Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Here's a genuine picture of his hand uncovered this week.

hand18s-4-web.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

hand18s-4-web.jpg

It look's pretty bad, and that's not taking into account how much mobility (is that the right word - probably not) he has in his remaining fingers.

What I don't understand though, is a lot of people in the media saying it's career ending. I definitely remember more than one defensive ends/linebackers playing with a cast or bandage completely covering their hands like a club and starting - why can't that be the case here? Even if he doesn't get back to his previous level of play he could have a career in the league.

Hope he gets another shot somewhere and can make a go of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Looking at that photo there, the picture posted earlier must be of someone else's hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

glued wrote: »
    Just got news I'm going to a cooperate event in Dallas in March and Tom Brady and Emmit Smith are guest speakers. Apparently it's costing $120k for both of them to speak.

Jesus. You'd think celebrates of their stature wouldn't need to pay to be allowed speak at an event.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Finally someone found a worthwhile use for the Power Rankings:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2015/9/17/9348381/wcg-watchability-index-2015-week-2-chicago-bears-cardinals-cowboys-seahawks-packers-game-time

Basically by collating the respective power rankings of the teams playing all the games, you can map them onto an xy grid and make scientifically utterly accurate decisions* about which games you should watch.

*decisions will not be scientifically utterly accurate

EDIT: Some of the game previews are pretty funny. On Baltimore @ Oakland: Watch Marc Trestman's offense average 3 yards per pass attempt versus a team that is pretty confident they'll be able to show up to the stadium on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kaiser Sosay

Augme wrote: »
    Jesus. You'd think celebrates of their stature wouldn't need to pay to be allowed speak at an event.

There's nothing at all unusual about that. Actors, actresses and stars from across the sporting spectrum are all very well paid for their time. Especially when they go out of their way or are specifically invited to attend/ or speak at an event. The higher the profile of the guest speaker, the more companies & organisations will pay for their valuable time.

There's nothing at all unusual about that. Actors, actresses and stars from across the sporting spectrum are all very well paid for their time. Especially when they go out of their way or are specifically invited to attend/ or speak at an event. The higher the profile of the guest speaker, the more companies & organisations will pay for their valuable time.

I think the poster was joking because from reading the op it skinned like the two lads were paying money for the privilege of giving a talk.

Looking at that photo there, the picture posted earlier must be of someone else's hand.

Or an octopus after a knife fight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus Christ, the line official from the Ravens/Bronco game who was reported as having a broken collarbone?

Well apparently he also has 9 broken ribs and a collapsed lung :eek:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/14/official-in-ravens-broncos-game-still-hospitalized-after-taking-hit/

makes you seriously wonder about the effects on the body that the NFL has. Yes, these guys are essentially super human when it comes to physicality, but if what would be considered a mild hit in a game does that to a regular human being, its no wonder the likes of Borland are backing away from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

In honour of Bears-Cardinals tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the line official from the Ravens/Bronco game who was reported as having a broken collarbone?

Well apparently he also has 9 broken ribs and a collapsed lung :eek:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/14/official-in-ravens-broncos-game-still-hospitalized-after-taking-hit/

makes you seriously wonder about the effects on the body that the NFL has. Yes, these guys are essentially super human when it comes to physicality, but if what would be considered a mild hit in a game does that to a regular human being, its no wonder the likes of Borland are backing away from the game.

Being blindsided only compounded the injuries he suffered. But that's some amount of damage that was done to the poor official. I only got a very quick glimpse of the collision and I think the player was even trying to slow down but couldn't. But it's an interesting insight into the forces at work on a Football field when two players hit each other like battering rams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Since 1990, only 12% of teams who start 0-2 make the playoffs. That's quite a significant statistic. The following are 0-2:

Baltimore Ravens
    Seattle Seahawks
    New York Giants
    Houston Texans
    New Orleans Saints
    Detriot Lions
    Chicago Bears
    Philadelphia Eagles

The Colts are the only other team that can start 0-2, but they're a 7 point favourite at home tonight so it seems unlikely.

I know it's only 2 games but as a Ravens fan I'm extremely worried. They've only ever started 0-2 three times in franchise history and never finished with a winning record when that has happened. There's enough trends there to make it very concerning.

How many of the above do you think will be playoff teams? It's likely only one will be.

If Giants beat the Redskins thursday night, they could well be, now with Romo and Dez out for a large chunk, and the Eagles looking horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think that the Seahawks can rebound.

They've had 2 tough games so far, and with the 49ers looking shaky I think they can still take their division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Paully D wrote: »
    Since 1990, only 12% of teams who start 0-2 make the playoffs. That's quite a significant statistic. The following are 0-2:

Baltimore Ravens
    Seattle Seahawks
    New York Giants
    Houston Texans
    New Orleans Saints
    Detriot Lions
    Chicago Bears
    Philadelphia Eagles

The Colts are the only other team that can start 0-2, but they're a 7 point favourite at home tonight so it seems unlikely.

I know it's only 2 games but as a Ravens fan I'm extremely worried. They've only ever started 0-2 three times in franchise history and never finished with a winning record when that has happened. There's enough trends there to make it very concerning.

How many of the above do you think will be playoff teams? It's likely only one will be.

Well, 12% means one of the above teams will make the playoffs, statisically. NFC East and AFC East teams always have a shot, they're always beating each other. Seahawks have a lot to do in a tough division....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

See Aaron Rodgers had a dig Wilson after the game...
    I think God was a Packers fan tonight

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13708448/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-takes-apparent-shot-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

So it looks like Jimmy Graham is like a windmill- tall, oddly white, and needs a Brees to work optimally.

Stolen from Reddit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Rams DT Aaron Donald is playing at J.J. Watt's level right now

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/21/aaron-donald-is-on-pace-to-post-highest-season-grade-ever/

Last season was the first season that our DT rankings were topped by a rookie, and Donald looks to have kicked on to another level heading into his sophomore season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Wow if this turns out to be true, rumours that drew brees has a torn rotator cuff and may be out for the season. I believe this was the injury he suffered in his last year in san Diego that caused miami to pass on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

poldebruin wrote: »
    Wow if this turns out to be true, rumours that drew brees has a torn rotator cuff and may be out for the season. I believe this was the injury he suffered in his last year in san Diego that caused miami to pass on him.

It is indeed, nearly ended his career. Hopefully not but if true and if it's bad, this could be the end of him at the highest level (though he has been gradually slipping for a while now anyway).

• Advertisement

poldebruin wrote: »

Seems to be bruised with his reaction to treatment to determine when he returns, per Twitter. The torn rumour came from a fake Ian Rapoport account I think, but the real Rapoport was saying he could miss several games with the bruise.

Colts, Seahawks, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Lions, Saints, Texans: 0-2

Browns, Bucs, Jags, Titans, Raiders, Redskins: 1-1

Jets: 2-0

Its gonna be a fun year!

Cooper is a funny enough fella, it seems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Knex. wrote: »
    Colts, Seahawks, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Lions, Saints, Texans: 0-2

Browns, Bucs, Jags, Titans, Raiders, Redskins: 1-1

Jets: 2-0

Its gonna be a fun year!

yep very exciting, titans go into the Colts game next week with a good chance to put them 0-3 and take the lead in the division :eek:

Also Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Geno all injured in one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

yep very exciting, titans go into the Colts game next week with a good chance to put them 0-3 and take the lead in the division :eek:

Also Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Geno all injured in one way or another

and Brees...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cheers, was wondering who i forgot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

rJobN6q.png
    6GB1oAL.png
    MEIwzZr.png
    6sjHJrp.png
    I7GOhcy.png
    RnDhM31.png
    :D
    credit reddit /u/BisonST

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Minnesota Vikings have refused to cave into the salary demands of their mascot.

The Vikings announced on Monday that they have not been able to reach a new contract agreement with Joe Juranitch, the man who played Ragnar for the last 21 years and was looking for quite a raise to pillage the team’s home games and strike fear into the hearts of their opponents while growling at them atop his purple motorcycle.

Ragnar was asking for $20,000 per game over the next 10 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/21/minnesota-lose-mascot-as-ragnar-the-viking-demands-20000-per-nfl-game

ragnar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

D9Male wrote: »

The Vikings announced on Monday that they have not been able to reach a new contract agreement with Joe Juranitch, the man who played Ragnar for the last 21 years and was looking for quite a raise to pillage the team’s home games and strike fear into the hearts of their opponents while growling at them atop his purple motorcycle.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/21/minnesota-lose-mascot-as-ragnar-the-viking-demands-20000-per-nfl-game

ragnar.jpg

Lost the run of himself there surely, any eejit with a beard that can ride a motorbike can do that job for a quarter of the price!

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »

ragnar.jpg

Yeah there's a real shortage of guys that look like that in Minnesota.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jesus $160k a year for 8 days work! I'd do it for half that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jesus $160k a year for 8 days work! I'd do it for half that!

Don't forget the 2 pre-season games! Brings it up to $200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
    Matt Cassel has been traded to the #Cowboys, source said

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »

A very good article and fair play to Rodgers with his - "God was a Packers fan tonight." jibe. I never knew he made that comment after the game :D. Brings me back to Wilson's nonsense after losing the Superbowl, when he claimed months later he knew it was God's plan at the time.....
    “The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps,” Wilson said. “And on the third step God says to me, ‘I’m using you. . . . I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/06/russell-wilson-says-god-spoke-to-him-right-after-super-bowl-interception/

I've seen people medicated for less delusion than that. But really Russell, God spoke to you after the play? Strange then how you can be seeing walking to the sideline looking pretty clueless & stunned and then you can be clearly seen asking Pete Carroll - "What just happened?". We need more players to come out and make similar mocking digs like the one Rodgers made. Maybe then we'll get less hypocritical & vomit inducing God talk from players like Wilson.

• Advertisement

A very good article and fair play to Rodgers with his - "God was a Packers fan tonight." jibe. I never knew he made that comment after the game :D. Brings me back to Wilson's nonsense after losing the Superbowl, when he claimed months later he knew it was God's plan at the time.....

I've seen people medicated for less delusion than that. But really Russell, God spoke to you after the play? Strange then how you can be seeing walking to the sideline looking pretty clueless & stunned and then you can be clearly seen asking Pete Carroll - "What just happened?". We need more players to come out and make similar mocking digs like the one Rodgers made. Maybe then we'll get less hypocritical & vomit inducing God talk from players like Wilson.
    Nah I doubt it, people like that don't have a stfu mode. But, speaking as a bears fan, Rodgers remains my favourite complete pain in the ass and went up in my estimation after that response.

Nah I doubt it, people like that don't have a stfu mode. But, speaking as a bears fan, Rodgers remains my favourite complete pain in the ass and went up in my estimation after that response.

Ya it's only wishful thinking on my part. Unfortunately there's too many evangelical Christian nut jobs in America, to hope for their spewing to ever end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Come on now... he isn't being literal. He's ascribing reason (barmy reason to most of us) to something that happened.

I think a lot of the religious stuff is not even believed by the players, they are just trying to create a brand and that stuff plays well with a large part of the football watching audience over there.

We find it vomit inducing but completely different culture here when it comes to religion I think.

It's only guys like Aaron Rodgers and Arian Foster who can get away with the things they have come out with because of their stature in the game.
    Rodgers while religious still has the sense to see that there is no God up there rooting for one team over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I loved that comment from Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson is a slimy prick.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Come on now... he isn't being literal. He's ascribing reason (barmy reason to most of us) to something that happened.

Afaic, there's no other way to interpret what he said, but that he literally believes he was talking to God. And anything I've read about him speaking on the matter since, has done nothing to suggest otherwise to me.

He isn't being literal. He is saying that what happened was God saying to him that He wants to see how he responds.

There's more than enough to abuse him about in that.

Another Classic from Wilson. A sports drink (he is an investor in) can cure concussions
    I banged my head during the Packers game in the playoffs, and the next day I was fine,” says Wilson. “It was the water.”

[Agent Mark] Rodgers offers a hasty interjection. “Well, we're not saying we have real medical proof.”

But Wilson shakes his head, energized by the subject. He speaks with an evangelist's zeal.

“I know it works.” His eyes brighten. “Soon you're going to be able to order it straight from Amazon.”

The hit in question:
    https://vine.co/v/OjthvuhYgEW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Can we all just agree despite hisd best efforts to appear otherwise, he is scum.

He also said god told him not to have sex with ciara, god apparently didn't mind his divorce though

Beefy78 wrote: »
    He isn't being literal.

Read the quote again....
    on the third step God says to me, ‘I’m using you. . . . I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”

The key words in that quote is God says to me. The fact that he gave a very specific quote on what God said to him. Should make it obvious that Wilson was not speaking in a figurative or metaphorically context, therefore the reader has no choice but to interpret it literally.

I don't have to read it again, he isn't speaking literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I am not a believer in anything spiritual but why all the hate for Wilson. Calling him scum is mad and the hatred is mad. If he believes God speaks to him so be it. Who are we to bash his beliefs. Same with Tebow as annoying as it was and I know I ribbed on Tebow a bit in the day but as I get older I put it down to each their own really. Whatever gets him through his days really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

JCTO wrote: »
    I am not a believer in anything spiritual but why all the hate for Wilson. Calling him scum is mad and the hatred is mad. If he believes God speaks to him so be it. Who are we to bash his beliefs. Same with Tebow as annoying as it was and I know I ribbed on Tebow a bit in the day but as I get older I put it down to each their own really. Whatever gets him through his days really.

His hypocrisy for one

JCTO wrote: »

Given where some of these NFL players have come from and the situations they have gotten themselves out of to become millionaires via football, I'm not surprised so many of them think it was due to some sort of higher being/influence.

Well when you are selling a sports drink and you are claiming it cured a concussion I think he needs to be called on it.

Same with saying God is intervening to help the Seahawks win or whatever, that stuff needs to be called out for the nonsense that it is.

Agree calling him scum is a bit much but that was one post not everyones opinion.

Also he always beats the 49ers, he should be more like Aaron Rodgers in that respect (and probably other ways too).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement