Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Humanist celebrant

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ours stayed for a drink afterwards but didn't want to stay for dinner. I know someone else who had the same celebrant and didn't ask him to dinner at all. Its one of those up to yourself things but I don't think most would want or expect to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

lazygal wrote: »
    Ours stayed for a drink afterwards but didn't want to stay for dinner. I know someone else who had the same celebrant and didn't ask him to dinner at all. Its one of those up to yourself things but I don't think most would want or expect to be asked.

There usually gone by that time so I cant really see the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dovies wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but didnt want a new thread. Does the Humanist/Celebrant get invited to the dinner? Or is that another 'if you want to' thing?

Good question actually and i never thought about it.

I think its a lot of hanging around for them especially when they know no one at all. They might have a cuppa and the pre-reception food after the ceremony.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dovies wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but didnt want a new thread. Does the Humanist/Celebrant get invited to the dinner? Or is that another 'if you want to' thing?

We asked ours and she said that she would prefer to just leave after the ceremony. She lives close to our venue anyway so it then becomes an incredibly easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I will ask her and see! Lots of little stuff to think about never mind the bigger things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not a fear we are asking our celebrant to the meal. Our seats are scarce enough already! Tbh its not like she's doing us a favour, we are paying her to do the job. She'd be welcome to a drink and refreshments of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I asked ours and he said he never attends the meal but did stay for the drinks reception and was chatting away to everyone - it wasn't like he ran out the door as soon as we were married! I imagine they're all so busy these days that they don't want to be spending extra time at these events anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lizzie71

Can anyone recommend a name of a humanist that they have seen in action?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

We were married by Billy Hutchinson in September 2013 - he did a great job, we were very happy with everything. Gonna see him in a few weekends marrying one of my colleagues!

Thanks so much Paul for the reply, can you tell me is there a way one can see them in action as I have heard some say the personality is just not there with some celebrants?

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    We were married by Billy Hutchinson in September 2013 - he did a great job, we were very happy with everything. Gonna see him in a few weekends marrying one of my colleagues!

Great to know as we have Billy booked for ours. We are meeting him for the first time in 2 weeks :)

Lizzie71 wrote: »
    Thanks so much Paul for the reply, can you tell me is there a way one can see them in action as I have heard some say the personality is just not there with some celebrants?

Could you not organise a meeting with them yourself and see how you get on?

You dont have to confirm with them there and then im sure.

But i would suggest to start contacting them asap as i contacted 7/8 celebrants back in March for August next year and Billy was the only one free for our date (a Friday), so they are very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hmm, we didn't video our ceremony (lots of pictures though!) but I can say that Billy had the perfect personality for our tastes; he was sincere, engaged, defo didn't push any agenda (though we did join the Humanist Association of Ireland beforehand, which I had no problem with) and handled a nephew falling off his chair, onto the ground and crying loudly with ease and humour. I do think that being sincere is probably the most important thing people should look for here, hate being at weddings where you can tell the celebrant doesn't particularly care; this is admittedly very rare though.

We are not marrying til 2017 but want to be prepared 😉 I think we are also looking for someone who will make ceremony personal and fun

Well we met our celebrant last night for the first time, Billy Hutchinson and all i can say is that im so glad he was free for our date as he is such a lovely man. We were with him for over an hour and he was explaining everything and having a great chat, so we both really felt at ease and comfortable with him.

I would highly recommend him if people haven't already contacted him.

You just made my day we have our appointment with him later this month so best bring my cheque book 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

anyone use bridgit carlin? we have her booked but if anyone had feedback on how the actual ceremony went?......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Any more recommendations guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

Not sure if there is a more recent forum on this...

Looking for recent recommendations on Humanist Celebrants close / near to Dublin

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

salad_man wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a more recent forum on this...

Looking for recent recommendations on Humanist Celebrants close / near to Dublin

thanks

Can highly recommend our celebrant Emma Sides. She’s based in Dublin but does travel. We were also at a friend’s wedding last year and she was the celebrant there too. She’s so lovely and really works with you to make sure you get the ceremony you both want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Can highly recommend our celebrant Emma Sides. She’s based in Dublin but does travel. We were also at a friend’s wedding last year and she was the celebrant there too. She’s so lovely and really works with you to make sure you get the ceremony you both want.

Emma was our celebrant 6 years ago and she was amazing! She really listens to you and delivers such a beautiful ceremony!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

We got married last year, and Joe Armstrong was our celebrant. He's from Meath, but will travel. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

https://www.humanism.ie/2018/05/keane-harley-dublin/

Married us in October, an absolute gent and guests loved him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We've chosen Siobhan Walls:
    https://www.humanism.ie/2014/11/siobhan-walls-dublin/

We haven't met her in person yet, but she was lovely over the phone and very helpful with all of our questions (of which there were many!). She talked us through some of the rituals etc, so we have a lot to think about before meeting her to pin down the details. She has her own website too with a video of a wedding she has done, so we got a good feel of her style from that. We also found a lot of positive reviews about her from other couples online, including the HIGM facebook page.

She was also extremely punctual - we arranged a phone call for 8pm one night and she rang on the dot. This was very important to us as there was another celebrant we were planning to use and she arranged to meet us in person for a chat, but she stood us up (she was profusely apologetic afterwards, but still).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

She was booked for our date, but we have heard great things about her too. One of my friends is using her for her wedding in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Can highly recommend Philip Byers. He did our ceremony and was an absolute gent. Guests loved him too. He performed a lovely, personal ceremony for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

Anyone able to reccomend a humanist for a Donegal wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

+1 for Philip Byers from me. He managed my father's funeral in 2017 and I was at a wedding last week at which he officiated. He handled both events with grace and panache and is absolutely charming, intelligent and witty (in a nice way).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We had Emer Dillion do our wedding two weeks ago and she was absolutely brilliant

A dream to work with from start to finish and just so helpful ,

She made it very personal but also has a great wit to her , I couldn't recommend her enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement