Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Presumably he can unretire if someone offers him what he seems fair compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Looks like Justin Blackmon put the final nail in his NFL coffin. Dumb ass arrested for Mary Jane possession in Oklahoma. Any chance of getting that indefinite suspension removed will now most like be gone. Life time ban on the cards?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/7/24/5933203/justin-blackmon-arrested-marijuana-possession-jaguars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

And he's back to being a complete moron in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Being arrested with weed is just that an arrest.

If he got caught with weed in his system, then he could be banned for repeated violating the substance abuse policy.

But regardless, according the the Jaguars, he has gone completely MIA with nobody in the franchise in communication with him. Its looking like he is done in the NFL anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ray Rice is only getting a 2 game suspension for beating the sh1t out of his wife while Josh Gordon is facing a year long suspension for smoking weed...seems a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

NFL are a disgrace. Two games is a flucking joke. What a shambles that press conference was too, his wife apologising. Even the Ravens official twitter feed...how do these guys keep their jobs is beyond me.

NFL need to start coming down on illegal weapons (i will have to phrase that carefully as we all know the gun laws Stateside) /assaults/domestic violence like a ton of bricks. It truly is enough to turn people off the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I refused to believe that Rice had said "Sometimes in life you get knocked down..." or something to that effect, until I seen the video. Boggles the mind how he was let go out there without a carefully written, simple 4/5 sentence statement. And as Phoenix said above, the fact that they let his wife apologise in front of those cameras. Boggles the mind.

I refused to believe that Rice had said "Sometimes in life you get knocked down..." or something to that effect, until I seen the video. Boggles the mind how he was let go out there without a carefully written, simple 4/5 sentence statement. And as Phoenix said above, the fact that they let his wife apologise in front of those cameras. Boggles the mind.

What's more unbelievable is that the Ravens account tweeted it, and that his gf deeply regretted her role in the incident. Even some PR intern should know better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I don't have a problem with the 2-game suspension. To me, this is something for the courts to handle. The NFL isn't a court-of-law, to be going down the road of handing out suspensions relative to the extent of crimes would be a pretty dodgy road to go down. I think this is the appropriate action, you give the 'bringing the game into disrepute' suspension, and let the courts handle the severity of the crime.

Also he loses $500k salary, so if you think of it as a $500k fine, that's pretty hefty.

The marijuana suspension is obviously wrong and will be changed I think, but if you're dumb enough to test positive twice, I have less sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

padraig_f wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with the 2-game suspension. To me, this is something for the courts to handle. The NFL isn't a court-of-law, to be going down the road of handing out suspensions relative to the extent of crimes would be a pretty dodgy road to go down. I think this is the appropriate action, you give the 'bringing the game into disrepute' suspension, and let the courts handle the severity of the crime.

Also he loses $500k salary, so if you think of it as a $500k fine, that's pretty hefty.

The marijuana suspension is obviously wrong and will be changed I think, but if you're dumb enough to test positive twice, I have less sympathy.

Marijuana is a crime and the nfl isn't a court of law.....

• Advertisement

Marijuana is a crime and the nfl isn't a court of law.....

The suspension was for failing the NFL's drugs policy, separate to criminal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

to be going down the road of handing out suspensions relative to the extent of crimes would be a pretty dodgy road to go down.

How so?

The Rice ban is farcical, as the whole episode has been.

Trying to reconcile a 2 game stint for beating a woman with some of they other bans they've handed out is just impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Marshawn Lynch is holding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Marshawn Lynch is holding out.

Not surprised at all to hear that.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    How so?

The Rice ban is farcical, as the whole episode has been.

The NFL doesn't hear the evidence. If people think they should go 'wife beating? throw the book at him!', that's kangaroo court territory. If people think Ray Rice got off lightly for what he did, their issue is with the criminal justice system, not the NFL.
    Trying to reconcile a 2 game stint for beating a woman with some of they other bans they've handed out is just impossible.

The whole thing about comparing Josh Gordon's ban to Ray Rice's ban is flawed logic. One happened within the laws of the NFL, the other didn't.

They're not saying Gordon's offence is more serious, they're saying Gordon's fell under the remit of the NFL to deal with, Ray Rice's fell under the criminal justice system to deal with. The NFL applied a penalty for bringing the game into disrepute or whatever, but essentially they're leaving the courts to deal with it, who are much better equipped to do so.

They're not saying Gordon's offence is more serious, they're saying Gordon's fell under the remit of the NFL to deal with, Ray Rice's fell under the criminal justice system to deal with. The NFL applied a penalty for bringing the game into disrepute or whatever, but essentially they're leaving the courts to deal with it, who are much better equipped to do so.

it was probably under personal conduct, iirc that's what Big Ben was banned under. He got 4 games after the charges had been dropped.

did a quick google and got this, if anybody is interested.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The NFL doesn't hear the evidence. If people think they should go 'wife beating? throw the book at him!', that's kangaroo court territory. If people think Ray Rice got off lightly for what he did, their issue is with the criminal justice system, not the NFL.

The whole thing about comparing Josh Gordon's ban to Ray Rice's ban is flawed logic. One happened within the laws of the NFL, the other didn't.

Right, so why did he get any ban at all then? Either they feel it's in their remit or they don't, it can't be a little bit their business. If they feel they can hand out bans for both things, which they do, then the notion that rice is less guilty than Gordon is ****ing ridiculous. There's no way of taking round it.

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The NFLPA will have a huge influence in how long a play can be banned for due assualt/bringing the game into disrepute etc. Since there isn't a set/defined list of offences/punishments then the NFL have to tread carefully as if they handed out a year long suspension to Ray Rice for example then they'd face a huge backlash form the NFLPA.

With the drug situation there is a defined list of punishments already set out. Makes it far more difficult for the player/NFLPA to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Will Hill signed by the Ravens

If he makes the team he still has to serve his 6 game suspension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Will Hill signed by the Ravens

If he makes the team he still has to serve his 6 game suspension

This makes me :(

Potentially the best safety in the NFL. Glad he didn't go within our division

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Had a good laugh at Mike Zimmer.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000369024/Mike-Zimmer-mic-d-up-at-Vikings-training-camp

"I can find a cover 2 corner anywhere, I'm telling ya. We go down to the 7-11 in Bloomington."

:pac:

New Irish NFL site/podcast I notice...http://the819.tumblr.com/

Anyone here involved?

Listened to the first two podcasts. It's good, the guys know their stuff and do it with a bit of humour. Stylewise, similar to Off the Ball/Second Captains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The first major 49ers injury of the offseason...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369584/article/niners-rb-kendall-hunter-suffers-torn-acl

Kendall Hunter has torn his ACL and will miss the season. Terrible news for him and a bit worrying the amount of these sorts of injuries we are seeing.

adrian522 wrote: »
    The first major 49ers injury of the offseason...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369584/article/niners-rb-kendall-hunter-suffers-torn-acl

Kendall Hunter has torn his ACL and will miss the season. Terrible news for him and a bit worrying the amount of these sorts of injuries we are seeing.

Hope this isn't the start of it again. Last season we seemed to have an usually high amount during camp alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hope this isn't the start of it again. Last season we seemed to have an usually high amount during camp alone.

Non contact injury too .so hard to know how to prevent them

adrian522 wrote: »
    Non contact injury too .so hard to know how to prevent them

Just freaky crap really. Like our first round draft pick Dominique Easley, he's done both his ACL's through non-contact. I always find the non-contact injuries more worrying. A direct impact/contact injury is more understandable, but the non-contact ones can raise many questions regarding the how and the why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

ahem i understand you have to have confidence but jesus dee you need to show something first
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370024/article/new-york-jets-dee-milliner-im-the-best-corner-in-nfl

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

LaMichael James has dislocated his elbow also today.

Add that to Lattimore struggling still and suddenly it's a very sparse backfield there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just freaky crap really. Like our first round draft pick Dominique Easley, he's done both his ACL's through non-contact. I always find the non-contact injuries more worrying. A direct impact/contact injury is more understandable, but the non-contact ones can raise many questions regarding the how and the why?

I really think it's a case of bodies (in particular muscle mass) being too big and strong for supportive ligaments and connective tissues to cope. Hence more guys are checking into the snap city hotel than ever before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement