Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People don't get out of the way!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

chrysagon wrote: »
    is cycling on the footpath actually illegal?

my neighbour pulled out of his drive and a cyclist on the footpath hit the car... now a legal case is in process,!

Yes, cycling on the footpath is illegal. I remember being told this numerous times when I was in secondary school. Also that is extremely dangerous. I appreciate that the roads can be daunting for cyclists, but if they absolutely have to cycle on footpaths then they should do so very slowly and should have zero expectations that people will get out of their way. The cyclists should go around the pedestrians; not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

my neighbour pulled out from his drive, and the cyclist slammed into side of car, damage to wing of car, and cyclist injured.. now cyclist has taking legal action, so i take it the cyclist solicitor doesnt think its illegal..

but thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

I second ciaranlong watch out for pedestrians and the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

ciaranlong wrote: »
    Yes, cycling on the footpath is illegal. I remember being told this numerous times when I was in secondary school. Also that is extremely dangerous. I appreciate that the roads can be daunting for cyclists, but if they absolutely have to cycle on footpaths then they should do so very slowly and should have zero expectations that people will get out of their way. The cyclists should go around the pedestrians; not the other way around.

If they have to use the footpaths they should dismount and push the bike. When it is safe to do so they should rejoin the road or relevant cycle lane to use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

my neighbour pulled out from his drive, and the cyclist slammed into side of car, damage to wing of car, and cyclist injured.. now cyclist has taking legal action, so i take it the cyclist solicitor doesnt think its illegal..

but thanks for the info

The cyclist was in the wrong place, but the car in this instance must give way to *everything* when they are pulling out of their drive. Both vehicles were 'on the path' technically speaking, also.

• Advertisement

but thanks for the info

People take legal action for everything under the sun and solicitors are more than happy to take their money to do so.

Whether they have a leg to stand on is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ronoc wrote: »

Whether they have a leg to stand on is another question.

I suppose they could always sue for the loss of a leg to stand on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

Saw a Garda cycling on the footpath in Donnybrook on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Yeah sure you own the footpath, the cycle lane, and the road.

Everyone should clear out of your way. If not shout abuse and create threads online. You should probably consider getting a go pro cam and cycle around getting yourself in tricky situations on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Saw a Garda cycling on the footpath in Donnybrook on Wednesday.

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

endacl wrote: »
    Get a unicycle, OP

Appropriate, seeing as OP is a bleedin' clown

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Walked out of a shop on westmorland street today only for a cyclist to crash straight into me, luckily i saw him at the very last second and dropped my left shoulder enabling him to take the brunt of the crash and end up in a heap on the pavement.

He got up and started to berate me for not watching where i was going and tried to tell me that he had the right of way and asked me for my details as he wanted to report me to the guards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Walked out of a shop on westmorland street today only for a cyclist to crash straight into me, luckily i saw him at the very last second and dropped my left shoulder enabling him to take the brunt of the crash and end up in a heap on the pavement.

He got up and started to berate me for not watching where i was going and tried to tell me that he had the right of way and asked me for my details as he wanted to report me to the guards :D

As he fell, did you shout Timberrrrrr?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would have given them and offered to come down the station with him.

thelad95 wrote: »
    As he fell, did you shout Timberrrrrr?

Nope i shouted GOBSH/TE!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Raam wrote: »
    Jesus, it's not a piss-take!
    I am still clinging to the hope that it is. I honestly cannot accept that anyone could post that and be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

and dropped my left shoulder enabling him to take the brunt of the crash and end up in a heap on the pavement :D

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭wotdef

I don't think the real issue here is whether cycling on the footpath is illegal or not;). The real issue is that someone deemed this person intelligent enough to be out on their own and attending a college as well.
    I once told a guard that he shouldn't be cycling in a park that I was working in as it was against the bye-laws. He didn't stop, strangely enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

wotdef wrote: »
    I don't think the real issue here is whether cycling on the footpath is illegal or not;). The real issue is that someone deemed this person intelligent enough to be out on their own and attending a college as well.
    I once told a guard that he shouldn't be cycling in a park that I was working in as it was against the bye-laws. He didn't stop, strangely enough.

There's no need for the personal insults.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Yup,I've experienced people practically driving me off the road,but it's all good,I would just give a salute when they get stuck at the lights haw haw haw!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭wotdef

There's no need for the personal insults.
    I really wouldn't have thought my post was a personal insult, rather, making an observation considering the tone of the initial post. How insulted would you think a pedestrian or a pedestrians family would feel if this person used this argument to justify any injury caused as a result of not getting out of his way while he was cycling on the footpath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Read the forum rules regards insults etc. If you have an issue with a mod point or decision please contact me via PM. Do not discuss in thread.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Can we sticky this thread - it's nearly as good as some of the best threads ever;
    Bag of cans man,
    Full face helmet man,
    And
    Vladamir Kurtains gets lost in a commuter race against an MTB.

This thread deserves to be up there with them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    Oscar's changed his name twice to try and detach himself from that race, and you've got to bring it back to everyone's attention:(

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I don't feel confident zig-zagging between cars like some people do hence I feel the need to divert onto footpaths at junction ....
    If you take up driving and lack confidence at junctions, what can we expect?
    ciaranlong wrote: »
    ...but if they absolutely have to cycle on footpaths then they should do so very slowly and should have zero expectations that people will get out of their way...
    :confused: Is that not a bit like saying "Drinking and driving is illegal but, if you absolutely have to drink and drive, do so very slowly etc......"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Bag of cans man,
    Full face helmet man,
    And

Links or gtfo! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

:confused: Is that not a bit like saying "Drinking and driving is illegal but, if you absolutely have to drink and drive, do so very slowly etc......"?

Yes it might be seen that way. But nobody is forcing you to drink. Nobody is pointing a gun at you and insisting you have a pint before you travel.

Most people on the other hand must travel from A to B to get to school, college, work the shops etc. They have no choice but to use a public road.

We have a situation where the state is turning a blind eye to behaviour by motorists that is threatening to people cycling on public roads.

In that situation, the state is effectively permitting certain people to to make others feel forced to cycle on footpaths - or tell their children to cycle on footpaths.

In that case there is an assumption that some people will be cycling on footpaths. It is reasonable to advise the people doing it on how to do so in an ethical manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Yes it might be seen that way. But nobody is forcing you to drink. Nobody is pointing a gun at you and insisting you have a pint before you travel.

Most people on the other hand must travel from A to B to get to school, college, work the shops etc. They have no choice but to use a public road.

We have a situation where the state is turning a blind eye to behaviour by motorists that is threatening to people cycling on public roads.

In that situation, the state is effectively permitting certain people to to make others feel forced to cycle on footpaths - or tell their children to cycle on footpaths.

In that case there is an assumption that some people will be cycling on footpaths. It is reasonable to advise the people doing it on how to do so in an ethical manner.

There is also the relevant issue of lane widths on roads. Historically the standard lane width on main roads was 3.65m, on some roads it could be wider up to 4.6m or 5m. At 3.65m there is enough room for a row of cars and still have space for cyclists to keep moving, to "maintain progress".

In 2002 the Irish state distributed new road design guidance - originating in the Dublin Transport Office.

In this guidance, the lane with to be used was reduced to 3.00m/ 3.25m. At these widths the gaps used by cyclists disappear. In effect the state told local authorities that they could rearrange the roads so as to remove road space from cyclists and use it to squeeze in more cars.

On roads arranged with these narrow lanes, cyclists can feel forced to use footpaths to maintain progress. In effect, although it is illegal to cycle on footpaths, Irish local authorities have been pushing cyclists onto footpaths by removing the road space we used to have to keep moving.

In that situation there is also an assumption that people will be cycling on footpaths and its reasonable to advise them on how to do so ethically.

There is also the relevant issue of lane widths on roads. Historically the standard lane width on main roads was 3.65m, on some roads it could be wider up to 4.6m or 5m. At 3.65m there is enough room for a row of cars and still have space for cyclists to keep moving, to "maintain progress".

In 2002 the Irish state distributed new road design guidance - originating in the Dublin Transport Office.

In this guidance, the lane with to be used was reduced to 3.00m/ 3.25m. At these widths the gaps used by cyclists disappear. In effect the state told local authorities that they could rearrange the roads so as to remove road space from cyclists and use it to squeeze in more cars.

On roads arranged with these narrow lanes, cyclists can feel forced to use footpaths to maintain progress. In effect, although it is illegal to cycle on footpaths, Irish local authorities have been pushing cyclists onto footpaths by removing the road space we used to have to keep moving.

In that situation there is also an assumption that people will be cycling on footpaths and its reasonable to advise them on how to do so ethically.

They are breaking the law and actions should be taken to stop them as they are a danger to pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I accept pedestrians have more of a 'right' to use footpaths but I still feel they should have the decency to move instead of something potentially dangerous happening.

In the unlikely event that you're not trolling, I might point out that footpaths are for pedestrians. The clue is in the name. Cyclepaths for cyclists, footpaths for foot traffic.

As for pedestrians wandering across cycle paths, yes, it can be a nuisance, but usually no more than that if you cycle at a sensible pace and courteously warn them by using your bell in a gentle, non-aggressive way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement