Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Options
  • 06-09-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Second Captains, the former Off The Ball starlets now podcasting via the Irish Times four times a week, are coming to Television.

Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan "discuss the week's major sporting stories, interview a sports star, and look at clips from the RTE archive" (although hopefully it will be more exciting than that)

The lads will tog out for the telly on Tuesday September 10th at 10.30pm on RTE2 (after the Austria v Ireland World Cup Qualifier), more shows will follow.

1240415_567169139997505_1995972663_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Ken is rehearsing his "outburst" already

• Registered Users Posts: 19,584 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus, i really hope it goes well for them. I've gotten into the habit of listening to the Thursday podcasts on Friday night (might be a mistake this week, with the match in a few mins and that).

They're still every bit as good as they were, but it's just not quite the same when it's not live.

Good luck, lads.

(Just thinking, this could (eventually) lead to Apres Match Second Captains. Ha, I'm laughing already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It could go either way. Live Television is not easy, lots of things can go wrong. I think they have four shows planned, so at least they will get a few chances.

It would help if Ireland get a good result in the match beforehand. I remember Skinner and Baddiel doing a live episode of Fantasy Football the night England were eliminated from the World Cup (possibly France '98) - it felt like they were presenting from a morgue.

I think Eoin McDevitt is a class interviewer, great to see him doing a high profile Television gig (he has done some presenting for Setanta in the past).

There is a decent interview with the lads in The Irish Times today about their departure from Newstalk, the Podcasts and the new Television programme

This is what McDevitt says about the new show ...
    “Skinner and Baddiel are one of our influences, those Fantasy Football League shows we used to love when we were growing up. And it’s got a TFI Friday sort of feel to it,” says Horgan. “We’re also influenced by Nighthawks in some respects. The format is a big open space with a live band, a bar, late-night live show. It will be a bit rough and ready, a mixture of sports and entertainment that’s a bit of craic.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/second-captains-find-a-new-pitch-1.1518580?page=1

Nice one Skid. Saw an ad for it before the match last night. Looks like it should be good. Think i saw Murph being lifted in on a big armchair - presume it's an entrance for some sort of Challeng Murph bit. Again, the live stuff that's missing from the podcasts, so nice one. There also seemed to be some sort of penalty taking business, which may bit a bit too novelty-ish for my liking.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nice one Skid. Saw an ad for it before the match last night. Looks like it should be good. Think i saw Murph being lifted in on a big armchair - presume it's an entrance for some sort of Challeng Murph bit. Again, the live stuff that's missing from the podcasts, so nice one. There also seemed to be some sort of penalty taking business, which may bit a bit too novelty-ish for my liking.

Yeah, there might be a danger that they try to cram too much in - Nighthawks, TFI Friday and Fantasy Football were all good shows but they need to keep things reasonably focussed.

I think the footage on the trailer is from the non-broadcast pilot they filmed a few months ago, hopefully they have enough discipline to cut out any features which didn't work then.

How many minutes into the show will we be before Ken decides to be "edgy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Temaz wrote: »

It'll be great to see Ken back. The man is a legend!

It'll be great to see Ken back. The man is a legend!

He's not really. I don't see why he needs to argue every point someone makes. I had to tune out of the newstalk show due to him and was pretty happy when he left.

I also hope this gets cancelled.

Way to give it a chance, man.

• Advertisement

Think i saw Murph being lifted in on a big armchair - presume it's an entrance for some sort of Challeng Murph bit. .

Not an armchair at all, it's some kind of podium yokey. Where the hell did i get armchair? Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He's not really. I don't see why he needs to argue every point someone makes. I had to tune out of the newstalk show due to him and was pretty happy when he left.

But shur you wouldn't be watching it anyhow, so why would you hope it would be cancelled...:rolleyes:

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, there might be a danger that they try to cram too much in - Nighthawks, TFI Friday and Fantasy Football were all good shows but they need to keep things reasonably focussed.

I think the footage on the trailer is from the non-broadcast pilot they filmed a few months ago, hopefully they have enough discipline to cut out any features which didn't work then.

And on the first of today's podcasts Ciaran 'Murph' Murphy, described the TV show thus** " If you take Noel's House Party, Pat Sharp's Funhouse and The Crystal Maze, you've got about 65% of the show.

So that's Nighthawks, TFI Friday, Fantasy Football, Noel's House Party and The Crystal Maze cited as influences - what could possibly go wrong?! :D

** Available on Itunes and via the Irish Times on Soundcloud

• Registered Users Posts: 16 maynoothlizard

It could go either way. Live Television is not easy, lots of things can go wrong. I think they have four shows planned, so at least they will get a few chances.

Only four? Doesn't give them much of a chance if there are teething problems. Does that mean if the first shows are shaky then the whole thing will just be written off?

Hope it works out. Early writes well, and there should be at least one sports show that aims to be better than bland.

Rte website says the first show is tonight at 10.30, and they will be on Wednesday at 10.50 for the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,801 ✭✭✭take everything

It would help if Ireland get a good result in the match beforehand. I remember Skinner and Baddiel doing a live episode of Fantasy Football the night England were eliminated from the World Cup (possibly France '98) - it felt like they were presenting from a morgue.

I think Eoin McDevitt is a class interviewer, great to see him doing a high profile Television gig (he has done some presenting for Setanta in the past).

All those lads are very underappreciated.
    Said hundreds of times before, but their wry, insightful take on sport and matters around sport is a breath of fresh air.
    Very capable guys.

Looking forward to tonight. Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,801 ✭✭✭take everything

In fairness everything they do is done with a huge dollop of self-awareness if not irony.

The ad just comes across as it being Ireland's answer to Soccer AM.

But I'm sure it will be much more "edgy"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The ad just comes across as it being Ireland's answer to Soccer AM.

But I'm sure it will be much more "edgy"

Kinda explains why there are only 4 episodes so. All the soccerettes will have been used up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Really looking forward to this tonight, not quite sure yet if they will be able to make the transition to TV (although McDevitt was good in his time with Setanta) however fair play to RTE for giving them a chance. Still recovering from Sean O'Rourke's interrogation of the boys yesterday and the strange feeling I got when he actually called Ciaran Murphy "Murph".

• Advertisement

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this tonight, not quite sure yet if they will be able to make the transition to TV (although McDevitt was good in his time with Setanta) however fair play to RTE for giving them a chance. Still recovering from Sean O'Rourke's interrogation of the boys yesterday and the strange feeling I got when he actually called Ciaran Murphy "Murph".

Woah, totally missed that. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Woah, totally missed that. What happened?

Apologies I have made it sound more dramatic than it was, I am just having difficulty adjusting to Sean O'Rourke handling more lighthearted topics. Even when he is being relaxed it still feels like he is grilling someone:D
    Anyway it was just the lads explaining what the show is all about and why they left Newstalk, worth a listen back on the RTE radio player.

Second Captains Live, TONIGHT 10.30PM. Featuring Derval O'Rourke, Oisin McConville, Richie Sadlier and Ronan O'Gara. Music from Hermitage Green, don't miss it.

https://www.facebook.com/secondcaptains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

And on the first of today's podcasts Ciaran 'Murph' Murphy, described the TV show thus** " If you take Noel's House Party, Pat Sharp's Funhouse and The Crystal Maze, you've got about 65% of the show.

So that's Nighthawks, TFI Friday, Fantasy Football, Noel's House Party and The Crystal Maze cited as influences - what could possibly go wrong?! :D

** Available on Itunes and via the Irish Times on Soundcloud

And don't forget the gunge.....lots and lots of gunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's a good panel. Same as the pilot?

That's a good panel. Same as the pilot?

That's true, I think Derval O'Rourke and Richie Sadlier were there.

Richie Sadlier is like the Sixth Second Captain these days, he seems to be most of their shows. He should be good on the live show, he usually has good anecdotes (RIP Frank, never forgotten)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

JM Skipton wrote: »

Link to the interview here

http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2013/0909/20130909_rteradio1-seanorourke-secondcapt_c20434523_20434530_232_drm_.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

"Second Captains Live, TONIGHT 10.30PM. Featuring Derval O'Rourke, Oisin McConville, Richie Sadlier and Ronan O'Gara. Music from Hermitage Green, don't miss it."

There's a waste of about four minutes right there. It'll be a tight enough hour without trying to squeeze music in too.

Other than that, I hope it makes the transition well. They were great on Off The Ball - it just isn't the same anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm looking forward to this, I used to listen to the lads all the time driving home from work, I hope it goes well for them........

Great OP as usual Skid!....:)

Watching the Ireland match now, I'm only imagining what they are going to say!!

• Advertisement

what could possibly go wrong?! :D

McDevitt using my material there, things must be bad :D

Advertisement