Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL moves extra point to 15 yrd line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

See how it goes.

It will cause issues I think when there's a penalty on the play and the ball is then moved another 10 yards back. Probably will be more attempts for the 2 point conversion.

Tebow time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I don't like the proposal that passed, but something needed to be done. It was a useless, boring play as it was.
    A game that features a missed PAT should see a lot of 2 point conversion attempts to try and make up for it, so maybe it will be a good change. I don't think anyone can say for sure until we see how it affects game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

DecStone wrote: »
    See how it goes.

It will cause issues I think when there's a penalty on the play and the ball is then moved another 10 yards back. Probably will be more attempts for the 2 point conversion.

Tebow time.

Only thing is allowing the d to return the play might see teams take the safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I genuinely think it wont make teams go for the 2 point anymore than they already do - it will just bring down the percentage of bonus points down from like 99.7% to about 93% - if they brought it to the 1 yard line you would see more teams go for 2 but i still cant see this making that much of a difference tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The only impact will be if there's a penalty on the play by the kicking team. Then moving it back will make it slightly (but only slightly) more challenging but I'd still expect most PATs to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Its going to make the end of tight games more exciting. If its 21-20 after a ''tying'' TD in the last second, that 15yard PAT will seem far more difficult. Imagine playoff time in the snow etc???

Its a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

20 yd line would have been spot on.

Or 1yd line for the 2pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Surprised the teams voted for this tbh. Running back failed attempts at conversions will lead to a small increase in injuries, you'd have to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I really like that they've decided to change it.
    The Point After was a total waste of time in my opinion.

Although i think that the change doesn't go far enough.
    Teams will likely just continue kicking per usual.
    Sure there might be a few more misses or blocked attempts, that is all.
    Kickers will improve their timing and accuracy at the new range and in a year no one will notice the difference.

I suppose we might see some teams just going for 2 everytime.
    Perhaps if your Offensive is running over the D then why not?
    But then again it's good to let your kicking unit get some game time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Could lead to an interesting scenario. Team A is losing 20-16 and scores a TD with 2 seconds left. Do they kick the PAT and risk a block and run back that would tie the game, or take a knee!!

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    Could lead to an interesting scenario. Team A is losing 20-16 and scores a TD with 2 seconds left. Do they kick the PAT and risk a block and run back that would tie the game, or take a knee!!

Also they'll now have to take pat's at the end of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

I don't think it will make much difference to be honest. Kickers and teams will just get used to slotting over the 20 yard kicks.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Also they'll now have to take pat's at the end of the games.

Don't they do that anyway? Remember the Seattle GB game a season or 2 ago with the dodgy TD at the end. GB walked off the pitch but they were made come back out for the pat even though it meant nothing.

Don't they do that anyway? Remember the Seattle GB game a season or 2 ago with the dodgy TD at the end. GB walked off the pitch but they were made come back out for the pat even though it meant nothing.

That's cause there was time left on the clock. They don't if the clock runs out or if its ot. But thinking about it, it wouldn't matter if it happened in OT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

That's cause there was time left on the clock. They don't if the clock runs out or if its ot. But thinking about it, it wouldn't matter if it happened in OT

No, the PAT has to be kicked. Even though it probably would never end up being used, points difference is a tie breaker.

I can remember Buffalo kicking one in Miami in the 90s when every Dolphin was in the locker room.

Benimar wrote: »
    No, the PAT has to be kicked. Even though it probably would never end up being used, points difference is a tie breaker.

That's my understanding too.

Just checked on the video and there was definitely no time on the clock.

. Many a bet/accume I've lost because the team hasn't bothered with the PAT. Now i can't remember is it just in OT though but teams def skip the extra point. In fact i have to factor it into the spread picks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In OT the game ends when a TD is scored. in regulation they have to take the PAT regardless. This is my understanding of it.

Advertisement