Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting guest specific gift.

Options
  • 06-01-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how common it was to request a specific gift from a specific person.

I recieved a save the date which also informed me what gift they would like to recieve from me. Is that the norm now or is registry/gift still usual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I was wondering how common it was to request a specific gift from a specific person.

I recieved a save the date which also informed me what gift they would like to recieve from me. Is that the norm now or is registry/gift still usual?

Sounds pretty unusual to me. I've been to a lot of weddings, been invited to a lot more, and never come across that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ah jaysus, some people really are unbelievable. That's so rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Vulgar tacky crass bad mannered. Don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Different strokes for different folks here. I personally am way happier when I get an invite with a "we'd prefer gifts of x" with an invite. People know you're going to give a gift of some sort. It's just perfect logic to me to make sure the gift is something you actually need.
    Head over to adverts under the wedding section for pages and pages of presents for sale that aren't needed.
    Instead of it being crass on the invite Id see it as saving people money getting the wrong thing. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'd say its pretty unusual. Not something I've heard of before

Is it something that only you could get for them- like something you're known for making or can get easily through business contacts?

Or is it something generic/random?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Is it a reasonable price, or more than you were thinking of paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Out of interest how was it worded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Did it actually say "we would like you to buy us a Kenwood chef mixer and a Samsonite suitcase" or "please give cash"? Because although the latter is possibly common enough (though rude), the former is unheard of and wouldn't even warrant a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This really depends on the specifics.

I know an artist who has occasionally had it suggested that her own prints would be appreciated as wedding gifts. Same for a quilter, and a photographer. Is it something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you had a particular talent, hobby or craft it would be understandable, eg woodcraft, painter, photography etc.

If not, then that's terrible IMO. You don't know people's circumstances, they might not be able to afford what it is, assuming it is something expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its rude and ignorant to expect a gift not to mind specify one.

Id be sending back the RSVP as no im not going to attend. Cant believe the ignorance of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

It's a stand mixer. I barely even know what that is let alone what type to buy :O

I'm an artist and have arranged to do a portrait for them for their wedding already so I pretty much can't afford to attend now since, the prices that I've seen, il be spending €500 on a mixer if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's really bad form IMO. I wouldn't spend that on a mixer for myself, never mind asking someone else to spend that kind of money on one for me!! Do they know that you are going to do a portrait for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

That's insane not to mention rude.... are you close to these people? if you still want to go to the wedding tell them you have already arranged and paid for a gift. Otherwise tell them you can't afford the gift and won't be attending....
    I'm completely gobsmacked that any sane person thinks this is an ok thing to do?! 500e who can afford that?!! PS I think the portrait idea is lovely, not that these guys deserve it after than stunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

wuffly wrote: »
    if you still want to go to the wedding tell them you have already arranged and paid for a gift.!

I think this is a really good solution.

Also, asking for a €500 gift is feckin ridiculous. Be strong and follow the advice given by wuffy. The couple doesn't deserve anything from you. They're lucky to get the portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

That's outrageously rude and something I've never heard of before. Even worse is the fact that you're already doing a portrait of the couple for their wedding. Any sane person would consider that to be your gift to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

That is incredibly rude of them and the fact that they put in their request with the save the date card seems unbelievable.

It's a stand mixer. I barely even know what that is let alone what type to buy :O

I'm an artist and have arranged to do a portrait for them for their wedding already so I pretty much can't afford to attend now since, the prices that I've seen, il be spending €500 on a mixer if I do.

Ok, yeah, that's very rude. Stand mixers are incredibly expensive. How was this worded? I'm desperately clinging to hope that this was a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

pwurple wrote: »
    Ok, yeah, that's very rude. Stand mixers are incredibly expensive. How was this worded? I'm desperately clinging to hope that this was a misunderstanding.

argos or arnotts 100 quid.

I'll add to my earlier comments, being asked to give cash as a preference or being asked to select from a given wedding list where there should be something for every budget is perfectly ok in my book. Being asked for a very specific gift is not. Now that is rude to me.

if youre doing a portrait anyway, doubly so. ask if they want the gift instead of the portrait. If they thought they were getting both then Id say well I cant afford to go if you want both, and if Im not going then I dont see the point in spending so much on a gift anyway so send them a nice card congratulating them on the miserly path theyve started out on in life, their wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

OK, I asked my mam for a Kenwood chef as our wedding gift but she is my mam and wanted to get us something we really wanted, it was about €200.

That is bloody rude though, however, aldi and lidl have crappy ones during the year for €30 or so ;)

• Advertisement

if youre doing a portrait anyway, doubly so. ask if they want the gift instead of the portrait. If they thought they were getting both then Id say well I cant afford to go if you want both, and if Im not going then I dont see the point in spending so much on a gift anyway so send them a nice card congratulating them on the miserly path theyve started out on in life, their wedding.

Some people place very little value in other people's time or effort. I know it can cost over 100 euro in materials for quilts or framed paintings for example, plus hours of time.. but people still think, hey, they made it themselves, it cost them nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

pwurple wrote: »

Wording? Should read:
    If you don't buy us a Kenwood Chef then we won't let you Come and worship us on our wedding day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

sorted, here ye are...

Stand Mixer

might be a bit hard to wrap but no more than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm while tis good to say stuff if you need a specific thing I think asking for something like that is a bit much..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If they can be that rude, I would have no problem sending back your rsvp saying you cant attend, and saying it is because you cannot afford to buy the requested gift.

And they would be waiting a loooong time for that portrait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just a thing.

Boards is open to the whole www and Google. Anyone requesting specific gifts and getting their portrait painted could quite easily join the dots.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Just a thing.

Boards is open to the whole www and Google. Anyone requesting specific gifts and getting their portrait painted could quite easily join the dots.:eek:

Frankly anybody being so rude as to request a specific present deserves to see how poorly their requests are being received. Selfish prats.

I would personally love a hand made portrait from a wedding guest, something that specific to the couple should be treasured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is there any chance they just really don't want a painted portrait of themselves and are trying to (very clumsily) head you off at the pass? It's something I'd, personally, not like to receive & wouldn't hang in my home and I'm not sure how I'd tell an artist that without hurting their feelings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

xalot wrote: »
    Frankly anybody being so rude as to request a specific present deserves to see how poorly their requests are being received. Selfish prats.

I would personally love a hand made portrait from a wedding guest, something that specific to the couple should be treasured.

That's OK then.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh wow, I thought I'd heard it all when it came to unreasonable gift requests, but this takes the cake (pun intended). Sending out the present list with the save the dates is unbelievable! I'd say they're talking about one of those Kitchen Aid machines like what they had on the Great British Bake Off.
    They're fantastic but they cost about €500!! I often wonder at the mentality of people who put stuff like this on their invitations. Do they actually think it through beforehand and think it's a great idea?! Do they wonder if they'll piss off a huge chunk of their guests? Do you know anyone else going to the wedding so that you can see what they've been asked for ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement