Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 2015 Range

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Did my first long spin on my new bike which has 5800-105 and the 11-32 cassette. Being in south Meath, it is mostly flat land, and hence end up sitting mostly across the middle of the cassette. I was noticing that the changes felt less than smooth. Looking at the layout:
    • 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
    • 11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32
    • 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25

I reckon it is the 14-16 jump that I am noticing.

Was wondering will I get used to it or should I change the cassette? I'm a beginner so don't have experience of hills, but am also an old timer and not so fit so knowing the 32 is there is reassuring, though i haven't been on it or the 28 yet. I guess I better find a couple of hills to try before deciding. Or do people keep multiple cassettes and change depending on route (I know racers probably do, but recreational cyclists)?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

rtmie wrote: »
    Did my first long spin on my new bike which has 5800-105 and the 11-32 cassette. Being in south Meath, it is mostly flat land, and hence end up sitting mostly across the middle of the cassette. I was noticing that the changes felt less than smooth. Looking at the layout:
    • 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
    • 11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32
    • 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25

I reckon it is the 14-16 jump that I am noticing.

Was wondering will I get used to it or should I change the cassette? I'm a beginner so don't have experience of hills, but am also an old timer and not so fit so knowing the 32 is there is reassuring, though i haven't been on it or the 28 yet. I guess I better find a couple of hills to try before deciding. Or do people keep multiple cassettes and change depending on route (I know racers probably do, but recreational cyclists)?

I'm a serious newbie (still haven't bought my bike) But I've been looking into this. A new cassette is around 35Euro on chain reaction so if it came to it it shouldn't set you back too much. I'm leaning towards the 11-28 but haven't totally ruled out the 12-25 either. Transition on the mid range would be seamless on the latter but I reckon I'd be taking a chance going with a 25 max tooth. Decisions decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are 2 rear dérailleurs in the 105 5800. One has a longer cage to accommodate the 32 sprocket so changing from a cassette with a 28 to one with a 32 may not be possible depending on which dérailleur is fitted to your bike.

EDIT: I should have also mentioned that if you have the long cage you can switch the 32 cassette for a 28 without a problem. So if you're unsure it might be better to get the 32 cassette and long cage dérailleur and change to the 28 later if you want.

crosstownk wrote: »
    There are 2 rear dérailleurs in the 105 5800. One has a longer cage to accommodate the 32 sprocket so changing from a cassette with a 28 to one with a 32 may not be possible depending on which dérailleur is fitted to your bike.

EDIT: I should have also mentioned that if you have the long cage you can switch the 32 cassette for a 28 without a problem. So if you're unsure it might be better to get the 32 cassette and long cage dérailleur and change to the 28 later if you want.

It comes as standard with the 32 so I'm assuming they can change to the 28 with minimum fuss. If I get the 25 they'll need to change the derailleur as well.

barrymac20 wrote: »
    It comes as standard with the 32 so I'm assuming they can change to the 28 with minimum fuss. If I get the 25 they'll need to change the derailleur as well.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but the long and short :pac: of is that the long cage will work with all cassettes but the short will only work with the 25T and 28T. At least that's my understanding.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but the long and short :pac: of is that the long cage will work with all cassettes but the short will only work with the 25T and 28T. At least that's my understanding.

Sorry I'm not great at explaining.
    the shimano 105 short derailleur can take a max 28-min 23 low sprocket, and the long derailleur can take a min 28-max 32 low sprocket, so it's not possible to get one that would cover all three cassette types.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/components/road/105_5800.html#

I'm thinking i won't need a 32 cog. So if I get the bike with the 11-28 cassette and short derailleur I'd be future proofed if I wanted to change to the 12-25 cassette.

The long cage should do all 3.

The long cage should do all 3.

maybe I'm practice it will but Not according to the shimano website.

Advertisement