Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

round 3!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

No, this is making me sad already. No more Hpat :( Ever again

Sunny!! wrote: »
    round 3!:(

I was gonna PM you Sunny!! Ahh I'm upset for you. Were you far off this year?

I was gonna PM you Sunny!! Ahh I'm upset for you. Were you far off this year?
    closer but not enough still:(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

How did you guys do? :(

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    closer but not enough still:(

No worries bro we'll get there :) I scored 181, i'm more of a scrape 550ish in the LC than the 580+ plus range, so I reckon I won't be studying med.

However, I'm gonna scrape 550 and go to college anyway and just repeat the hpat forever :p

No worries bro we'll get there :) I scored 181, i'm more of a scrape 550ish in the LC than the 580+ plus range, so I reckon I won't be studying med.

However, I'm gonna scrape 550 and go to college anyway and just repeat the hpat forever :p
    thats my plan as well:p

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Ah jesus lads its a bit early for next year :L

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Puke.

Does anyone know how much the fees are if you do a year of college and then repeat the HPAT and transfer to Med? Are they astronomical? :/

Think it's between €12k and €16k depending on which uni it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

That's awful.

But better than €100k+ for Grad Med I suppose. :/

Are you 100th sure of that? :confused:

That's awful.

But better than €100k+ for Grad Med I suppose. :/

Sure is. And college is gonna be awesome, but after 8 years I reckon even i'd begin to get fed up.

And spending the first 3/4 years studying hard to get a degree you don't even really want must be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Could ye not just do Arts? :P

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Are you 100th sure of that? :confused:

No i'm absolutely not :p But have a read through the health sciences education forum, it's been discussed there plenty of times by people who have done this.

Togepi wrote: »
    Could ye not just do Arts? :P

Ya sur it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

The fees are €8,000, including registration fee, for most med (not sure about RCSI) if you have already done a year of college somewhere. This can even be waived if you do a year of a certain science degree and then use it as your premed if you switch to UCD, NUIG or RCSI. This is at the discretion of the college however so you'd have to check first. I'd say the most likely course this would count for would be switching from biomedical science to 1st Med in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

Medicine in college?! Sure arts is better craic......

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Already! :eek:

I'd prefer not to think that I'm eligible for this thread for the time being. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

0mega wrote: »
    Already! :eek:

I'd prefer not to think that I'm eligible for this thread for the time being. :D

Couldn't agree more but sooner or later reality is gonna come up and bite me in the ass:(

• Advertisement

As I said earlier "Optimism is key"

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

The fees are €8,000, including registration fee, for most med (not sure about RCSI) if you have already done a year of college somewhere. This can even be waived if you do a year of a certain science degree and then use it as your premed if you switch to UCD, NUIG or RCSI. This is at the discretion of the college however so you'd have to check first. I'd say the most likely course this would count for would be switching from biomedical science to 1st Med in UCD.

Ya it's about that, I know of people who've done pharmacy, dietetics, physio, undenominated sci, biomes science and genetics who've all had their fees wavered! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

After Togepi's post I've realized where my future belongs. No career guidance counsellor had ever offered me insight into fascinating Arts courses. Time for some Film Studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Is it true that you can't use the points if you're doing both Biology and Ag Science?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Is it true that you can't use the points if you're doing both Biology and Ag Science?

Lies!!!! :)

Nope, as far as I am aware you can still use the two of them together. However to get Medicine you need two Lab sciences and the Medicine courses don't accept Ag Science as one of them I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey guys, this is going to be an extremely long post. Stick with me if you want to help a suffering Leaving Certer out! :P

So, I always thought I wanted to study Law. Because of this, in 5th year I decided against studying Science and studying subjects such as Business, Economics etc. All was going fine up until last week, when both my Parents and my Career Guidance Teacher asked me about repeating and trying to get into Medicine. I had never really considered Med before, as I thought it was out of reach academically for me. Lately however, i'm beginning to wonder could Medicine have been the career for me?

As I said, Law was originally my choice. From discussing my options with my career guidance Teacher, I am still applying for Law and seeing how I feel after the Leaving Cert. What was suggested to me, if I still felt the same way after June, was to repeat next year and attempt to get Medicine whilst doing 7 subjects in School.

The slight issue is, I don't do any Science subjects now. My Teachers advice me, if repeating was on the cards to do the following:
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Geography
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Music
    • Ag-Science.

If I decide Medicine is the career I want to really do, honestly, do you think it would be possible to take up those 3 subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Ag-Science)?

I got 510 in the Mocks this year, which I know would not be enough for Medicine. However, if I was able to drop a lot of minor subjects, in my case (Maths, Irish, French, English) I feel I could achieve 550/560 points. I also would be eligible for the HEAR scheme if I wanted to study Med. which would possibly give me a little breathing room as regards points.

If you have time, give me a reply back whether you think my idea is crazy/possible/or completely impossible. All opinions are greatly welcomed! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hey PictureFrame :) I'm doing the Leaving this year and I do those 3 subjects. Tbh I think that it would be quite the workload to take on all three.

There is a nice overlap between Ag and Bio but there both pretty large courses.

Chemistry is a different beast. It's more about understanding what's going on.

If I were to be honest I think I would pick Bio and Chem and ignore Ag unless you need the extra subject because the workload in those two would be more than enough to worry about.

Edit: Just seen what subjects your dropping and I think you could definitely do it if you're interested in them. You need to kind of obsess yourself with them. Not all the time but occasionally :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If I decide Medicine is the career I want to really do, honestly, do you think it would be possible to take up those 3 subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Ag-Science)?
    Very doable if you're willing to put in the work.
    I got 510 in the Mocks this year, which I know would not be enough for Medicine. However, if I was able to drop a lot of minor subjects, in my case (Maths, Irish, French, English) I feel I could achieve 550/560 points. I also would be eligible for the HEAR scheme if I wanted to study Med. which would possibly give me a little breathing room as regards points.
    You can't drop any of the matriculation subjects. You need to get your points and matriculation requirements from the same sitting of the LC. I.e. You need English, Irish, Maths, Chemistry/Biology and for most colleges French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Very doable if you're willing to put in the work.

You can't drop any of the matriculation subjects. You need to get your points and matriculation requirements from the same sitting of the LC. I.e. You need English, Irish, Maths, Chemistry/Biology and for most colleges French.

Wait so if I resit I'll have to do English!? I can't learn a whole new course :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement