Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And Dublin's newest taxi rank is at.....

Options
  • 04-01-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

O'Connell Bridge.

I am sure our bus driving posters here will share for us the dangers of such a location, as they had to put up with same for a time on the southbound side not too long ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

On the bridge itself? Or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

one word
    assholes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

random wrote: »
    On the bridge itself? Or am I missing something?

Yes, on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

it's just DCC's way of saying we want to make commuting by car hell and use public transport your local "cheap" taxi service

it's a death trap and someone is going to be seriously injured or killed on that bridge because of some idiot deciding we need more space for the already ludicris amount of taxi's in the capital. it's bad enough they drive in a left hand turn only lane going straight without putting a taxi rank on a meridian.
    **** what will they think of next. taxi ranks in the middle of the road, or pedestrianised streets like grafton street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Didn't notice this last night at all ... I guess I'll just have to open my eyes wider tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They've also moved the bus stops that were outside the Ulster Bank to the bridge now. clever stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cyclists are not very happy with this.
    Is it only in operation 8pm-6am?

random wrote: »
    Didn't notice this last night at all ... I guess I'll just have to open my eyes wider tonight!

I only spotted it on Thursday evening, myself. I was on a bus across the bridge and when I noticed 4 taxis pulled up on the bridge, I saw the markings and sign to confirm same.

I think I may well open a new thread to list some of the more daft taxi ranks around Dublin, if only to highlight how badly thought out they are for both cabbie and punter alike.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Cyclists are not very happy with this.
    Is it only in operation 8pm-6am?

According to the signage, this would be the case, yes.

• Advertisement

yes in theory it says a certain time but ,thats if you can read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

So we have a a cordoned cycle lane that becomes a taxirank and bus stop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And conform with every known and future Safety Directive from the EU/USA/NASA/TCD/UCD/ and The Vatican.....:D

Just to refresh my memory people...can anybody tell me exactly HOW MUCH the Dublin City Manager`s salary is these days..?....because whatever that amount is....it aint HALF enough considering the massive leaps in Stand Up Comedy that the Office Is curently providing for Dubliners and Visitors alike !!

Today,Wood Quay,Tomorrow........The Laughter Lounge..and then.....The North Wall ferry..??? :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

it's bad enough they drive in a left hand turn only lane going straight without putting a taxi rank on a meridian.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/meridian
    me·rid·i·an /məˈrɪdiən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-rid-ee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. Geography.
    a. a great circle of the earth passing through the poles and any given point on the earth's surface.
    b. the half of such a circle included between the poles.

Every point on the planet is on some meridian.

Advertisement