Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People don't get out of the way!

Options
  • 28-11-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've started cycling to college from my accommodation as the walk was taking too long. On my way to college, there are mostly cycle lanes but occasionally I have to cycle on a narrow footpath and this is where the problem is.

People simply don't move for you. This means I have to swerve around them dangerously sometimes nearly ending up back on the road. The worst is on cyclelanes on the footpath where pedestrians walk in the cycle lane and refuse to move. I think I may have to get a bell before this causes me an accident.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

thelad95 wrote: »
    occasionally I have to cycle on a narrow footpath
    No you don't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Never, ever cycle on the footpath. You get out of pedestrians way. Cycle on the road. No one has to get out of your way no matter where you are cycling. Adjust your attitude and you'll be much lese stressed on your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

You should be cycling on the road, you should never be cycling on the footpath unless it's a shared footpath/cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is this not a piss-take? I thought it was a piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Raam wrote: »

I did think that initially, thought I'd reply anyway. I hope it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

if is it not a piss-take, he does have a point about the footpath cycle path combo, (on Wickham way near dundrum for example) where some people cross into the cycle-lane with out looking. There should be a curb between the two lanes or something.

otherwise not a very good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raam wrote: »

It's Friday. YAY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I wouldn't move for you either. Pedestrians have more right to a footpath than you. Why do you think that they should move out of your way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

agree about the cycle- lane footpath combo issue, its a pain and a lot of the new cycle paths seem to be in this format,however you're not supposed to be on the path, so if you're going to cycle on it you have no right to complain, its a FOOTpath!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

People simply don't move for you. This means I have to swerve around them dangerously sometimes nearly ending up back on the road. The worst is on cyclelanes on the footpath where pedestrians walk in the cycle lane and refuse to move. I think I may have to get a bell before this causes me an accident. Does anyone else have this problem?

Get a Leap card for the Bus or start walking to college is the best thing you can do to resolve this "issue"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Get a bell, it's illegal not to have one (except when it's not).
    obriendj wrote: »
    There should be a curb between the two lanes or something.

There generally is if you use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'd like to emphasize a few things. I mostly have this issue on the footpath/cycling lane combos, that wasn't clear in the OP. This is my first time cycling in a busy town so I don't feel confident zig-zagging between cars like some people do hence I feel the need to divert onto footpaths at junction and use a pedestrian crossing instead.

I accept pedestrians have more of a 'right' to use footpaths but I still feel they should have the decency to move instead of something potentially dangerous happening.

I understand most cyclers posting here are very experienced but I think most of the attitudes on this thread towards a relative noob like myself have been appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Get a unicycle, OP. You won't fit into any clear category. Confuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

In the way that many cyclists think drivers should bend over and take a dry humping, it's only fair that cyclists should drop their drawers for pedestrians.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I accept pedestrians have more of a 'right' to use footpaths but I still feel they should have the decency to move instead of something potentially dangerous happening.
    You do realise it is illegal to cycle on a footpath don't you? The reaction of posters here is probably down to the fact that many of them may well be pretty incredulous that you started a thread admitting to doing this unless, as one poster suggested, you were taking the p!ss. If not taking the p!ss I would suggest you do the correct thing and dismount when needing to use a footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

You're getting a bad reaction because cycling on the footpath is illegal and gives cyclists a bad name. The fact that you expect pedestrians to get out of your way is ridiculous.

Cycle on the road. It's not too bad once you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Without being too harsh here you're completely wrong. Pedestrians have every right to use the footpath. You as a cyclist have none.

If you lack the confidence to cycle on the public road then the only options are either;
    (a) walk the sections where you have to use the path or
    (b) build up your confidence - it's not that difficult and you don't really need to "zigzag" through traffic.

There is nobody here with a negative attitude to you or any noob but cycling on the path is a serious no-no and probably more dangerous than cycling on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ok so I've started cycling to college from my accommodation as the walk was taking too long. On my way to college, there are mostly cycle lanes but occasionally I have to cycle on a narrow footpath and this is where the problem is.

People simply don't move for you. This means I have to swerve around them dangerously sometimes nearly ending up back on the road. The worst is on cyclelanes on the footpath where pedestrians walk in the cycle lane and refuse to move. I think I may have to get a bell before this causes me an accident.

Does anyone else have this problem?

No, because I don't go to college.

Just cycle on the road - it's not completely pedestrian free, but there are fewer of them.

Do you have a similar problem on the trip home, which would be much more serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I understand most cyclers posting here are very experienced but I think most of the attitudes on this thread towards a relative noob like myself have been appalling.

Being a "noob" is no excuse for breaking the law and blatant disregard for the safety of pedestrians. We were all new to cycling at some stage, but we all put on our big girl/boy pants and cycled on the road, were we're supposed to. I have been cycling for years and have never been in a situation where I "had" to weave in and out of traffic. I still don't feel comfortable doing it, so I don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Get off the bike and walk if you can't manage a particularly hairy section.

Never cycle on the path please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You do not have any right to cycle on the footpath, they have all the rights to walk there and not pay attention to you. End of story. Get off your bike and walk if you find yourself there, or cycle slowly without risking anyone.
    don't feel confident zig-zagging between cars like some people do

Then don't do it, wait with the cars like some other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I'd like to emphasize a few things. I mostly have this issue on the footpath/cycling lane combos, that wasn't clear in the OP. This is my first time cycling in a busy town so I don't feel confident zig-zagging between cars like some people do hence I feel the need to divert onto footpaths at junction and use a pedestrian crossing instead.

I think cycling on the footpath and expecting the pedestrians who are entitled to walk there to get out of your way so you can break the law is appalling. See, we're all entitled to our opinion, but no grown adult is entitled to cycle on the footpath.

If you need to navigate a junction that you are not confident enough to do on the road, then dismount and become a pedestrian - if you can't beat them, join them!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

"occasionally I have to cycle on a narrow footpath and this is where the problem is."

The clue is in the name "FOOTpath" or the American version: SideWALK.
    Get it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

You still don't get it. Pedestrians have THE right to use footpaths. Hint : it's in the word 'foot'. What you are doing is illegal. Can you image someone who complained that they drove a car down the runway in Dublin Airport and was stunned to find that the aircraft didn't swerve out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I suspect the authenticity of this thread but given it's Friday I'm happy to play along.....

Pedestrians don't have 'more' of a right - they have the right to use a footpath; a cyclist doesn't.

I accept that someone lacking in confidence or experience may decide to use a footpath for reasons of their own safety, but once you do that the onus is on you to do so safely, even if it means hopping off and walking on the busier sections.

You always have an alternative that peds don't and that's to use the roadway as the law of the land allows you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jesus, it's not a piss-take!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

buffalo wrote: »
    There generally is if you use the road.

If your read my post i was referring to the cycle lane - foot path combo.

Google Street view of mentioned example

There is no curb between the two so pedestrians and cyclists a like can cross over without noticing. They are not very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I bought a small bell recently, tends to move people faster instead of giving them a shout like I used to before. Most people seem to react very well to a bell. If you see them about to cross the cycle lane or on a shared lane, give it a ring and I guarantee you they will look up. It has saved me a few times. It's just a way of letting people know you are there. Bikes are pretty silent.

And yeah, if you can't cycle on the road walk on the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

t5pwr wrote: »
    I bought a small bell recently, tends to move people faster instead of giving them a shout like I used to before. Most people seem to react very well to a bell. If you see them about to cross the cycle lane or on a shared lane, give it a ring and I guarantee you they will look up. It has saved me a few times. It's just a way of letting people know you are there. Bikes are pretty silent.

And yeah, if you can't cycle on the road walk on the footpath

The canal towpaths in London can be quite crowded with cyclists, pedestrians, runners etc and they can be pretty marrow It's normal to give a tinkle of a bell to ask people to step out of your way and it's a generally acceptable etiquette. You do get the occasional aggressive 'get out of my way' ring but not much. So, judicious use of the old-fashioned bell should help on the combined paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

mrbike wrote: »
    You're getting a bad reaction because cycling on the footpath is illegal and gives cyclists a bad name. The fact that you expect pedestrians to get out of your way is ridiculous.

Cycle on the road. It's not too bad once you get used to it.

is cycling on the footpath actually illegal?

my neighbour pulled out of his drive and a cyclist on the footpath hit the car... now a legal case is in process,!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement