Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do?!?! Decisions, decisions......

• 16-12-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

My ps3 bit the dust recently after many years of good service (it was a 60gb launch model!). I was all set to save up the required amount for a ps4 and buy the thing! But then it was my friends 21st and he decided to go with a gaming pc which opened my eyes to how good pc gaming can actually be! He bought a pre-built machine (boo, tssk, tssk!) so he's been absolutely no help when it came to looking at parts and putting a rig together. With the recent acquisition of a christmas job I set a budget of ~800 to build myself a pc. After tedious hours of research i decided to go with whats been deemed the "sweet spot" on several sites for price to performance ratio, an i5 cpu and an r9 280x. But which i5 should I go for!?! To make matters worse my parents and brother offered to buy me a ps4 as a combined birthday/christmas present because I've been so depressed without any games! Now I really don't know what to do, I'm mainly interested in AAA titles like the AC series, Arkham series, fps shooters, far cry etc. Will someone like me really get the use out of an 800 quid gaming pc or am I better off sticking to a console??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Copy and paste the first post in this thread, and we can help you out. Odds are you're looking at a pretty nice build though. 4690K/GTX 970 probably.

Get your parents to buy you the GPU or something. A 970 will be less money than a PS4, and who knows, maybe you could work two of them into a build, which would absolutely stomp all over any console, including the PS5 and XBox Two as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bassface93

1. What is your budget? [€800-850]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming ( AC series, Arkham series, fps shooters, far cry etc.)]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Kingston 60gb ssd(brand new)] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [I would like a monitor but willing to forego it for now to stay in budget (unless someone can squeeze one in]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [any size!.]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [no]

I probably should add that I dont particularly want to spend any more than the proposed budget. I could afford to add more money to the budget but building a world-beater is not my priority. I'm a crummy student that needs money for drink and food next semester so I'm trying to factor that into what I can spend on a pc!

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [after christmas! (is there an equivalent to january sales for pc components?]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Quick one, not perfect by any means but maybe a good starting point.

xgVAnM1.png

If you are going overclocking then a aftermarket cooler would be advisable. I'll have a poke around for some wiggle room so squeeze one in.

Also, you can get some money off each of those parts by using the discount site http://geizhals.de/
    For example, you get €10 off the CPU by putting it though there.

To give you an idea, that above build comes out at €828 when you put everything through Geizhals. You'll have to do it yourself (the links won't work), but that's what you can expect. That lets you squeeze a Hyper 212 Evo (CPU cooler) into the build for €2 over the original price above. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On the contrary, for someone buying a first Gaming PC, I would not go for an overclockable CPU - no need.

Get a standard i5-4440 or something along those lines, use the stock cooler, use the difference to get a nice SSD, should easily fit a 128GB in there. You will appreciate that a lot more.

The default assumption seems to always be go for an overclockable CPU if you can afford it, but really there isn't a need in my opinion.

Some processors really want to be overclocked, like the G3258, or most of AMD's processors because they're relatively slow, but when you've got a budget of 800 euro, the average first time buyer doesn't need to be buying with overclocking in mind because stock Intel i5's (and even i3's) are fast enough that you don't need to overclock for gaming.

• Advertisement

On the contrary, for someone buying a first Gaming PC, I would not go for an overclockable CPU - no need.

Get a standard i5-4440 or something along those lines, use the stock cooler, use the difference to get a nice SSD, should easily fit a 128GB in there. You will appreciate that a lot more.

The default assumption seems to always be go for an overclockable CPU if you can afford it, but really there isn't a need in my opinion.

Some processors really want to be overclocked, like the G3258, or most of AMD's processors because they're relatively slow, but when you've got a budget of 800 euro, the average first time buyer doesn't need to be buying with overclocking in mind because stock Intel i5's (and even i3's) are fast enough that you don't need to overclock for gaming.

If you go this route, you'll have lots more money for a nicer case, some good quiet fans and all sorts of nice stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Not looking to hijack the thread or anything, ha, but I'm thinking about doing a similar build myself. Would a stock i5 be ok for gaming while screen recording/streaming to sites like twitch?

Not looking to hijack the thread or anything, ha, but I'm thinking about doing a similar build myself. Would a stock i5 be ok for gaming while screen recording/streaming to sites like twitch?

I can stream/record with a i5 2500k at stock just fine.
    Using something like Nvidia Shadowplay has a near negligible impact on FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thanks for letting me know.

Being my first build, I'm trying to find a balance between spending silly money for what I'd need and shooting myself in the foot, ha.

I won't be buying the parts for a while, so I don't want to waste anyone's time just yet with asking for specs and the likes. I'll be back when I have the time and money to put it together :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

By the way. When we say no need to get an overclockable CPU, we mean the non-k versions.

• Advertisement

So I've taken what was said in the above comments and put together a rig together where I switched out the processor and motherboard for non-overclockable components. I'm on a crappy mac in college that won't let me take screenshots so here's a quicky copy and paste of what it looks like.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590, 4x 3.30GHz, boxed 181,52 €
    MoBo: ASRock H97 Anniversary, Sockel 1150, ATX 70,75 €
    RAM: 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 63,89 €
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil 51,65 €
    PSU: Thermaltake Berlin 630W 43,89 €
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 3 x DisplayPort 326,81 €
    HDD: WD Green 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZRX) 48,96 €
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB schwarz 11,49 €

Total: 798,96 €

This price is after the geizhals.de and it comes nearly bang on the budget. I decided on the 4590 after reading this comparison of 30 different cpus on gaming performance.The 4690k is only marginally better than the 4590 with a similar graphics card to the one in my build so I could see the reasoning in knocking some cash off with a stock i5. Does this build seem like a good one and would all components be compatible? Any recommendations for a decently priced monitor ??

If you have a spare USB stick around, you can drop the optical drive entirely. Depends on if you use CDs much, but I've found I only used them for installing Windows (which you can avoid with aforementioned USB stick), and you could use the money saved for a third-party CPU cooler*.

*Yes, I'd still recommend one. I can't emphasis enough how ****ing annoying the stock cooler is to listen to.

I've dropped the optical drive and added a hyper 212 evo which brings me up to 815. Would it be worth spending an extra €100 or so (thats all i've got to spend) on a monitor when I have a 32" 1080p tv that sits on my desk anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was not doing pc builds for some time, but 800eu Pc can now have a gtx 970?!

comment-friday-damn.jpg?w=474

I would still go with OCable CPU, mobo and cooler. It might push budget a few quid now, but it will pay off later on. No one says that you need to oc right off the bat ( even if its piss easy to do ), but later on it will if you need extra horse power it will be all ready to go. Swapping whole mobo/cpu/cooler and then reselling it will be pain in a hole. Then again a good chuck of people here love pain in a hole stuff! :P

bassface93 wrote: »
    I've dropped the optical drive and added a hyper 212 evo which brings me up to 815. Would it be worth spending an extra €100 or so (thats all i've got to spend) on a monitor when I have a 32" 1080p tv that sits on my desk anyway?

Nah, hold off on that until you can spend ~€200 and get a delicious IPS monitor.

bassface93 wrote: »
    This price is after the geizhals.de and it comes nearly bang on the budget. I decided on the 4590 after reading this comparison of 30 different cpus on gaming performance.The 4690k is only marginally better than the 4590 with a similar graphics card to the one in my build so I could see the reasoning in knocking some cash off with a stock i5.

You are my favourite kind of poster. /noHomo

Advertisement