Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Shut-down jobs"

Options
  • 29-12-2007 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

I went back to work today.

Most people [I know all my mates do] seem to have `shut-down` jobs - where their office closes around December 21/22 and doesn`t re-open until January 2 or sometimes later. It means they`re forced to take holidays at Christmas whether they like it or not.

Where I work I just get three days off - December 25/26/27 - if one or two of these days falls on a weekend then I get the next working day/s off. Naturally I can take other days off if I want - out of my annual leave allocation. This year I had six left so I stopped work on December 14 [took 17/18/19/20/21/24 off].

This forced Christmas break is somewhat excessive in my opinion. What`s even more annoying is that my local Centra had no hot food available today [I couldn`t get a breakfast roll] as they assumed there wouldn`t be the demand. Likewise the deli I frequent for lunch is shut until 2 January.

You really notice it on internet forums where traffic is far quieter - a symptom of people mostly posting at work as opposed to home.

Anyone else think the break is too long?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got christmas day off. I'd have killed for more time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I can take my holidays whenever I want thanks.

Mmmmmmmmmm holidays. But yes I am off till the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The lack of breakfast rolls today was my equivalant of living in famine time

All gone back to Polski land id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

So will we cancel Christmas next year and all eat toast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Forky wrote: »
    I can take my holidays whenever I want thanks.

Same here - within reason - as we need around 40% of the staff working on days like Christmas Eve and the two before New Year.

It's the widespread shutdown or closure of places for almost a fortnight which is a bit galling.

• Advertisement

alan4cult wrote: »
    So will we cancel Christmas next year and all eat toast?

You're missing the point Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Anyone else think the break is too long?

Nope.

If I could get the rest of my life off work and paid for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You're missing the point Alan.
    There is a point?
    I find the break long but I look forward to it but the discussion of hot food with regard to taking days off does not merit a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have a "shut down" job - the sole perk of working in the public sector, and I love my christmas break. I spent 7 years in retail, where I got 2 months of aggro from customers coming up to christmas, 2 days off and then another 2 weeks of aggro over unwanted/broken toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My office was closed the 25th and 26th but I took time off either side and I'm not back in til Wednesday next week. :)

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote: »
    Nope.

If I could get the rest of my life off work and paid for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

+1

I mean, yes I agree.

<.<

alan4cult wrote: »
    There is a point?
    I find the break long but I look forward to it but the discussion of hot food with regard to taking days off does not merit a thread.

Ignore the reference to hot food then. It's only a side issue.
    Take it up with the moderators if you feel the thread is not merited.
    Although I'd interpret that as a particularly humourless course of action to take.

The point was alluded to above.
    wrote:
    It's the widespread shutdown or closure of places for almost a fortnight which is a bit galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm a student and work for myself on the weekends/any time ive free so take holidays as I feel... I'm not going to even think about work until at least the 2nd week in January... sure it's what Christmas is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I was in work for 12 hours Christmas day last year. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

This is the busiest time of year for me, so i only take 25&26 off, i'd give my right nut to have more time of for Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was meant to have last monday til today off but had to cover inept staff after stephens day. to be honest i was glad to work to stave off the boredom. xmas is she-ite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've been on holidays since the 18th August 2003. :p

However, in 1979 I worked 6 straight 24-hour shifts from the 23rd December.* So being off at Christmas is nice, believe me.

*If you're trying to get your head around this, it means I turned up for work at 9 am on 23/12 and went home at 9 am on 29/12.** This is officially why slow coach is mad [sometimes].***

**This is true.

***This may not be true. But it's my theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »

A break from work is welcome yes - that's what I use my annual leave allocation for. The regular three days I get off at Christmas are not part of this allocation.

I have no desire to work in a US-type culture either. The point I have been trying to make is that it is great to be off over Christmas - I was off for two weeks but it was voluntary, not imposed upon me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I agree completely.

I'm pretty much the only one back in work this week as I didn't see any point wasting my annual leave at such a miserable time of year.

Too bad the central heating is turned off and there is no where to get lunch.

I'm lucky that I can choose when to take my leave though. I'd be really pissed off if I was told I had to take 2 weeks out of my annual leave in order to celebrate the birth of the baby jesus... surely there would be a discrimination case there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I was off from the 14th to the 28th, and I'm in from the 28th to the 4th. I was forced to take holidays before the end of year as they wouldn't carry over - I didn't want to be off from the 14th to the 28th. We close for 2 days a year, xmas day and new years day, yet i was working both this year. I was on call for 6 hours xmas morning, 5am to 11am. I'm on call from 5am to 5pm on new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Senna wrote: »
    This is the busiest time of year for me, so i only take 25&26 off, i'd give my right nut to have more time of for Xmas.

Same here. I'd have liked a week off so I could have spent it with the missus.

For people who work in such places that close down for almost a fortnight over the Christmas period.

- do these days off count as part of your annual leave allocation?

Surely the bank holidays [25/26/1] don't?

daveirl wrote: »

Pretty much the same as my employer - shuts a half day Christmas Eve, 25/26/27, all the bank holidays and Good Friday. Have 25 days leave after that.

But that wouldn't cover you if you wanted to be off until January 2 as December 28 and 31 are working days so that would be two days off it already. Plus more if the company finished up on December 19 or 20 [like some did].

For people who work in such places that close down for almost a fortnight over the Christmas period.

- do these days off count as part of your annual leave allocation?

Surely the bank holidays [25/26/1] don't?

I took 2 days out of my annual leave - Friday 28th and Monday 31st so I could have 12 days off. The other days are not affected by annual leave.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I took 2 days out of my annual leave - Friday 28th and Monday 31st so I could have 12 days off. The other days are not affected by annual leave.

Your choice I presume?

Nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah totally my choice. I could've worked yesterday if I wanted. I did it last year and it was so boring. No phone calls all day and most people in other areas that I liaise with as part of my job were all off til the New Year, which meant I sat in the office going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I agree completely.

I'm pretty much the only one back in work this week as I didn't see any point wasting my annual leave at such a miserable time of year.

Too bad the central heating is turned off and there is no where to get lunch.

I'm lucky that I can choose when to take my leave though. I'd be really pissed off if I was told I had to take 2 weeks out of my annual leave in order to celebrate the birth of the baby jesus... surely there would be a discrimination case there?

You're employed but you can always change employment?

Employers should be more discriminatory.

• Advertisement

Advertisement