Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New taxi tank on O'Connell bridge

Options
  • 20-12-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭

According to a thread over on archiseek, the previously closed left-lane on O'Connell bridge northbound has been converted to a night-time taxi rank. Prepare for lots of taxis coming up the wrong lane on Westmoreland, not following the road markings, pulling in suddenly from the middle lane and pulling out even more suddenly when they pick up a fare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's all ok once they use the hazard lights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The old "random manoeuvre about to happen" signal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

markpb wrote: »
    According to a thread over on archiseek, the previously closed left-lane on O'Connell bridge northbound has been converted to a night-time taxi rank. Prepare for lots of taxis coming up the wrong lane on Westmoreland, not following the road markings, pulling in suddenly from the middle lane and pulling out even more suddenly when they pick up a fare.

That is so stupid! There's a rank 200m up the road and the only way the taxi can avoid going that way is to cross 3 lanes in 30m to turn right and go along the quays or do a Uturn back southside. That bridge is already very dangerous for cyclists - both getting from Westmoreland St onto it and then trying to edge a bus to the right so you can squeeze into O Connell St itself.

Have you a link for this info? Thankfully I haven't been cycling that way at night this week to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I've never found that bridge (South to North) being dodgy...
    trying to edge a bus to the right...

probably because I stay in the middle of the lane all the way across it to prevent this kind of thing happening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

beans wrote: »
    I've never found that bridge (South to North) being dodgy...

probably because I stay in the middle of the lane all the way across it to prevent this kind of thing happening :)

Spot on! I'm not blaming the bus drivers here, it's my own fault but with the extra space to the left on the bridge (where I suppose the taxi rank will be), I naturally drift more left than I should while crossing the bridge only to suffer for it when the roadway narrows. In my case, I'm usually cycling fairly slowly there so I don't like holding up the traffic. I suppose I could speed up and hold the lane but I won't be doing that if there's a taxi rank on the bridge!

edit: Thanks for the links

• Registered Users Posts: 78,319 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure what has been agreed.

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/by_taxi/
    Review of Current Taxi Rank Bye-Laws

Dublin City Council is in the process of reviewing the 2004 Taxi Rank Bye-Laws. Draft Bye-Laws were published on the 7th August 2007 and these may be inspected in the Roads and Traffic Department, Civic Offices, Dublin 8 during office hours during the period 7th August to 6th September 2007, inclusive. The City Council will consider any submissions made in relation to the proposed Bye-Laws. Submissions should be made in writing to the Executive Manager, Roads and Traffic Department or by email to traffic@dublincity.ie and received before 4.30 p.m. on the 20th September 2007.

Draft Taxi Rank Bye-Laws 2007

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Morgan wrote: »
    The old "random manoeuvre about to happen" signal...
    That's what the TAXI sign is for, once I see one on a car I know there is a small but significant chance the driver will do some thing stupid.

IMHO any taxi that changes direction while the hazards are on should loose their license unless they are giving hand signals. It's blatently inconveinencing or putting danger other road users.

:mad: Hazard lights do not entitle you to cause a Hazard :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flippythewarvet

i thought this was going to be a thread about some kind of taxi/ tank hybrid that had its premiere on o connell bridge?!

I shall bid you good day!

Advertisement