Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you / would you wear your wedding ring?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

I've never taken it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No
    I take mine off going to bed every night...my OH hasn't taken his off since I put it on at the alter the day we got married !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

No
    My husband doesn't wear his. He doesn't generally wear jewellery and finds the ring uncomfortable. He tends to wear it on special occasions though, if we're going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I can't stand wearing rings so wouldn't wear one. However, I used to wear a silver chain with a wooden pendant that had alot of meaning to me. I lost it a couple of years ago but plan on remaking it and using that instead of a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No
    I wear the wedding band all day. Take it off for sleeping and washing.

Engagement ring I wear when I'm not at work. Only plain bands are allowed in most of the places I work, so rather than leave it in lockers, I just don't bring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

No
    Always wear my engagement ring and wedding ring. I only take them off at the gym so they don't get damaged and when house cleaning.
    I've also got a cheap set for taking with me instead for holidays that involve lots of outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

When I was single (well into my thirties!) I really appreciated wedding rings because they were an indicator of what men were totally out of bounds and what men I would have to make further investigations about to find out if they were attached or not!!!

Now that I am married I wear my engagement ring and wedding ring every day. They feel like part of me now and when I ocassionally run out the door without them I feel totally bare. My rings also remind me of my husband and our wedding day, which puts a big smile on my face.

My husband hasn't removed his wedding ring (at all!) since we got married. And for some reason I think that's really romantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

No
    skallywag wrote: »
    I myself will never wear a wedding ring, as I dislike wearing any jewellery whatsoever.

Someone I know well has a similar attitude, he started wearing it after he got married, but quickly found himself fidgeting / playing with it all the time, to the point that he was leaving it behind him in public places! He eventually just took it off completely.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on the same.

I don't wear jewellery, never have but since getting married I've always worn (except in the shower and when I'm asleep for some reason?) it .......... I have a strange sense of pride (the ring is a symbol of this for me) about marrying the woman of my dreams I guess.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

No
    my husband lost his at the wedding reception.

after 30 mins of panic, it turned up on the sink in the bathroom:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

No
    nether my husband or i wore rings before we got engaged/married,

when we picked out or engagement/wedding rings they key thing we went for (as unromantic as it sounds) was comfort, i wanted an engagement ring that wouldn't catch my hair as i brushed it or knock out the diamond everytime i bashed into something.

now i wear my rings all the time (with the exception of washing) and he does likewise, we wouldn't notice they are there unless we are looking at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

hoodwinked wrote:
    when we picked out or engagement/wedding rings they key thing we went for (as unromantic as it sounds) was comfort, i wanted an engagement ring that wouldn't catch my hair as i brushed it or knock out the diamond everytime i bashed into something.

Exactly. We did the same thing. I couldn't face it getting caught every time I was getting dressed etc. All my rings are flat and while they don't look flashy I wouldn't have it any other way as they're so easy to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I rarely wear my engagement ring, wear my wedding on and off, my husband has his on all the time, he probably would take it off every now and then but can't get it over his knuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

No
    I don't wear any jewellery at all, but since getting married, I only take my wedding ring off when going to the gym.

I wear it on my right hand though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Is op male or female. I don't know any married women who don't wear their rings. I do know some men who dont though.
    Poll is non representative of this.

As a man, I just never wore jewellery so just didn't see the point. I gave it a go at the start as we talked about it and she said she'd like to see me wear it but I really wasn't comfortable with it and was always taking it off. Haven't seen it in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

When I was engaged (it didn't work out) I found it very hard to get used to wearing the ring. I'd put it on last thing before leaving the house and take it off as soon as I got in the door. It wasn't that it was uncomfortable, I'd just never worn rings, so I couldn't get used to it.

If I were to go again, I doubt I'd bother with either an engagement ring or a wedding ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Is op male or female. I don't know any married women who don't wear their rings. I do know some men who dont though.
    Poll is non representative of this.

That's a good point, and I'm male by the way. I would hazard a guess that all those voting no are most likely also male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

No
    I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't wear their wedding rings or only wear them out in public!

I think the only times I have taken off my wedding ring is when we go to the bog and when we were doing up the house last year. And also when I am putting on fake tan! And when I send it to the jewellers to be cleaned. That's it I think. My engagement ring is a little bit looser than my wedding ring. I take off when having a shower, when at the pool and for the reasons above re my wedding ring. I wouldn't really be a "ring" person, I have very small fingers (size H/I) so the only rings I can buy off the shelf to wear are from the kids section in claires accessories! I wear a claddagh ring on my other hand and that's it.

My husband always wears his wedding ring, it only comes off when going to the bog, in hospital, and I think that's it. He was looking forward to getting his wedding ring and wearing it but he doesn't own or wear any other jewellery bar a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I am really surprised at the number of folks in here who don't wear theirs rings. I always took it as a given that once, you were married the rings stay on practically full time, with the exception of the engagement ring coming off for cleaning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

No
    My husband wears his wedding ring and a similar ring on his right hand all the time, including when working on his motorbikes and doing things around the farm so they usually end up quite dirty so anytime we visit his friend who made our rings he gets her to clean them up.
    Our rings mean an awful lot to my husband, they mean a lot to me also obviously but they are very very important and very symbolic to him and I know he would be really upset if either of us lost our rings or they were stolen. We have them insured but our rings were custom made for us.

I wear my rings anytime I leave the house, as soon as I get home I put them in a special jewellery box where I keep all my fancy jewellery. We have 4 dogs and live on a farm so there's always some bit of cleaning to do or cooking so I got into the habit of taking them off rather than getting half way through a job and then taking them off with dirty hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

No
    I am really surprised at the number of folks in here who don't wear theirs rings. I always took it as a given that once, you were married the rings stay on practically full time, with the exception of the engagement ring coming off for cleaning etc.

I think it depends on your job as well. When I worked in a lab we were strongly discouraged from wearing any jewellery at all and in some lab/pharma environments it's outright banned. Then anyone who's a plumber/mechanic etc., it's safer not to wear them. And if you don't wear them all day you probably won't bother putting them on when you come home.

I love wearing mine but I wouldn't be upset if my wife didn't wear hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm female by the way and never wear a wedding ring. I never thought of it as unusual either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Vojera wrote: »
    I think it depends on your job as well. When I worked in a lab we were strongly discouraged from wearing any jewellery at all and in some lab/pharma environments it's outright banned. Then anyone who's a plumber/mechanic etc., it's safer not to wear them. And if you don't wear them all day you probably won't bother putting them on when you come home.

I love wearing mine but I wouldn't be upset if my wife didn't wear hers.

I can understand not wearing them in certain circumstances such as those you have outlined. Work in a restaurant years ago, where rings was banned if you were handling food. Bizarrely they excluded wedding bands from this. I think they were totally paranoid of offending people, and were likely in breach of food hygiene rules allowing exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Novella wrote: »
    I'm female by the way and never wear a wedding ring. I never thought of it as unusual either!

Same here. I just never saw the point of them. Its a nice thing if your into that but to me it was always more about letting other people know your marital status than anything personal between the two of us. Its not like I need the ring to remind me that I'm married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Been married almost 3 years now and I rarely wear my ring. I found it hard to get used to and kept fidgeting with it. I would wear it if we were going out but never wear it during the day or at work.
    My mind was made up though when I lost the ring on our honeymoon. I completely forgot about it. I replaced it afterwards and now keep it safely locked up.
    Having said that, my wife wears her engagement and wedding ring all the time. I guess it's different for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No
    I find wearing the wedding ring makes it easier to pick up women.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No
    UCDVet wrote: »
    I find wearing the wedding ring makes it easier to pick up women.

LOL! Reminds me of that episode of Scrubs where women become invisible to JD while they're wearing their wedding rings.

Advertisement