Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claire byrne I've had enough!!

Options
  • 09-07-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I have to say I'm a big newstalk fan, I listen to the majority of shows bar moncrief as his voice grates on me.

I gave Ivan and Claire a chance and to be fair Ivan has been pretty solid and pretty much carry's Claire's lack of talent but today was just down right laziness and I've had enough.

So their discussing news of the worlds hacking of mobile phone's in the uk.

claire says "why are these people not being prosecuted"
    Caller: "They're in prison Claire"

WTF!!!!

It's time for her to go she is completely ruining the show and adds nothing but the odd dead end question after Ivan's finished with the prey

surely the breakfast shows ratings must be in the gutter at this stage

newstalk get some balls and get rid of this clueless amatuer

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I gave up on her a long long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excuse me quoteing myself but it seems appropriate
    Claire if you are reading then take on board some of our views - less personal opinion less
    "the big I am" and more background reading for the topics you'll be covering the following day
    . The rest of the shows failings are the fault of production and managment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I stopped listening to her a long time ago. She is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yes, we've long established that she's an awful presenter but why hasn't anybody at Newstalk noticed it? She's as dry as an old scab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This point demands constant addressing OP. I've long since stopped tuning in to newstalk in the morning because of her ineptitude. Her TV appearances on Vincent Browne and Q & A were truly facepalm stuff, populist vacous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wella

Gave up on the breakfast show on Newstalk too ages ago, about 18 months ago I think. I found the entire show too boring; the presenters had absolutely no personality. Also, it was so commercial, everything was sponsored by this or that (sounds silly to say that about a commercial station I know, but it was really OTT on the breakfast show for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

I cant stand her either, She is truly awful. I listen every morning but have to turn off at times due to being so embarrassed for her. Some of her interviewing techniques are so ignorant and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Have to say I agree with the sentiments on this thread. The problem is morning Ireland is not an option as it has tended to pump out government propaganda IMO. Claire is more suited to a TV3 type audience I feel, where I expect the newstalk breakfast show to be more heavyweight. Not maybe as heavy as a BBC radio 4, more like a 5live.

Not necessarily Claire Byrne related or her fault, but the other morning you had to cringe at the interview done with the poor father of the man shot dead Saturday night in Dublin 15. It was awful, barely 2 days after his son was shot. They explained that the man wanted to come on, but IMO somebody should have stepped in and said give them space and time and let's hear them speak up in a week or two, just like Roy Collins Dad is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've always thought she was a bit vacuous and out of her depth presenting a current affairs program. She'd be better presenting a Talk to Joe type program where she can vent her own personal opinions. Ivan Yates, whilst not the best radio presenter in the world, is far sharper and clued up on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Claire seems to be labouring under the impression that anyone cares what her opinion is. I thought she was there to ask questions and facilitate discussion, but it seems she is there to give us the benefit of her wisdom on each and every subject covered.

Along the same lines, George Hook is becoming increasingly preachy in recent weeks.

The fact that these two (and they are far from alone in this) can command prime-time radio slots really does highlight the dearth of talent available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Ger Gilroy was streets ahead of her. Why they got rid of him and not her baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They headhunted her from TV3 - wasn't there some sort of court injunction stopping her from starting with Newstalk for a while? Axeing her would be an embarrassing climbdown.

Yep she was the centre of a tug of love, hard to credit now.

She is on hollidays this week I think, anyway the programme was better for her absence from what I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The final straw for me was her attempt at a Paxman-style grilling of Eamon Gilmore. I blame Eoghan Harris.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eoghan-harris/killer-question-that-left-coris-champion-speechless-1756569.html

My week by Eoghan Harris was amusing read (for all the wrong reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Someone forward this thread to Newstalk...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The final straw for me was her attempt at a Paxman-style grilling of Eamon Gilmore. I blame Eoghan Harris.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eoghan-harris/killer-question-that-left-coris-champion-speechless-1756569.html
    That's a truly sickening article, the bootlicking is intense.
    In recent weeks I continually claimed that Newstalk's breakfast, lunchtime and afternoon current affairs are better than those on RTE. Claire Byrne, Eamon Keane and George Hook are informal but incisive, courteous but cutting, down home but not deferential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ivan is doing well though. The only issue I have with him is his habit of cutting people off. He sometimes cuts across them when answering questions and I find it a bit annoying but it's obvious that he's the heavyweight on the programme alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

anyone know what happened ger gilroy?

sorry if its been discussed before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

anyone know what happened ger gilroy?

He was moved to an editorial role in the station and he presents fridays Off The Ball. At the moment he is filling in for Eamon Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

I cannot believe anyone would ask why Ger Gilroy was shifted out of this programme. He was incredibly lightweight. He seems to drag down every programme he's involved in. In fact I though he even gave Claire a certain gravitas when he was there so bad was he.

As for Newstalk presenters generally, the station goes in for "telling it like it is" which is grand except for two serious problems. The presenters view of the world in then known and the choice of guests (the same ones crop up again and again) tend to reflect that which weakens the credibility of the presenter.

And secondly opinion is something that is successful only when they person offering it has some achievement or external credibility factor. Having access to a microphone is not enough. In that sense, there is at least a chance Yates knows what he is on about.

Having said that I gave up on the Breakfast show long ago. There was only so much of Ger Gilroy offering to email out links to the latest "greatest goal of all time" from the Spanish league at the weekend I could take.

It was also ludicrous having a sport segment at 7.45 on top of the half-hour between 8.30 and 9 simply because it was the only area where Gilroy was comfortable. I am sure Yates will have improved it but frankly I've heard so much of him yakking on in the media over the past 18 months that I will hardly bother going back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Clare Byrne is terrible, I gave up listening ages ago, so did my parents who can't believe how bad she is.
    You would think that she would be embarrassed at being caught out at having a complete lack of knowledge of a particular subject and she'd make sure it wouldn't happen again, but it happens almost every day!
    I love when she tries to "grill" someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I have only really listened to her once or twice, but I do think her research, or lack of it,lets her down. The station must employ researchers, obviously if they do, Claire doesn't get to read it.

She is a weak link in a dodgy chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I have only really listened to her once or twice, but I do think her research, or lack of it,lets her down. The station must employ researchers, obviously if they do, Claire doesn't get to read it.

She is a weak link in a dodgy chain.

Not in any real sense I'd say. They probably get in yellow pack students with the concentration levels of a goldfish on speed who'll work for nothing.

It is unlikely they would have the in-depth knowledge of weighty current affairs stuff to do meaningful research. Googling is grand but you need to know what's to google.

Newstalk does the "we're not RTÉ and we have so much street cred because of this" angle and that will always appeal to a certain constituency but leads to some appallingly bad programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusfan

Have to agree with the majority sentiment in this thread but the mentioned Ms Byrne is no different from the vast majority of broadcasters in this country. Just witness Morning Ireland reviewing the Harry Potter opening last Wednesday. On the subject of romance Cathal Mac Coille asked "How far did they go?" Truly cringe inducing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Its brightened up my day that I found this thread.

Anytime I turn on the show and its getting less and less I am always compelled to text in abuse aimed at our Claire.

In fairness to her she reads out the odd one - One morning she actually admitted to being upset by my text which was very satisfying !

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

One of the lowest ebbs was some time ago, when Gilroy was either ill or on holiday, as Claire repeatedly mugged her way through the post-8.30 AM sports segment. Truly, truly, teeth-crunching-on-tin-foil-awfulness. And in no way is the colour of her hair relevant (sorry Claire, no "blonde card" to be played in response).

Have improved the enjoyment of my weekdays no end by avoiding all local radio stations in the car on the way to/from work and investing in an internet radio for the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You took the words out of my mouth. It always seemed to me that Ger Gilroy was a glorified sports reporter.

Still anything is better than Colm and Jim Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

orourkeda wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth. It always seemed to me that Ger Gilroy was a glorified sports reporter.

Still anything is better than Colm and Jim Jim

That reminds me, was that awful Colm and Jim Jim show on sunday nights canceled ? It was slit your wrists TV.

Advertisement