings and click on the padlock

enter your password and then follow the above steps

then restart the mac to ensure settings are saved properly

then turn on the f1000 and connect as normal

IPV6 MUST BE DISABLED ON AIRPORT/WIFI AND ALL ETHERNET CONNECTIONS otherwise it wont work (macs 10.6.8 or older cannot map ipv6 addresses in the tcp/ip stack correctly, apple have no plans to fix this

macs with 10.7 or newer dont have this issue

thank this post if it works for you..........if you have problems pm me

how would modifying QoS and changing DNS on a mac fix the freezing issue? i thought it was just ipv6 that caused this, forgive me if im wrong :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Just had eFibre installed and want to set my router to bridge mode so I can continue to use my D-Link DIR655 router.

It is not clear to me from the webgui configuration how to do this?

From reviewing the manual I think I need to do something in Network Settings -> Broadband? :confused:

274404.JPG

Help appreciated. What do I need to add/change and where. :o

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Just had eFibre installed and want to set my router to bridge mode so I can continue to use my D-Link DIR655 router.

It is not clear to me from the webgui configuration how to do this?

From reviewing the manual I think I need to do something in Network Settings -> Broadband? :confused:

274404.JPG

Help appreciated. What do I need to add/change and where. :o

Page 52 of the manual discusses bridge mode but does not tell what to do with existing entries?

Do I just edit existing entries? Delete and replace? Add new in addition? And what types of entries are needed PTM, ATM and Ethernet? :confused::o

Help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Page 52 of the manual discusses bridge mode but does not tell what to do with existing entries?

Do I just edit existing entries? Delete and replace? Add new in addition? And what types of entries are needed PTM, ATM and Ethernet? :confused::o

Help appreciated.

Hmmm, a good few times, in this very thread, it is mentioned that Bridging doesn't work. It breaks your modem [albeit in software only]. If you bridge your F1000, it causes a forever boot loop.

I've been told [treat anecdotally] that if you disconnect the DSL line BEFORE you setup Bridge Mode, it will work. I haven't tried this.

RangeR wrote: »
    Hmmm, a good few times, in this very thread, it is mentioned that Bridging doesn't work. It breaks your modem [albeit in software only]. If you bridge your F1000, it causes a forever boot loop.

I've been told [treat anecdotally] that if you disconnect the DSL line BEFORE you setup Bridge Mode, it will work. I haven't tried this.

Thanks, have just found this post which seems to say what to do to enable and prevent?

Are the eircom PPPoE settings also the same for eFibre? :confused:

Basic modem settings:

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

My F1000 router seems to show different DNS servers.

- Primary DNS server: 159.134.0.1 (dns1.eircom.net)
    - Secondary DNS server: 159.134.0.2 (dns2.eircom.net)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Anyone know how to set up port forwarding on this router,before I tear what little hair I have left out of my head? I need it in order to access my set top box which I have assigned a static IP. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any news on a boot loop fix firmware? Got a few of these piling up on the queue in work, either running absolute hackjobs to keep firewalls in place or where sites are using their old DSL line (luckily a few managed to order it on a different line, somehow).

Update rolling out over the next day or two fixing, among others, continuous booting.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Update rolling out over the next day or two fixing, among others, continuous booting.
    Do they just push it out to all the modems automatically or do you have to install it yourself?

They said that the firmwares are pushed out over the wire. There are a small amount of units that this can't be done for [bridged units]. These will have to be done manually. I'm sure the firmware will be made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

They said that the firmwares are pushed out over the wire. There are a small amount of units that this can't be done for [bridged units]. These will have to be done manually. I'm sure the firmware will be made available.

I really hope that this doesnt happen...Ive found it extremely useful & use it daily
    mrqpr wrote: »
    Just contacted Eircom "tech" support. I've been told, via a really poor phone line, that they disable the USB service option on the router as they don't support this type of query. Perhaps those who have had some partial success in setting up the file sharing have received a box without this feature being disabled by eircom? Its a shame as a file share would be really handy for me without having to fork out on new equipment. Has anyone managed to flash the original ZyXel firmware back on?

Actually, I've also heard that the business eFiber is a 48 hour best effort if there is a problem. If you pay an extra €2.50 a month, you get that down to an 8 hour fix. Take my money, Mr eircom.

I don't know if this is available on residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

take the modem out of bridged mode back onto routing mode and call into tech support and ask for the firmware to be updated to the new test firmware.

once updated you can put the f1000 back into bridged mode

the test firmware should fix the 9 day session timeout bug (currently being tested) & wireless isolation bug (which does work)

test firmware is 1.00(aaha.4)b2

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

why i can not set this router in to bridge mode, my Airport extreme doesn't connects to internet.. any fix guys? tried changing mtu, changing the vdsl settings, nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tross

Hi all, recently got a letter from eircom offering me the oppertunity to upgrade my NGB to efibre for no extra cost. Have been talking to a few friends at work who did upgrade and both said all the service engineer did was swap their routers with a new one, I'm guessing it's the ZyXEL F1000. The big problem they both have is neither of them can now connect wirelessly to the router using their laptops running Windows Vista. As I also use Vista is this a known issue with these routers and is there a fix that I can get them to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

tross wrote: »
    Hi all, recently got a letter from eircom offering me the oppertunity to upgrade my NGB to efibre for no extra cost. Have been talking to a few friends at work who did upgrade and both said all the service engineer did was swap their routers with a new one, I'm guessing it's the ZyXEL F1000. The big problem they both have is neither of them can now connect wirelessly to the router using their laptops running Windows Vista. As I also use Vista is this a known issue with these routers and is there a fix that I can get them to try.

Hi
    Check these threads
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056971211/1#post85076939
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057020034/1#post86107499

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tross

Vico1612 wrote: »

Thanks for the info, I'll check with them and see if they have Service Pack 2 installed.

take the modem out of bridged mode back onto routing mode and call into tech support and ask for the firmware to be updated to the new test firmware.

once updated you can put the f1000 back into bridged mode

the test firmware should fix the 9 day session timeout bug (currently being tested) & wireless isolation bug (which does work)

test firmware is 1.00(aaha.4)b2

So when is the official release planned?

Nforce wrote: »
    Anyone know how to set up port forwarding on this router,before I tear what little hair I have left out of my head? I need it in order to access my set top box which I have assigned a static IP. :(

Anyone? :o

See if page 154 helps.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/eircom_F1000.pdf

I've tried following those instructions but the port remains blocked. Anyone here successfully forwarded ports from this router?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

I've tried following those instructions but the port remains blocked. Anyone here successfully forwarded ports from this router?

I did, but with the original firmware. After the update, the routing isn't working any more. Called the Eircom support, and, of course, they don't support port forwarding! Because they don't have any idea what's wrong.

I did, but with the original firmware. After the update, the routing isn't working any more. Called the Eircom support, and, of course, they don't support port forwarding! Because they don't have any idea what's wrong.

Thanks for that. I thought that I was going a bit senile. So port forwarding doesn't work then. Does bridge mode work properly so that I can go back to my old D-Link DIR855 router?

does anyone here managed to set up this modem in bridge mode with one of the Apple's routers?(extreme, express, time capsule)

• Advertisement

lisij wrote: »
    does anyone here managed to set up this modem in bridge mode with one of the Apple's routers?(extreme, express, time capsule)

never mind, figured it out myself

Advertisement