Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Election Special 2014*

Options
  • 24-05-2014 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

Anybody listening to the coverage.. I'm on Newstalk..

Lynn Boylan, the newcomer, on 24% in Dublin.... I bet she doesnt believe Gerry was in the IRA either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Mary Hanafin on 14%, and her "running mate" Kate Feeney on 13.5%...

I cant believe that people would vote for Mary Hanafin after what her party did to the country.. We really are a country of gobsh1tes... Does she have to give back her 140k a year pension now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Totally unbelievable that SF could blag their way into Europe ! Still baffled as regards their EU credentials /policies ? If it's a protest /anti establishment vote they will be found out through time ! I don't think their "Tiocfaidh ár lá" will cut the mustard in Brussels !!

Completely agree Woodville.. I also think RTE have some serious questions to answer. A few weeks back they gave Mary Hanafin a half hour of self promotion coverage with Marian Finucane... She started every sentence with "When I was Minister" and invariably every anecdote ended with her saving the day for her department. It was actually nauseating the level of conceit and self regard that the woman possesses.

At the time she said that it was a "possibility" that she would run for election again, but for anybody listening to the interview, it was very clear that the interview itself was the only proof anybody needed that she WOULD be running in the next set of elections.

Now RTE did not afford this time to ANY of the other candidates, and any of them who did get air time did not get such an unchallenged love-in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

If the apparent unstoppable march of SF continues, it will make for an interesting General Election whenever it comes ! The thought of SF outpolling FF ??
    Time for FG /FF to consider the unthinkable maybe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Mary Hanafin on 14%, and her "running mate" Kate Feeney on 13.5%...

I cant believe that people would vote for Mary Hanafin after what her party did to the country.. We really are a country of gobsh1tes... Does she have to give back her 140k a year pension now?
    The old die hard biddies have nothing else on the ballot paper they could possibly contemplate voting for , look around in any public place and the reality dawns .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,644 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Abie Philbin Bowman on RTE...that is all.

I'm not hearing him on my radio?? Noel Whelan is dominating what I'm listening to.. Not sure he appreciated Pat Rabitte's observation that "Noel would have known well" how things worked in FF, given that he went for election for FF in the late 1990s..

"The advantage of incumbency... "

Mary Lou is a great one for playing the poor mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm not hearing him on my radio?? Noel Whelan is dominating what I'm listening to.. Not sure he appreciated Pat Rabitte's observation that "Noel would have known well" how things worked in FF, given that he went for election for FF in the late 1990s..

No harm to remind people of his past, Noel Whelan likes to airbrush that period from his history. It has to impact on his objectivity.

Sorry Skid X, I meant to respond to you more quickly, but I had to run to the jacks after listening to Mary Hanafin...

• Advertisement

Nice to hear Pat Kenny anchoring the coverage on Newstalk. He knows his stuff.

I don't remember him ever doing much Election Day coverage for RTE, he usually did TV interviews the next day when most of the results were finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I hear him but I can't understand one word he's saying. Slow down man. This could go on till Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm watching them on RTE News Now. They can't show all the interviewees tthere's some many in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There will be some upheaval in Labour after this.
    Expect the leadership to change very soon and a huge battle for power in the party.
    Sinn Fein will have to show the people that they have the ability in order to hold onto any gains made especially in Europe.

FG and FF will probably be unchanged although FG will lose a lot of council seats.

Skid X wrote: »
    Nice to hear Pat Kenny anchoring the coverage on Newstalk. He knows his stuff..

Ivan and Chris were doing it earlier.. I didnt know Pat had taken over. I'll switch over to him now.

Does Alison O'Connor have to turn every issue in to a sexist one?

One of my gripes about these early election programmes is how they talk about early tallies as if they are Gospel.

In most areas you see huge regional variations, so you can't read too much into how one corner of the constituency has voted. RTE were talking as if Longford/Westmeath was going to be very close earlier, now they are saying Gabrielle McFadden might take over 50%. I know they have to fill airtime but their analysis should have more rigour.

Could Mary O'Rourke not take one day off from the radio and go down and support her son at his election count? (she's on Newstalk now)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could Mary O'Rourke not take one day off from the radio and go down and support her son at his election count? (she's on Newstalk now)

You get money for going on t.v./ radio shows and you don't for attending a count.
    She is FF after all so it's all about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nice to hear Pat Kenny anchoring the coverage on Newstalk. He knows his stuff.

He's still sharp as a tack: reporter going through the Euro tallies there and missed Mary Fitzpatrick, no way that would get past him...

"Just to remind you, John The Baptist lost his head"...

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

He's still sharp as a tack: reporter going through the Euro tallies there and missed Mary Fitzpatrick, no way that would get past him...
    Claire Byrne on Radio1 :rolleyes: DingDong nonsense between two TDs there

snubbleste wrote: »
    Claire Byrne on Radio1 :rolleyes: DingDong nonsense between two TDs there

Have to say though, when Claire Byrne first got the job, I thought she was just a pretty face and shouldnt have been on a serious political program... She certainly has improved hugely, in a way that Mary Wilson hasnt, and while not being as sharp as Sean O'Rourke or Pat Kenny, she is certainly more than passable as a presenter.

I think Noel Whelan gets far too much air time.. And I always find it amusing and slightly disingenuous when he refers to Fianna Fail as "they"....

Have to say though, when Claire Byrne first got the job, I thought she was just a pretty face and shouldnt have been on a serious political program... She certainly has improved hugely, in a way that Mary Wilson hasnt, and while not being as sharp as Sean O'Rourke or Pat Kenny, she is certainly more than passable as a presenter.
    You clearly did not hear her presenting TheLateDebate a few years ago or on Newstalk.. Diabolical
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70313721
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61069820

snubbleste wrote: »
    You clearly did not hear her presenting TheLateDebate a few years ago or on Newstalk.. Diabolical

I'm actually on that thread under my old name agreeing that she is diabolical.. What I'm saying is that I think she's improved hugely..

I'm actually on that thread under my old name agreeing that she is diabolical.. What I'm saying is that I think she's improved hugely..
    I disagree. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

They're really going overboard with use of the term "health warning" on RTE, every piece of information being relayed is coming with a "health warning". It's in every second bloody sentence.

They're really going overboard with use of the term "health warning" on RTE, every piece of information being relayed is coming with a "health warning". It's in every second bloody sentence.
    Is that because RTE is a government mouthpiece? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Yeah, annoying alright.

It's really caught on when giving tally results. Lots of the local stations using the same phrase. Starting to annoy a bit! (just a bit).

"Latest tally result from Box X is ......., and I should say this comes with a health warning"

• Advertisement

Noel Kelly with egg on his face there.

Advertisement