Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOG FOOD - ADVICE

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been let down badly twice in a row by Whites. I cannot keep messing with my dogs diet.

I will have to go to a local petshop and pick up something.

Can anyone quickly recommend something similar to Whites that is healthy and not too expensive. I want to be able to get it myself in store and not have to depend on deliveries.

There is a petmania and a maxi zoo nearby.

Sorry for not searching but I'm at work and just wanted to post this quickly in the hopes of getting a fast response before 1pm. I'll ask in store but would like some recommendations from outsiders.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

Hi Gammon
    Just saw you wanted a quick response! I was using Maxi Zoo's own brand Select Gold and also Real Nature. Was very happy with both of them. Real nature is expensive but you have to feed very little. Feeding BARF now so not using them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Thanks Holly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP do you mind saying what tr problem was with Whites? Is it just delivery? I am thinking if changing over to them.

Yes it was just delivery. My dogs seemed to really like the food and I did not want to change again after just two bags. I had read good things about them on this board and wanted to feed my dogs a healthy product.

I got my first bag and changed over.

Then my second bag did not turn up on time due to problems with the courier. I had to get an alternative food to keep them going which is not ideal as I had just switched them to Whites and they were used to it. It turned up eventually.

I then placed another order for two bags straight away with the intention of never being in that situation again. That was three weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived and the second bag is gone.

They had told me last week that they problems getting stock in themselves and asked would I accept a different product. I did not want to risk not getting the food on time so I agreed. They still couldn't deliver that even though they told me it was in stock.

Last night I sent an email complaining that it has happened twice despite ordering well in advance this time and this morning they just refunded my money and sent an apologetic email saying they had problems with the courier again and had requested all deliveries to be returned to them.

In other words, they left me high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I just left them too. After reading here on boards how good the food is, i gave it a try but i wasnt so happy. The farts of my little boy were nearly killing us :D and the coat lost his "shine". Also i was not able to order the food online anymore :mad: made me switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Yes it was just delivery. My dogs seemed to really like the food and I did not want to change again after just two bags. I had read good things about them on this board and wanted to feed my dogs a healthy product.

I got my first bag and changed over.

Then my second bag did not turn up on time due to problems with the courier. I had to get an alternative food to keep them going which is not ideal as I had just switched them to Whites and they were used to it. It turned up eventually.

I then placed another order for two bags straight away with the intention of never being in that situation again. That was three weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived and the second bag is gone.

They had told me last week that they problems getting stock in themselves and asked would I accept a different product. I did not want to risk not getting the food on time so I agreed. They still couldn't deliver that even though they told me it was in stock.

Last night I sent an email complaining that it has happened twice despite ordering well in advance this time and this morning they just refunded my money and sent an apologetic email saying they had problems with the courier again and had requested all deliveries to be returned to them.

In other words, they left me high and dry.

thats odd, i have been using them for over a yr and have never been let down. i have always had my delivery within 24 hrs. i actually only got a order yesterday. what courier service delivers to u? mine is always fastways. never ever had a problem. what variety is your dog on?
    i honestly find everything from their telephone manner to the food top class. sometimes i actually phone maybe 2 days before i get paid and they still delieve the food to me without payment off me, course i then pay. i am actually very suprised at this

I just left them too. After reading here on boards how good the food is, i gave it a try but i wasnt so happy. The farts of my little boy were nearly killing us :D and the coat lost his "shine". Also i was not able to order the food online anymore :mad: made me switch.
    this sometimes happens like humans all food does not suit all dogs, i can honestly say with my gang its the only brand that suits the lot of them, even the 2 with the bad tummies. as for not ordering the food online any more i just ordered on line monday and got my food yesterday. wasnt told this in fact was wished merry christmas and will talk to me in the new year. sure the online ordering is how they run there business they have very few retailers. in fact im going to ring them now to confirm thi,. as if this is true i may look for a new food.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Black Angus - Real Nature, Select Gold, both super premo foods and reasonable price wise, best I know Select Gold is a "Maxizoo" own brand and is highly rated.

or

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68992613
    Raw Food Diet, you can spend one day making enough food for 22 days, you'll need an outdoors working area, frezzer, apron, mallet :) cleaver :)

This way you control the price, the portion size, the contents and most of all nutritional value.
    If your only feeding one or two dogs, you'll probably stick to the dry foods for convenience sake, but if your pack increases it's something to think about :)

thats odd, i have been using them for over a yr and have never been let down. i have always had my delivery within 24 hrs. i actually only got a order yesterday. what courier service delivers to u? mine is always fastways. never ever had a problem. what variety is your dog on?
    i honestly find everything from their telephone manner to the food top class. sometimes i actually phone maybe 2 days before i get paid and they still delieve the food to me without payment off me, course i then pay. i am actually very suprised at this

I was using lamb and rice. When they called last week they said they had no lamb and rice or chicken and rice. They said they had got in a new product of turkey and rice which was more expensive but they'd send it out instead. I think Fastway delivered previously. I normally have no problems with couriers and get delveries on a regular basis from all couriers.

Yeah, I reckon I am just unlucky with it but when my dogs diet and health are at stake I cannot afford to give a third chance or show loyalty.
    It's disappointing as the product itself was great as my dogs really did seem to like it. I do feel as I was a new customer and had problems on my last delivery that they should have made 100% sure I got a delivery this time. I am also annoyed that they just gave up, refunded my money and left me with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was using lamb and rice. When they called last week they said they had no lamb and rice or chicken and rice. They said they had got in a new product of turkey and rice which was more expensive but they'd send it out instead. I think Fastway delivered previously. I normally have no problems with couriers and get delveries on a regular basis from all couriers.

Yeah, I reckon I am just unlucky with it but when my dogs diet and health are at stake I cannot afford to give a third chance or show loyalty.
    It's disappointing as the product itself was great as my dogs really did seem to like it. I do feel as I was a new customer and had problems on my last delivery that they should have made 100% sure I got a delivery this time. I am also annoyed that they just gave up, refunded my money and left me with nothing.

Just on couriers - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything this side of Christmas. My OH was waiting for 3 weeks on a parcel that had been held in a depot for 2 of those weeks while they worked on a backlog of goods. I know more and more people are shopping online so I'm assuming Christmas shopping is causing huge delays.

His parcel was delivered last night at 8.45pm:D:D. I've never seen a courier working as late - ever!

OP, check the ingredients listed on your whites and try and get something as similar in composition. It'll probably be trial and error until you get something to suit. I'd also ask in whatever pet shop you do go to for a few samples of things that might suit, it might give you an idea.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been getting lots of deliveries myself as I've done all my shopping online. Unfortunately I placed my order with Whites 3 weeks ago so I don't see that as an excuse. Again, the product is top notch, I just can't take any more chances with changing my dogs diet.

On topic, I went to Maxi Zoo with a print out of the Whites Ingredients and showed it to a woman working there. I ended up taking a small bag of Premier High 5 to see how they get on.

i use both lamb/chicken and have had no probs with them at all. if the couriers is at fault its really not the companys fault as someone else said this near to xmas what can u expect.
    all i can say is, the treatment u got is not what i expected from whites as the ppl that run the company over here have never been anything but curteous to me and have at times gone out of their way to be more than helpful

allgauerin have just phoned whites to confirm what u said about no more orders been taking on line, 1st to see was this statment true and 2nd if it was true to start looking for a different food and it seems that you must be mistaken as orders are still been taken on line and on the phone. so thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

The company may not be at fault, and the delivery service may be over taxed at xmas, but that doesn't put food in the bowl lol, the good alternatives are listed above and when things simmer down in the new year I bet you can resume your normal routine.

as someone else said this near to xmas what can u expect.

I placed the order three weeks ago and my previous order from November didnt arrive on time either. I've had orders from America arrive with couriers in perfect time over the last few weeks so it's no excuse that they're busy. We all are! They promise delivery within 2 days.

If you're doing ok with them then that's fine. I said previously that I was probably just unlucky. I'm not trying to put anyone off them. I just need to keep my dogs on a stable diet and since I changed to Whites I've not been able to do that. It might not be their fault but it's certainly not the fault of my dogs so I started this thread in the hope of getting ideas for a new type of food that I can consistantly get my hands on so that they can eat a regular type of food.

Thanks to everyone who replied with recommendations!

allgauerin have just phoned whites to confirm what u said about no more orders been taking on line, 1st to see was this statment true and 2nd if it was true to start looking for a different food and it seems that you must be mistaken as orders are still been taken on line and on the phone. so thank god for that

I think he meant he/she personally couldn't order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

no i didn't ring them as i wasn't so happy with the food anyway. i was trying to get the lamb 15kg bag but there was no option for it on the web page only 2x 15kg bags. I still think it is a good food, it just didn't go on well with my twos :)

edit: but they should be honest to you and saying that they had issues with their web page. and it was something wrong as i tried it at home and in work

no i didn't ring them as i wasn't so happy with the food anyway. i was trying to get the lamb 15kg bag but there was no option for it on the web page only 2x 15kg bags. I still think it is a good food, it just didn't go on well with my twos :)

edit: but they should be honest to you and saying that they had issues with their web page. and it was something wrong as i tried it at home and in work

just wondering how you can be both not happy with the food and then say its a good food!

there is a option on the web page, if u click on the bag of food you want that will pop up. when you click on the special offer bag that is when there offers pop up.

like i said in earlier post not all food suits all dogs. some people rave about burns but it wasnt great for some of my dogs, where with whites it suits all.

I placed the order three weeks ago and my previous order from November didnt arrive on time either. I've had orders from America arrive with couriers in perfect time over the last few weeks so it's no excuse that they're busy. We all are! They promise delivery within 2 days.

If you're doing ok with them then that's fine. I said previously that I was probably just unlucky. I'm not trying to put anyone off them. I just need to keep my dogs on a stable diet and since I changed to Whites I've not been able to do that. It might not be their fault but it's certainly not the fault of my dogs so I started this thread in the hope of getting ideas for a new type of food that I can consistantly get my hands on so that they can eat a regular type of food.

Thanks to everyone who replied with recommendations!

ah no your perfectly right its important you dont mess with your dogs diet. i just cant understand how they wernt helpful when you made the complaint. i know from experience that they will bend over backwards to rectify any problems. 3 weeks ago, would that of been the time that they had problems getting their delivery from uk? i know i phoned on monday and they were waiting on delivery. it was with me on thursday and even then they rang me up on friday to see had my food come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i was between white's and premier high five last time i was changing food over. I went wit high five cos it's easier to source than trying to arrange being home when couriers are coming. My dog is doing brilliant on high five and I'm really happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I got arden grange puppy/junior ive noticed that the dog farts less or they dont smell as bad on this plus he loves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

I moved from maxizoos fit and fun €15 bag to whites €40 bag... i heard the better dog foods last longer cause the dogs don,t eat as much...

Im not so sure.. dogs are getting through about a bag a month, the same as before... altho their POOs look better they are still POOing in enormous quantities! Having said that the food looks and even smells alot better than the fitNfun stuff.

My first whites delivery came the next day or maybe 2 days at most... the second took a week... not going to risk these delays im reading about so am going to punt for the premier high five in maxizoo for the next bag... its €40 a bag??

Yep, Premier High Five is 40 per bag. My dogs seems to like it and the transition from Whites hasn't been too bad on their stomachs. It's good to know you can go pick up a bag yourself instead of worrying about ordering on time and then hoping everything else runs smoothly with dispatch and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I can vouch for the farts hehehe :)

Advertisement